Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which prophet was correct?
(09-20-2015, 05:40 PM)Beaker Wrote: Jesus?

Muhammed?

Buddha?

any of the others?

All religions insist their prophet was correct, and that you must follow their teachings or risk eternal damnation. What makes one right and the other wrong? Who shuld someone looking for eternal salvation believe? If you make the wrong choice....

How do you know?

I tend to think they are all right. Atheists too. I don't see any reason that they all can't be right. Maybe that was the plan: make people form a bunch of different religions, then see if they can either learn to get along or die fighting each other.

I'm Christian because I was brought up with it, because I choose to be and because it works for me. If I was brought up in Saudi Arabia, it is a pretty good bet I'd be Muslim. Or Hindu if I was born in India.

I don't see any reason why an all powerful being would expect me to go out like a third-rate used car salesman and recruit for Him. Besides, I don't really care what someone else chooses to believe as long as it isn't forced down my throat. That is the one sure way to ensure that someone will NEVER accept your religion IMO.

Anymore, I've become a Christian who likes to sit around with his atheist buddies and bad-mouth other Christians for the stupid-ass stuff they say.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-20-2015, 05:40 PM)Beaker Wrote: Jesus?

Muhammed?

Buddha?

any of the others?

All religions insist their prophet was correct, and that you must follow their teachings or risk eternal damnation. What makes one right and the other wrong? Who shuld someone looking for eternal salvation believe? If you make the wrong choice....

How do you know?

You don't, that's the point, as I'm sure your rhetorical question shows.

But I like to think of them as people you might know in real life. Jesus and Buddha seem pretty chill, Jesus would ride or die for you, buddha is too cool for school, but Muhammed seems like he wants to stir up the pot and cause trouble.
(09-29-2015, 12:38 AM)Benton Wrote: Hmm. You realize two of those three had tried to eradicate other religions and practitioners? Even at this point there's the nature of intolerance with all major religions.

People abusing religion has been around as long as there's been people.

Umm..had tried. Your point is irrelevant. It is 2015. The other 3 have moved on from the dark ages. Islam is still living it.
(09-29-2015, 12:55 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: Umm..had tried. Your point is irrelevant. It is 2015. The other 3 have moved on from the dark ages. Islam is still living it.

The point is relevant in understanding why it's relevant to them.

Do you think Native Americans trust the federal government? It was a long time ago their lands were taken. We've moved on during the last 200 years, they should have, too, eh? Same with Aboriginal Australians? How about those here in the last half century that have had their lands taken by imminent domain? Just move on. 

And WTF with the Middle Ages. I don't get the connection, other than deflection. Or maybe you haven't gotten a driver's license yet and are too young to remember tens of thousands of Muslims killed during the time of the Srebrenica Massacre. 

There's no had tried. Even today people use religion to rally support against others of a different religion. You're doing it now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-29-2015, 01:11 AM)Benton Wrote: The point is relevant in understanding why it's relevant to them.

Do you think Native Americans trust the federal government? It was a long time ago their lands were taken. We've moved on during the last 200 years, they should have, too, eh? Same with Aboriginal Australians? How about those here in the last half century that have had their lands taken by imminent domain? Just move on. 

And WTF with the Middle Ages. I don't get the connection, other than deflection. Or maybe you haven't gotten a driver's license yet and are too young to remember tens of thousands of Muslims killed during the time of the Srebrenica Massacre. 

There's no had tried. Even today people use religion to rally support against others of a different religion. You're doing it now.

Are you for real?

This topic is not a history course. To recap for you:

This, in the Year of Our Lord 2015, Beaker indicated we could learn something from all religions.

I responded true, except that it is hard to take a religion seriously when today, in the year 2015,  a certain religious doctrine still  teaches that all other religions are to be eradicated....today, now, 2015, the CURRENT EVENTS that shape our world.

...and you want to give a lesson about the Crusades.

When are you guys ever gonna stop with the muslim apologist bullshit?
(09-29-2015, 01:32 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: When are you guys ever gonna stop with the muslim apologist bullshit?

When there are no more Christian or other radical extremists.
(09-29-2015, 01:32 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: Are you for real?

This topic is not a history course. To recap for you:

This, in the Year of Our Lord 2015, Beaker indicated we could learn something from all religions.

I responded true, except that it is hard to take a religion seriously when today, in the year 2015,  a certain religious doctrine still  teaches that all other religions are to be eradicated....today, now, 2015, the CURRENT EVENTS that shape our world.

...and you want to give a lesson about the Crusades.

When are you guys ever gonna stop with the muslim apologist bullshit?

LOL

The Crusades. Try the 90s there bud. When are you gonna start with educated posts?
(09-29-2015, 01:36 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: When there are no more Christian or other radical extremists.

Come on now, comparing christian etremists to radical islam is like comparing binaca to mace.
(09-29-2015, 01:48 AM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: Come on now, comparing christian etremists to radical islam is like comparing binaca to mace.

Because both sting if you spray them in the eye?
(09-29-2015, 01:38 AM)Benton Wrote: LOL

The Crusades. Try the 90s there bud. When are you gonna start with educated posts?

To be fair, didn't Islam start the whole thing when they invaded Europe?
(09-29-2015, 01:49 AM)Benton Wrote: Because both sting if you spray them in the eye?

Tell you what, buy one of each, hold the mace in your right hand, hold the breath spray in your left, spray into the corresponding eyeball. Tell me which one is worse.
(09-29-2015, 01:32 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: Are you for real?

The irony.
(09-29-2015, 12:12 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: Mathematically challenged are we?

Christianity + Judaism + Buddhism = 3 

There are more religions than those.
(09-28-2015, 11:30 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, I am saying that as someone that identifies as Christian.

Oh, I know. But I think you would agree most Christians would not see the parallel/would not make the connection, particularly since you said "for Judaism" and not "for Christianity."
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-29-2015, 01:49 AM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: To be fair, didn't Islam start the whole thing when they invaded Europe?

In reference to what I'm referring to? You were talking about it not being the Crusades, something centuries old. I was referring to more recent conflicts such as Bosnia in the 90s. If you want to go back to the Crusades, go for it. But pick a century.
(09-29-2015, 01:49 AM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: To be fair, didn't Islam start the whole thing when they invaded Europe?

Actually, they sort of did Western Europe an off-hand favor by invading. The threat of an outside force finally made it possible for someone to unify various tribes in post-Roman Europe and to create a centralized government in France, the pre-cursor to the modern nation-state.

A similar thing could be said of the Crusades impact on the Muslim world at the time. Unfortunately for the Muslims, the Christians weren't the biggest threat to them. The Mongols, who rode in right after them, were.