Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did it become acceptable to say "Bungles"
(03-18-2020, 04:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: More often I hear people call the Bengals the Bung-holes.  Myron Cope just used the more radio friendly version, I think.

Bung Holes would be worse than Bungles.  

Berman on ESPN was the one who made Bungles popular in 1990's.  That's all he ever called them, and on weekly game footage of them losing every week, he would make make 3 Stooges noises as Bengals find new ways to lose games.  So the main one was indeed Berman known as Boomer on ESPN.   He pretty much set a standard of insults that many on ESPN have copied.  

Now in the 1990's, I heard the word Bengy's.  Also The Bings.  In losing years I have heard The Reds called The Deads.

I would add that the Bengals just had the worst 2 years in Franchise History.  Therefore they are not even as good as the 1990's and early 2000's Bungles.  Lately the Bengals have not even been good enough to be Bungles.  

In the end, Respect Is Earned.  Win some games. 

Now I have said that I have followed this team from 1968 on.  Therefore I did watch every game of the 1991 through 2002 Bungles and I will never go through 12 years like that again as a fan.  That if ownership cares so little about winning, then I will care so little about watching.  The last 2 seasons I saw the early season games, but not the mess from November on.

Also, this world plaque corona virus shows me how petty people are on Political Correctness.  Every day this generation of candy assortments comes up with more words they say are hurtful.  As if we have nothing else to worry about.  Myself, I call the whole Gay thing the L.P.G.A...Now I know that is the Ladies Pro Golf Association,  but I don't care if I get all the alphabet letters of the other thing right, so I don't even try.  We have a President who calls people Little Marco, Lying Ted, Sleepy Joe, calls people Fat although he himself is Fat.  He has taken insults far and above any President before him.  The ESPN Berman of Presidents. Yet many of you Love him, but expect Political Correctness from everybody else, It Makes No Sense. 

I knew this nation was getting soft when kids could call the cops on their parents because they threaten to spank them.  Back in my day in the 50's and 60's, had I called the cops on that, they would have laughed and offered to come over and help my parents spank me, and they would have been right.  Look, you don't like people saying Bungles.  You don't like it, Wah, Wah, Wah.....It's very simple.  The Bengals need to win some games.  They are coming off their 2 worst seasons ever.  RESPECT IS EARNED.  They need to WIN some games.  

We can get back to that since Paul Brown died and son Mike inherited it,  No Play-Off Wins, and worse, Most 0-4 starts than any NFL team.  The Bengals hold these infamous records.  It is fair to say that Ownership needs to finally show a Commitment To Winning.   Until they do, they will be called many names.  

Bungles is indeed better than Bung Holes, that would be going to far.   Respect Is Earned.  WIN SOME GAMES. 

That said, Bring in Joe Heisman and WIN SOME GAMES. GO BENGALS. It's a TEAM game, the rebuild will take more than one player, but Rebuild, Win Some Games, GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:52 AM)kevin Wrote: I knew this nation was getting soft when kids could call the cops on their parents because they threaten to spank them.  Back in my day in the 50's and 60's, had I called the cops on that, they would have laughed and offered to come over and help my parents spank me, and they would have been right. 

WTF are you talking about.  Corporal punishment is legal.  Parents are still allowed to spank their children.  Where do you come up with this stuff?

(03-19-2020, 01:52 AM)kevin Wrote: Most 0-4 starts than any NFL team.  The Bengals hold these infamous records. 

That record is not "infamous" at all.  In fact no one gives half a shit about which team has the most 0-4 starts since 1990.  Or which team has the most 0-5 starts.  Or which team has the most 0-6 starts.

The only people who even know that the Bengals hold that record are Bengal "fans" who are desperate to find some meaningless reason to shit on the team.  Seriously, where did you even come up with that "infamous" stat?
Reply/Quote
FMR
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Sure I can, but I don’t want to and I’ll say whatever I want within the CoC. It’s offensive to me when one set of fans accuses another set of fans of not being true fans. I used to give negative rep to anybody that called someone else not a true fan, but sadly we can’t do that anymore.

You can't even use your own words. You took my "negative rep" line and twisted it around.  I've seen you twice now in this thread use someone else's post and change a couple of words.  You apparently can't think of anything but that and the "B" word. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've used the offensive term before and I'll use it again. Calling me anything other than a true fan is simply ignorant.

I've spent thousands of dollars on Bengal merchandise, cable fees, ticket and travel expenses over the years. I live in Gainesville, FL and still make it a point to go see them once every year, within reason. I have an authentic Bengals helmet autographed by some of the greatest players in our franchise's history in a glass case in a conspicuous locale in our living room, and my wife and I have come to blows about it. But I love the helmet and it stays.

But this franchise has been wholly dysfunctional and incompetent my entire life with only brief pockets of success. I chose the Bengals because Cincinnati chose to birth me in its ample bosom and I have remained loyal. That I've been able to do that speaks volumes. If frustration gets the better of me from time to time and I call the team the "Bungles," so be it. If anyone here is so hyper-sensitive to be hurt or offended by that, you have bigger problems than the substitution of a U for an E.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Every team has fans that get frustrated and rag on the team.  Here we say "Typical Bungles" while other fanbases just say the team is a joke or a four letter word or say the team is comprised of women or some other tired cliche.

The Bengals have been crap for 4 years.  That's the objective truth so pick a word and use it, or make one up.  The Bengals are a floobaroobabutz of a squadron.

Typical floobaroobabutz football.  ZT is the king floobaroobabutz and this franchise will floobaroobatuzize Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
This off-season has given me hope that Duke Tobin finally can do what he wants and isn't hogtied by Mike Brown. They may shed the "Bungles" label from me but up until this point they've done nothing sans a few good years with Carson to expel that term.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 06:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think the forum should BAN the word and suspend any fan our ours who uses it.

No questions or debate needed, I agree it is a term our enemies use, not our true fans.

Ah the ol' true fan card. Act the way I think you should or you're not a 'true fan'.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 04:39 PM)WhoDey Wrote: for a fan of  this team? I have seen many so called fans using the word "Bungles" on this board. You would have been smacked if you hung around with my group of friends in the 90's. Is this a new thing?  This was always a joke made by non Bengals fans. I just don't get it.

With definition given below its not hard to look back at specific times in our history where this applies. Fan does not imply I have to support everything they do blindly and only give positive feedback.

bun·gle
/ˈbəNGɡəl/

verb

1. carry out (a task) clumsily or incompetently.
    "he bungled his first attempt to manage a group of professional players"

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 05:32 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: You can't even use your own words. You took my "negative rep" line and twisted it around.  I've seen you twice now in this thread use someone else's post and change a couple of words.  You apparently can't think of anything but that and the "B" word. 

That’s to try and get you to look in the mirror. You don’t get to decide what people think and say. What you have is an opinion and opinions should never be forced on others.
Reply/Quote
Who'da thunk a thread like this could ever get contentious?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 10:06 AM)McC Wrote: Who'da thunk a thread like this could ever get contentious?

I'm bumfuzzled. On its face, this seemed like it would be a polite, considerate discussion.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 10:09 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I'm bumfuzzled. On its face, this seemed like it would be a polite, considerate discussion.

Alas, you bungled that perceptive assumption. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 10:11 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Alas, you bungled that perceptive assumption. 

I really poopdoodlebanged it. 

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 09:43 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: That’s to try and get you to look in the mirror. You don’t get to decide what people think and say. What you have is an opinion and opinions should never be forced on others.

What I see is you can’t think of anything to say except somebody else’s words and the B word. Speak for yourself. Yes I have an opinion which is why I’m here but message boards always have rules.
Reply/Quote
Literally the 90s. Just do a bit of research and look at the coaches, players, how the stadium looked.

There was an article talking about the changing owners from father to son and how bad it was going to get. The stadium was AWFUL. Mike did not care, he was out to make money and make this one job his life.

Radio stations had hilarious bits about the team. "All My Bengals." Was super popular in the 90s. You couldnt openly wear your bengal gear or tell anyone you were a Bengal fan without getting mocked by bandwagon Steelers fans.

You may think it's tough now, but you dont know tough until you do the Ickey shuffle in the front yard after you win your first game and people threw trash at you driving by. I was like 12 at the time when that happened.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 10:14 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I really poopdoodlebanged it. 

Typical floobaroobabutz.
Reply/Quote
I kind of jumped into the middle of thje thread so I guess I should address the original question.

In the 90's the bengals were a compleet joke. Not even I could defend them. They were the worst franchise in the league. There was no avoiding the "Bungles" label.

Kind of OT,but my favorite NBA team in the 90's was the Nuggets (I lived in Denver/Boulder from '91 to '93). During that decade they were the joke franchise of the NBA. Also after winning the World Series in 1990 the Reds only had 3 more winning seasons in the 90's. That was a rough decade for my sports fandom. Thank god there were no internet message boards.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing wrong with being critical of the Bengals, but we all recognize that some people seem to enjoy it.  Like the ones who start squealing before there is even anything to squeal about, and the ones who ingnore anything positive and spiun everything in a negative manner.

These type of people generally suffer from low self esteem.  They have to tear everything down in order to make themselves feel superior.  We all know this type.  They are constantly bragging about how their standards are higher than others, and they generally exhibit the same type of behavior with other things in addition to their football team.  Every restaurant except their favorite sucks.  All music/bands except their favorites suck.  And their insults of bengal players/coahes/front office go beyond football acumen to include personal appearances, character, and even hobbies.

These type of fans can usually be found in groups around here having little contests to see who can be the most clever and creative with their biitching and moaning.

But I am not going to stoop to naming names.

Thanks Dr. Phil.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I kind of jumped into the middle of thje thread so I guess I should address the original question.

In the 90's the bengals were a compleet joke. Not even I could defend them. They were the worst franchise in the league. There was no avoiding the "Bungles" label.

Kind of OT,but my favorite NBA team in the 90's was the Nuggets (I lived in Denver/Boulder from '91 to '93). During that decade they were the joke franchise of the NBA. Also after winning the World Series in 1990 the Reds only had 3 more winning seasons in the 90's. That was a rough decade for my sports fandom. Thank god there were no internet message boards.

Weird comment. The reds had a .520 winning percentage in the 90s

.464 in the 2000s.

Know your baseball better
Reply/Quote