Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where is Ross?
(06-04-2019, 01:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Shula had a,very limited resume at the NFL level.
Coslet I thought had some good offenses during his run.
too bad the defenses couldnt hold teams to under 24 pts
the Bengals Super Bowl teams had coaches from offensive backgrounds

I knew what you were getting at, but we are going all the way back to the Paul Brown era for that and that just reminds us that we are still in the Mike Brown era.  So, it's hard to be optimistic when you have to go back 30 years to different ownership.  That reminds me of how lame it is that I had to resort to "the 80s" to have any chance of trash talking Steeler fans.  Or maybe telling Patriots fans to suck it because they stunk before Robert Kraft bought the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dave Shula taking over ANOTHER John Ross thread!
Reply/Quote
I guess we are all just going around and around repeating ourselves because there is nothing new to talk about, so let me add this.

Ross does not have to have anywhere close to 1000 yds to have a huge impact on this offense. If he just provides a viable deep threat that opposing defenses have to account for he will create hundreds of yards for other receivers and/or running backs.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I guess we are all just going around and around repeating ourselves because there is nothing new to talk about, so let me add this.

Ross does not have to have anywhere close to 1000 yds to have a huge impact on this offense. If he just provides a viable deep threat that opposing defenses have to account for he will create hundreds of yards for other receivers and/or running backs.

Yes. I’m sure if he get another 200 yard season the bengals will call that a success
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 06:07 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yes.  I’m sure if he get another 200 yard season the bengals will call that a success

And the negative Nancy's will call it a failure if he gets 500/600 yards and 5/6 TD's which is great for a 4th or 5th option receiver.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 07:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: And the negative Nancy's will call it a failure if he gets 500/600 yards and 5/6 TD's which is great for a 4th or 5th ROUNDER
Fixed.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 06:07 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yes.  I’m sure if he get another 200 yard season the bengals will call that a success

You mean the way they called his 2018 season a success?

Oh wait.  That never happened.  That is just you making up bullshit out of thin air in order to rip on the Bengals.

For a moment there I forget who I was replying to.
Reply/Quote
Ross is the type that lets Boyd do the hard work to move from one side of the field to the other, so ROss can catch the easy TDs in the endzone.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 11:25 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ross is the type that lets Boyd do the hard work to move from one side of the field to the other, so ROss can catch the easy TDs in the endzone.

There is no such thing as easy TD’s in the NFL. Just look at Julio Jones.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I guess we are all just going around and around repeating ourselves because there is nothing new to talk about, so let me add this.

Ross does not have to have anywhere close to 1000 yds to have a huge impact on this offense.  If he just provides a viable deep threat that opposing defenses have to account for he will create hundreds of yards for other receivers and/or running backs.

While I agree with this in theory, I think it would be incredibly stupid to not take advantage of the cushion that DBs provide him off the line and use him on some screens and quick hitches.  Ditto jet sweeps.  You can decoy that, too, but you have to actually give him the ball from time to time.  With better blocking at the TE position setting the edge, there could be some huge gains there....and it is high % stuff, low risk.  

Having him run vertical is fine, but he has to get targeted more on those plays before defenses really start to worry about it.  Hopefully, improved Oline play will contribute to more time for vertical shots.  
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 10:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I agree with this in theory, I think it would be incredibly stupid to not take advantage of the cushion that DBs provide him off the line and use him on some screens and quick hitches.  Ditto jet sweeps.  You can decoy that, too, but you have to actually give him the ball from time to time.  With better blocking at the TE position setting the edge, there could be some huge gains there....and it is high % stuff, low risk.  

Having him run vertical is fine, but he has to get targeted more on those plays before defenses really start to worry about it.  Hopefully, improved Oline play will contribute to more time for vertical shots.  

I did not watch him every play so may be wrong, but I think he should be in motion more so other teams can't check him easily within 5 yards. He is not big so I can see his routes being disrupted and messing up the timing. Since AD is a timing QB, that could mess up their connection ability.

But, the reality is as of now, he is still AD's 3rd to 5th options in most games or plays. Will Zac and OC try and feature him against some teams due to match ups? I think that is on Ross to prove he deserves it, that starts in practice.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 07:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: And the negative Nancy's will call it a failure if he gets 500/600 yards and 5/6 TD's which is great for a 4th or 5th option receiver.

The so called negative Nancy's won't ever appreciate a number nine draft pick that probably has zero chance of being a WR1. All people are hired with expectations. If you don't live up to them then you will NEVER get the respect that you would have gotten if you lived up to those expectations. That's life. 
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 11:03 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The so called negative Nancy's won't ever appreciate a number nine draft pick that probably has zero chance of being a WR1. All people are hired with expectations. If you don't live up to them then you will NEVER get the respect that you would have gotten if you lived up to those expectations. That's life. 

You do realize rookie contracts don't allow for paying a 1st round pick true WR#1 money. They are rookies for a reason, they have yet to prove anything in the NFL so are paid accordingly. AJ makes 15 to 17 million  a year, Ross makes 4.3 million a year.

So, yes players are hired and paid with expectations, but looking the numbers Ross makes 25% of what WR Green makes each year so I guess 25% of AJ's production would make him earn his pay.

No rookie 1st round WR is paid WR #1 money for 5 years (4 years plus 5th year option) in today's NFL.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 11:12 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You do realize rookie contracts don't allow for paying a 1st round pick true WR#1 money. They are rookies for a reason, they have yet to prove anything in the NFL so are paid accordingly. AJ makes 15 to 17 million  a year, Ross makes 4.3 million a year.

So, yes players are hired and paid with expectations, but looking the numbers Ross makes 25% of what WR Green makes each year so I guess 25% of AJ's production would make him earn his pay.

No rookie 1st round WR is paid WR #1 money for 5 years (4 years plus 5th year option) in today's NFL.

Who was WR1 in 2011? What they make is not what I was getting at. The expectations were( I assumed this because of where he was drafted) that he could be a replacement for AJ someday. Anyone who has watched him knows he couldn't hold AJ's jock strap. Hopefully he proves everyone wrong but he definitely has a way to go.
Reply/Quote
Where is Ross? Apparently back on the sideline. Hopefully this is by design and we are going to handle him with care. For a guy who has had issues picking up the offense in the past I don't like that he has missed time already. But I would definitely prefer that he be healthy and available.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 11:25 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ross is the type that lets Boyd do the hard work to move from one side of the field to the other, so ROss can catch the easy TDs in the endzone.

So the team scoring a TD doesn't matter, but which player catching the ball does matter?  Shocked
Reply/Quote

Ross does not have to have anywhere close to 1000 yds to have a huge impact on this offense.  If he just provides a viable deep threat that opposing defenses have to account for he will create hundreds of yards for other receivers and/or running backs.

Very true.
Besides, it's not reasonable for Ross to get 1000+ yards if Boyd and Green also are healthy.
This feat has only happened 5 times in NFL history. The last time was 2008 with Fitz, Boldin, and Breaston.
Ross is a dynamic RZ threat. If he can get 500+ yards along with 6+ TDs, I consider that good unless/until Boyd and/or Green are gone.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 11:03 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The so called negative Nancy's won't ever appreciate a number nine draft pick that probably has zero chance of being a WR1. All people are hired with expectations. If you don't live up to them then you will NEVER get the respect that you would have gotten if you lived up to those expectations. That's life. 

I see what you mean. Ryan Leaf had a respectable NFL career for an undrafted FA QB, for example.
Reply/Quote
The bengals on draft day 2017. Let’s draft Ross even if he doesn’t get 200 yards a year as long as he’s on the field that’s a success because he opens up the offense. Ok awesome let’s draft this decoy with the number 9 pick. Yes. This will be brilliant strategy.

I have no idea why we haven’t won a playoff game since 1990. Shocking
Reply/Quote
Yeah, Ross has been a decoy, smh.

He was a good red zone threat. I would love to see where he would be right now if he didn't get pulled after one carry by Marvin Lewis. I would also love to see where he would be right now if he had a decent offensive mind calling plays and designing some scheme specific stuff for Ross.

The bottom line for Ross is this:

In a perfect world he's not going to have 1000 yards, AJ and Boyd will probably have those as they are the top 2 guys. However, much like Eifert's impact when he is healthy, Ross is one of the few guys that has the ability to open up the middle of the field with his deep speed. We've seen flashes, but he needs to stay healthy and productive. Will he ever be worth a top 10 pick? Proabably not, but he very well could be the missing piece that takes the offense from good to great.
Reply/Quote