Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where will Dalton go? Place your bets...
(03-19-2020, 10:44 AM)McC Wrote: Weird that a couple years ago, they were a couple plays away from the SB.

They really were screwed out of that game vs. NE. They were really good. It seems like decades ago. Fans around here are so disgusted...and I can't believe they didn't fire Marrone and Caldwell. Tom Coughlin was a big part of the problem, but they needed a total overhaul. 

Then they gave away all those games to London, and people are starting to think the objective is to Cleveland Indians in "Major League" things. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've read a couple articles now where they're speculating NE just doesn't have the $$$ and/or they're unwilling to give Dalton that much.

It's looking like cut is gonna be it ?
Reply/Quote
With so many quarterbacks available this year as free agents, it was always going to be tough. Seriously, who would have ever thought that Tom Brady and Philip Rivers would go to new teams as free agents the same year. I feel bad for Andy, he deserves better

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 10:53 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've read a couple articles now where they're speculating NE just doesn't have the $$$ and/or they're unwilling to give Dalton that much.

It's looking like cut is gonna be it ?

Yep. FWIW Paul Dehner Jr thinks it’s the most likely at this point.

Reply/Quote
This is all the more reason why he should have been dealt at the deadline last season.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I don’t think many teams want to give up a draft pick for a middle of the pack QB who has reached his ceiling with a $17M cap hit for one year.

A 4th round pick like the Foles trade sounds about right. But, I believe Mike Brown thinks he is worth more than that and is stubborn enough note to trade him for anything less. Plus they have to trade him to team Dalton approves of.

I would not be surprised if they weren’t able to trade him. But, it seems like someone else is in charge of the decision making this offseason so maybe they will trade him mid to late round pick if that’s the best they can get.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:33 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don’t think many teams want to give up a draft pick for a middle of the pack QB who has reached his ceiling with a $17M cap hit for one year.

A 4th round pick like the Foles trade sounds about right. But, I believe Mike Brown thinks he is worth more than that and is stubborn enough note to trade him for anything less. Plus they have to trade him to team Dalton approves of.

I would not be surprised if they weren’t able to trade him. But, it seems like someone else is in charge of the decision making this offseason so maybe they will trade him mid to late round pick if that’s the best they can get.

No they don’t.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 10:44 AM)McC Wrote: Weird that a couple years ago, they were a couple plays away from the SB.

Yeah, and where the heck is Blake Bortles now?  One guy I would keep an eye on is Cardale Jones.  I think he still has potential in the right scheme.  Actually thought he would be perfect for Arians at Tampa, but I guess Brady is a bit more proven.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, and where the heck is Blake Bortles now?  One guy I would keep an eye on is Cardale Jones.  I think he still has potential in the right scheme.  Actually thought he would be perfect for Arians at Tampa, but I guess Brady is a bit more proven.  Ninja

Didn't this dude just get cut from a minor league pro team???
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No they don’t.

You’re right, they don’t. But, they are trying to accommodate him.

Jesus, you guys are tougher than my college Lit professor with the corrections.
Reply/Quote
I still see NE as the landing spot.. said that in beginning of search and still think it can happen... We might have to eat some of contract but if we can a 3rd rounder from the pick I would be ok with that...
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:57 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I still see NE as the landing spot.. said that in beginning of search and still think it can happen... We might have to eat some of contract but if we can a 3rd rounder from the pick I would be ok with that...

I'd be okay with a 4th rounder. Tbh, at this point the most valuable thing we can get from Andy is that $17 million in cap space while there are still good free agents available. The longer we wait, the more meaningless that money will be.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:02 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I think that was more of a fake news rumor, but it does seem to make sense as one of the only ways NE could get Dalton. They dont have much cap, so they would need to unload more salary, and possibly get Dalton to restructure. As unlikely as it is, it seems like a player for player trade with some salary negotiating may be the only way to work a trade with them. NE lost some guys so they need draft picks to rebuild. BB has eluded that NE and the Bengals have dealt with each other very well in past trade deals, and he has also said he likes Dalton. So maybe this will prove to be where there is smoke there is fire kind of thing, but it is probably more likely to be a fan fantasy kind of thing lol.

It may be us giving up a late round pick to trade Dalton for Wynn. What is Wynn's value to us vs Dalton's value to them? Would we give up Dalton and a 5th or 6th for Wynn or would we want Wynn and a late pick for Dalton? Still think its fan speculation but its fun to think about.

Good point, and good questions. Honestly? I know we've been thinking about what we could get in return for Dalton, and we've been thinking of it in terms of draft picks. But we could think about it in terms of trading him for something we really need, and to get that we might need to give more than just him. I don't know if Wynne has shown enough to be worth Dalton, let alone Dalton AND a pick. I know I was really high on him coming out of college. What's he done in NE? I know he's been hurt alot.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 12:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd be okay with a 4th rounder. Tbh, at this point the most valuable thing we can get from Andy is that $17 million in cap space while there are still good free agents available. The longer we wait, the more meaningless that money will be.

We still have time.. not sure when that decision needs to be made... we don;t need to just spend 17 million .. there will be cuts and signings also with roster trims etc... we have really zero backup to Burrow at this time.. we saw enough out of our QBs to know we have very little behind Burrow... 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:48 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You’re right, they don’t. But, they are trying to accommodate him.

Jesus, you guys are tougher than my college Lit professor with the corrections.

Absolutely. One can’t just treat Andy Dalton like garbage; I don’t understand the hate. I’m excited about Joe Burrow too but accommodating Andy and helping him find a good landing spot is a classy thing to do. The first time he comes back to Paul Brown Stadium in another team’s uniform I’ll be on my feet just like I was for Carson Palmer. Of course, after the first snap, I hoped Carson lost and I’ll wish the same against Andy.
Reply/Quote
Also remember on the contract because there is no dead cap money Andy can easily reduce his cap hit to any new team by doing a sign and trade where he does something like rip up the current deal and, say, does 24 million over three years - voila! Cap hit cut in half.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 12:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We still have time.. not sure when that decision needs to be made... we don;t need to just spend 17 million .. there will be cuts and signings also with roster trims etc... we have really zero backup to Burrow at this time.. we saw enough out of our QBs to know we have very little behind Burrow... 

Idk man, the good players tend to dry up pretty fast in the first week of free agency. You're right about cuts later on, but you're also right about us having poor depth behind Burrow. We need a veteran guy on the bench, and the longer we wait, the worse our options will be in that regard as well. In the end, I don't think one 3rd-4th round pick is that big of a deal, and it's fully possible we wind up holding on to Dalton for nothing.

And no, we definitely don't need Dalton backing up Burrow. No way, no how. The last thing we want is a salty Andy Dalton sitting on the bench, or a QB controversy if Burrow struggles. It's a new era, time to move on.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 12:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd be okay with a 4th rounder. Tbh, at this point the most valuable thing we can get from Andy is that $17 million in cap space while there are still good free agents available. The longer we wait, the more meaningless that money will be.

I would be more than fine with a 4th rounder for Dalton myself. You are right, the good FA's are flying off the shelf.

If we did a player for player trade I would like Wynn. The Pats have to have good LB's on that Defense too.
Reply/Quote
pats in a transition year so they can blame the poor play on andy (if there is any).
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ....

I believe in the word Mario Brothers, it means their last name is Mario, so it's actually Mario Mario and Luigi Mario. I like it in your case, their first name. Mario Mario, and Mario Luigi.
Reply/Quote