Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What player was your biggest disappointment this year.
(01-02-2019, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Josh Malone.....Watched him play in college. He is a great athlete with good ball skills. But we were paper thin at WR this year and he did nothing.

Alex Redmond....Like Malone he had no history of being productive in the NFL, but he seemed like the type of guy that just needed "polish" coming out of college. He is supposedly up there with Geno and Boling as the strongest guy on the team, and they also talked about his "nasty streak". But he did not do much of anything to impress me.

Burfict....One of my favorite players. Looked "flat" this year. With his latest concussion I don't expect anything special out of him ever again.

Ross was a disappointment, but I was kind of afraid he would struggle.

Some people will say Lawson, but according to an new ESPN pass rush stat called "win rate" Lawson was #2 in the league in beating his blocker even though he only had one sack before getting injured. Lawson and Hubbard could be the building blocks of our future defense.

Some people will also say William Jackson, but he has played great before and was not injured in 2018. I am guessing it was more about the defensive scheme that made everyone look bad than a lack of skill on Jacksons part.

Thought WJ3 would be the best shutdown Corner in the league this year and Burfict was a shadow of his former self. Those are the two that disappointed me the most.

Also thought Evans would be much better.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Price only played center one season in college and he was recovering from an injury in college.  I thought he might struggle as a rookie.

Jackson was a big disappointment, but I still think he can be a top CB if we get a better DC.

Once Marvin took over the D, Jackson quickly got back to what we thought he would be.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Burfict. Apparently he sucks without ped’s. Offensively still John Ross, a 9th pick has to be a difference maker and he is far from that
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 07:00 PM)uticabengalfan Wrote: Burfict. Apparently he sucks without ped’s. Offensively still John Ross, a 9th pick has to be a difference maker and he is far from that
7 TD's makes a difference i would think....

Ross knows how to find the End Zone even if i have been disappointed by his overall play so far.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 01:14 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Eifert. It's just so disappointing he can't stay on the field because it's a much different offense with him out there.

Eifert is mine as well although due to no fault of his own..    Dude just cant catch a break on the freak injuries.

Bufict was very disappointing overall as well.

Biggest disappointment overall has to be the DC Austin though
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 03:15 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I will say that I don't know how much we can really count his first season as a season given that he played all of 17 snaps.

I'm interested to see what a new coaching staff can do with him. This one obviously had no clue. It's interesting to me that he scored 7 TD's, indicating he can get open in the red zone when things get tight and it's typically harder to create separation, but he only had 14 catches otherwise.

No question his hands need to get significantly better. He had way too many drops.

Next year will be John Ross real first season
Reply/Quote
Burfict. I was hoping he would have a comeback year. I think hes done and thats a shame because he is one of my favorite players. Tez would bring a ferocity to the team when he was going on all cylinders.

My other disappointment was Ross. He is yet another Bengals high first round bust. He could still produce some good things but not at the position he was drafted.
Reply/Quote
Burfict. And it’s not even close.

Price was also disappointing, but he’s just a rookie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Burfict is the big one. Think he’s toast unfortunately. I’ll also throw in two rookies I really liked. Price and Jefferson. Definitely not giving up on price yet but have real concerns about Jefferson. Hopefully both can take a big step in year two.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 03:05 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Easier to list the players who did not disappoint.

This. Here is the list:

Joe Mixon
Sam Hubbard
Tyler Boyd
Jessie Bates
Clark Harris

That is all. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 03:05 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Easier to list the players who did not disappoint.

Ain’t that the truth.

Mine would probably look like this...

Mixon
Boyd
AJ
Williams
Bates
Hubbard

Short list.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 07:24 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Next year will be John Ross real first season

(01-02-2019, 10:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: Burfict. I was hoping he would have a comeback year. I think hes done and thats a shame because he is one of my favorite players. Tez would bring a ferocity to the team when he was going on all cylinders.

My other disappointment was Ross. He is yet another Bengals high first round bust. He could still produce some good things but not at the position he was drafted.

(01-02-2019, 11:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burfict. And it’s not even close.

Price was also disappointing, but he’s just a rookie.

(01-02-2019, 11:15 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Burfict is the big one. Think he’s toast unfortunately. I’ll also throw in two rookies I really liked. Price and Jefferson. Definitely not giving up on price yet but have real concerns about Jefferson. Hopefully both can take a big step in year two.

I haven't given up on Price or Ross yet. I'm hoping a new HC, new plan, new culture (hopefully) will make a big difference. We shall see.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 11:18 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: This. Here is the list:

Joe Mixon
Sam Hubbard
Tyler Boyd
Jessie Bates
Clark Harris

That is all. 

AJ was playing really well, but I can understand being disappointed by the injury. What about Williams though? He had a fine season.

Reply/Quote
OFFENSE: John Ross
DEFENSE: Burfict

I thought Ross would show something this year. He plays like a lower round draft pick.
Burfict is done.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 07:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: 7 TD's makes a difference i would think....

Ross knows how to find the End Zone even if i have been disappointed by his overall play so far.

It is all a matter of perspective.  If Auden Tate had put up Ross's numbers some people here would have licked his car clean and whinnied in delight over our "TD Machine".

I have never seen a small player so successful in a shurken space have so little production between the 20's where the field opens up and he has more space to manuveur.

When people complain about how bad the Bengals are at coaching/developing talent I usually point out that there aren't really a lot of cases of players getting more productive when they leave the Bengals for other teams.  And there have been several players that flopped elsewhere that were very productive for the Bengals.  But Ross's numbers don't make sense.   He needs to work on his hands and keeping his head in the game, but I think there is some untapped potential in Ross. We don't need a lot if Green and Boyd stay healthy, but the third WR plays a majority of the snaps.  Unless we use a first round pick on a TE opponents are going to load up to stop contain Green and Boyd.  We have to have a #3 who can make teams pay for that.
Reply/Quote
Glenn.

I give the entire defense a pass because of Austin's horrible scheme.
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
Cordy Glenn

- Offensive line was are biggest need heading into the season and I thought at the time it was a great trade acquiring a veteran LT and filling two holes on the offensive line with one pick. I thought he would be a very solid LT if he was healthy, however he did not impress me this season. Not sure how the draft looks for offensive tackles but if were picking at 11 and the best player on the board only plays left tackle maybe we can draft him and move Glenn to RT.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 12:02 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Cordy Glenn

- Offensive line was are biggest need heading into the season and I thought at the time it was a great trade acquiring a veteran LT and filling two holes on the offensive line with one pick. I thought he would be a very solid LT if he was healthy, however he did not impress me this season. Not sure how the draft looks for offensive tackles but if were picking at 11 and the best player on the board only plays left tackle maybe we can draft him and move Glenn to RT.

This.
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately we had several players with disappointing production.

1. Price
2. Burfict
3. Glenn
4. WJ III (he did turn it around after Marvin took over the D)
5. Ross (although he was a good redone target)

With that said, there were several players that were pleasant surprises or at least played better than expected.

1. Boyd
2. Bates
3. Hubbard
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Josh Malone.....Watched him play in college.  He is a great athlete with good ball skills.  But we were paper thin at WR this year and he did nothing.

Alex Redmond....Like Malone he had no history of being productive in the NFL, but he seemed like the type of guy that just needed "polish" coming out of college.  He is supposedly up there with Geno and Boling as the strongest guy on the team, and they also talked about his "nasty streak".  But he did not do much of anything to impress me.

Burfict....One of my favorite players.  Looked "flat" this year.  With his latest concussion I don't expect anything special out of him ever again.

Ross was a disappointment, but I was kind of afraid he would struggle.

Some people will say Lawson, but according to an new ESPN pass rush stat called "win rate" Lawson was #2 in the league in beating his blocker even though he only had one sack before getting injured.  Lawson and Hubbard could be the building blocks of our future defense.

Some people will also say William Jackson, but he has played great before and was not injured in 2018.  I am guessing it was more about the defensive scheme that made everyone look bad than a lack of skill on Jacksons part.

Definitely agree on Malone.  After the interception in the Carolina game on the ball that bounced off his should pads, he put himself behind Cody Core and we basically never saw him again the rest of the year.  Cody Core! c'mon Josh

Redmond - agree 100%

Burfict - also one of my favorite players Sad  He looks completely finished and hasn't been football "ready" for the start of a season in almost 4 years due to injury or suspension... between concussions and never being in shape, I am stuck wondering how he would've been regarded differently had the '16 playoff collapse ended with his interception of Ben and Jeremy NOT fumbling.  Tez would've been a hero and not the poster boy for thug Bengal football.

Ross - I am still one of the few that have not given up on Ross.  I do not believe we have put him in situations to "win" thus far, though I admit he has messed up enough to not warrant a lot of confidence yet.  They need to understand that his size should make him more of a slot and gimmick threat similar to Tyreek Hill... Hill torched defenses from the slot this year, they attacked deep safeties with him from that spot and were extremely successful.  Get Ross away from the boundary, he is not physical enough and needs to get off of the press and/or bigger CBs.

Lawson did not produce the sacks this yr while he was active but he still rated very highly as a run defender before he blew his ACL.  That goes a long way and I do feel they missed him a lot up front.  Only plus was the emergence of Hubbard.  Really like that kid!

Jackson, I believe will bounce back and be ok.  Consider it his "sophomore" slump imo as '17 was more-or-less his rookie season.  The dysfunctional defense at the onset of the season was as much due to scheme not fitting personnel... or at the very least the scheme being too unfamiliar to our defensive players' instincts and we were left making mental errors and being picked apart while being tentative and out of position.

The one alarming thing with the secondary this year would be the lack of interceptions by any of our starting DBs... absolutely none for our CBs, Williams got one finally in the last game vs. Pitt... only Bates was a true threat to make any plays on balls in the air.  I saw Dennard drop two that hit him in the chest, and another that JuJu took out of his hands that he should've intercepted before busting up his shoulder on that TD.

Jessie Bates is going to be a great FS imo
Reply/Quote