Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where is Ross?
(06-02-2019, 11:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s almost like some you are rooting against the kid...

I am rooting for the Bengals and the best Bengals on the field. Just like Burfict; I was a big fan, but once he was no longer a benefit to to the team, he had to go. I want Ross to catch 20 TDs and get 1200 yards. It would be glorious. I just see others on the team that are more likely to accomplish that. 

I would probably not even be as down on Ross if he got hurt every training camp. I have seen him out there and he just seemed way too lazy and/or uncommitted to the game. Was hoping some time with TJ in the off season would have helped him, but I didn't see him "turning a corner." Maybe ZT will change that. Sad it'll take a few years and a few different coaches to make you try hard on every play.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 12:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Man, that's brutal but I can't disagree.  This franchise is a career-killer.

You may not disagree but Cedric Benson, Adam Jones, Reggie Nelson, Dhani Jones, Wallace Gilberry, Rich Braham, Trerence Newman and many other would.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 01:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  
You may not disagree but Cedric Benson, Adam Jones, Reggie Nelson, Dhani Jones, Wallace Gilberry, Rich Braham, Trerence Newman and many other would.

Alas, the man who thiveth under Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis is akin to the flower that hath shattered the stone, I fear!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 01:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  

Those are some pro bowl type players. Nelson n Newman I do like
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 11:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s almost like some you are rooting against the kid...

He is.  And when the kid proves all the geniuses wrong this year, the line for crow will be nonexistent.  But I made a list to rub all their noses in it with.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 01:27 PM)Destro Wrote: I am rooting for the Bengals and the best Bengals on the field. Just like Burfict; I was a big fan, but once he was no longer a benefit to to the team, he had to go. I want Ross to catch 20 TDs and get 1200 yards. It would be glorious. I just see others on the team that are more likely to accomplish that. 

I would probably not even be as down on Ross if he got hurt every training camp. I have seen him out there and he just seemed way too lazy and/or uncommitted to the game. Was hoping some time with TJ in the off season would have helped him, but I didn't see him "turning a corner." Maybe ZT will change that. Sad it'll take a few years and a few different coaches to make you try hard on every play.

Bullshit.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 05:24 PM)McC Wrote: Bullshit.

Nope. Some people cannot grasp the idea of wanting something to happen but also realizing that it is highly unlikely. Like getting mad at someone who doesn't buy a lottery ticket. 

If Ross does poorly, it won't make me feel good, because it means yet another Bengals failure. I'm sure if he fails to be any better than a fourth or third receiver, there will be a line of people with excuses for him. Top ten draft pick. Ninth overall. Should be a star at that draft position, by now. Guess if he gets 211 yards we can call it that he is getting better. 
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 05:22 PM)McC Wrote: He is.  And when the kid proves all the geniuses wrong this year, the line for crow will be nonexistent.  But I made a list to rub all their noses in it with.

It's possible, but I lived in Chicago and know a lot of Bears fans and Kevin White was always "just about to" break out year after year and now that he's in Airzona some Bears fans are dreading that he's going to breakout for a different team.  Victory is always over the next hill, so taking the stance that Ross is going to break out this year isn't the boldest one you can make.

But hell, put me on board for it.  I think Ross is going to be be our 2nd best WR this year...whether that is because Boyd flops or AJ is injured has yet to be seen.  This is Ross' year, and if it isn' then 2020 will be his year for sure. I truly believe Ross will be the #2 WR in 2020 because AJ and/or Boyd will be gone.

So in summation Ross will break out and prove the doubters wrong in 2019 unless:
1- our new OC is another idiot like Lazor and Zampese
2 - Dalton gets injured and/or flat-out stinks
3 - AJ and Boyd and Mixon and our TE's are too good at taking targets from Ross
4 - ZT is an idiot who won't play Ross/use him right
5 - he's learning a new system and will fully grasp it by 2020 when he will be ready to break out
6 - Ross gets injured and it nags him the whole year and affects his production/speed
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 11:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It's possible, but I lived in Chicago and know a lot of Bears fans and Kevin White was always "just about to" break out year after year and now that he's in Airzona some Bears fans are dreading that he's going to breakout for a different team.  Victory is always over the next hill, so taking the stance that Ross is going to break out this year isn't the boldest one you can make.

But hell, put me on board for it.  I think Ross is going to be be our 2nd best WR this year...whether that is because Boyd flops or AJ is injured has yet to be seen.  This is Ross' year, and if it isn' then 2020 will be his year for sure.  I truly believe Ross will be the #2 WR in 2020 because AJ and/or Boyd will be gone.

So in summation Ross will break out and prove the doubters wrong in 2019 unless:
1- our new OC is another idiot like Lazor and Zampese
2 - Dalton gets injured and/or flat-out stinks
3 - AJ and Boyd and Mixon and our TE's are too good at taking targets from Ross
4 - ZT is an idiot who won't play Ross/use him right
5 - he's learning a new system and will fully grasp it by 2020 when he will be ready to break out
6 - Ross gets injured and it nags him the whole year and affects his production/speed

We sure spend a lot of time on our number # WR option and number 5 receiving option behind AJ, Boyd, Eifert and pick a RB. Remove the Ross 1st round pick and then put realistic expectations on Ross in year 3. Yes, year 3 or year for a WR to develop into a solid WR in the NFL is more the norm.

Ross showed he can get open in tight spaces near the goal line in 2018 as his TD's were mostly shorter. So, the challenge is how can ZT get the ball in his hands and get him put of bounds (not a big WR) or down in 2019 so he stays healthy. I think he is going to make the naysayers eat their words.

Any WR as the 5th option who can get 600 yards and 8 to 10 TD's is very effective. I could care less ow he was drafted in round 1, it makes no difference as he plays a role on this team. AJ and Boyd are also studs and the ball can only go to 1 player each play.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 12:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We sure spend a lot of time on our number # WR option and number 5 receiving option behind AJ, Boyd, Eifert and pick a RB. Remove the Ross 1st round pick and then put realistic expectations on Ross in year 3. Yes, year 3 or year for a WR to develop into a solid WR in the NFL is more the norm.

Ross showed he can get open in tight spaces near the goal line in 2018 as his TD's were mostly shorter. So, the challenge is how can ZT get the ball in his hands and get him put of bounds (not a big WR) or down in 2019 so he stays healthy. I think he is going to make the naysayers eat their words.

Any WR as the 5th option who can get 600 yards and 8 to 10 TD's is very effective. I could care less ow he was drafted in round 1, it makes no difference as he plays a role on this team. AJ and Boyd are also studs and the ball can only go to 1 player each play.

Lazor knew how to use Ross like a Amish man knowing how to use turntable on open DJ night at the tavern
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 12:36 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Lazor knew how to use Ross like a Amish man knowing how to use turntable on open DJ night at the tavern

Meh, I wasn't a huge fan of the Lazor hire/promotion, but you have to admit it is a little odd we are knocking the guy while at the same time talking about how his former underlings are going to turn this franchise around. Hopefully Lazor was the stand-out dud of that Dolphins coaching unit.
Reply/Quote
No excuses for John Ross this year. This coming from someone who liked the pick and defended it in the past.

Ross has been a bust up to this point. He gets one last opportunity, this time with a new HC who didn't (reportedly) hate the pick.

If Ross doesn't step up, then you have to say Marvin Lewis was right.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 12:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I wasn't a huge fan of the Lazor hire/promotion, but you have to admit it is a little odd we are knocking the guy while at the same time talking about how his former underlings are going to turn this franchise around.  Hopefully Lazor was the stand-out dud of that Dolphins coaching unit.

sometimes its a matter of merely changing up coaches and coordinators.
I will give you perfect examples.

Freddie Kitchens in Cleveland
Sean McVay in LA
Matt Nagy in Chicago.

look at those offenses before those guys arrived. 
Jeff Fischer and John Fox are a cancers to a offensive scheme.
the Bengals got a offensive minded coach.
watch the difference.
history states when Bengals hire offensive HC with a good resume or from a offensive background
good things happen. 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 01:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No excuses for John Ross this year. This coming from someone who liked the pick and defended it in the past.

Ross has been a bust up to this point. He gets one last opportunity, this time with a new HC who didn't (reportedly) hate the pick.

If Ross doesn't step up, then you have to say Marvin Lewis was right.

Ida know...he's only played like 4 games with Dalton so he's technically a rookie.  Plus, if the new offensive system is good it's still his first year in a new system, and if the offensive system isn't good it'll be the system's fault.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 01:08 PM)impactplaya Wrote: history states when Bengals hire offensive HC with a good resume or from a offensive background
good things happen. 

Well yea, as long as you don't count the Dave Shula or Bruce Coslet years or anything within the past 30+ years, of course.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 01:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well yea, as long as you don't count the Dave Shula or Bruce Coslet years or anything within the past 30+ years, of course.

So it works 100% of the time, except when it doesn't work?
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 01:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So it works 100% of the time, except when it doesn't work?

It depends on if you want to believe ZT is his own man, or he is Dave Shula, or he is Sam Wyche.  Personally, I choose to believe he is a magical talking giraffe. 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 01:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It depends on if you want to believe ZT is his own man, or he is Dave Shula, or he is Sam Wyche.  Personally, I choose to believe he is a magical talking giraffe. 

He's definitely inexperience.

I do like some of the things I hear about the staff being 'teachers' although I don't know if it is hype or legit. If it's legit, that's a good quality.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 01:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's definitely inexperience.

I do like some of the things I hear about the staff being 'teachers' although I don't know if it is hype or legit. If it's legit, that's a good quality.

Side note, I recall an uncle of mine jokingly screaming "He's a teacher!" while watching Chuck Noll flounder in the post-Bradshaw era.  I suppose I'd do something similar in gameday threads here when Marvin Lewis and company would score 0-3 points in the 2nd half of a game.

MARVIN IS A GM!!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 01:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well yea, as long as you don't count the Dave Shula or Bruce Coslet years or anything within the past 30+ years, of course.

Shula had a,very limited resume at the NFL level.
Coslet I thought had some good offenses during his run.
too bad the defenses couldnt hold teams to under 24 pts
the Bengals Super Bowl teams had coaches from offensive backgrounds
Reply/Quote