Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was it like in the 80s?
(08-25-2020, 11:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You watch your damn mouth PissedRantPissedRant !!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, hair metal has some damn good guitar man.Pissed
Reply/Quote
It was a lot like this:

Reply/Quote
We weren't afraid of the Steelers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 04:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, hair metal has some damn good guitar man.Pissed

I like Randy Rhoads, but let’s be honest, the 80’s had a lot of bad music. Ofc it’s very subjective, and comes down to personal preference, but I’m more of a 70’s/90’s kind of guy.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like Randy Rhoads, but let’s be honest, the 80’s had a lot of bad music. Ofc it’s very subjective, and comes down to personal preference, but I’m more of a 70’s/90’s kind of guy.

Love Randy, yeah, there was some weird stuff in the 80's but I like a lot of it. Some very underrated guitarists in the 80's
and some damn good bands as long as they weren't Pop. Whitesnake, Skid Row, Damn Yankees (with Uncle Ted) and I 
know they looked like girlie boys but Cinderella is very underrated. Could go on with the hair bands lol

Funny to watch but they were talented.

And yes, I am more of a 70's/90's guy myself. Pink Floyd was my favorite band under David Gilmour. Loved LZ and all of 
the classic rock of the 70's and I was an Alt metal dude in High School. Just no Pop music please...
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like Randy Rhoads, but let’s be honest, the 80’s had a lot of bad music.

I'll take pretty much the enitrety of the 80's top 100 lists over pretty much anything that charts now.

Cardi B makes guys like Eddie Money and Boy George look like Beethoven and Mozart.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'll take pretty much the enitrety of the 80's top 100 lists over pretty much anything that charts now.

Cardi B makes guys like Eddie Money and Boy George look like Beethoven and Mozart.

I’m not into much modern music either, but that doesn’t necessarily make the 80’s a good decade for music.

I mean, my favorite band of all time (Pixies) formed in the 80’s, but I’m just not into hair metal or stuff like Michael Jackson. Which is what I associate with the 80’s the most.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'll take pretty much the enitrety of the 80's top 100 lists over pretty much anything that charts now.

No doubt. New Pop is the worst shit I have ever heard.

(08-26-2020, 06:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not into much modern music either, but that doesn’t necessarily make the 80’s a good decade for music.

I mean, my favorite band of all time (Pixies) formed in the 80’s, but I’m just not into hair metal or stuff like Michael Jackson. Which is what I associate with the 80’s the most.

Don't like Michael Jackson at all...

I like the Pixies alright.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt. New Pop is the worst shit I have ever heard.

Don't like Michael Jackson at all...

I like the Pixies alright.

Nah, Michael Jackson was never my cup of tea. Even if he hadn’t of been a scumbag pedo I wouldn’t have ever been a fan.

I’m more into stuff like Pixies, Nirvana, The Clash, Johnny Cash...

Reply/Quote
My apologies to the OP for derailing his thread into music talk lol

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, my favorite band of all time (Pixies) formed in the 80’s,

One of the most underrated and influentional bands of all time.

I feel like younger people should be required to listen to them before delving into Nirvana.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nah, Michael Jackson was never my cup of tea. Even if he hadn’t of been a scumbag pedo I wouldn’t have ever been a fan.

Of the Clash albums that matter... Sandinista and Combat Rock were released in the 80s. London Calling in December of 79. There was a ton of great music in that decade. It just gets lost in the fashion, and gaudy hair bands that appeared later on.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nah, Michael Jackson was never my cup of tea. Even if he hadn’t of been a scumbag pedo I wouldn’t have ever been a fan.

You are a good dude Nicomo, feel the same.

Johnny was epic RIP.

(08-26-2020, 06:57 PM)jason Wrote: Of the Clash albums that matter... Sandinista and Combat Rock were released in the 80s. London Calling in December of 79. There was a ton of great music in that decade. It just gets lost in the fashion, and gaudy hair bands that appeared later on.

London Calling rocks. Rock On

To keep this thread here, so did James Brooks, Ickey Woods, Boomer, Curtis, Eddie Edwards, Kenny Anderson (HOF snub),
Ken Riley (another HOF snub) Munoz (HOF rightfully so) Montoya, Dan Ross etc.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:57 PM)jason Wrote: Of the Clash albums that matter... Sandinista and Combat Rock were released in the 80s. London Calling in December of 79. There was a ton of great music in that decade. It just gets lost in the fashion, and gaudy hair bands that appeared later on.

This.  Too many people immediately think of bands Poison and Motley Crue when it comes to the decade.

Here are some bands who released multiple well received albums during the decade:

The Police
Red Hot Chili Peppers
GNR
Metallica
Dire Straits
Primus
The Talking Heads
REM
Faith No More
In Living Colour

Also, I don't care what anyone says bands like The Scorpions, Genesis, Duran Duran, and Depeche Mode are not cheesy at all.

Also, if you're in to Hip Hop it's hard to ignore Run DMC's importance.  
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 07:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This.  Too many people immediately think of bands Poison and Motley Crue when it comes to the decade.

Here are some bands who released multiple well received albums during the decade:

The Police
Red Hot Chili Peppers
GNR
Metallica
Dire Straits
Primus
The Talking Heads
REM
Faith No More
In Living Colour

Also, I don't care what anyone says bands like The Scorpions, Genesis, Duran Duran, and Depeche Mode are not cheesy at all.

Big time Metallica, Scorps and Depeche fan here.... Rock On 

Love all the bands you mention here Wes.

Oh yeah, that LB we had in the 80's Reggie Williams kicked ass....
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:56 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: One of the most underrated and influentional bands of all time.

I feel like younger people should be required to listen to them before delving into Nirvana.

That’s actually how I found them back in the day. I saw somewhere that Kurt Cobain said they were his favorite band.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 07:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s actually how I found them back in the day. I saw somewhere that Kurt Cobain said they were his favorite band.

Yep, Kurt's fave band was the Pixies.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 07:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, Kurt's fave band was the Pixies.

They're also one of Radiohead's as well.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 07:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: They're also one of Radiohead's as well.

Became a great thread. BTW, Collinsworth was a good WR and is an annoying announcer...
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 07:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This.  Too many people immediately think of bands Poison and Motley Crue when it comes to the decade.

The Police
Red Hot Chili Peppers
GNR
Metallica
Dire Straits
Primus
The Talking Heads
REM
Faith No More
In Living Colour

Yep... I'd add Megadeth, Sonic Youth, Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Tom Petty, and many more to that list.

Years ago I was surprised to find out about every "Phil Collins" song I like is actually Genesis.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote