Poll: Who wins a playoff game first from the 2018 season on Bengals or Browns?
Bengals
Browns
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wins A Playoff Game First?
The only way the Cleveland Browns will go to the playoffs is if they buy tickets. The Bengals will return to the postseason in 2018 and win at least one game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 06:10 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Aww yeah the double edge sword of using past transgressions in a way that doesn’t fit a narrative. Because the bengals haven’t won a playoff game in almost 3 decades, doesn’t mean they can’t or won’t. But using that arguememt against them but with a different team....

Part of me says that the past doesn't dictate the future.  The last time the Bengals won a playoff game the NE Patriots were the worst team in the NFL, so hey, the past is the past.

Then again, the Bengals can't really leave the past in the past because since the early 90s when the ship sank we've had the same owner/GM and we've had the same HC for 15 years, ergo the past does matter because our past is Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.

Our present is Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.

Our future is Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.

So...saying the Browns have won a playoff game more recently than us is somewhat true, but that franchise that won that playoff game in 1994 went to Baltimore and won 15 playoff games and 2 SBs.  We are currently competing with an expansion team in everything but name and helmet color.  Whoop de doodle.

And again I point out that if you would have made a poll in the past 5 years asking who goes to the AFC championship game first:  the "holy crap, we are so awesome in the regular season" Bengals or the "haven't had a winning season in a decade" Jaguars who do you think would have won that poll?  
Reply/Quote
I voted for the Bengals simply because the Browns' management has proven to become worse than Mike Brown. They didn't use to be worse than Mikey boy, but they have been for several years now.

But at least they see improvement and changes are needed, something I do not believe Mikey boy can see at all.

My opinion on this could change 180 degrees after free agency and the draft.

Reply/Quote
I just remember when the Brownies got Richardson and how they were going to be on the uptick.

Just not convinced they have a clue...  and also have as bad if not worse luck than the Bengals.

Which is worse?

A team who tries everything to succeed and fails miserably no matter what?

or

A team who thinks they know what they're doing but flounder in mediocrity?

I would think a mediocre ran team might have a greater chance to luck out, as opposed to a team that flips the switch in all nuances.

My vote is Bengals.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 07:49 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I just remember when the Brownies got Richardson and how the were going to be on the uptick.

Just not convinced they have a clue...  and also have as bad if not worse luck than the Bengals.

Which is worse?

or

I would think a mediocre ran team might have a greater chance to luck out, as opposed to a team that flips the switch in all nuances.

My vote is Bengals.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Well said, hard for me to believe the Browns are ever on the uptick judging from the past.

Atleast we are a middle of the pack team and can make the Playoffs from time to time even with MB and Merv.

The Browns are the worst by far.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 05:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: Where ya been?  I already caught hell for saying the Brownies were potentially closer.

Hey your always one up on me buddy!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Sadly, the Browns will win a playoff game first.

The Browns will ride the law of averages leading to eventually having some draft choices pan out, and making a few good decisions.

The Bengals will continue to pedal the tricycle of mediocrity (Mike, Marvin, and Andy), leading to continued mediocrity.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 07:49 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Which is worse?

or

My perception of the Bengals is different than yours.  I agree that putting faith in the Browns is clearly a fool's errand until massive evidence to the contrary surfaces, but I also think you give Mike Brown too much credit.  
Reply/Quote
The scary thing is i really don’t know
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 09:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My perception of the Bengals is different than yours.  I agree that putting faith in the Browns is clearly a fool's errand until massive evidence to the contrary surfaces, but I also think you give Mike Brown too much credit.  

Because I said "they think they know what they are doing" even though it's without success?

I'm not sure what you claim I'm giving them too much credit for?

Mike Brown clearly thinks he does things properly.

That is why he is in the minority of owners(sometimes the only one)when it comes to what he believes.

That is why he continues to employ Marvin and handle free agency/draft in an unorthodox manner.

Okay, maybe it's football competitive insanity but a sound-minded way fiscally.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 05:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: Where ya been?  I already caught hell for saying the Brownies were potentially closer.

All it really takes is consistent play at QB

They have a TON of cap space.....could potentially get a stop gap vet QB in FA, AND draft the future.

Get Barkley.

You have Josh Gordon.

They added Dorsey, a bonafide GM with a rather impressive track record.

They added Todd Haley as OC.

Gregg Williams is a well respected DC, and took the defense from 31st to 14th overall in one season.

They went into TOTAL REBUILD mode, and now have the cash and draft picks to right the ship if they make the right moves.

The team was almost completely devoid of talent, but it still played hard, and never quit on the coaches.

The Bengals:

Have Mike Brown.

Have Merv...........AGAIN.

The team IS overall more talented, but where it has holes, it's about as bad as the Brownies.

The team looked lifeless for several weeks.

The hope here is that Lazor, Austin, and Pollack can right the ship on their own, because we can pretty much expect that FA will be the usual dumpster dive for the turd of your choice (most likely a steroid-less Brian Cushing....yay).  They will retain Blodine, and at least Fish....if not Ogbuehi as well.

I DO think all of those coaches are better than their predecessors.  Zampese was putrid, Alexander was washed up and too stubborn to adjust, and Guenther just seemed to have gotten soft.....although I did like when he decided to hold underperforming vets accountable, only to have Merv step on his junk in the media.

In the end, the Browns are trying to evolve, while the Bengals are rolling status quo.  All things considered, RIGHT NOW, I think the Bengals are closer, but come back to me after the draft and/or FA.  If the Brownies get themselves a QB and a couple other nice pieces, I'm changing that.

If the Bengals don't win one this year, then mos def the Browns.  If they end up with a combo of Barkley and Rosen/Allen they're going to be dangerous.  Skill players on offense already comparable to Cincy, o line light years ahead.  Tons of cap space.  A far better GM than they've had in the last 15 years.  Plus, the Browns aren't run by Mike and coached by Marvin.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Well there's a very good chance that Cleveland is going to sign AJM. He got us closer to a playoff win since Boomer Esiason. Perhaps folks shouldn't be saying it depends on what QB Cleveland signs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Marvin can’t win a playoff game and since he’s still with us, the Browns have a better chance. For at least the next 2yrs anyway.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 06:10 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Aww yeah the double edge sword of using past transgressions in a way that doesn’t fit a narrative. Because the bengals haven’t won a playoff game in almost 3 decades, doesn’t mean they can’t or won’t. But using that arguememt against them but with a different team....

Not following your logic.  I said they were closer as of right now.  I said IF the Browns play their cards right, they could move ahead in that category.

What makes you think the Merv and Mike Show is any closer now that they have a less talented team? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 12:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well there's a very good chance that Cleveland is going to sign AJM. He got us closer to a playoff win since Boomer Esiason. Perhaps folks shouldn't be saying it depends on what QB Cleveland signs

I'm sure he'll bring home the hardware now that he's out from under that worthless playoff bum Mediocre Merv.....even in Cleveland. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 10:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Not following your logic.  I said they were closer as of right now.  I said IF the Browns play their cards right, they could move ahead in that category.

What makes you think the Merv and Mike Show is any closer now that they have a less talented team? Mellow

I was meaning whenever someone says Marv won't/can't win a playoff game, we get the "just because it hasn't happened don't mean it never will", which I agree with, but once you use that same argument with the Browns, you get blasted. Just because they've won 1 game the past two years doesn't mean they'll win 1 game or not win/go to the playoffs next year or after. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 10:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Not following your logic.  I said they were closer as of right now.  I said IF the Browns play their cards right, they could move ahead in that category.

Not a single thing

I have little to no hope this off season is gonna be any different than the previous ones under Mike and Marv and we need to much help to dumpster dive in FA again.

In no way would I be shocked if Cleveland gets a playoff win before the M&M show ! And have no idea why anyone would disagree with that with the mountain of evidence in front of them ?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 11:32 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I was meaning whenever someone says Marv won't/can't win a playoff game, we get the "just because it hasn't happened don't mean it never will", which I agree with, but once you use that same argument with the Browns, you get blasted. Just because they've won 1 game the past two years doesn't mean they'll win 1 game or not win/go to the playoffs next year or after. 

Ah......I gotcha. :andy:

Our team just isn't as good as it was when it was making 5 straight playoff meltdowns.  You couple that with Merv still here, and the Mike Clown FA bargain bin......I just don't see it making the necessary strides to overcome the last two mediocre/shitty seasons, let alone winning a playoff game.  I'm trying to be optimistic with the new coaching hires, as at least two of them are VAST improvements over their predecessors, but man......the rest of the picture don't look so hot.  We need these coaching changes to be grand slams.  If not, don't look for much to happen here.

The main thing I like about the Browns situation at the moment is the hiring of Dorsey.  If ownership can just let him run the show, good things may be on the horizon for them.  At least they have change going for them, while we go on with 17 years of mediocrity at best.

Reply/Quote
The Browns are 1-31 under Hue. Even if they add some nice pieces and FINALLY find a QB they’re not even close to making the playoffs.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 11:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Browns are 1-31 under Hue. Even if they add some nice pieces and FINALLY find a QB they’re not even close to making the playoffs.

Yes, but the question is who wins a playoff game first, not who makes it back first. :andy:

Reply/Quote