Poll: What's been more exhausting?
Chase vs Sewell debate
Hoopla around the jerseys
Others (please specify in comments)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's been more exhausting?
(04-22-2021, 07:15 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: The Sewell vs. Chase Poll is over 30 days old with Sewell leading by 57 votes. There has been much debate since then. It would be interesting to start a new poll to see how many people have changed their minds as we get closer to the draft.

Does that poll ask who we would pick or who the Bengals will pick?

To me there is a big difference.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 09:07 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The Chase v. Sewell debate. Not enough posters recognize each player can be a good pick. People dig their heals into only one can be the pick.

Actually I think there are quite a few who would be happy with either.  They just don't dominate the debates.

I want Sewell, but I won't be upset with Chase as long as we go O-line with #38.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, kinda hope they take Chase so I can spend my Sundays fishing.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 04:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Chase vs. Sewell debate for me no question.

It's gotten to the point where I'm looking forward to draft more because I want the debate to stop than I want to see our picks.

I've never seen a topic take over the board quite like this one. I understand it's a slow time of year with little to talk about but surely there's other things to discuss. It's been the same topic for weeks now, with the same people and the same argument. And it just goes on and on, and on...

Look, I'm not going to knock people for having opinions. But my own is that enitely way too much focus is being placed on a singular pick. The entire draft matters, and I think we can go a number of different ways with the 1st pick and still have a successful draft.

I can't wait to see the Sewell and Chase threads slowly start sliding down the page, until they're long forgotten, and we can actually start to talk about something else.

I think one of the more positive things is that the majority of the people debating the topic are okay with either player (or even Pitts) even if it’s not the guy they were rooting for. Now the bengals fan in me is waiting for a fourth person to get picked so that we can whine and moan and groan about that for the rest of the offseason
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 04:14 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Fans acting like drafting anybody other than Penei Sewell at #5 means instant death for Joe Burrow.

we have 2 bad starters, 1 average that is coming back from an injury, 1 decent starter that has played 10 games in 2 seasons and a good starter on what a 1 year deal and almost no depth?  Ya he dead....
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 01:01 AM)ah5 Wrote: Honestly, kinda hope they take Chase so I can spend my Sundays fishing.

Cause we’ll be blowing teams out by halftime every week? Big Grin

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 12:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Does that poll ask who we would pick or who the Bengals will pick?

To me there is a big difference.

That is an interesting question.  In our board’s poll on March 20, Godfather asked, “First round pick 5, Bengals have both Sewell and Chase available, Mike Brown looks at you and says your decision and why? Then Bengals pull the trigger on your selection from these two.”

It sounds like Godfather was asking who should the Bengals pick, but I can see how that is different from asking who will the Bengals pick.

And it does appear that Bengals ownership is influenced by the will of the fans.  For example, Mike Brown seems to blame the fans for the hiring of Zac Taylor when he said, “Our fans wanted a fresh new direction two years ago, and that is what we aimed to do in hiring a bright, energetic head coach in Zac Taylor.”
Reply/Quote
Other. . . I am getting kind of tired of the "Draft whoever Burrow wants" argument.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 12:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I think there are quite a few who would be happy with either.  They just don't dominate the debates.

I want Sewell, but I won't be upset with Chase as long as we go O-line with #38.

I'm right there with you about being content if they get Chase at 5 & an OL in the second round. Admittedly, I don't know anything about the second round talents, but I'm sure the board will jump in with opinions if we get an OL in round two.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 08:59 AM)OBX Bengal Wrote: That is an interesting question.  In our board’s poll on March 20, Godfather asked, “First round pick 5, Bengals have both Sewell and Chase available, Mike Brown looks at you and says your decision and why? Then Bengals pull the trigger on your selection from these two.”

It sounds like Godfather was asking who should the Bengals pick, but I can see how that is different from asking who will the Bengals pick.

And it does appear that Bengals ownership is influenced by the will of the fans.  For example, Mike Brown seems to blame the fans for the hiring of Zac Taylor when he said, “Our fans wanted a fresh new direction two years ago, and that is what we aimed to do in hiring a bright, energetic head coach in Zac Taylor.”

Is he wrong though?  I mean sorry but that's what 80% of the fan base was hoping for when they decided to move on from Marvin. An up and coming young energetic coach.  The fans just meant an up and coming young energetic coach with experience as a OC or something other than the highest level of NFL coaching they've had is a Quarterback Coach. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 01:01 AM)ah5 Wrote: Honestly, kinda hope they take Chase so I can spend my Sundays fishing.

Why not go fishing and listen to the game on the radio with headphones on?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 09:18 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Is he wrong though?  I mean sorry but that's what 80% of the fan base was hoping for when they decided to move on from Marvin. An up and coming young energetic coach.  The fans just meant an up and coming young energetic coach with experience as a OC or something other than the highest level of NFL coaching they've had is a Quarterback Coach. 

I would argue most fans wanted Eric Bieniemy, not Zac Taylor.
If people were worried about Bieniemy not actually running KC's offense, they should have been more worried that Taylor was only ever an interim OC for MIA and ran a terrible offense at UC as their OC for just one year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 09:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I would argue most fans wanted Eric Bieniemy, not Zac Taylor.
If people were worried about Bieniemy not actually running KC's offense, they should have been more worried that Taylor was only ever an interim OC for MIA and ran a terrible offense at UC as their OC for just one year.

Ocho i would agree with you that most fans probably did want Bieniemy, but as I've always heard want one hand and crap in the other see which one gets full quicker.  

Bieneimy is a former Bengal who was a good player for us for a good bit.  

The front office probably looks at it and says okay we have a QB coach who's never called plays in the NFL but has been a college OC (not a good one but still one) and then we have a guy who's OC in title but the head coach calls all the plays (similarly to Brian Callahan, our current OC).

I would never hire our OC, because quite honestly i have no flipping clue what he does.  Zac calls the plays, it's his system so why am I hiring a guy who has no responsibility.  Same thing with Bieneimy.  

Also, it wouldnt surprise me if it came down to compensation and pay that each of the coaches wanted either. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 08:59 AM)OBX Bengal Wrote: That is an interesting question.  In our board’s poll on March 20, Godfather asked, “First round pick 5, Bengals have both Sewell and Chase available, Mike Brown looks at you and says your decision and why? Then Bengals pull the trigger on your selection from these two.”

Yeah classic example of be careful what you wish for. 

We got a guy that has high energy but no clue on the sidelines.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 09:52 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Ocho i would agree with you that most fans probably did want Bieniemy, but as I've always heard want one hand and crap in the other see which one gets full quicker.  

Bieneimy is a former Bengal who was a good player for us for a good bit.  

The front office probably looks at it and says okay we have a QB coach who's never called plays in the NFL but has been a college OC (not a good one but still one) and then we have a guy who's OC in title but the head coach calls all the plays (similarly to Brian Callahan, our current OC).

I would never hire our OC, because quite honestly i have no flipping clue what he does.  Zac calls the plays, it's his system so why am I hiring a guy who has no responsibility.  Same thing with Bieneimy.  

Also, it wouldnt surprise me if it came down to compensation and pay that each of the coaches wanted either. 

Too bad the Bengals missed out on Matt LaFleur. His draft choices have been questionable, but he's helped turn a 6-9-1 GB team to back-to-back 13-3 seasons and a postseason win in each.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 10:21 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Too bad the Bengals missed out on Matt LaFleur. His draft choices have been questionable, but he's helped turn a 6-9-1 GB team to back-to-back 13-3 seasons and a postseason win in each.

Not to toot my own horn, but LaFleur was a big favorite of mine several years ago.

It was met with a collective "meh"...but every offense he touched had success.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 03:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not to toot my own horn, but LaFleur was a big favorite of mine several years ago.

It was met with a collective "meh"...but every offense he touched had success.

I liked LaFleur too. He was up there for me along with Bieniemy.
I had them both over Taylor.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 09:45 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Why not go fishing and listen to the game on the radio with headphones on?

I dont think I can pick it up on the radio in Nevada, that would be dope though.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 01:32 AM)ah5 Wrote: I dont think I can pick it up on the radio in Nevada, that would be dope though.

You can subscribe to tunein radio premium and stream the audio from any NFL game anywhere.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Sewell guys are going to implode if he isn’t tge pick.

If he’s drafted before, they will implode because they didn’t trade up for him.

Either way I’m grilling a porterhouse and a potato and having a nice beer and watching it all unfold.
Reply/Quote