Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which FA do you want if money did not matter?
(03-01-2024, 11:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I mean...Dalton Risner was just sitting out there after the season started (signed with MIN Sept 19), and I thought he was an immediate upgrade over Volson.
Risner's contract was only $3 mill.

If the staff wanted to upgrade IOL, they could have even after the season started.
I don't feel they will other than the backups since both their backup guards are hitting FA.

You're not wrong. Though I think we may be re-evaluating some stuff after last season. 

Like your thoughts on S, which are spot in, IOL would not be my first option (DT/RT). But if we whiff, or free up more cash, I could see a IOL move. Or a relatively high (Rd3-Rd4) pick if we really hit it out the park in FA. 

I do think upgrading the trenches is probably priority #1 at this point. And everything but DE is included. 

I mean, I could see us taking the kid from Oregon at C in some scenarios. Sign Reader, L. Williams, & Onwenu in FA. Dine baring freeing up more cash with restrucures/cuts. Maybe enough for Townsend, too. Draft the C. Move Karras to G (or move the C to G). Volson as depth. 

Worry about TE & WR3 and CB depth in rounds 2-4. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 12:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: You're not wrong. Though I think we may be re-evaluating some stuff after last season. 

Like your thoughts on S, which are spot in, IOL would not be my first option (DT/RT). But if we whiff, or free up more cash, I could see a IOL move. Or a relatively high (Rd3-Rd4) pick if we really hit it out the park in FA. 

I do think upgrading the trenches is probably priority #1 at this point. And everything but DE is included. 

I mean, I could see us taking the kid from Oregon at C in some scenarios. Sign Reader, L. Williams, & Onwenu in FA. Dine baring freeing up more cash with restrucures/cuts. Maybe enough for Townsend, too. Draft the C. Move Karras to G (or move the C to G). Volson as depth. 

I think if we see an IOL drafted, it will be with the plan to either have them as a long-term backup or at least backup the next 1-2 years until Karras/Cappa departs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 06:32 PM)pulses Wrote: Bengals won't pay Fant that price but I think they would Schultz.

I agree and there is no need to. Is there any interest in here on TE Albert okwundhjsjahsnjfidauTayox? Wasn’t he a first round pick or maybe early 2nd? What’s the deal with him?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 01:05 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: I agree and there is no need to.  Is there any interest in here on TE Albert okwundhjsjahsnjfidauTayox?  Wasn’t he a first round pick or maybe early 2nd?  What’s the deal with him?

he played in 4 games last year with No stats.
https://www.nfl.com/players/albert-okwuegbunam/stats/career

currently resigned a 1 year deal with the eagles.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 01:05 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: I agree and there is no need to.  Is there any interest in here on TE Albert okwundhjsjahsnjfidauTayox?  Wasn’t he a first round pick or maybe early 2nd?  What’s the deal with him?

Talking about Okwuegbunam?

If so, he fell to the 4th round, and justifiably so after seeing his lack of production in the NFL to-date.
In 30 games, he's started only 7 and put up 546 yards and 4 TDs.
He was never really a stud at Mizzou either, but people thought he would be one of those guys that was underutilized in college.
He is 6'5" and nearly 260 lbs but still ran a 4.49 at the 2020 Combine, so dude does have good measurables.
Maybe he could be a cheap option the Bengals could mold into their new starting TE, but he basically got outshined by Fant 2020-2021 and Dulcich in 2022 in DEN, and then only 4 games in PHI last year.
He is only about to turn 26 in April, so he still has time to blossom.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 12:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: You're not wrong. Though I think we may be re-evaluating some stuff after last season. 

I like all these thoughts Ike. I hope the FO is thinking similarly in FA and the Draft. The trenches with Leonard Williams, Onwenu and 
drafting Powers-Johnson for the future Center while moving Karras sure would make this team so much more physical in the trenches.

Drafting a RB like Braelon Allen that is hard to tackle would be awesome as well and getting another scat back like either Tyrone Tracy
or Kimani Vidal who can pass protect and make teams pay with playmaking ability in the run and passing game would be great.
Reply/Quote
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-eagles-to-release-kevin-byard

Should there be any interest? I know we are projected by some drafts to go Safety early.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 03:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-eagles-to-release-kevin-byard

Should there be any interest?  I know we are projected by some drafts to go Safety early.

Should there be interest? I think we'd all want there to be.
I think basically everyone would think Byard would/could give this secondary an immediate boost.

Will there be interest though? 
I am not so sure, as that might be bailing from Hill too quick and Bengals haven't typically been interested in 30+ year old FAs other than Riley Reiff as a one-year stopgap.

If they would look to move Hill out of that starting spot though, I think it would make the most sense to move him to slot and prep to replace Hilton after this season.
But man, that would be a disappointing rookie campaign for Hill to basically miss entire rookie year, start as a sophomore and do well for about half the year, then get moved to a new position and essentially demoted to a backup again until the incumbent starting slot departs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think my answer to the OP is Antoine Winfield Jr. I feel like getting a near elite veteran safety would move the defense back to where they were in 2022. I also think that the team views help in the secondary as more of a need than fans might. Lou is a DB coach at heart, and his defense requires high-end football intelligence in the secondary to be effective.

I'd try to bring back Reader on a 1-year deal with an injury discount, draft a young DT on day 1 or 2, then plug Winfield in as the new starting FS. His impact on the Bengals' defense could be similar to Roquan Smith's in Baltimore.

Highly unlikely, but one can dream.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 04:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Should there be interest? I think we'd all want there to be.
I think basically everyone would think Byard would/could give this secondary an immediate boost.

Will there be interest though? 
I am not so sure, as that might be bailing from Hill too quick and Bengals haven't typically been interested in 30+ year old FAs other than Riley Reiff as a one-year stopgap.

If they would look to move Hill out of that starting spot though, I think it would make the most sense to move him to slot and prep to replace Hilton after this season.
But man, that would be a disappointing rookie campaign for Hill to basically miss entire rookie year, start as a sophomore and do well for about half the year, then get moved to a new position and essentially demoted to a backup again until the incumbent starting slot departs.

Dax would still get a ton of playing time especially when we are playing in Big Dime packages with Dax playing Slot Corner. This is Hilton's last 
year of his contract. Need to prepare for his departure and Dax was our best defender against TE's last season and has way more length than 
Hilton.

I would love it if we brought in Byard who is a very intelligent Vet with tons of experience. 

(03-01-2024, 06:25 PM)samhain Wrote: I think my answer to the OP is Antoine Winfield Jr.  I feel like getting a near elite veteran safety would move the defense back to where they were in 2022.  I also think that the team views help in the secondary as more of a need than fans might.  Lou is a DB coach at heart, and his defense requires high-end football intelligence in the secondary to be effective.  

I'd try to bring back Reader on a 1-year deal with an injury discount, draft a young DT on day 1 or 2, then plug Winfield in as the new starting FS.  His impact on the Bengals' defense could be similar to Roquan Smith's in Baltimore.

Yes, that is the dream pickup at Safety.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 06:25 PM)samhain Wrote: I think my answer to the OP is Antoine Winfield Jr.  I feel like getting a near elite veteran safety would move the defense back to where they were in 2022.  I also think that the team views help in the secondary as more of a need than fans might.  Lou is a DB coach at heart, and his defense requires high-end football intelligence in the secondary to be effective.  

I'd try to bring back Reader on a 1-year deal with an injury discount, draft a young DT on day 1 or 2, then plug Winfield in as the new starting FS.  His impact on the Bengals' defense could be similar to Roquan Smith's in Baltimore.

It is a good dream. I'd dream bigger. 

I mean, I think we have $44 mil or so in cap practical cap space. IDK what Reader will cost Y1, but I'd hope less than $10 mil. For gits & shiggles, say $8 mil. $36 mil left. Cut Scott. $38 mil. 

If we can free up $7 mil more with restructures, that is $45 mil. A $20 mil guy, a $15 mil guy, and a $10 mil guy. Or 3 15's. 

I mean, I think it likely Winfield is tagged. Onwenu, too.  But, say, Reader + L. Williams ($15) + vet safety ($10 or less) + Elumuenor + Townsend is doable even without any restructuring. With some restrucuring, one of a higher quality FA OT, Schultz, Chido, & Boyd is in play. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 08:16 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It is a good dream. I'd dream bigger. 

I mean, I think we have $44 mil or so in cap practical cap space. IDK what Reader will cost Y1, but I'd hope less than $10 mil. For gits & shiggles, say $8 mil. $36 mil left. Cut Scott. $38 mil. 

If we can free up $7 mil more with restructures, that is $45 mil. A $20 mil guy, a $15 mil guy, and a $10 mil guy. Or 3 15's. 

I mean, I think it likely Winfield is tagged. Onwenu, too.  But, say, Reader + L. Williams ($15) + vet safety ($10 or less) + Elumuenor + Townsend is doable even without any restructuring. With some restrucuring, one of a higher quality FA OT, Schultz, Chido, & Boyd is in play. 

If Reader is a shadow of himself, he's better than any NT out there.  It's a risk I take all day long.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 04:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Should there be interest? I think we'd all want there to be.

A guy like Byard, even on a one year deal could do wonders in assisting our young secondary to talk to one another in games.  And, it might be an easy transition from a major media market team to come to a small market team with legit Superbowl aspirations.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It may have already been mentioned ?? Didn't go through entire thread. But Noah Fant TE Seattle 20th pick in the first round of 2019 - Denver. And I'm not sure he's yet reached his potential on some not so great teams ?

This would free up our draft a bit and give us an at least decent vet who may become even more.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 10:00 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It may have already been mentioned ?? Didn't go through entire thread. But Noah Fant TE Seattle 20th pick in the first round of 2019 - Denver. And I'm not sure he's yet reached his potential on some not so great teams ?

This would free up our draft a bit and give us an at least decent vet who may become even more.

I think he'd be a nice pickup.  Just not sure he's a "money doesn't matter" pickup.  I only say that because I think he's a pretty realistic target for them.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 09:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A guy like Byard, even on a one year deal could do wonders in assisting our young secondary to talk to one another in games.  And, it might be an easy transition from a major media market team to come to a small market team with legit Superbowl aspirations.

Byard played in Nashville for years, so he wouldn't have a problem with a small market team.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 08:49 PM)samhain Wrote: If Reader is a shadow of himself, he's better than any NT out there.  It's a risk I take all day long.

Me, too. 

Again, I totally get the injury concerns. But he is elite at what he does. Has recovered from one of these already. FA class does not have a replacement. Draft class at NT is weak. Sweat is not good enough for Rd1 and almost assuredly gone by 49. That leaves Jackson. And we could have other priorities Rd2 (TE, CB, WR, DT) depending on FA. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2024, 05:21 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Me, too. 

Again, I totally get the injury concerns. But he is elite at what he does. Has recovered from one of these already. FA class does not have a replacement. Draft class at NT is weak. Sweat is not good enough for Rd1 and almost assuredly gone by 49. That leaves Jackson. And we could have other priorities Rd2 (TE, CB, WR, DT) depending on FA. 

Yes, don't understand the people who don't want to bring back DJ.
Reply/Quote