Poll: Next position to be addressed in free agency?
LG
C
RT
CB
TE
Other
We're done
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's next?
I for one don't think Karras should play C. At least not with the team we have at the moment. His grades at C in 2019 & 2020 are around 65 and Hopkins' are around 62-63. It is pretty close. Karras was a top 25 guard in the league last year, play him where he excelled.

Now, if we land Bozeman. Or draft Green or Johnson. Or Carman dominates camp at LG, then make an adjustment. But I'd rather spend Spain's money at RT, CB, or TE at the moment. We have a top 25 guard at LG and RG and have a guy we used a 2nd round pick on backing them up.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:28 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This ^^^^^^^

Agree, fix offense here and now and let the defense have the early picks imo and let the fireworks begin. 

This Draft will have a lot of great defensive players to pick from where we pick no question. I don't think we ignore RT after today.

They shown they are going to be very aggressive and want to fix the O-line, getting Cappa and Karras the way they did also helps 
to afford a top RT or trade for Collins. I think they are just taking a step back and letting the market shake itself out.

Should be a few very interesting days coming up to boot. Bringing BJ Hill back was the one guy I needed to see brought back and 
it could be looked at as a bargain on down the road if he improves his pass rush which is entirely possible with his youth and upside.
Reply/Quote
Re-sign Apple / Spain , Cut Waynes/Hopkins , Sign a mid tier CB / RT, Draft BPA - Thanks ser

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:11 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Re-sign Apple / Spain , Cut Waynes/Hopkins , Sign a mid tier CB / RT, Draft BPA - Thanks ser

Spain might not be resigned.  Karras might be the new LG.  If Bozeman is signed it is goodbye to both Spain and Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:16 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Spain might not be resigned.  Karras might be the new LG.  If Bozeman is signed it is goodbye to both Spain and Hopkins.

That would be idea. But re-signing Spain is more likely.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:25 PM)jeremydc Wrote: That would be idea. But re-signing Spain is more likely.

If they can get Bozeman close to Hopkins 6 million cap hit they should jump on it.  Maybe Bozeman is asking too much or maybe the coaching staff dont think he is what the team needs.  Even if they cant get Bozeman I think I would still rather have Karras at LG and Hopkins at center vs having Karras play center and bringing back Spain.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:37 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If they can get Bozeman close to Hopkins 6 million cap hit they should jump on it.  Maybe Bozeman is asking too much or maybe the coaching staff dont think he is what the team needs.  Even if they cant get Bozeman I think I would still rather have Karras at LG and Hopkins at center vs having Karras play center and bringing back Spain.

Spain is ok. But, we want to win a SB so ok might not be good enough.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Spain is ok. But, we want to win a SB so ok might not be good enough.

Which is why I would like to see us sign Bozeman so we can say bye to both Spain and Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This Draft will have a lot of great defensive players to pick from where we pick no question. I don't think we ignore RT after today.

They shown they are going to be very aggressive and want to fix the O-line, getting Cappa and Karras the way they did also helps 
to afford a top RT or trade for Collins. I think they are just taking a step back and letting the market shake itself out.

Should be a few very interesting days coming up to boot. Bringing BJ Hill back was the one guy I needed to see brought back and 
it could be looked at as a bargain on down the road if he improves his pass rush which is entirely possible with his youth and upside.

Agree and believe they will try to get a RT still in FA as well so they can focus mainly on defense in draft. Bengals have baked the cake now but a RT and TE would be some sweet icing to top it off.  

Would still like to see some fresh legs by drafting a RB to help alleviate some of the load from Mixon. Especially since it appears we may be running a little more now with these O-line improvements. But that can be gotten in the mid rounds. 

Hill was a must sign too after letting Ogunjobi walk and very happy as well that this got done. It's a very good start !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
As some have mentioned the market will settle and Cincy is now in position to get the right value and fit. I thought the debate would be one of the many solid guards taking less vs filling the RT spot in a lesser market. That was until Darryl William's hitting the market, Collins in a trade and I'm sure I'm missing someone.

If Darryl Williams doesn't go to NYG, I'd rather have him as a quality pass/descent run blocker over giving up a 1st or 2nd for Collins. Collins for a 3rd trump's that, and James Daniels still on the market gives me pause. If you can get a good young fit like him (or Bozeman for some of you) I'd be tempted to sign the guard if RT options dwindle and RT becomes the Smith, Carmen, 3M range FA or mid round pick battle. I'd prioritize a pass blocking RT, but at the right price I'll take another IOL. I'm not against Spain coming back, but not if it means a lesser RT.

Then again, if the right CB falls into place I'd do that and still sign one more OL at least. TE and CB could be a platoon situation with a 5M range player at each and a draft pick (1st or 2nd on a CB, say a 3rd-5th depending on BPA at TE).
Reply/Quote
The team has a plan for either Hopkins or Spain.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:37 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If they can get Bozeman close to Hopkins 6 million cap hit they should jump on it.  Maybe Bozeman is asking too much or maybe the coaching staff dont think he is what the team needs.  Even if they cant get Bozeman I think I would still rather have Karras at LG and Hopkins at center vs having Karras play center and bringing back Spain.

Bozeman is in the area of 10M this free agency.  If he signs for lower it will probably be back at Baltimore.

Reply/Quote
I came in late to the voting - so we already had both Cappa and Karras as well BJ. So, I went w/ CB.

However, I'll be happy with any of the following: CB, RT, or TE.
Reply/Quote
Johnny Hekker is set to be released by the Rams. Definitely would be a big upgrade over Huber.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
FWIW, we currently have 54 players under contract. So when you see cap estimates, realize it is a full roster. No empty spaces. So when we sign a guy (or draft one), we lose what it cost to sign the player out of our space, but we are also gaining back the player who was in that salary spot (bee it $700k, $800k, $900k, whatever).

Now, the last dozen or so guys in that 54 are guys from the practice squad, with very low or no dead money if cut. But some of them played and played decently last year (Spence at DE, Johnston at LB).

Our projected rookie cap cost is a bit over $5 mil if everyone is signed. But cutting our 7 lowest signed players to make room for them also nets over $5 mil. It is nearly a wash. Of course, the highest paid rooks are more likely to make the squad, but if we cut a guy earning a bit more to compensate.....still a wash. No real need to chop $5 mil off our space to compensate.

With all that, cap, rollover, dead cap, adjustments, and guys we have signed so far, I have us at $13.5 in space. Cutting Waynes ($10.9), Fred Johnson ($2.4) and Brandon Wilson ($2) would clear $15 mil more and put us at $28.7.
Reply/Quote
If they re-sign Spain prepare for Carmen getting a look at RT
Reply/Quote
One of the top Centers in the league was released today, JC Tretter.

Our oline would be nasty and no need to discuss Carmen or anyone else on the bench with this guy...

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:14 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: If they re-sign Spain prepare for Carmen getting a look at RT

We're going to sign two more OL and you can quote me on that. RT and C.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:25 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and believe they will try to get a RT still in FA as well so they can focus mainly on defense in draft. Bengals have baked the cake now but a RT and TE would be some sweet icing to top it off.  

Would still like to see some fresh legs by drafting a RB to help alleviate some of the load from Mixon. Especially since it appears we may be running a little more now with these O-line improvements. But that can be gotten in the mid rounds. 

Hill was a must sign too after letting Ogunjobi walk and very happy as well that this got done. It's a very good start !

That is what is awesome if we get the RT, it makes it open for us to draft a talented RB in the mid rounds.

Would love this, haven't really been able to really look at RB's prior to the draft like I like to since the Mixon/Kamara draft.

I love analyzing RB play. Has to be good at picking up the blitz first and then you go from there.
Reply/Quote
Quiet so far today.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote