Poll: What's been more exhausting?
Chase vs Sewell debate
Hoopla around the jerseys
Others (please specify in comments)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's been more exhausting?
(04-26-2021, 11:10 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: The Sewell guys are going to implode if he isn’t tge pick.

If he’s drafted before, they will implode because they didn’t trade up for him.

Chasr guys will do the same.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Chasr guys will do the same.

I’m more of a chase/Pitts guy than Sewell, but so long as they don’t reach on a guy at 5 I’ll be excited about the young player at his position if need.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 12:49 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’m more of a chase/Pitts guy than Sewell, but so long as they don’t reach on a guy at 5 I’ll be excited about the young player at his position if need.

Curious to how the reactions would be if we went with Slater at 5.  There are arguments that could be made that he would be the safer pick with the more immediate impact and versatility (btw, not saying that I necessarily want us to do this).  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 11:10 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: The Sewell guys are going to implode if he isn’t tge pick.

If he’s drafted before, they will implode because they didn’t trade up for him.

Either way I’m grilling a porterhouse and a potato and having a nice beer and watching it all unfold.

1. I'm probably the biggest Sewell guy on here, and I won't "implode". I fully expect Chase to be the pick, based on how this team operates. Fortunately as a Bengals fan, I'm well versed in handling disappointment. I'll probably do my fair share of imploding though, if (a) guys like Marshall and Bateman are there in round 2 and/or (b) we pass on a lineman in round 2.

2. The biggest Chase supporters in this forum will most definitely be majorly disappointed if Chase isn't the pick. Some are talking about being happy either way, while making 30 posts a day arguing for Chase and downplaying the need on the o-line. Tbh, some people care about their image on here. They want to appear objective. That doesn't mean they won't be crying in their Chase jerseys if he ain't the pick.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Actually the Chase supporters have been the ones who have said they are good either way. Some of the Sewell ones are the ones who act like picking Chase is a catastrophe.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. I'm probably the biggest Sewell guy on here, and I won't "implode". I fully expect Chase to be the pick, based on how this team operates. Fortunately as a Bengals fan, I'm well versed in handling disappointment. I'll probably do my fair share of imploding though, if (a) guys like Marshall and Bateman are there in round 2 and/or (b) we pass on a lineman in round 2.

2. The biggest Chase supporters in this forum will most definitely be majorly disappointed if Chase isn't the pick. Some are talking about being happy either way, while making 30 posts a day arguing for Chase and downplaying the need on the o-line. Tbh, some people care about their image on here. They want to appear objective. That doesn't mean they won't be crying in their Chase jerseys if he ain't the pick.

I think the Bengals kind of showed their cards more when they signed Reiff but didn't sign any decent WR in FA.
Combine that with Tobin (I think?) saying that the 1st round pick will be an immediate contributor.

I fully expect the Bengals to get a pass catcher in Rd 1 and then 1 (maybe even 2) OL on Day 2.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the Bengals kind of showed their cards more when they signed Reiff but didn't sign any decent WR in FA.
Combine that with Tobin (I think?) saying that the 1st round pick will be an immediate contributor.

I fully expect the Bengals to get a pass catcher in Rd 1 and then 1 (maybe even 2) OL on Day 2.

I'm just so sick of the line not being priority A1...because it's been problem A1 for going on 6 years now.

That's my whole reason why I can't get behind the "take a lineman later" thinking. It makes sense on the surface, but it also smells like you're not prioritizing something that desperately needs prioritized.

O-line feels like that middle child gets lame gifts while the others get a PS5.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. I'm probably the biggest Sewell guy on here, and I won't "implode". I fully expect Chase to be the pick, based on how this team operates. Fortunately as a Bengals fan, I'm well versed in handling disappointment. I'll probably do my fair share of imploding though, if (a) guys like Marshall and Bateman are there in round 2 and/or (b) we pass on a lineman in round 2.

I’m seriously all for drafting one of the 3 players available at 5, and you can make clear arguments for each player, which you can’t say that in most drafts. I’m already hearing the draft names in my head and pumping my fist at each name call. You cannot say one of these players won’t make an instant impact to the offense this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the Bengals kind of showed their cards more when they signed Reiff but didn't sign any decent WR in FA.

As thin as we are behind Boyd and Higgins I expected us to sign at least on mid tier WR. The WRs at the top make bug money but you can usually find a decent proven #3 WR at a very reasonable price.

Since they did not sign any WRs at all I expect us to draft at least 2.
Reply/Quote
50+ years of being a Bengals fan...period..and I'll just get older no matter what they do or don't do..exhausting! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 02:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm just so sick of the line not being priority A1...because it's been problem A1 for going on 6 years now.

That's my whole reason why I can't get behind the "take a lineman later" thinking. It makes sense on the surface, but it also smells like you're not prioritizing something that desperately needs prioritized.

They did get Reiff, but it was just a 1-year deal. They might re-sign him for another couple years depending on how he does.
Their big need right now is OG.
They seem to be "ok" with Spain and XSF as the incumbent starters, and likely will (hope to) get a new OL or two who could start at OG.

I am a bit frustrated that they didn't try hard enough (offer enough) to sign Thuney or even Zeitler though. Anyone who looked into cut candidates knew they would have had enough $$ if they were willing to move on from guys. But they waited too long into FA to move on, resulting in a bad pool of candidates remaining.

Zeitler or Thuney starting at OG with XSF at the other, Williams and Reiff at OT, and Hopkins at C would have been a quality OL (on paper).
EDIT - Heck, if they would have been willing to move on from Uzomah too, they could have gone with a WR and TE in Rds 1 and 2, and then drafted a swing OT in Rd 3 to groom behind Reiff.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As thin as we are behind Boyd and Higgins I expected us to sign at least on mid tier WR. The WRs at the top make bug money but you can usually find a decent proven #3 WR at a very reasonable price.

Since they did not sign any WRs at all I expect us to draft at least 2.

Indeed. I thought for sure someone like Reynolds, Watkins, or Conley would have been a target.
I expect two WRs drafted as well. One in Rd 1-2, the other on Day 3 somewhere (my money is Rd 6).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. I'm probably the biggest Sewell guy on here, and I won't "implode". I fully expect Chase to be the pick, based on how this team operates. Fortunately as a Bengals fan, I'm well versed in handling disappointment. I'll probably do my fair share of imploding though, if (a) guys like Marshall and Bateman are there in round 2 and/or (b) we pass on a lineman in round 2.

Marshall is probably going to be there at 38 now that these medical concerns have popped up. Before that I don’t think he would have been. And he was my #1 choice for a 2nd round WR if we took Sewell, but now I’d have pretty mixed feelings about taking that risk. At least that high anyway.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 07:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: Personally, I won't complain if we take Chase, Pitts, or Sewell at 5.  Hard to say about a trade down until you see the terms and who we wind up with.  I honestly don't get the vibe that most of the other members of "Team Chase" will be upset with Sewell or Pitts, either.  Team Sewell has most of the drama queens in the debate.  You know, the guys who are like "the season is lost", "only dumb teams would take", "Burrow will die if we don't", "waste the pick", etc.

I agree Chase, Sewell or Pitts works for me

Uniform debate I ignored, I could care less about uniforms. I care about winning, not looking pretty.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 02:06 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’m seriously all for drafting one of the 3 players available at 5, and you can make clear arguments for each player, which you can’t say that in most drafts. I’m already hearing the draft names in my head and pumping my fist at each name call. You cannot say one of these players won’t make an instant impact to the  offense this year.

As long as we have solid blocking, I don't doubt Chase at all. I think he'd have a major impact and instant chemistry with Burrow.

(04-26-2021, 02:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They did get Reiff, but it was just a 1-year deal. They might re-sign him for another couple years depending on how he does.
Their big need right now is OG.
They seem to be "ok" with Spain and XSF as the incumbent starters, and likely will (hope to) get a new OL or two who could start at OG.

I am a bit frustrated that they didn't try hard enough (offer enough) to sign Thuney or even Zeitler though. Anyone who looked into cut candidates knew they would have had enough $$ if they were willing to move on from guys. But they waited too long into FA to move on, resulting in a bad pool of candidates remaining.

Zeitler or Thuney starting at OG with XSF at the other, Williams and Reiff at OT, and Hopkins at C would have been a quality OL (on paper).
EDIT - Heck, if they would have been willing to move on from Uzomah too, they could have gone with a WR and TE in Rds 1 and 2, and then drafted a swing OT in Rd 3 to groom behind Reiff.

I certainly would be all aboard the Chase train if they'd signed Thuney or Zeitler. Cry 

As it stands, I'd want to take Sewell and bump Reiff to the interior. He's said he's okay with moving and he's done it before. Then the right side would be entirely solidified. Our line is so weak though, that I'd still be worried about the other 3 spots. Hopkins would be the weak link on most good teams. XSF can't stay healthy and was terrible when he played. Jonah is solid, but still has health concerns.

Ugh is all I can say. As bad as the situation looks, I just can't look at Chase and think "sure, just nab a linemen later, why not". That feels like putting a band-aid on severed artery.

The thing that sucks, is people think I'm being unreasonable about this...but I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable at all. Our line just stinks. Stinks.

(04-26-2021, 08:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Marshall is probably going to be there at 38 now that these medical concerns have popped up. Before that I don’t think he would have been. And he was my #1 choice for a 2nd round WR if we took Sewell, but now I’d have pretty mixed feelings about taking that risk. At least that high anyway.

It depends on how bad those concerns are.

Fwiw I do like Bateman and a couple others, if not Marshall...and I wouldn't mind using a later pick on Marshall if he really slides.
Reply/Quote
Sewell vs Chase argument- Both sides are over dramatic (more so the Sewell guys. It's not even close it's the Sewell gang. Omg Burrow will die or retire next season if we draft Chase BS.).

What's even more frustrating is neither side is right. The obvious answer is fine a trade partner and trade down. Don't get me wrong I like both players but we're good at OT and WR. What we really need is multiple IOLs and D-Line. Both of those positions should be loaded in the 2nd- 4th RDs. If we can get multiple picks in the 2nd & 3rd RD to build those positions along with drafting a T + WR. We would be in much better shape than we are now.
For Example
Option A Move four spots down with Denver & get an extra 2nd + 3rd Or option B stay at 5
1st.) T/WR  or 1st.) WR/T
2nd)WR/T.       2nd) T/WR
2b.)E.                       3.) E/DT/IOL
3.) IOL
3b.)DT
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 08:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I certainly would be all aboard the Chase train if they'd signed Thuney or Zeitler. Cry 

As it stands, I'd want to take Sewell and bump Reiff to the interior. He's said he's okay with moving and he's done it before. Then the right side would be entirely solidified. Our line is so weak though, that I'd still be worried about the other 3 spots. Hopkins would be the weak link on most good teams. XSF can't stay healthy and was terrible when he played. Jonah is solid, but still has health concerns.

Reiff said he'd be ok playing OG? I must have missed that.
I know he said he would be ok with playing RT.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 02:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm just so sick of the line not being priority A1...because it's been problem A1 for going on 6 years now.

Remember when there was no reason to replace Dalton until we fixed the online?  Oof.

I think we should just pick the guy Burrow wants
But unless the falcons take chase he's gotta be the pick.  Hell the idea of burrow chucking and ducking with Pitts sounds ok, too.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:17 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Remember when there was no reason to replace Dalton until we fixed the online?  Oof.

I think we should just pick the guy Burrow wants.

well i guess we couldnt expect dalton to play forver.

QB needs more than 2 wins before he gets to make any draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:19 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well i guess we couldnt expect dalton to play forver.

QB needs more than 2 wins before he gets to make any draft picks.

I'll admit I'm mostly playing devil's advoate with the "Burrow should be the GM" talk (imagine that) but you have to look at the situation we are in.

We are a franchise with 0 SBs in 53 years and 0 playoff wins in 30 years and yet we are all very able to envision the Bengals winning a SB in the future and that is because of one thing and one thing alone...Joe Burrow.  I don't think Burrow will want out of Cincy if we take Sewell, but at the same time if we are hoping the guy is here for 15 years then what is so wild about making what he wants a priority?  And true, players aren't GMs and good players aren't good GMs (lookin' at you, John Denver in Elway), but come on...Burrow is all that matters.
Reply/Quote