Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White House bans CNN reporter from press conference
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/07/25/cnn-reporter-kaitlan-collins-banned-white-house-press-conference/838576002/

Quote:CNN says one of its reporters was banned from a White House event Wednesday after attempting to ask President Donald Trump a series of questions that were deemed "inappropriate." 

White House reporter Kaitlan Collins said she was pulled aside Wednesday afternoon after shouting questions to Trump during an Oval Office meeting with Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission, and told she would be barred from a news conference. 
Collins said she was asked to the office of Bill Shine, the former Fox News co-head and new deputy chief of staff of communications. There she met with Shine and Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, where she was told she wouldn't be allowed for a news conference between Trump and Juncker.

"They said 'You are dis-invited from the press availability in the Rose Garden today,'" Collins told CNN. "They said that the questions I asked were inappropriate for that venue. And they said I was shouting."

View image on Twitter
[Image: Di-2OFhXgAAnfNm?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:[Image: mGv7TbD6_normal.jpg]
[/url]CNN Communications

@CNNPR

Statement regarding CNN press access at today’s White House event. We demand better.
5:57 PM - Jul 25, 2018

Twitter Ads info and privacy

The pair told Collins that they were not "banning your network" but simply not allowing her inside the event. 

Collins told CNN she shot back at the pair, saying they were banning her just because "you didn't like the questions I asked." 

Sanders said Collins was told "she was not welcome" at the event because she "shouted questions and refused to leave despite repeatedly being asked to do so." 

Sanders said Collins had told the White House she did not plan to attend the event anyway. 

"To be clear, we support a free press and ask that everyone be respectful of the presidency and guests at the White House," Sanders said. 

It's far from the first time the White House, or the president, has taken aim at reporters covering the Trump administration. CNN has been one of its biggest targets. 

Earlier this month, President Trump refused to take questions from CNN reporter Jim Acosta at a press conference with British Prime Minister Theresa May, instead telling him "CNN is fake news. I don’t take questions from CNN." 

After the interaction, Sanders posted on Twitter that the reporter "disrespected" Trump and May. 

Quote:[Image: CbCbznYp_normal.jpg]
Sarah Sanders

@PressSec

Actually a @CNN reporter disrespected @POTUS & PM May during their press conf. Instead of rewarding bad behavior, we decided to reprioritize the TV appearances for administration officials.
Jake Tapper

@jaketapper

Update: @AmbJohnBolton had been locked in for tomorrow’s @CNNSOTU. Then the president attacked CNN during his UK presser, and our WH correspondent tried to ask a question. We are told Amb. Bolton remains fully prepared to do the interview but the White House has canceled it.

5:30 PM - Jul 14, 2018

• [url=https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1018246498658775042]51.2K people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Last year, then White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer also famously banned several news organizations, including CNN, from a briefing.
Collins' ban also happened the day after CNN exclusively aired a secret recording between Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen

The White House Correspondents' Association issued a statement about the incident, calling it an act of inappropriate "retaliation." 

"We strongly condemn the White House’s misguided and inappropriate decision today to bar one of our members from an open press event after she asked questions they did not like," the statement said. "This type of retaliation is wholly inappropriate, wrong-headed, and weak. It cannot stand."

The statement said it is the job of reporters to ask tough questions of those in power and journalists must be able to work "without fear of reprisal from the government."

CNN said in a statement that Collins' questions were not inappropriate and they "demand better." 

"Just because the White House is uncomfortable with a question regarding the news of [the] day doesn't mean the question isn't relevant and shouldn't be asked," the statement said. "This decision to bar a member of the press is retaliatory in nature and not indicative of an open and free press. We demand better." 

Washington reporters and other news networks were quick to stand up for Collins. Jay Wallace, the president of Fox News, which is the president's favorite TV network, also issued a statement blasting the event: "We stand in strong solidarity with CNN for the right to full access for our journalists as part of a free and unfettered press."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Quote:

Attacking the news media is a time-honored White House tactic but to an unusual degree, the Obama administration has narrowed its sights to one specific organization, the Fox News Channel, calling it, in essence, part of the political opposition.

[b]We’re going to treat them the way we would treat an opponent[/b],” said Anita Dunn, the White House communications director, in a telephone interview on Sunday. “As [b]they are undertaking a war against Barack Obama and the White House, we don’t need to pretend that this is the way that legitimate news organizations behave[/b].”

In 2009, the White House's position on Fox News was that it was "an opponent," at "war(!)" with the White House. And that they were not, in fact, a legitimate news organization.
They were to be treated as fake news. It was White House policy.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/01/11/obamas-white-house-2009-dont-pretend-fox-news-is-a-legitimate-news-organization/
They banned her from something she wasn't going to. That'll show her.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I think the timing of the questions matter. So... he was with the EU guy. Maybe that was the story.

I remember this one from CNN also.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/04/02/cnn-star-jim-acosta-slammed-for-harsh-inflammatory-questions-to-trump-in-front-children.html

So... yes, I think the press claiming their 1st amendment rights can still look ridiculous.
(07-26-2018, 01:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2009, the White House's position on Fox News was that it was "an opponent," at "war(!)" with the White House. And that they were not, in fact, a legitimate news organization.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/01/11/obamas-white-house-2009-dont-pretend-fox-news-is-a-legitimate-news-organization/

Did they ban the reporters?

Did Obama never go on FOX for an interview?

Did they say, repeatedly, that every news organization that wrote anything negative about them was "fake news"?

Heck, the words "fake news" were not used in your link except by the guy writing the piece. 
(07-26-2018, 01:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2009, the White House's position on Fox News was that it was "an opponent," at "war(!)" with the White House. And that they were not, in fact, a legitimate news organization.

I'm ... confused. Is fred ... is fred defending Donald Trump?

Someone hold me. I'm scared. 

Rep, fred.
She was the acting "pool reporter" at the European Commission event, meaning she was representing all of the TV networks and was asking questions agreed upon by her (CNN), Fox, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc.

She did exactly what every reporter does, she shouted out questions and hoped that he would answer.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

It seems here questions were deemed inappropriate for the situation. he was walking with the President of the EU and she was shouting questions that did not pertain the relationships between the US and EU. Seems the WH just said; this is not the venue to answer those questions.

I suppose we would need to know if she had asked question at a press conference that were no germane to that press conference in the past and/or became disruptive.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-26-2018, 04:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It seems here questions were deemed inappropriate for the situation. he was walking with the President of the EU and she was shouting questions that did not pertain the relationships between the US and EU. Seems the WH just said; this is not the venue to answer those questions.

Why are you against a free and open press?  Sarcasm
(07-26-2018, 04:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why are you against a free and open press?  Sarcasm

Fair question.

Is there a rule that you can only ask question about the event?

Or does this kind of thing happen all the time and the current thin skinned POTUS hates CNN?
(07-26-2018, 04:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: Fair question.

Is there a rule that you can only ask question about the event?

Or does this kind of thing happen all the time and the current thin skinned POTUS hates CNN?

Is it denying a free and open press if the White House bans a single reporter from a press conference that many other reporters will be at?

Side note: does it bug you that Trump is acting Obama-like when it comes to his treatmen tof a particular cable news channel?  Smirk
(07-26-2018, 04:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Is it denying a free and open press if the White House bans a single reporter from a press conference that many other reporters will be at?

Side note: does it bug you that Trump is acting Obama-like when it comes to his treatmen tof a particular cable news channel?  Smirk

1) Could be.  If the trend continues to only allow "friendly" media.

2) No one answered my questions above:  Did he refuse to take a question from anyone but friendly media? Did he appear on FOX to be interviewed? did he repeatedly (weekly) call every source of media that disagreed with him "fake news" and "an enemy of the people"?

So I don't see the correlation except to try and bring Obama into what the Trump admin is currently doing.
(07-26-2018, 05:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: 1) Could be.  If the trend continues to only allow "friendly" media.

2) No one answered my questions above:  Did he refuse to take a question from anyone but friendly media? Did he appear on FOX to be interviewed? did he repeatedly (weekly) call every source of media that disagreed with him "fake news" and "an enemy of the people"?

So I don't see the correlation except to try and bring Obama into what the Trump admin is currently doing.

1) So only Fox News is present at all press conferences held by the president or the White House?

2) Don't know. Don't know. Didn't use the words 'fake news' but fred just showed you that he called them the enemy and that they weren't a "legitimate news organization".

The correlation is that Obama treated Fox News the way Trump is treating CNN. You didn't have a problem with that then, but now you do. Don't worry about it, though, when it comes to Trump, we know your opinion isn't worht the paper it's printed on due to your hatred and bias.
(07-26-2018, 05:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 1) So only Fox News is present at all press conferences held by the president or the White House?

Mellow

(07-26-2018, 05:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: 1) Could be.  If the trend continues to only allow "friendly" media.

ThumbsUp

Perhaps for clarity sake: If the trend continues and they eventually only allow "friendly" media.

(07-26-2018, 05:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 2) Don't know. Don't know. Didn't use the words 'fake news' but fred just showed you that he called them the enemy and that they weren't a "legitimate news organization".

The correlation is that Obama treated Fox News the way Trump is treating CNN. You didn't have a problem with that then, but now you do. Don't worry about it, though, when it comes to Trump, we know your opinion isn't worht the paper it's printed on due to your hatred and bias.

So you don't know if Obama did what Trump does but they are the same I shouldn't have a problem with it because I didn't have a problem (that you "know") with Obama doing what Trump is doing. If he did it.

Do you still feel bad every time you have to defend Trump? Smirk
(07-26-2018, 05:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

ThumbsUp

Perhaps for clarity sake:  If the trend continues and they eventually only allow "friendly" media.

There's a different message between saying "if the trend continues TO" and "if the trend continues AND". 

And what trend are we talking about?

(07-26-2018, 05:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: So you don't know if Obama did what Trump does but they are the same I shouldn't have a problem with it because I didn't have a problem (that you "know") with Obama doing what Trump is doing.  If he did it.

I don't know if Obama did ALL the things to Fox that you are accussing Trump of doing. I do know that Obama basically called Fox News "fake news" and that he called them the enemy. You have a problem with Trump doing that. But not Obama.

(07-26-2018, 05:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Do you still feel bad every time you have to defend Trump?   Smirk

Yes.
(07-26-2018, 05:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: There's a different message between saying "if the trend continues TO" and "if the trend continues AND". 

And what trend are we talking about?

Mellow

(07-26-2018, 05:22 PM)GMDino Wrote:  If the trend continues and they eventually only allow "friendly" media.

You know, the trend in the OP of not allowing a news organization that he thinks is fake/doesn't like to not attend conferences.

Do keep up.

[quote='PhilHos' pid='569968' dateline='1532637586']I don't know if Obama did ALL the things to Fox that you are accussing Trump of doing. I do know that Obama basically called Fox News "fake news" and that he called them the enemy. You have a problem with Trump doing that. But not Obama.

"don't know"..."basically"...just the same as Trump.

Maybe just stop defending Trump at every turn (and assuming he and Obama are equal in this case) and you'll feel better.
Not to "defend Trump" but did he ban the reporter from the News Conference?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-26-2018, 04:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Is it denying a free and open press if the White House bans a single reporter from a press conference that many other reporters will be at?

only one member of the press has to be targeted for the freedom of the press to be strained. Likewise, targeting one religion but leaving all others would still be a violation of freedom of religion. Arresting one peaceful and lawful protestor but leaving 20 others is still a violation of freedom of speech.

The real question you should be asking is “is the president required to let all members of the press in?” If hes not legally required then it’s not a violation.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: DLetSkZ.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
So, in general, the rest of the press has sided against the Trump admin for this move.

Except Lou Dobbs.

I wanted to fact check that from 2012:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/lou-dobbs-is-a-modern-day-jekyll-and-hyde

Quote:When Barack Obama was president, Fox Business’ Lou Dobbs was very pro-news media. But now that Donald Trump is president, Dobbs is basically the exact opposite.

It’s like night and day with the cable news host. It’s funny how party affiliation can affect what a person believes about press freedoms.

In 2012, then-Daily Caller reporter Neil Munro interrupted Obama during an address in the Rose Garden, shouting various questions about immigration reform.

Obama scolded Munro on the spot, saying, “The answer to your question sir — the next time I prefer you let me finish my statements before you ask that question — is that this is the right thing to do for the American people.”

Dobbs responded to the incident by siding with Munro.

“Well, the fact is after he made his statement, the president took no questions,” Dobbs said later in an interview with the Willis Report. “I don’t know if you had the opportunity to go on Twitter and listen to the clucking of all of the people going, ‘It’s against the decorum of the White House and it’s rude to the president.’”

He added, “What’s rude is the president not speaking to the American people and taking the questions of the White House press.”

Fast-forward a few years, and Dobbs is singing an entirely different tune. Trump officials barred CNN’s Kaitlan Collins from a Rose Garden press conference this week after she behaved in a manner that the White House characterized as disrespectful and disruptive. The White House was specifically annoyed that she shouted questions repeatedly during a press pool.

Many at Fox News condemned the White House’s decision.

“We stand in strong solidarity with CNN for the right to full access for our journalists as part of a free and unfettered press,” Fox News president Jay Wallace said in a statement.

Fox News’ Bret Baier said on-air, “As a member of the White House press pool, Fox stands firmly with CNN on this issue of access.”

Dobbs, on the other hand, cheered the move.

“I guess my question would be, ‘Who the hell are you?’ The president does insist on respect,” Dobbs said Wednesday.

He added, “That's what the White House has to put up with? Are you kidding me? Anyway, all I have to say about that is it's about time there were consequences for disrespectful behavior in the White House.”

One yelling questions, one interrupting the prepared statement. One pulled aside and banned, one spoken directly to and the question answered anyway.

Yep, Obama was just horrible with the press just like Trump.   Mellow