Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where is Ross?
(06-01-2019, 01:18 PM)jason Wrote: I remember someone saying that we got a steal with Cody Core because he played in Treadwell's shadow... Lord have mercy ...

In fairness I think most of us thought Treadwell would be pretty good.

And Cody Core still has a better YPC than John Ross to put that in perspective.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 04:51 PM)cj1895 Wrote: And Cody Core still has a better YPC than John Ross to put that in perspective.

Hopefully Cody is motivated from his horrible injury last season and becomes the #3 receiver.  No Housh mentoring, no high draft pick and salary, just determination. I like underdogs and hopefully Cody teaches a valuable lesson to "Akili" Ross. Sometimes you only get 1 chance.   Attitude

PS. Cody is not even a favorite of mine. Sad 
Reply/Quote
I have high hopes for Ross this season. I have high hopes for a lot of these players that seemed to be passed over during Marvin's tenure as coach. We always seemed to draft players to the bench. And I really disliked that style of bringing players along. I think with QBs and the weight of responsibility, it works. But with other positions, I think it can be detrimental to have them take a year or two off from playing the game.

All it is going to take is 1-2 deep balls where Ross burns any team's secondary. Then every future team will have to play Ross with 2 defenders or try to match his speed. Why be a Bengals fan and not want one of our biggest weapons to develop? Is he perfect? No. He catches with his body/arms and not his hands (that's why his dropped passes bounce off of him). But a lot of good receivers have made body/arm catches before, and it doesn't signal the end to their career. In fact, an over the shoulder catch is basically an arm catch, so no big deal. And outside of the deep ball, crossing routes underneath traffic with him should be un-coverable, if you can get him moving and lose the press. Just put him in motion, motion, motion, motion... when he gets tired... put in Eifert. Then you constantly have the #3 as a match-up nightmare (I wouldn't use Eifert as a #1 TE btw).

I am pro-Ross.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Apparently Ross and DJax are gonna have a race at some point...
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 12:16 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Apparently Ross and DJax are gonna have a race at some point...

But why? These kind of prideful shenanigans is what get's players injured. If your going to run to show how fast you are, then your priorities are undisciplined. Want to show your talent? Do it on the field. I get the PR thing and all, but if he wins, what does that do for the Bengals and the Bengal fans? Absolutely nothing. But if you get hurt and your out 6 weeks, that has a huge impact.

Same reason most of us hate the damn Pro Bowl and other crap these players do for publicity that opens them up for injury. If I'm paying you millions on dollars a year to win me a SB, your ass better not be running until I tell you too. LOL

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 04:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: But why? These kind of prideful shenanigans is what get's players injured. If your going to run to show how fast you are, then your priorities are undisciplined. Want to show your talent? Do it on the field. I get the PR thing and all, but if he wins, what does that do for the Bengals and the Bengal fans? Absolutely nothing. But if you get hurt and your out 6 weeks, that has a huge impact.

Same reason most of us hate the damn Pro Bowl and other crap these players do for publicity that opens them up for injury. If I'm paying you millions on dollars a year to win me a SB, your ass better not be running until I tell you too. LOL

You are correct, but the Ross fan boys need something to keep the faith. All that potential!!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 10:16 PM)Destro Wrote: You are correct, but the Ross fan boys need something to keep the faith. All that potential!!!!

It’s almost like some you are rooting against the kid...

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 01:18 PM)jason Wrote: I remember someone saying that we got a steal with Cody Core because he played in Treadwell's shadow... Lord have mercy ...

In fairness I think most of us thought Treadwell would be pretty good.

Yeah, I recall that too.  Cody Core was a gem who just needed a chance to get on the field, but Marvin insisted on playing the bums with more tenure ahead of him.  Fast forward a season or two and now Cody Core is the bum getting in the way of late-round gem Auden Tate.  Circle of life, and all that crap.
Reply/Quote
Core has had plenty of chances to make plays...move up the depth chart.
Physically he looks the part.
but his hunger and desire to be good is severly lacking
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 05:35 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I have high hopes for Ross this season. I have high hopes for a lot of these players that seemed to be passed over during Marvin's tenure as coach. We always seemed to draft players to the bench. And I really disliked that style of bringing players along.  I think with QBs and the weight of responsibility, it works. But with other positions, I think it can be detrimental to have them take a year or two off from playing the game.

All it is going to take is 1-2 deep balls where Ross burns any team's secondary. Then every future team will have to play Ross with 2 defenders or try to match his speed. Why be a Bengals fan and not want one of our biggest weapons to develop? Is he perfect? No. He catches with his body/arms and not his hands (that's why his dropped passes bounce off of him). But a lot of good receivers have made body/arm catches before, and it doesn't signal the end to their career. In fact, an over the shoulder catch is basically an arm catch, so no big deal.  And outside of the deep ball, crossing routes underneath traffic with him should be un-coverable, if you can get him moving and lose the press. Just put him in motion, motion, motion, motion... when he gets tired... put in Eifert. Then you constantly have the #3 as a match-up nightmare (I wouldn't use Eifert as a #1 TE btw).

I am pro-Ross.

Year 1 Ross was cast to the bench...but it seemed rightly so judging by what we saw Year 2. He did get a decent bit of playing time Year 2. The 7 TD's was impressive. The 210 yards wasn't.

I disagree that throwing him deep balls and him burning a secondary is the way to use him. They tried that A LOT last year and for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like that's going to work for him in the NFL. His speed doesn't just translate to him running by guys.

I do think they need to work on getting him the ball underneath and letting him run and make moves in space. He seems to excel at that. I'd also put him in motion like the Chiefs do with Evans and use fakes a lot and then throw him screens, etc.

The thing is, IF he's a big part of the offense...he's likely going to miss games so you need a Plan B for that role.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 11:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s almost like some you are rooting against the kid...

No one wants him to fail, we all lose in that situation. What the detractors like myself would love to see is this front office cut dead weight. We far too often keep underperforming players way too long. It causes more damage than cutting your losses and moving on. Everyone points to the 7 TD's. I would take the position that a player capable of putting up more than a measly 210 yards on a season would have had more than 7 TD's.

We'll see how it goes this season but I challenge anyone to name a WR that has struggled as mightily as John Ross and rebounded. I honestly can't think of a single one. As I posted before his numbers are nearly identical to Laquon Treadwell. He disappointed greatly still in his third season so we will see if Ross can buck the trend.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 11:28 PM)cj1895 Wrote: No one wants him to fail, we all lose in that situation. What the detractors like myself would love to see is this front office cut dead weight. We far too often keep underperforming players way too long. It causes more damage than cutting your losses and moving on. Everyone points to the 7 TD's. I would take the position that a player capable of putting up more than a measly 210 yards on a season would have had more than 7 TD's.

We'll see how it goes this season but I challenge anyone to name a WR that has struggled as mightily as John Ross and rebounded. I honestly can't think of a single one. As I posted before his numbers are nearly identical to Laquon Treadwell. He disappointed greatly still in his third season so we will see if Ross can buck the trend.

It's great that Ross scored 7 TDs, but he only netted 210 yards and he was only good for what...0-3 catches per game?  And he did all this in a miserable losing season.  That seems like the type of stuff people would be pretty upset about, fair or not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 11:28 PM)cj1895 Wrote: No one wants him to fail, we all lose in that situation. What the detractors like myself would love to see is this front office cut dead weight. We far too often keep underperforming players way too long. It causes more damage than cutting your losses and moving on. Everyone points to the 7 TD's. I would take the position that a player capable of putting up more than a measly 210 yards on a season would have had more than 7 TD's.

There is nobody behind him to step up and play WR3. Now if you want to argue they should have drafted someone, fine, but it would be silly to cut him right now.

And yes there are people that seem like they want him to fail. Some care more about being right than they do about certain players succeeding.

Reply/Quote
Also, Treadwell has had ONE TD in 40 games...

At the very least Ross is a way better RZ weapon.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 11:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's great that Ross scored 7 TDs, but he only netted 210 yards and he was only good for what...0-3 catches per game?  And he did all this in a miserable losing season.  That seems like the type of stuff people would be pretty upset about, fair or not.

Ross was never going to be the #1 WR with Green on the field.
Tyler Boyd did so well last year in becoming the #2. 
Then you have Mixon with his ability to catch the ball.
so Ross's targets in 2018 were going to be limited based on
the talent around him.
plus Jeff Driskel wasnt going to do.him any favors with his inaccurate arm
plus you throw in Lazors unimaginative playbook.
Ross had alot to overcome 
Reply/Quote
I ran track in 9th grade on an old cinder track. At the end of my leg of the 220 relays I tripped at full speed and my shoulder got ripped up by those cinders..I still have what looks like an attempted tattoo there to this day.. Don't tell me running fast isn't dangerous!  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Have you ever played fantasy football? The 3rd year breakout WR is real. Boyd is an obvious example from last year. Receivers tearing it up in their first couple years has become a little more common in recent years. But it generally takes some time. 7 TDs behind AJ, Boyd, Eifert, with Driskel throwing the ball and Marvin coaching is impressive in its own right. Enough to give me hope that he can fit right into the the 3rd year breakout category and be one of the many on that list. 

He does have his work cut out for him as a 3rd WR on a run first offense with a receiving TE. But if he hits the type of plays he is capable of. If he gets to 7 TDs and 700-800 yards behind a healthy AJ, Boyd, and Eifert would mean our offense is putting up huge numbers. 
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 12:50 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Ross was never going to be the #1 WR with Green on the field.
the talent around him.

Fair enough, but it does make you wonder if enough things will go right for his 2019 season to be one that actually counts.  Lord willing, AJ and Boyd and Mixon and at least 1 TE are going to be taking targets from Ross this season.  This comes down to Ross' draft placement being the strike against him.  A top 10 pick shouldn't be the type of player who needs everything around him to be clicking in order to perform.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 01:53 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Have you ever played fantasy football? The 3rd year breakout WR is real. Boyd is an obvious example from last year. Receivers tearing it up in their first couple years has become a little more common in recent years. But it generally takes some time. 7 TDs behind AJ, Boyd, Eifert, with Driskel throwing the ball and Marvin coaching is impressive in its own right. Enough to give me hope that he can fit right into the the 3rd year breakout category and be one of the many on that list. 

He does have his work cut out for him as a 3rd WR on a run first offense with a receiving TE. But if he hits the type of plays he is capable of. If he gets to 7 TDs and 700-800 yards behind a healthy AJ, Boyd, and Eifert would mean our offense is putting up huge numbers. 

Yes, I've played fantasy football. like I said above, please name a player that has broken out year three with less than 220 yards receiving the first two years of their career...The answer is zero.  Better yet lets round up to 350 yards over the first two seasons...

If this guy was a 3rd round to 5th round pick he would probably have already have been cut, hence my comment about the organization hanging on too long with high draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 12:50 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Ross was never going to be the #1 WR with Green on the field.
the talent around him.

QBs love to throw to guys who can catch. If you can't catch, you hardly will get the ball. That's where Ross's problem is. I have a feeling that running  while catching is not something he can do (thus his high TDs compared to his yardage).  I seen he is very good at running AFTER the catch. I suspect he may not even be talented as a receiver and could play a different position better...but he's been annoited as a receiver so he should forever be a receiver.
Reply/Quote