Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When the Backups Play Better Than the Starters.
We saw it with our own eyes, didn’t we? When Jonah Williams, Trey Hopkins, and Bobby Hart left the game due to injury the offensive line got better — and this shouldn’t be the case. Let’s carefully examine why it happened.

Why did an offensive line comprised of Fred Johnson, Michael Jordan, Billy Price, Alex Redmond, and Hakeem Adeniji show improvement over the starters? The starters get more snaps in practice so if backup players outplay the starters it means the snaps in practice are unproductive. It means the starters are practicing bad habits.

This is not a new issue with the Bengals. For decades we’ve seen backups come off the bench and outplay starters at every position. This is because all the good habits from college and from other teams haven’t been coached out of the backups yet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Desire.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
Need to start more backups on defense then lol.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Seemed like Jonah was the only one who played badly. Hart and Hopkins were fine before they went out.

Reply/Quote
IMHO, Fred Johnson seems to play better at the tackle position rather than guard and I think Hakeem has the highest ceiling in terms of talent and ability of any of the players on the offensive line for the Cincinnati Bengals.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 07:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: W For decades we’ve seen backups come off the bench and outplay starters at every position.

No we haven't.
Reply/Quote
Jonah is our best OL and he is a rookie still growing. Adeniji needs to play more. Redmond needs cut.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 07:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We saw it with our own eyes, didn’t we? When Jonah Williams, Trey Hopkins, and Bobby Hart left the game due to injury the offensive line got better — and this shouldn’t be the case. Let’s carefully examine why it happened.

Why did an offensive line comprised of Fred Johnson, Michael Jordan, Billy Price, Alex Redmond, and Hakeem Adeniji show improvement over the starters? The starters get more snaps in practice so if backup players outplay the starters it means the snaps in practice are unproductive. It means the starters are practicing bad habits.

This is not a new issue with the Bengals. For decades we’ve seen backups come off the bench and outplay starters at every position. This is because all the good habits from college and from other teams haven’t been coached out of the backups yet.

Adeniji played all of 3 or 4 snaps.

And the backups have almost NEVER out-played the starters, come on.

(10-25-2020, 07:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: IMHO, Fred Johnson seems to play better at the tackle position rather than guard and I think Hakeem has the highest ceiling in terms of talent and ability of any of the players on the offensive line for the Cincinnati Bengals.

100%. If Jonah is good to go, I just want to see a T set of them 2, just once.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I was pleasantly surprised by Fred. Price was about what I expected. His snaps to Burrow were getting dicey for a stretch there.

Adenji wasn't in long enough to be evaluated in any meaningful way.

Hopefully Quinton Spain can come in and take a starting spot.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:18 PM)samhain Wrote: I was pleasantly surprised by Fred.  Price was about what I expected.  His snaps to Burrow were getting dicey for a stretch there.  

I question how many reps they get together to work at that.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:18 PM)samhain Wrote: I was pleasantly surprised by Fred. Price was about what I expected. His snaps to Burrow were getting dicey for a stretch there.

Funny thing is, I made sure to slow down and replay (on my TV) the replay, when they showed it; none of the snaps were bad, it was all on Burrow lol.

I think it's just their timing; a bit off, but if Hopkins can't go next week, we'll see what Billy can do.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The big question with the line is based on Hart.

If he is out and we line up Jonah and Fred at tackle, does Jonah stay on the left side? Or does he move to the right?

My personal opinion is to start with Jonah on the right side...
Reply/Quote
Price is most likely a better C than he is a G. Its been a while since we'e really seen him at C, maybe he will play better if Hopkins is out more than just today. Fred Johnson is obviously a better OT than he is a G. No doubt about it.
Reply/Quote
There was one play I noticed Fred caught a blitzing DB. On the replay he had him in the air body slammed pancake in slow-mo. Was sweet!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:25 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Price is most likely a better C than he is a G. Its been a while since we'e really seen him at C, maybe he will play better if Hopkins is out more than just today. Fred Johnson is obviously a better OT than he is a G. No doubt about it.
When Price came in I thought oh crap someone order Joe a casket now! But I was very impressed with him. He was getting great drive on run plays and stoning the rushers on pass plays. To his credit the guy looked good. Some here would rather swallow their own head than admit he played well but I have to give him credit he looked good at center. Couldnt say that when he was at guard. 
Reply/Quote
These backups played in positions that they were meant to play. Probably not what we want going forward, but they are back ups for a reason. I'd much rather have them be backups than starters. Was Burrow sacked in 2nd half?
Reply/Quote
Question: did Jonah ever play any OG at Alabama?

I know it’s a really small sample size between last season and today, but if FJ is actually a decent OT, what about kicking Jonah inside?

Johnson - Williams - Hopkins- XSF - Hart?

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:36 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: When Price came in I thought oh crap someone order Joe a casket now! But I was very impressed with him. He was getting great drive on run plays and stoning the rushers on pass plays. To his credit the guy looked good. Some here would rather swallow their own head than admit he played well but I have to give him credit he looked good at center. Couldnt say that when he was at guard. 

He looked decent. Him and Burrow definitely weren’t in sync on the snaps, but that’s to be expected.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Adeniji played all of 3 or 4 snaps.

And the backups have almost NEVER out-played the starters, come on.

100%. If Jonah is good to go, I just want to see a T set of them 2, just once.

Johnson was decent at LT the last couple games last season. Why don’t they try Johnson at RT and move Hart inside ? I’m no Oline guru but Hart’s a good run blocker wouldn’t he be more helpful inside ?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:24 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The big question with the line is based on Hart.

If he is out and we line up Jonah and Fred at tackle, does Jonah stay on the left side?  Or does he move to the right?

My personal opinion is to start with Jonah on the right side...

Jonah neck injury is worrysome. It might be Fred at LT for a stretch. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote