Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the hell happened to Billy?
What happened to Billy Price? That’s easy. Jim Turner happened to Billy Price.

Last year, before Billy Price was injured, the Bengals were undefeated. There was a decent balance between pass and run and Frank Pollack had the offensive line run blocking better. Billy was looking strong.

Now, in 2019, the entire offensive line is horrible and Frank Pollack isn’t here anymore. Zac Taylor hired maybe the worst character in football — Jim Turner — who has turned every offensive line he’s ever coached into a steaming pile of false starting diarrhea.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 06:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What happened to Billy Price?  That’s easy.  Jim Turner happened to Billy Price.  

Last year, before Billy Price was injured, the Bengals were undefeated.  There was a decent balance between pass and run and Frank Pollack had the offensive line run blocking better.  Billy was looking strong.

Now, in 2019, the entire offensive line is horrible and Frank Pollack isn’t here anymore.  Zac Taylor hired maybe the worst character in football — Jim Turner — who has turned every offensive line he’s ever coached into a steaming pile of false starting diarrhea.

Seems like Hopkins and Miller were doing OK
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 06:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What happened to Billy Price?  That’s easy.  Jim Turner happened to Billy Price.  

Last year, before Billy Price was injured, the Bengals were undefeated.  There was a decent balance between pass and run and Frank Pollack had the offensive line run blocking better.  Billy was looking strong.

Now, in 2019, the entire offensive line is horrible and Frank Pollack isn’t here anymore.  Zac Taylor hired maybe the worst character in football — Jim Turner — who has turned every offensive line he’s ever coached into a steaming pile of false starting diarrhea.

Why did Pollack leave? If I remember he quit after a few weeks of Zac coming in. I could be wrong, but in that case, maybe ZT was just rushed to find someone available? Not defending, just asking.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 07:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Why did Pollack leave? If I remember he quit after a few weeks of Zac coming in. I could be wrong, but in that case, maybe ZT was just rushed to find someone available? Not defending, just asking.

As I understand it, Frank Pollack was given the option to leave after last year. He was not overtly fired.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 07:20 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: He's from ohio state though? Isnt he the greatest player on earth according to ohio state fans?

The guy won the Remington award in college for best Center in NCAA.

It's not like Ohio State fans propped up some random player.

You've got to admit it's kind of shocking that he's playing this bad.

I don't see a lot of people banging the drum for Billy around these parts and there are many OSU fans here.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 06:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What happened to Billy Price? That’s easy. Jim Turner happened to Billy Price.

Last year, before Billy Price was injured, the Bengals were undefeated. There was a decent balance between pass and run and Frank Pollack had the offensive line run blocking better. Billy was looking strong.

Now, in 2019, the entire offensive line is horrible and Frank Pollack isn’t here anymore. Zac Taylor hired maybe the worst character in football — Jim Turner — who has turned every offensive line he’s ever coached into a steaming pile of false starting diarrhea.

This is utter nonsense. The Bengals being undefeated had zero to do with Price. Price sucked last year and he sucks this year. Stop making excuses. The dude is a bust.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 03:44 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Maybe it’s time to stop drafting Buckeyes.

Price was a shitty pick in a long, long line of them.

Hubbard was a good pick.

That Chase Young guy looks halfway decent, too...

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 07:20 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: He's from ohio state though? Isnt he the greatest player on earth according to ohio state fans?

First of all, I went to Ohio State for my BS and my MS — and I’m a normal Buckeye fan — so let me help you out with this.

No, Billy Price is not the greatest player on earth. Ohio State has been turning out some excellent professionals of late. Billy Price was a great center for the Buckeyes as was Pat Elflein who is now playing in Minnesota. Some Ohio State players work out well in the NFL but others do not. I have yet to see a Buckeye quarterback make it big with the pros, for example.

Our Buckeye fandom does not extend into the NFL. We’re happy when our alumni make it big, like the Bosa Brothers, but in the draft we’re not rooting for our own players to necessarily be drafted. For example, I was happy the Bengals drafted Leon Hall out of Michigan because he was the best cornerback on the board at the time.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 07:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: First of all, I went to Ohio State for my BS and my MS — and I’m a normal Buckeye fan — so let me help you out with this.

No, Billy Price is not the greatest player on earth.  Ohio State has been turning out some excellent professionals of late.  Billy Price was a great center for the Buckeyes as was Pat Elflein who is now playing in Minnesota.  Some Ohio State players work out well in the NFL but others do not.  I have yet to see a Buckeye quarterback make it big with the pros, for example.  

Our Buckeye fandom does not extend into the NFL.  We’re happy when our alumni make it big, like the Bosa Brothers, but in the draft we’re not rooting for our own players to necessarily be drafted.  For example, I was happy the Bengals drafted Leon Hall out of Michigan because he was the best cornerback on the board at the time.

I have to agree. I have a B.S. from OSU, as well as season tickets.

Ohio State has 45 active NFL players (2nd in the NFL). That being said, college sports are designed to "school" talented players to the next level. These kids really don't have any real allegiance to the school for where they played. They want to get to the next level and the big paycheck. College basketball is the epitome of this with its "one and done" policy. You really think Zion Williamson gives crap about Duke? Or, Karl-Anthony Towns gives a crap about University of Kentucky?

I love Buckeye football but, at the NFL level, don't care where the players played. As much as I dislike Michigan and Alabama, if the entire Bengal team had players from those schools, and won a Super Bowl, I would be as happy a pig in (fill in the blank).

Price being from Ohio State is not the important issue. Having poor scouts and draft selections is the issue.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 03:44 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Maybe it’s time to stop drafting Buckeyes.

Price was a shitty pick in a long, long line of them.

That’s blasphemy! OSU players aren’t shitty just ask every OSU homer on this board that pimps the current year OSU great....see Dwayne Haskins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
LOL at all those people that are claiming they "knew" Price was just terrible.

If I recall, there were 3 consensus top Centers. Ragnow, Price and Daniels.

Daniels was the "weakest" of the 3 being called a "pure center" and more of a technician than having raw talent. Price was right there with Ragnow as being the "best". Price was considered a naturally talented player but that he needed help with his technique. The belief was that NFL coaches will improve his lack of technique and build up from his talent.

Ragnow was considered a cross between the 2. He wasn't as technically sound as Daniels and he wasn't a naturally talented as Price. Many gave Ragnow a slight edge over Price but still considered Price to be a solid starter for any team that drafted him.

Ragnow went to Detroit before our pick, so it isn't known if we would have taken Ragnow over Price or not. However it is known that we passed on Daniels for Price.

Now the key with Price is the coaching. Frank Pollack picked Price and early signs were that Price would develop. Yet we let Pollack go (either he quit, we fired or mutual parting of the ways)* and replaced Pollack with Jim Turner. Turner has 25 years experience, 2 in the NFL. He is a college coach (his last stint was at Texas A&M) that has been given an NFL OLine. He was terrible in Miami and not only knew about the Martin situation, he also took part of it. Price needed the stability of Pollack and the experience that Pollack has as an OLine player.

*I just read an article that Taylor was the one that requested that we move on from Pollack and to change to Jim Turner. If that is true, then this is a very questionable decision by Taylor. Pollack should have stayed and Turner, if brought in, should have been as an assistant.

I didn't expect much from this season. Not surprised that we are struggling. To me the key will be what we do in the offseason. While I am not a fan of Turner as the OLine. I will trust that this could be just a 1st year growing pains. Sure I wish we came out on fire and ZT being called the hottest young HC, I am curious to see what he does with 3 years of drafting. This year was Meh... the only pick I liked was J. Williams. What I will look for come draft time, is to see if he panics and selects a QB or if he stays cool, while being scrutinized, and selects Andrew Thomas followed by hopefully Soloman Kindley, but if not Kindley, get me Bredeson out of Michigan in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
I live pretty close but have never been a huge OSU fan. It’s basically the Patriots Vs. the Bengals for almost every week of the season. That’s why it so hard to evaluate some guys. I like watching competitive games and that whole “The” thing made the school look as arrogant as the Steelers are. They have a team full of the top recruits in the country that plays against guys that are smaller and slower. That’s why it doesn’t always translate in the NFL. The regular season in college is usually unwatchable for me.
Reply/Quote
Its got to be Turner.. no other way to put it, but yes, Price has not done well at all the more time passes.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 09:28 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I live pretty close but have never been a huge OSU fan. It’s basically the Patriots Vs. the Bengals for almost every week of the season. That’s why it so hard to evaluate some guys. I like watching competitive games and that whole “The” thing made the school look as arrogant as the Steelers are. They have a team full of the top recruits in the country that plays against guys that are smaller and slower. That’s why it doesn’t always translate in the NFL. The regular season in college is usually unwatchable for me.

That's every powerhouse school though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 07:25 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The guy won the Remington award in college for best Center in NCAA.

It's not like Ohio State fans propped up some random player.

You've got to admit it's kind of shocking that he's playing this bad.

I don't see a lot of people banging the drum for Billy around these parts and there are many OSU fans here.

I didn't like em.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 09:32 PM)jason Wrote: That's every powerhouse school though.

That’s true but again, it’s hard to evaluate a guy in college when you’re talent level has you a 5 TD favorite and then the next year you’re playing against a guy that’s an established NFL talent. Price should win an award if he’s playing against players that are a tad better than high school players. I just don’t watch games like that. I don’t see how it really benefits the kids on either team. I wish there was a better way for the top 50-100 schools to have to play each other every week. Since there’s not, listening to signals like his arms are way too short should be a priority.
Reply/Quote
Apparently they super reached right after Detroit took the guy they wanted because Mikey Brown is too cheap to trade up.

Kinda like how Pittsburgh took the guy they wanted because Mikey Brown is too cheap to trade up.
Reply/Quote
All he needs is a good QB, right?
Reply/Quote
What's bad is they passed on Lamar Jackson and draftEd
Billy Price
Yet Tobin still has a job
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 09:16 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: LOL at all those people that are claiming they "knew" Price was just terrible.

If I recall, there were 3 consensus top Centers.  Ragnow, Price and Daniels.

Daniels was the "weakest" of the 3 being called a "pure center" and more of a technician than having raw talent.  Price was right there with Ragnow as being the "best".  Price was considered a naturally talented player but that he needed help with his technique.  The belief was that NFL coaches will improve his lack of technique and build up from his talent.

Ragnow was considered a cross between the 2.  He wasn't as technically sound as Daniels and he wasn't a naturally talented as Price.  Many gave Ragnow a slight edge over Price but still considered Price to be a solid starter for any team that drafted him.

Ragnow went to Detroit before our pick, so it isn't known if we would have taken Ragnow over Price or not.  However it is known that we passed on Daniels for Price.

Now the key with Price is the coaching.  Frank Pollack picked Price and early signs were that Price would develop.  Yet we let Pollack go (either he quit, we fired or mutual parting of the ways)* and replaced Pollack with Jim Turner.  Turner has 25 years experience, 2 in the NFL.  He is a college coach (his last stint was at Texas A&M) that has been given an NFL OLine.  He was terrible in Miami and not only knew about the Martin situation, he also took part of it.  Price needed the stability of Pollack and the experience that Pollack has as an OLine player.  

*I just read an article that Taylor was the one that requested that we move on from Pollack and to change to Jim Turner.  If that is true, then this is a very questionable decision by Taylor.  Pollack should have stayed and Turner, if brought in, should have been as an assistant.  

I didn't expect much from this season.  Not surprised that we are struggling.  To me the key will be what we do in the offseason.  While I am not a fan of Turner as the OLine.  I will trust that this could be just a 1st year growing pains.  Sure I wish we came out on fire and ZT being called the hottest young HC, I am curious to see what he does with 3 years of drafting.  This year was Meh... the only pick I liked was J. Williams.  What I will look for come draft time, is to see if he panics and selects a QB or if he stays cool, while being scrutinized, and selects Andrew Thomas followed by hopefully Soloman Kindley, but if not Kindley, get me Bredeson out of Michigan in the 2nd.

That's pretty accurate. I do recall people liking Ragnow the best. It was a coin flip between Daniels and Price...although with the proximity to OSU...I see why they went with Price.

Honestly, who knew he'd be THIS bad?
Reply/Quote