Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Who’s the guy you want in the first.
(03-18-2023, 03:17 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Who do you want more than anyone in the first. Must be realistic. I was high on the TE Mayer but after doing some more digging I really like the other TE Kincaid. I think this kid will be a intermediate to down field threat. Reminds me of Ben Utecht or Dallas Clark. Really like Kraft too but not in the first. Kincaid can help ease the blow also if we do lose Higgins. Who do you want.
I'll say RINGO, the sophomore DB from Georgia. Bengals like Georgia players. Ringo is young, so some rough edges for Lou to coach up, but Ringo is Heavy Weight Boxer size at 6'2" and 210 lbs. Lou could start him at Nickle since Bengals play Nickle 80 % of the time. He could develop into a top Safety or a Top CB. Bengals need DB help now with so many DB's leaving free agent. Bengals wouldn't even have to pay that much for him the first few years as such a late pick. I liked Bates because he was big and young, well so is Ringo and with a ton of talent. Ringo might even be better than Bates very fast. We have Lou and his D Staff to coach him up. The Georgia kid has talent, and the size of boxer Ali. Should be on the board when Bengals pick at 29. Give Lou a good young DB to coach up. RINGO. The Bengals play a lot of 2 linebacker sets, so a young DB the size of a heavyweight boxer might give those 2 linebackers a little help at DB. The kid must be fast, because Georgia used him as a CB. Young, Big, Fast and Athletic, the type players Paul Brown liked.

CBS has him listed as 29th player prospect and we draft 29. Ringo could be Best Available Athlete at pick 29 and one of the top DB's in the draft, which we could use now. Plus OK, I like the name, Now playing for Bengals, RINGO.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 05:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: For 1 day, I really liked the idea of Calijah Kancey in the first if he fell simply because we are missing that inside pass rush that helped us so much in 2021 (via Ogunjobi/Hill platoon).

But then Jonah had to go and request a trade, making RT an immediate need again, so I'm back to Darnell Wright, Dawand Jones or Anton Harrison.

Jonah has no leverage at all.  He's not going to miss out on $12.5 mil plus numerous fines for no showing.  If Jonah is traded, it might be a need depending on how sold you are on Carman, but I highly doubt they signed two more FA OL this year just to turn around and spend a 1st on one.

For me, I'd want Bijan Robinson or Kelce Ringo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 01:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: Jonah has no leverage at all.  He's not going to miss out on $12.5 mil plus numerous fines for no showing.  If Jonah is traded, it might be a need depending on how sold you are on Carman, but I highly doubt they signed two more FA OL this year just to turn around and spend a 1st on one.

For me, I'd want Bijan Robinson or Kelce Ringo.

If we don't draft a RT and Jonah sits or forces his way out, our options at RT to start the season would be Ford, Carman and a rookie. 

I want the oline to be fixed, not patched. I'm tired of going into the next season with the exact same question mark of "is the oline good enough?"

I'd rather draft a tackle and have him be a healthy bench all year (because Ford or Carman worked out) than draft someone like Robinson or Mayer and then have a rotating disaster at RT all season (and probably lose in the AFCCG or super bowl because of a <2 second sack for the third season in a row).
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 10:34 PM)pulses Wrote: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Warren-McClendon-OL-Georgia

Draftbuzz contradicts themselves on the same player profile about 50% of the time.  They are far from perfect, but I like what they do provide.

McClendon is only a junior, started at RT his soph and junior seasons.  He is a technician, some say one of the best to come through GA when it comes to technique, known most notably for stonewalling dogs like Hutchinson and Will Anderson.  

He was hurt at the very end of the season, has not tested and struggles a bit to maintain weight.  He is bit off the radar now for the pundits.  I doubt he is off NFL boards, very very doubtful he falls to 5th or 6th rounds.  I would not be surprised to see him gone by our 3rd round pick.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 03:33 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If we don't draft a RT and Jonah sits or forces his way out, our options at RT to start the season would be Ford, Carman and a rookie. 

I want the oline to be fixed, not patched. I'm tired of going into the next season with the exact same question mark of "is the oline good enough?"

I'd rather draft a tackle and have him be a healthy bench all year (because Ford or Carman worked out) than draft someone like Robinson or Mayer and then have a rotating disaster at RT all season (and probably lose in the AFCCG or super bowl because of a <2 second sack for the third season in a row).

Again, Jonah has no leverage.  He can't sit for the year, as we would retain his rights.  He is under contract, so he is subject to fines for missing mandatory OTA's and he has been a good/not great player playing for a starter level contract next year.  Players request trades and report every year.  

That's well and good, but you can't fixate on one position group and neglect all of the others.  

Even in a Defcon 5 scenario where Jonah somehow sits out and Carman and/or Ford don't work out, Collins will be back off of the PUP before playoff time.  If he was being cut, he would have been by now.  Much of his cap savings would have come from his roster bonus, which usually comes in the first few days of the league year.  You easily be spending a 1st on a 3rd string T that won't even dress on game days come the end of the year.  We have needs at TE, RB, CB, and S.  If Jonah gets traded and we have extra picks to fill some of those other gaps, then maybe you can look at a T in 1 if they're the BPA.  Until that time, it's not a realistic option.  
Reply/Quote
Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA
Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 07:06 PM)Whatever Wrote: Again, Jonah has no leverage.  He can't sit for the year, as we would retain his rights.  He is under contract, so he is subject to fines for missing mandatory OTA's and he has been a good/not great player playing for a starter level contract next year.  Players request trades and report every year.  

That's well and good, but you can't fixate on one position group and neglect all of the others.  

Even in a Defcon 5 scenario where Jonah somehow sits out and Carman and/or Ford don't work out, Collins will be back off of the PUP before playoff time.  If he was being cut, he would have been by now.  Much of his cap savings would have come from his roster bonus, which usually comes in the first few days of the league year.  You easily be spending a 1st on a 3rd string T that won't even dress on game days come the end of the year.  We have needs at TE, RB, CB, and S.  If Jonah gets traded and we have extra picks to fill some of those other gaps, then maybe you can look at a T in 1 if they're the BPA.  Until that time, it's not a realistic option.  

My second choice would be at CB.

CB is in a similar position as OT is for us right now (assuming Jonah plays RT). We'd be drafting for the future because CTB and Awuzie are the clear starters next season with Hilton in the slot, so the draft pick would only come in for injuries or in super sub packages.

Safety as well. Our starters are set and we have an uber athletic back up that could develop behind the two starters so any safety drafted would only come in due to injuries or super sub packages. The difference with the safety position is our 2 starters are signed on for 3 more seasons (as opposed to Awuzie and Jonah who are in their final years), so I wouldn't even call safety a need at this point.

TE and RB are needs but they're also non- premium positions so spending premium picks on them is a hard sell when you have needs at premium positions like OT and CB. Rookie TEs rarely make a large impact and their breakout years are as late as their 3rd or 4th season in the NFL and RBs, well, the degree to which running back has been devalued as a position has been discussed at length. Unless it's Bijan, I wouldn't spend a first on a RB.

That's why I keep coming back to OT. You call it a fixation, but I see it as ensuring depth. Even at CB, Apple played well enough to win the Super Bowl coming in as a back up to Awuzie. We don't have that kind of depth at OT. Collins is coming off of injury and honestly was pretty horrible when he was in the game anyway. Jonah is on his final year and is obviously not going to re-sign with us. And everyone else is either a huge question mark (is Carman actually any good or did he just have a good 2 game stretch?) Or is outright bad (Adeniji, Ford). Considering Oline is the explicit reason we are not back to back Super Bowl champions right now, I think a little fixation may be warranted.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 10:14 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: My second choice would be at CB.

CB is in a similar position as OT is for us right now (assuming Jonah plays RT). We'd be drafting for the future because CTB and Awuzie are the clear starters next season with Hilton in the slot, so the draft pick would only come in for injuries or in super sub packages.

Safety as well. Our starters are set and we have an uber athletic back up that could develop behind the two starters so any safety drafted would only come in due to injuries or super sub packages. The difference with the safety position is our 2 starters are signed on for 3 more seasons (as opposed to Awuzie and Jonah who are in their final years), so I wouldn't even call safety a need at this point.

TE and RB are needs but they're also non- premium positions so spending premium picks on them is a hard sell when you have needs at premium positions like OT and CB. Rookie TEs rarely make a large impact and their breakout years are as late as their 3rd or 4th season in the NFL and RBs, well, the degree to which running back has been devalued as a position has been discussed at length. Unless it's Bijan, I wouldn't spend a first on a RB.

That's why I keep coming back to OT. You call it a fixation, but I see it as ensuring depth. Even at CB, Apple played well enough to win the Super Bowl coming in as a back up to Awuzie. We don't have that kind of depth at OT. Collins is coming off of injury and honestly was pretty horrible when he was in the game anyway. Jonah is on his final year and is obviously not going to re-sign with us. And everyone else is either a huge question mark (is Carman actually any good or did he just have a good 2 game stretch?) Or is outright bad (Adeniji, Ford). Considering Oline is the explicit reason we are not back to back Super Bowl champions right now, I think a little fixation may be warranted.

If we're talking need, CB(specifically outside CB), is a bigger need than T.  Awuzie is in a contract year, meaning you need a starter sooner, and there's really no young talent in development behind the starters except PS guys.  At T, we just signed OBJ for 4 years and have Collins and Carman for 2.  It's not uncommon for DB's to come out for a blow or because they got a little dinged here and there.  OL don't come out unless they're injured.

I am not comfortable declaring Nick Scott a starter.  Dude allowed 118.5 passer rating when targeted last year.  To me, he's a guy you sign to keep from handing a draft pick a starting job uncontested.  Anderson, frankly, did not look good last preseason.  He has physical tools and is probably worth keeping for ST's, but he has a long way to go.  I don't think there's a S worth our first, but if we reached for one, he likely starts.

I am not a huge fan of taking a TE in the first, as there is a steep learning curve at the position and guys don't start blowing up until year 2.  That said, Asiasi is currently our #1 TE.  It's way more needed than T.  Perine played 41% of the offensive snaps last year.  You need a 3 tool RB to replace him, which you likely aren't going to find Day 3.  

You don't spend a 1st on Plan D.  Second, Taylor favors a light TC, which is going to hamper our ability to draft and develop trench players like T's.  Unlike other positions, OL don't rotate to give bench players valuable live reps to learn and develop.  We will never know if Carman is actually as good as he showed last year if he doesn't get a shot to play.  

OL certainly deserves blame for coming up short the last two years, but it at least has injuries as an excuse.  Kupp clubbed Eli Apple like a baby seal on the GW TD drive in the SB, but Apple played good enough to win?  The only reason we didn't go to OT with KC is they got a huge punt return, yet I haven't seen any real push to address our returners or coverage teams. At this rate, the OL may be good enough, but the RB's, TE's, and S's won't be.
Reply/Quote
The more film I have watched the more I want Darnell Wright from Tennessee. I really feel like this is the RT they have been searching for since Willie Anderson left. If you watch the Bama and Georgia games you just see a really good RT that does not let him man touch the QB and who is a rather dominant run blocker. There are lapses in technique but his strength saves him when this happen. I believe he is damn near the perfect selection for the Bengals at 28 given the roster we are looking at right now.

We need to look at TE but there are a bunch of them that can be had outside of Round 1 that are going to be good players. We need CB depth but just with TE there are some really good corners to be had outside of the first round.
Reply/Quote
Gimme Kancey at 28 and LaPorta in the 2nd.

If Kancey isn't there, and Bijan is gone, I'd lean Darnell Wright. But only RT I'd take at 28 is Wright.
Reply/Quote
You are drafting a starter at TE and backups/projects at RT, CB, or DE.

I like Kancey but not sure he is an every down guy at DT in the run heave AFC North.

I think the chances of Wright being there are slimmer by the day. Harrison isn't strong enough to start this year & D. Jones is not better than Jonah. Nor Carman necessarily. But we have 7 friggin tackles signed now. We are only gonna carry 4. I doubtcwe draft one unless it is one of the top 4 guys who can play right now (Skoronski, Johnson, B. Jones, Wright). They are likely gone by #28.
Reply/Quote
If not Ringo, there are other interesting DB's that look to be on the board also at pick 29. We lost Bates and how long are we going to be able to keep Coach Lou. Bringing in a young DB now for Lou and his D staff to coach up is a good way to replace the also young but over priced Bates.

Bengals lost a lot of DB's in off season, and they won't replace them all in free agency. Bengals draft so late, almost like a top of round 2 pick. CB or Safety here makes sense. Bengals play 2 LBs and 5 DBs about 80 % of the time per Coach Taylor, so we better have a ton of DB's. The best thing about Bates was he was young, but Bengals can get a young DB with this almost top of round 2 pick for Lou to coach up.

As for TE, Bengals have a couple free agents from other teams they are trying to sign one to replace Hurst. I look for Bengals to resign Wilcox who made nice plays in 2022. Sample could be resigned also. If they sign a free agent TE, I think they are loaded up at TE. I also don't see O Line as a top pick anymore. Bengals DB section took a beating in off season, and a top pick DB is needed, because in todays pass happy NFL, you better have DB's. I like Ringo because he is young and at 6'2" and 210 lbs is Boxer Ali size, so should be able to help the 2 LBs. We need DB's who can help the 2 LBs if we are only going to play 2 LBs. If not Ringo, some other young and close to LB size DB worthy of a top pick to replace Bates in the future. It's nice to have a David Fulcher size DB if you are in pass coverage and they pull a run on you, you have that big DB to get after a guy like Chubb. There look to be good sized young CB's and Safeties on the board around pick 29, for Lou to coach up while we still have Lou.

DB's seem to get injured a lot also. so you have to have bench depth that can go in and play for weeks against the best QBs and pass catchers in the NFL and come up and tackle the top runners, and that takes top athletes. Bengals have had a Super Bowl Defense, but they must now replace DB's lost in free agency to stay a Super Bowl Defense.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Kiper's post FA mock had us taking Washington with Kancey, Murphy, & Bresee & D. Jones, & Smith still on the board. Wright, Robinson, Mayer, Kincaid, Van Ness, and Adebewore all off, along with the top 4 receivers & Forbes & Banks.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35898637/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-post-free-agency-first-round-predictions-31-picks-third-version

Daniel Jerimiah at NFL.com has us taking Wright. Mayer on the board along with Forbes, Cam Smith & D. Jones.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2023-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-bucs-colts-panthers-texans-vikings-pick-
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 03:28 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Speaking of TE’s whatever happen to Jake Butt? Out if Michigan I believe. Was injured when drafted.

Kept getting injured unfortunately. Retired in 2021 and works for the Big 10 network now.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Of the players who I think have a realistic chance of being there, I want one of the following in the 1st:
Darnell Wright
Dawand Jones
Darnell Washington
Michael Mayer
Jahmyr Gibbs

Although It’s looking less and less likely that Wright is still on the board when we pick. Of course I would also be happy with Robinson or one of the other 3 tackles but I just don’t think they have a real shot of falling to us. I’d also prefer the pick be spent on Offense after such a heavy Defensive draft last year
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 04:09 AM)Esc33 Wrote: Gimme Kancey at 28 and LaPorta in the 2nd.

If Kancey isn't there, and Bijan is gone, I'd lean Darnell Wright. But only RT I'd take at 28 is Wright.

No way would I take a RB over a 10 year starting caliber RT. I think you have better value selecting Tyjae Spears in the second or third and frankly like his break away ability better than that of Robinson. Robinson is a runner that thrives on getting 20+ carries a game. That is great if you do not have Joey B and the receiver group that is in Cincinnati. They are a pass first team and need back that can compliment that offense not be the focal point.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 12:38 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Of the players who I think have a realistic chance of being there, I want one of the following in the 1st:
Darnell Wright
Dawand Jones
Darnell Washington
Michael Mayer
Jahmyr Gibbs

Although It’s looking less and less likely that Wright is still on the board when we pick. Of course I would also be happy with Robinson or one of the other 3 tackles but I just don’t think they have a real shot of falling to us. I’d also prefer the pick be spent on Offense after such a heavy Defensive draft last year

Nice post once again WhoDeyK. Cannot disagree with any of your picks there either. Wright will be my hope, but unlikely.

(03-22-2023, 03:01 PM)OSUfan Wrote: No way would I take a RB over a 10 year starting caliber RT. I think you have better value selecting Tyjae Spears in the second or third and frankly like his break away ability better than that of Robinson. Robinson is a runner that thrives on getting 20+ carries a game. That is great if you do not have Joey B and the receiver group that is in Cincinnati. They are a pass first team and need back that can compliment that offense not be the focal point.

Saw that Spears looked great at the Senior Bowl in blitz pickup and effort. All for Tyjae now in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
Looking at numerous mock drafts I’m convinced they swap picks with Detroit @18 and throw in Jonah. It looks like both Darnell Wright (Tenn OT) could go @ 19 to the Bucs and Michael Mayer (ND TE) to LAC at 21. They can decide between them.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 11:24 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Looking at numerous mock drafts I’m convinced they swap picks with Detroit @18 and throw in Jonah. It looks like both Darnell Wright (Tenn OT) could go @ 19 to the Bucs and Michael Mayer (ND TE) to LAC at 21. They can decide between them.

I was thinking about the trade up with Jonah too. So the other team wouldn't have a net loss of picks. Slide back and get a 25 year old former 11th overall pick who has started for 4 years at the premier OL position.

But I wanted even more than you. I was going to say maybe we could get the Bears to take 28th overall and Jonah and give us 9th overall. They had a terrible OL last year. And have added only one guy in free agency it looks like a G Nate Davis. They already traded back and turned that #1 overall pick into a starting WR and 9th overall and pick #61 plus a 2024 1st and 2025 2nd. They could keep going back and get a starting LT out of it and then take Wright, Dawand, Torrence, or another OL that falls to 28. Essentially turning #1 into a former first round WR and LT in their primes and a rookie first round starter on the OL.

And if we could get up that high hopefully we trade back and get more picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 11:24 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Looking at numerous mock drafts I’m convinced they swap picks with Detroit @18 and throw in Jonah. It looks like both Darnell Wright (Tenn OT) could go @ 19 to the Bucs and Michael Mayer (ND TE) to LAC at 21. They can decide between them.

What would they do with him?  They have Sewell and Decker.
Reply/Quote