Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where will we land on the Opening Day OL?
This is all a blind guess at this point as we are not the coaches.

My guess is:

Starters:

Williams - Spain - Hopkins - XSF - Reiff

Reserves: Price, Carman, Smith, Johnson, MJ(spit)….

I am thinking they are hoping to sneak Hill onto the PS along with Prince. Personally I would play it safe and keep Hill on the 53 and yes, go with 11 OL for now.

TBH, this is a FAR stronger group than we had to open last season both on starters and reserves.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The only question I think we have is RG. I think it’s a race between XSF and Jordan with D’ante Smith as a dark horse.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 05:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: This is all a blind guess at this point as we are not the coaches.

My guess is:

Starters:

I am thinking they are hoping to sneak Hill onto the PS along with Prince. Personally I would play it safe and keep Hill on the 53 and yes, go  with 11 OL for now.

TBH, this is a FAR stronger group than we had to open last season both on starters and reserves.

This. They will start the grizzled vets, and bring the younger players along as they progress until they take the spots.
Reply/Quote
Is there an indication one way or the other that Trey Hopkins will be ready for the first game of the season?

I do like the idea of keeping 10. It allows for some rotation even if not everyone dresses for every game.

Reply/Quote
I could see Smith starting at RG if he shows much of anything. XSF might be the safer option. Price, Carman, or Jordan are outside possibilities but I don't think that any of the three have shown enough polish. 
Reply/Quote
I agree,I would go with 11 on the OL.And yes,starters,Williams,Spain,Hopkins,XSF,Reiff.I would definitely have D’Ante Smith on the 53.Prince has looked pretty good so far also.I think they have a few promising prospects in these younger guys.They just need more time to develop.Play the vets in the meantime.I’m hoping XSF steps his game up to above average this year at the RG position.If he does,I don’t really have a problem with the lineup of Williams,Spain,Hopkins,XSF,Reiff.I think most would agree that it’s an improvement over last years lineup.

If this line comes together and plays above average this year,I think they could be a playoff contender.That’s why so many people have the OL under the microscope this year.They’re thinking the same thing I’m thinking.If they’re above average,look out,because this offense will be hard to stop.
Reply/Quote
Williams-Spain-Hopkins-Jordan-Reiff.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Williams - Spain - Hopkins - D Smith- Reiff
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 05:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: This is all a blind guess at this point as we are not the coaches.

My guess is:

Starters:

I am thinking they are hoping to sneak Hill onto the PS along with Prince. Personally I would play it safe and keep Hill on the 53 and yes, go  with 11 OL for now.

I think your guess is correct at this time cause D'Ante might miss the Washington game, but he was seriously pushing for a 
starting spot after his first showing. We will see how Carman keeps adapting and if XSF has troubles as the RG spot could be 
up in the air if XSF does struggle and the others play well.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 06:26 PM)Tony Wrote: Williams - Spain - Hopkins - D Smith- Reiff

This is what i'm thinking if Smith continues with what he did in Tampa. XSF has trouble staying healthy and would be valuable coming off the bench. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 09:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This is what i'm thinking if Smith continues with what he did in Tampa. XSF has trouble staying healthy and would be valuable coming off the bench. 

Could happen, just saw D'Ante might not play against Washington though cause of lack of hydration.

But no one that watched that Tampa game wasn't impressed with D'Ante. That dude is way ahead of where we all thought he would
be at this time. Carman should take some time to adapt to Guard. It's all good and XSF is good depth as you say too.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 09:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Could happen, just saw D'Ante might not play against Washington though cause of lack of hydration.

But no one that watched that Tampa game wasn't impressed with D'Ante. That dude is way ahead of where we all thought he would
be at this time. Carman should take some time to adapt to Guard. It's all good and XSF is good depth as you say too.

Carman would also be there to backup up both Tackle spots. His natural position... 
Reply/Quote
Hope they don't try to sneak Hill on practice squad

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 06:26 PM)Tony Wrote: Williams - Spain - Hopkins - D Smith- Reiff

D'Ante Smith has yet to take a rep at Right Guard so I wouldn't pencil him in there until that happens. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 10:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Hope they don't try to sneak Hill on practice squad

Is it really sneaking to place a 6th round pick on the squad? 

If other teams were super high on him they would have targeted him sooner. While he looked good in the preseason game it was in the 4th quarter against other potential practice squad guys. 

If he gets reps against first or second stringers and holds up then you start to question if he would slip through waivers. 

This does further my hate of the practice squad rules and roster regulations in general. It seems dumb to have to "waive" guys to sign them to the P.S. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
If you keep 11, which position group are you taking a spot from?

We'll go 10 and cut one of the vets, maybe both (Spain, XSF).

Williams - Smith - Hopkins - Jordan - Reiff
Prince - Hill - Price - Carman - Johnson

That 10th spot in my book is between Johnson and Spain. I think Hill has potential and with Price likely gone next year, and Hopkins coming off another lower leg injury, I think it's good to have a prospect on the roster.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 06:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Williams-Spain-Hopkins-Jordan-Reiff.

I think it will be this.

I’d love for Smith or Carman to step up and take that RG spot, but right now I think it’s MJ’s job to lose. From everything I’ve heard XSF hasn’t been very good. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up just cutting him. I can’t see paying 3.4 mil for a backup OG.

Reply/Quote
Hill gets the phantom IR that keeps him out all year to fix his body.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 05:18 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The only question I think we have is RG. I think it’s a race between XSF and Jordan with D’ante Smith as a dark horse.

I think Smith is being groomed at LG, and will play behind Spain.
I think it will go XSF, then Jordan, then Carman at RG unless Carman shows enough over the next two weeks jump Jordan as the primary backup RG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 10:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: If you keep 11, which position group are you taking a spot from?

We'll go 10 and cut one of the vets, maybe both (Spain, XSF).

Williams - Smith - Hopkins - Jordan - Reiff
Prince - Hill - Price - Carman - Johnson

That 10th spot in my book is between Johnson and Spain. I think Hill has potential and with Price likely gone next year, and Hopkins coming off another lower leg injury, I think it's good to have a prospect on the roster.

Spain isn't going anywhere.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote