Poll: What would YOU do if YOU were Joe Burrow ?
sign with the Bengals if they Draft you & plan on a full career as a Bengal
let it be known that you will never play for the Bengals before the Draft
play out Bengal rookie contract & franchise tags but not sign longer term if Bengals stay bad
demand the right to Draft O-line help yourself at will or you won’t play for the Bengals
sign with the Bengals if they Draft you & stay long term if Money is right even if team is bad
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would YOU do if YOU were Joe Burrow ? - Poll
(01-15-2020, 02:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who was ahead of him in Ohio that he couldn't beat out for the starting gig?  Maybe we should get that guy since he played in Ohio and won the QB battle.

Quote:[/url] Realizing that [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Haskins]Dwayne Haskins would be named starting quarterback at Ohio State, Burrow transferred to Louisiana State University (LSU) on May 20, 2018.[13][14] Burrow had graduated from Ohio State in three years with a degree in consumer and family financial services, and would be immediately eligible as a graduate transfer.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Burrow
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I think more people are assuming a guy who willingly left Ohio to play football somewhere else is just dying to go to a dysfunctional organization in Ohio.  Let's be honest, if JB said "I want to play for the Browns since they're in Ohio" we'd think he was nuts.

It never really sounds nuts for a player to want to play for a team in his home state,no matter how much they suck.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal fans have a much lower opinion of the Bengals than the rest of the country.

ESPN has a "fan misery index" and while I know this will shock some of you, they actually took things into account other than "last playoff win".  Based on their calculations the Bengals were only the TWELVETH most miserable franchise.  

Since we don't see players taken first in the draft by other horrible teams refusing to play I doubt we will see it happen to the Bengals this year.

Call me a Buddhist, but you have to have expectations in order to be disappointed.  For example, the 2019 Browns won 6 games which is pretty good for a Browns' season, but they went into the year with sky-high expectations thus the disappointment.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Burrow

All Burrow had to do to stay in his home state and be a local hero at OSU was beat out Dywane Haskins and he went to Louisiana instead?  Geez.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: All Burrow had to do to stay in his home state and be a local hero at OSU was beat out Dywane Haskins and he went to Louisiana instead?  Geez.

Burrow is better now than he was then. He worked his tail off with throwing coaches and credits Coach O with his improvements. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 03:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Burrow is better now than he was then. He worked his tail off with throwing coaches and credits Coach O with his improvements. 

Ah, well hopefully he doesn't think that leaving Ohio is as crucial to his NFL career as it was to his college career.

EDIT - Listen, I hope Burrow comes here and says he's the happiest man on earth and wins 50 super Bowls in stripes...I just don't quite buy the narrative that he's all about playing in Ohio since he's already shown that he will be a fan of the Saints and play at LSU rather than be the Bengal-lovin' Ohio-homer that we're hoping he suddenly becomes.
Reply/Quote
I'm playing devil's advocate here. Most here seem to think that Burrow farts rainbows and burps unicorn and with a wave of his hand he will take the 2-14 Bengals TEAM to the playoff if not the super bowl. He is a good college player but like other top college players drafted as the number 1 pick he could end up being a bust or a contender; it all depends on a variety of factors.

I'm not in the one player will fix the Bengals philosophy. Football is a team sport and you need a team to win. Last year the team well was short on OL, LB, DB, WR that got opened, etc... There are to many issues that need to be address and if the Bengals don't bring in some quality FA to help fill those voids I would feel really bad for Burrow; in fact I would basically say don't draft me Bengals cause I won't play.

As a fan, I'm going to wait and see how it all plays out for the Bengals in 2020. Right now it seems like they could end up being really good but one or two injuries during the camps and the season could be over before it begins.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: No team would agree to this.  Not one.

The premise is somewhat silly and insinuates they don't draft OL, although 3 of their last 5 1st round picks are OL.

Then, quite obviously, if you aren't performing up to expectations and the team wanted to draft a QB to groom behind you, there's nothing to stop you from saying "We're drafting Joe Whoknowz, G, Idaho Poly Tech" to block it.

Since you would have to have this in writing, you are also basically untradable, as well, since no other FO would agree to that nonsense.

You are also setting yourself up to be in an adversarial relationship with the men charged with protecting you. If a guy gets the feeling you're going to try and draft his replacement, he may just decide you need a career ending injury.  Not to mention all the coaches and FO people this would piss off.

The other huge issue is OL take time to develop.  You are very lucky if you get a rookie that can step in and even be decent.  Case in point,. Bobby Hart had a 57 PFF grade last year.  The 4 T's taken after Jonah Williams had an average PFF grade of 58, with the highest grade being 63.  Fred Johnson actually graded out better than 3 of them. You have to roster guys  and develop them over seasons. Drafting to try and immediately plug holes on your OL is generally not that effective anymore.  The last thing you need is a QB panic drafting guys over top of other guys and squeezing players who could develop into quality starters off the roster.

I get that the premise is somewhat silly and highly unlikely to ever happen but I am cigar smoking Joe Burrow.

Not so sure that I would want to follow up my College success with the Bengals Organization and I live in Cincinnati.

Suggesting this could be my way out Pre-Draft and onto another Organization (that I would not put the same demand on) while at the same time shining a light on just how ineffective the Bengals Mike Brown Front Office has ultimately been.

The Bengals have invested high Draft picks into the O-line in recent years but have not been very good at getting solid results on the field.

The point would not be to instantly have rookies stepping in but to have a better Pipeline of talent coming in over time and for me to have a chance to prevent having the Bengals ignore a problem that may need solved along the O-line. Instead of me being Powerless.

Hopefully, it would be rare for me to ever step in and make a pick.

I say this all partly in jest & partly to highlight how the Bengal Front Office may deserve to have a Joe Burrow say that he does not want to come here -or- would only come here "if"...

There would be negative side effects to doing this as you suggest, relationships with players, Front Office people etc could get strained especially if my picks were not panning out.

But I am cigar smoking Joe Burrow right now (instead of just Depthchart) so I would not mind putting the squeeze on Mike Brown in this fictitious scenario.

Dealing with any negative consequences from this Dream Scenario would be an upgrade from my regular Depthchart real world, so let me just roll with this silly, unlikely, DREAM scenario. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 03:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Burrow is better now than he was then. He worked his tail off with throwing coaches and credits Coach O with his improvements. 

I have friends that go to Spring Game every year and said Burrow was the best QB they had and were pissed when he transferred.

There are a lot of politics that go on in OSU's program and the best players don't always get to play.  Burrow was only a 2 star recruit out of high school, so unless Haskins was awful, he was going to play.  That's one of the ways they keep getting highly rated recruiting classes every year.
Reply/Quote
Play out the rookie contract and franchise tags but not sign extension if the Bengals stay bad obviously.

No one likes to lose, and if Burrow is here I don't think we will lose for very long anyways. Should be instantly improved
as long as he doesn't get injured and our O-line improves along with playcalling. Which I see all happening.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 03:06 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: I'm playing devil's advocate here. Most here seem to think that Burrow farts rainbows and burps unicorn and with a wave of his hand he will take the 2-14 Bengals TEAM to the playoff if not the super bowl. He is a good college player but like other top college players drafted as the number 1 pick he could end up being a bust or a contender; it all depends on a variety of factors.

I'm not in the one player will fix the Bengals philosophy. Football is a team sport and you need a team to win. Last year the team well was short on OL, LB, DB, WR that got opened, etc... There are to many issues that need to be address and if the Bengals don't bring in some quality FA to help fill those voids I would feel really bad for Burrow; in fact I would basically say don't draft me Bengals cause I won't play.  

As a fan, I'm going to wait and see how it all plays out for the Bengals in 2020. Right now it seems like they could end up being really good but one or two injuries during the camps and the season could be over before it begins.

This is your mistake you keep saying this but no one thinks it true. 

The people pushing for Burrow believe Quarterback is the most important position in the football field and think it's the best way to start a rebuild. 

You want everything all at once which isn't how it works.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Bengals have the money to at least try to upgrade with two quality free agents-like Green Bay did with their defense this year.

If I was Burrow I would be waiting to see what other moves Bengals are willing to make to give me the best possible chance of winning a superbowl

Steps like signing Hart- not the answer.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 03:13 PM)Whatever Wrote:   Burrow was only a 2 star recruit out of high school, so unless Haskins was awful, he was going to play.  

Burrow was a 4 star recruit.  He was the Gatorade Player of the Year for Ohio his senior year.

(01-15-2020, 03:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: I have friends that go to Spring Game every year and said Burrow was the best QB they had and were pissed when he transferred.

He sure didn't show any of that his first year starting at LSU.  He was the 12th rated QB in the 14 team SEC.
Reply/Quote
If I was Joe Burrow I'd play for my home state team, the Cincinnati Bengals.

I'd be making about 37 million over my 4 year rookie contract. If I play good, the one thing I know is that Mike Brown and family will open up the checkbook for QB's.

In 2005 when Palmer got his extension for 118.75 million, he made 18.75 million that year. That was 22 percent of the 85 million cap space we had.

The cap this year is around 200 million, which means 22 percent would be around 44 million a year.

If I played for 13 years that would be over 400 million dollars. At 400 million dollars (for those wondering Palmer made around 200 million in his career), I'll be happy and realize just how blessed I am to even be able to consider myself one of the richest people on earth, for playing a game I love.

Regardless of the ownership. I'd try my best to help the community and fan's, as without them watching I'd make none of that money.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:27 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Look, we know that the offensive line isn't great, but this narrative that it is somehow bad of proportions never seen in the NFL and will ruin Burrow is a bit ridiculous. There were two PLAYOFF teams that allowed more sacks than the Bengals this season. One was the Seahawks with a QB who can escape pressure regularly. Mixon was 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards after the bye week and a scheme change. The line gets first round pick Jonah Williams next year who Saban called his most talented player his senior year. Add Williams and a better RT with a QB who has pocket awareness and some escapability, and things are NOT dire straits here.

I can vouch for that -- furthermore Wilson wasn't even as agile as he has been in years past due to him working harder at improving his skills as a pocket passer this season as well as last. His legs aren't as good as they used to be even though they're still good. I think Burrow could pull off not having a decent O-Line in the same way Wilson has for the last 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal fans have a much lower opinion of the Bengals than the rest of the country.

ESPN has a "fan misery index" and while I know this will shock some of you, they actually took things into account other than "last playoff win".  Based on their calculations the Bengals were only the TWELVETH most miserable franchise.  

Since we don't see players taken first in the draft by other horrible teams refusing to play I doubt we will see it happen to the Bengals this year.

Burrow will likely take the high road and consider it an honor to be Drafted 1st overall and come to the Bengals.

Myself (as someone being from Cincinnati) were I to be in Joe Burrow's shoes, would find it very tempting to take a lower road given having to endure Mike Brown's tenure as Owner of the Bengals all these years as a fan.

A Bengal Fan having a chance to get some Leverage on Mikey boy to force some changes is where my Depthchart fan side is coming from and if I were Joe Burrow I may not want to risk having a no Playoff win career in Cincinnati like Palmer & Dalton had in Cincinnati.

I would want to know that Ownership is in the fight with me and is competent enough to reach the NFL's pinnacle. (Super Bowl)

The Cincinnati born and raised side of me has serious doubts in the Bengal Front Office.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 03:19 PM)Synric Wrote: This is your mistake you keep saying this but no one thinks it true. 

The people pushing for Burrow believe Quarterback is the most important position in the football field and think it's the best way to start a rebuild. 

You want everything all at once which isn't how it works.

Most important position in football are the fans! Without fans there is no football.  Wink

If you are talking about team by team, it would be the owner(s). Again, without a person or group of people to get a team form there is no football. 

From there, it is the staffs, everyone reporting up to the owner(s). 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Good grief, it's really coming off as some of you are rooting for Burrow to pull an Eli Manning. Burrow has not uttered a word about not wanting to play in Cincy. Give it a rest...

the man is toooo good for this sloppily run organization and you know it as does everybody else. Its our opinion and why don't you give it a rest. Burrow by himself will be humiliated by this owner!!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 05:53 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Most important position in football are the fans! Without fans there is no football.  Wink

If you are talking about team by team, it would be the owner(s). Again, without a person or group of people to get a team form there is no football. 

From there, it is the staffs, everyone reporting up to the owner(s). 

in cinci there is. elmer has hornswiggled this area and is set whether or not we show up!!!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:27 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Look, we know that the offensive line isn't great, but this narrative that it is somehow bad of proportions never seen in the NFL and will ruin Burrow is a bit ridiculous. There were two PLAYOFF teams that allowed more sacks than the Bengals this season. One was the Seahawks with a QB who can escape pressure regularly. Mixon was 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards after the bye week and a scheme change. The line gets first round pick Jonah Williams next year who Saban called his most talented player his senior year. Add Williams and a better RT with a QB who has pocket awareness and some escapability, and things are NOT dire straits here.

Great post.

Reply/Quote