Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you need to see?
What would get you to restore your faith in this team?

I don't mean after the season either.

What would you need to see on Sunday that would make you think that maybe this team can in fact go to the playoffs?

How about the next 3 games? Not just winning. As that would definitely help, but what type of win would make you regain the faith that was evident earlier in the season.

For me personally, I would like to see sound tackling. The defense not looking so lost on the field. To know where they are supposed to go and to do what they are supposed to do. I would also like to see Pittsburgh lose the next 3 games, as that would put us over them.

The next 3 games are crucial for us. Winning at Baltimore and the next 2 at home against the Browns and the Broncos would give us an 8-4 record. If the Steelers lose the next 3 (@Jacksonville, @Denver and at home against the Chargers) and then their record would be 6-5-1. Even if they win 1 or 2 of those games then they will have a 7-4-1 or 8-4-1 respectively. If they win all 3, then they do have a 9-4-1 record with us a game and a half behind.

So let's say we do win the next 3, what would make you think we go on a run and not only make the postseason but make some noise while there?
Reply/Quote
I'm at a point where I'd need to see a convincing victory over a top team. Beating up on the poor/average teams is one thing, hanging with the best teams is another. They did keep it close against Pittsburgh to their credit, and might've won it had just one near interception been caught. The shellackings from Reid and Payton's crews were just too brutal for me to get my hopes up this year, or next year with Lewis still at HC.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 10:55 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: If the Steelers lose the next 3 (@Jacksonville, @Denver and at home against the Chargers) and then their record would be 6-5-1.  Even if they win 1 or 2 of those games then they will have a 7-4-1 or 8-4-1 respectively.  If they win all 3, then they do have a 9-4-1 record with us a game and a half behind.

Steelers only other loss will be against the Patriots.
Reply/Quote
Some accountability.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown stepping down. I am not joking or trying to be a smart ass. He is the focal point of this team's make up. Until he goes, a win here or there against a good team, a great draft or two - it won't matter.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
I don't think many here deny the fact that the Bengals have a shot to get into the playoffs. It's:

1. Do we even deserve to be there?
2. Can we actually compete against the elite teams and make a run?

It's not that great to get into the playoffs if you know what's coming next.

As for what I'd need to see..

1. Bengals offense would have to drop 30-40 each game, with Ross getting 1-2 TDs each game, while showing off creative ways to get him the ball, and that spectacular 40 speed we were sold on.

2. One of Dalton's TDs would need to be a 50 yard missile that just slices through the air with such precision and velocity that you would've thought we had Rodgers.

3. Defense would need to have more 3 and outs than TDs given up.

4. Defense would have to get 3-5 sacks against the Ravens on Sunday. Mobile QB with a good O-line coming up.

5. Linebackers and safeties would need to show the ability to run sideline to sideline with great speed, and make things hard on TEs and RBs.

6. Seriously defense, wtf. Get your **** together.

Bonus Points:

1. Mike Brown would have to come out before the game on Sunday IN Baltimore and grab a microphone, stare that ugly purple sea of losers in the crowd and say, "IM TIRED OF THIS ****! SCREW YOU, WE ARE GOING TO WRECK YOUR TEAM TODAY AND WE ARE GOING TO THE SB!"

2. And then, like a WWE Promo, the jumbotron would suddenly show Marvin Lewis inside the locker room, in the Austin 3:16 outfit with a baseball bat in his hand. He'd stare at the camera with the look of a mad man for 10 seconds, and then go to the nearest fire alarm and proceed to destroy that thing with the same intensity that Negan did in that season finale of The Walking Dead.
Reply/Quote
Beat top teams
Reply/Quote
The only thing that will restore my faith in the M&M led Bengals is for us to make the playoffs and actually win.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 01:04 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Steelers only other loss will be against the Patriots.

Oh... so they just go down to NO and beat the Saints?

Nope, not buying it...

Seriously though.  They are not a great team and they will lose at least 1 of the next 3.  I don't expect them to win any of the 3, but they have the best chance beating SD, and that isn't a gimme game either.

I get respecting them, but some fans just seem almost to cheer for them to win and think they are a good or great team, which is ridiculous.  The Steelers struggle against Jacksonville, they struggle playing out west (most east coast teams do) and they are traveling a lot these next few weeks.  A good or great team could win, but that is not what the Steelers are.  They may be the best team in the AFCN, but that isn't saying anything special about them. 

They tied Cleveland, lost to Baltimore, lost to KC.  As of now the only team they beat that we didn't was the Panthers and they got to play them at home.  So I don't get the mindset that the Steelers are going to run the table and lose only 1 game the rest of the season.  It is one thing to say they win the division, which is possible, especially if we come up short, it is another to suggest they are a top team in the league and will easily overcome their challenging schedule. That is giving them way to much credit.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 01:21 AM)YsCascadia Wrote: Oh... so they just go down to NO and beat the Saints?

Nope, not buying it...

Seriously though.  They are not a great team and they will lose at least 1 of the next 3.  I don't expect them to win any of the 3, but they have the best chance beating SD, and that isn't a gimme game either.

I get respecting them, but some fans just seem almost to cheer for them to win and think they are a good or great team, which is ridiculous.  The Steelers struggle against Jacksonville, they struggle playing out west (most east coast teams do) and they are traveling a lot these next few weeks.  A good or great team could win, but that is not what the Steelers are.  They may be the best team in the AFCN, but that isn't saying anything special about them. 

They tied Cleveland, lost to Baltimore, lost to KC.  As of now the only team they beat that we didn't was the Panthers and they got to play them at home.  So I don't get the mindset that the Steelers are going to run the table and lose only 1 game the rest of the season.  It is one thing to say they win the division, which is possible, especially if we come up short, it is another to suggest they are a top team in the league and will easily overcome their challenging schedule. That is giving them way to much credit.

The steelers will be as good as the refs will allow. If goodell wants the steelers to beat the saints,they will beat the saints.
Reply/Quote
I think beating the Ravens AND Browns would be big. On defense, sound tackling and being able to get off the field on 3rd down.

IF we do those things...we'll be 7-4.
Reply/Quote
That 70 foot statue of Mikey and Marv on Fountain Square holding the Lombardy trophy .

I'm waiting with baited (live bait at that) breath.  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
For me it is very simple. I need to see some focused execution from the Offensive Line, and the Defense playing like they actually want to stop someone from scoring.

I can handle my team taking a tough loss to a superior team, but the lack of pride, effort and focus is really what burns my ass.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 09:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For me it is very simple. I need to see some focused execution from the Offensive Line, and the Defense playing like they actually want to stop someone from scoring.

I can handle my team taking a tough loss to a superior team, but the lack of pride, effort and focus is really what burns my ass.

Very true. Losing like we did to KC & NO was played horribly. Guys didn’t seem like they were in it. No heart, no effort, no fight. These guys have to put everything on the field and walk off after 60 minutes with nothing left to convince me.

Reply/Quote
A convincing win on Sunday in which the defense exceeds expectations.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Offense doing the things that good teams do.

Consistency on drives.

Moving the ball like we've seen flash before in games and keeping it up.

Less dormancy in 3rd Qtr.

Getting first downs in short yardage situations at will.

Defense keeping scores manageable for the offense to have a chance against good teams.

No embarrassing "gimme" plays given up by the D.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 01:04 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Steelers only other loss will be against the Patriots.

That’s just not true.
Reply/Quote
At this point with the defense playing horrible, just like Austin, if players pay bad, time to release and promote our squad team. That'll teach them.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 10:55 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: What would get you to restore your faith in this team?

I don't mean after the season either.

What would you need to see on Sunday that would make you think that maybe this team can in fact go to the playoffs?

How about the next 3 games?  Not just winning.  As that would definitely help, but what type of win would make you regain the faith that was evident earlier in the season.

For me personally, I would like to see sound tackling.  The defense not looking so lost on the field.  To know where they are supposed to go and to do what they are supposed to do.  I would also like to see Pittsburgh lose the next 3 games, as that would put us over them.

The next 3 games are crucial for us.  Winning at Baltimore and the next 2 at home against the Browns and the Broncos would give us an 8-4 record.  If the Steelers lose the next 3 (@Jacksonville, @Denver and at home against the Chargers) and then their record would be 6-5-1.  Even if they win 1 or 2 of those games then they will have a 7-4-1 or 8-4-1 respectively.  If they win all 3, then they do have a 9-4-1 record with us a game and a half behind.

So let's say we do win the next 3, what would make you think we go on a run and not only make the postseason but make some noise while there?
I want to see them win the home games.  Browns, Broncos, Raiders.  At 5 wins, so that makes 8 wins.  That leaves going to Baltimore, LA Chargers, Cleveland, Pittsburg to try to get 10 wins.  Win At Home, Split On The Road would bring 10 win season, maybe play-offs.  A win at Baltimore makes them 6-4 and sets up still in play-off picture. I Quit on Bengals during Saints game, but coaching changes have me back Rooting. GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Defense should hold a team to 20 or less and I will have faith.

Although I will say our awful D has overshadowed how bad our O has been lately.

27-17 win over Ravens would restore my faith.

That said I see more like a 17-7 or 20-10 Ravens.
Reply/Quote