Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which FA do you want if money did not matter?
(02-29-2024, 02:09 AM)pulses Wrote: Onwenu is already pretty well set. He's as good as Cappa and Karras when we brought them in. He's played all over the OL but OC and finally settled at RT and has played well.

The reality is though that none of the OL blocking for the Bengals have performed like studs since putting on the stripes.
Not ragging on the players since they performed better before coming to CIN, but I don't think this scheme does them any favors.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2024, 04:21 PM)Nepa Wrote: If the Bengals had not selected Murphy in the 1st last year, Chop Robinson would have been a terrific target this year among those who will possibly be there at 18. Quick, speedy, powerful, and with a non-stop motor and who also is a good tackler. Given they took Murphy last year, however, he is likely off the board, and the Bengals will have to find a pass rusher from the interior of the line, among I guess Newton and Murphy in the 1st, if either are available at 18 (unlikely I guess).

Chop Robinson eh? What school is he from again? I think Newton could be there at 18 coming off of injury, but Byron Murphy measured in at 
the Combine and is in great shape and is the perfect size for an NFL 3-tech at 297 pounds and 6.04 inches tall.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2024, 08:03 PM)pulses Wrote:  Stone 71.9 pff with 7 INT's last year.

There are a lot of good S's on the market. He is one. 

I mean, NT/DT (Reader), 3T (Jones, Wilkins, Williams), and OT (Smith, Onwenu) would be my top priorities. Then HR DBs (Winfield, Johnson, Sneed), also longshots. 

After that? Stud IOL (Risner, C. Williams), Mid-level RT (Eluemunor), TE (Schultz), vet S, Chido, Boyd, stud P (Townsend). 

I mean, probably 4-6 of those are possible, max. Unless we free up more space or whiff on big fish & go for more mid-tier guys. After that, vet min types. ADG/Hudson. Tupou/upgrade? 
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 04:25 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: There are a lot of good S's on the market. He is one. 

I mean, NT/DT (Reader), 3T (Jones, Wilkins, Williams), and OT (Smith, Onwenu) would be my top priorities. Then HR DBs (Winfield, Johnson, Sneed), also longshots. 

After that? Stud IOL (Risner, C. Williams), Mid-level RT (Eluemunor), TE (Schultz), vet S, Chido, Boyd, stud P (Townsend). 

I mean, probably 4-6 of those are possible, max. Unless we free up more space or whiff on big fish & go for more mid-tier guys. After that, vet min types. ADG/Hudson. Tupou/upgrade? 

While we did hear that maybe the staff isn't sold on Hill being at FS long-term, I do think talks of another safety is knee-jerk reaction.
People had way too lofty expectations that two first-time starters were gonna come in and have the defense not miss a beat.

I'm ok adding another safety, but I A) don't want a lot of money dumped into one, and B) don't want an early-round draft pick spent on one.
Bengals have too many other needs to worry about.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 10:33 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The reality is though that none of the OL blocking for the Bengals have performed like studs since putting on the stripes.
Not ragging on the players since they performed better before coming to CIN, but I don't think this scheme does them any favors.

NO the scheme we've been using is garbage and does not fit our players strengths at all.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 04:25 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: There are a lot of good S's on the market. He is one. 

Snead was tagged from what i seen.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 04:44 PM)pulses Wrote: NO the scheme we've been using is garbage and does not fit our players strengths at all.

I believe they tried the gap scheme but the guys they have are too slow to execute it. If there's another blocking scheme that isnt power or gap, let me know. Im not in tune with that stuff

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 04:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I believe they tried the gap scheme but the guys they have are too slow to execute it. If there's another blocking scheme that isnt power or gap, let me know. Im not in tune with that stuff

That's for the run game only.

I know your question wasn't to me, but I wanted to give my explanation of what I meant when I said scheme doesn't do any favors.
I was specifically meaning the plays being called that are not getting receivers open quickly enough and thus requiring the QB to hold the ball longer, and/or the short routes are just not good or creative enough that they are hardly getting any yards from those short routes.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 04:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's for the run game only.

I know your question wasn't to me, but I wanted to give my explanation of what I meant when I said scheme doesn't do any favors.
I was specifically meaning the plays being called that are not getting receivers open quickly enough and thus requiring the QB to hold the ball longer, and/or the short routes are just not good or creative enough that they are hardly getting any yards from those short routes.
Scheme and partially our younger WR's are ot good route runners and can't get seperation like they need to.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2024, 06:18 PM)pulses Wrote: Think they're gonna go after Onwenu. He's much younger and room for growth.

Love it. Trent brown represents all tackles of equal or more value I want. Onwenu come on down. Someone had said earlier gimme onwenu Leonard Williams and I think it was noah fant. If the bengals do that all I’d ask for is sign reader and be done. Go into the draft BPA
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 06:25 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Love it.  Trent brown represents all tackles of equal or more value I want.  Onwenu come on down.  Someone had said earlier gimme onwenu Leonard Williams and I think it was noah fant.  If the bengals do that all I’d ask for is sign reader and be done.  Go into the draft BPA

Bengals won't pay Fant that price but I think they would Schultz.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2024, 06:18 PM)pulses Wrote: Think they're gonna go after Onwenu. He's much younger and room for growth.

He's probably the best realistic option on the market, and it would show they are serious about trying to fix that OL.

FWIW, Spotrac has Onwenu's market value at $13.6 mill APY.

With Karras hitting FA next season and Cappa the year after, they might be ok spending $10+ mill on a RT since their payroll for IOL could be going down in the upcoming years.
If Onwenu were to sign a 3-year deal or longer, they'd have their OT tandem in place for the next 3 seasons.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 06:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's probably the best realistic option on the market, and it would show they are serious about trying to fix that OL.

With Karras hitting FA next season and Cappa the year after, they might be ok spending $10+ mill on a RT since their payroll for IOL could be going down in the upcoming years.
If Onwenu were to sign a 3-year deal or longer, they'd have their OT tandem in place for the next 3 seasons.

I'd offer Onwenu like 3 years and 45 million and half guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 06:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's probably the best realistic option on the market, and it would show they are serious about trying to fix that OL.

(02-29-2024, 06:56 PM)pulses Wrote: I'd offer Onwenu like 3 years and 45 million and half guaranteed.

Good stuff, hope the Pats keep Duggar with the Tag and Onwenu is able to test the market and we can grab him up for something similar
to what you guys here say.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 03:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Chop Robinson eh? What school is he from again? 

You know what school he's from. 6-foot-2 7/8 and 254 pounds. Eye-popping 4.48 seconds in the 40-yard today.  Unofficial split of 1.54 seconds at 10 yards was one of the best for a player his size over the past two decades. Broad jump of 10 feet, 8 inches tied for best in the group. Anyway, the Bengals selected Murphy last year, so Chop Robinson is likely off their boards. But had they not taken Murphy last year, he would someone that could make it to #18 and have been a force off the edge. 

As I stated (and you stated), the Bengals will need to hope they get an interior lineman that can generate sacks. And that Murphy takes a step forward this year and the Bengals don't regret having passed on Sam LaPorta last year for Murphy, with LaPorta last year breaking the NFL record for receptions by a rookie tight end.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 01:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I cannot get behind this. I want old Olinemen, those who have learned from good Oline coaches and have nothing to learn coming here.

I don't want a young kid with upside; cause Pollack is not going to find it. 

This this this this this this this this. This is why I was high on Trent brown.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 08:53 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: This this this this this this this this.  This is why I was high on Trent brown.

Hell give me Duane Brown, maybe he can coach Pollack 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

I wonder about those contract value projections in light of this year's bump in space.  Then you figure in how hard it is to find quality long term tackles.  That may raise the stakes in the FA market and even with a strong draft class those guys may come off quicker. 

I'm also not opposes to monitoring the guard market, since a 2nd or 3rd wave could leave some descent value there.  
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 11:14 AM)phil413 Wrote: I wonder about those contract value projections in light of this year's bump in space.  Then you figure in how hard it is to find quality long term tackles.  That may raise the stakes in the FA market and even with a strong draft class those guys may come off quicker. 

I'm also not opposes to monitoring the guard market, since a 2nd or 3rd wave could leave some descent value there.  

I mean...Dalton Risner was just sitting out there after the season started (signed with MIN Sept 19), and I thought he was an immediate upgrade over Volson.
Risner's contract was only $3 mill.

If the staff wanted to upgrade IOL, they could have even after the season started.
I don't feel they will other than the backups since both their backup guards are hitting FA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

The thing about Onwenu is he's also started & played well at both guard spots. RG in college. LG to start in NE. Even if we took a RT at #18, he still makes sense. If the RT is plug & play (Fuaga, Latham), then he could start at LG for Volson. If the RT is developmental/raw (Guyton/Mims), he can start at RT and then move to LG, or even RG if we don't retain Cappa when he is up. And his flexibility would give us options if someone gets injured. 

Like a lot of our big fish targets (Jones, Madubuike, Wilkins, Johnson, Sneed, Winfield, etc), he probably gets tagged. 

FWIW, early reports of Sneed getting tagged are not correct. But that IS the plan in KC if a deal cannot be finalized. However, if a Jones deal is not done yet, then they have an issue..
Reply/Quote