Poll: What do you do with Ryan Finley in 2020
#2 (Backup)
#3 (Carry 3 QBs)
Release or Practice Squad
Other
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to Do With Ryan Finley
I kinda think this could make for some interesting conversation. I haven't seen it brought up much and I'm curious to hear what some think.

Just so we're clear, the premise of this thread hinges on the idea that we draft Joe Burrow. So for discussion's sake let's assume that to be true. We have drafted Joe Burrow, and he's our starter....

What would you like to see happen with Finley? Would you like him to be #2, do you want a vet brought in to backup, or do you have something cool in mind that maybe I don't even know about yet?

I'm of the opinion that a decent, but somewhat cheap veteran should be brought in. Not only to serve as a mentor, but also because I'm not sure Finley is a capable #2 just yet. And frankly, I'm not sure he will ever be. I need to see more.

The guys I'd target don't have to be world-beaters or the football equivalent of Yoda. Just players who have seen meaningful reps and PT, who can create some semblance of competition to push Burrow day-to-day, and someone he can bounce ideas off of. Also, a player that can potentially win you a spot-start or come in relief in a big game without you feeling totally f'd.

Some recent examples: Tyrod Taylor @ 5.5 mil, Ryan Fitzpatrick @ 3.3 mil, Blake Bortles @ 1.0 mil, Sam Bradford @ 5 mil...

So fwiw, my answer is to stash him on the practice squad and if he gets poached he gets poached.

Poll question options at the top...
Reply/Quote
If AJ GREEN and ANDY DALTON LEAVE to other teams in Free Agency as I suspect, then we draft Burrow but we will need people in camp to compete for back-up QB job. Finley is no more a starter than AJ McCarron was, but we will need a back-up. I guess we include the 3rd string QB some fans are all hot for due to some 4th quarter preseason games.

With Dalton gone, Burrow will need back-up help. I can't see NFL teams lining up to want Finley or our 3rd stringer. They will do for now.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I would like to see another year of Finley to see if he can improve. But make him compete with Body-By-Jake for the 2nd spot. Bengals will carry 3 QB.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With a rookie QB starting, I'd rather see a veteran backup, at least for one season...someone who has been around, seen a lot and can give Burrow advice. A guy like Matt Moore, who Zac has worked with in the past, could be an option that makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 02:24 PM)kevin Wrote: If AJ GREEN and ANDY DALTON LEAVE to other teams in Free Agency as I suspect, then we draft Burrow but we will need people in camp to compete for back-up QB job. Finley is no more a starter than AJ McCarron was, but we will need a back-up. I guess we include the 3rd string QB some fans are all hot for due to some 4th quarter preseason games.

With Dalton gone, Burrow will need back-up help. I can't see NFL teams lining up to want Finley or our 3rd stringer. They will do for now.

Finley can't carry McCarron's jock strap...

To the OP; bring in another vet for camp, and let them compete.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 02:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I kinda think this could make for some interesting conversation. I haven't seen it brought up much and I'm curious to hear what some think.

Just so we're clear, the premise of this thread hinges on the idea that we draft Joe Burrow. So for discussion's sake let's assume that to be true. We have drafted Joe Burrow, and he's our starter....

What would you like to see happen with Finley? Would you like him to be #2, do you want a vet brought in to backup, or do you have something cool in mind that maybe I don't even know about yet?

I'm of the opinion that a decent, but somewhat cheap veteran should be brought in. Not only to serve as a mentor, but also because I'm not sure Finley is a capable #2 just yet. And frankly, I'm not sure he will ever be. I need to see more.

The guys I'd target don't have to be world-beaters or the football equivalent of Yoda. Just players who have seen meaningful reps and PT, who can create some semblance of competition to push Burrow day-to-day, and someone he can bounce ideas off of. Also, a player that can potentially win you a spot-start or come in relief in a big game without you feeling totally f'd.

Some recent examples: Tyrod Taylor @ 5.5 mil, Ryan Fitzpatrick @ 3.3 mil, Blake Bortles @ 1.0 mil, Sam Bradford @ 5 mil...

So fwiw, my answer is to stash him on the practice squad and if he gets poached he gets poached.  

Poll question options at the top...

It honestly depends.  Kid needs to work on his mechanics this off-season with a guy like Tom House to try and get the most out of his weak arm.  From there, I would put him in a straight competition with Dolegala for the #2 job. If he wins, great.  If not, I don't see him as having enough upside to roster as a #3.  
Reply/Quote
I know some will say it's too early, but Finley's abysmal lack of arm talent requires the offense to be catered to very short routes in order for him to be successful.

I don't see the team adjusting the playcalling that much to account for that, and I don't see Finley being able to develop much better arm talent by next year to warrant keeping him on the active roster.

I'd be fine releasing or PS'ing him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd keep him around for his brain, as he's supposedly incredibly cerebral.

But I'd put Dolegala at #2, even though I'm in the camp that would rather have a veteran as the #2.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Cut him. He’s terrible. Can’t believe we moved up to pick him.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 02:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: With a rookie QB starting, I'd rather see a veteran backup, at least for one season...someone who has been around, seen a lot and can give Burrow advice. A guy like Matt Moore, who Zac has worked with in the past, could be an option that makes sense.

That's my take.  Not only could a system vet help mentor Burrow, but it's hard to believe a system vet couldn't outplay Finley on gameday plus it's not like we are going to develop and trade Finley in any meaningful way.  What's the point of the guy?
Reply/Quote
Best case scenario: trade him for a couple of 6th round picks (what we gave up to trade up a handful of spots in the 4th). Never liked the value of trading up to draft a backup QB in the first place.

Incidentally, one of those 6th round picks for the 49ers turned out to be Justin Skule, a LT who has a PFF grade of 62.3 this season....
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 02:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: With a rookie QB starting, I'd rather see a veteran backup, at least for one season...someone who has been around, seen a lot and can give Burrow advice. A guy like Matt Moore, who Zac has worked with in the past, could be an option that makes sense.

Agreed.

I'd add though that  I'd leave Finley on the roster, see if he can develope into a backup. Who knows, a veteran presence may help him out a lot, too. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 03:54 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed.

I'd add though that  I'd leave Finley on the roster, see if he can develope into a backup. Who knows, a veteran presence may help him out a lot, too. 

Burrow
Vet FA Aquisition...

Let finley and jake come to camp... If either can beat the Vet  They get the job.  If not the best of the 2 goes to the PSquad.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes it's best to just cut your losses and I think this is one of those times. Put me in the cut him group.

Put me down also for the vet backup. If they trade Dalton they'll be much better served with some experience behind a rookie. I'd keep Dolegala hands down over Finley if they're gonna keep 3.
Reply/Quote
I'd bring in a vet, but that'll cost more. So I predict the backup QBs won't change.

Burrow will not have a mentor with experience, including from the head coach. Bizarre I know, but that's how I see it going down.

Reply/Quote
I'm obviously in the minority here, but don't we have a QBs Coach that's supposed to work with him and mentor him? Also, our HC was a QBs Coach so maybe he'd have some wisdom to impart. Add in an OC and it seems like there should be some sort of support system already in place. That's just my take.

I understand the desire for veteran backup QB, but I'd rather let the coaches do what they're paid to do and put that money towards more important needs.
Reply/Quote
I'm between #2 and #3. It'll mostly depend on what we do with Dalton.

If Dalton stays, I say we start him for the first half of the year. Bring Burrow along somewhere around the halfway mark.
That would leave Finley as the #3.

If we get rid of Dalton, I kind of hope we can sign some sort of "journeyman" style QB that would serve as our true #1 to start the year, like Dalton above, and ceding to Burrow at the mid point but...come on...The Bengals signing a free agent that would serve a real purpose?

So I went with #2 because they're probably going to ditch Dalton somehow (I hope it's via trade...) and then not add anyone outside of the draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see Burrow the starter on week 1 in this scenario. I don't like the idea, but I think it is...most likely.
Reply/Quote
Didn't see "punt him like a hot potato" so I chose "other."
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Bring in Brady. Wink
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Finely lacks a big league arm
He really cannot get it done at this level
Release him
He won't be missed