Bengals
Zimmer's Vikings
Palmer and Cardinals
Gruden's Redskins
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wins A Playoff Game First?
(08-18-2015, 01:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Which is harder? Trying to have a better record than 1 great team? Or trying to have a better record than 3 really good teams?

I highly doubt the Packers and Seahawks were doing the tie-breaking gymnastics in their head last year that the Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens were.

Yeah, we have a more competitive Division. Atleast from what we saw last season IMO.

The Packers and Seahawks are quite possibly the 2 best teams in football but their Divisions are weaker than the AFC North right now.

We have been a very good regular season team, it is once we get into the Playoffs where we fail everytime. Unlike the Ravens and Stoolers.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Which is harder? Trying to have a better record than 1 great team? Or trying to have a better record than 3 really good teams?

I highly doubt the Packers and Seahawks were doing the tie-breaking gymnastics in their head last year that the Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens were.

3 really good teams?  I'm not sure I'd call the Browns a "really good team."  And I'd say the reason the Packers and Seahawks weren't thinking as much about tie-breaking had to do with the fact that they won 2 more games than the Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:53 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: yada yada AFCN good stuff

How about this. We make a series of bets (7?) and whoever wins more of them at the end of the season gets to choose a sig for the other for a pre-determined amount of time. A series seems better to me than just a single bet.

For example...

1. SEA/ARI/STL combined have more regular season wins than BAL/PIT/CIN combined
2. SEA plays in the NFC Championship Game
3. PIT scores less than 30 PPG
4. AFCN doesn't send 3 teams to the playoffs
5. AFCN wins 1 or 0 playoff games
6. ARI makes the playoffs
7. STL is > .500

Those are just examples of what we could do based off our arguments (you said STL is a .500 or worse team and that PIT will score 30+ which gave the idea for those)

Let me know what you think.

(08-18-2015, 01:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Strength of schedule means very little if you're using a team's record to determine if they were a "tough" team to beat or not. It's a circular argument to make if you think about it. Bengals played team X . Team X had very few wins. Bengals SoS was weak because of team X. But Team X had so many losses because the Bengals (among other teams) beat them.

The AFCS was not a "garbage can" last year. They had 2 teams with winning records. As did every other division except the NFCW (who had 0 winning teams), the AFCN, and the AFCW (who also had 3 teams with winning records).

So basically, your argument is that the AFCN only sent 3 teams to the playoffs because they played the NFCW. So whichever division plays the NFCW this year will also send 3 teams to the playoffs? Or at least will have 3 teams worthy of the playoffs? And in 2013, the division that played the NFCW sent 3 teams to the playoffs, as well?

Or could it be that in 2014, the teams were really that good? Considering they played MORE than just the NFCW, I'm inclined to believe they were really that good. Now, will they be that good this year? That remains to be seen.

It's the NFCS, not west. The NFCW is SEA/SF/ARI/STL.

The AFCS was absolutely a garbage can. 2 of their teams combined for 5 wins. No other division in the league can say that. 8 wins is the closest combined amount for the 2 bottom teams in any division, and even that is the historically awful NFCS.

The NFCS teams in 2014 clearly weren't the same caliber they were in 2013, so your question about 2013 doesn't make much sense.

The NFCS teams records outside of the division are...

3-6-1
4-6
1-9
2-8

I've never seen anybody ready to jump to the defense for the NFCS, and no, they didn't just look bad because they played us. That division was AWFUL last year, no if's, and's, or but's about it. I don't know why you're going to lengths to try and make that pile seem better than they really were. No, they were THAT bad, just stop trying to defend them. Not one team in the entire division had a positive point differential. They all sucked.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:31 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I've never seen anybody ready to jump to the defense for the NFCS, and no, they didn't just look bad because they played us. That division was AWFUL last year, no if's, and's, or but's about it. I don't know why you're going to lengths to try and make that pile seem better than they really were. No, they were THAT bad, just stop trying to defend them. Not one team in the entire division had a positive point differential. They all sucked.

There, the NFC South sucked last year, but the Panthers won the division by default and then hosted a playoff game against a Cardinals team led by Ryan Lindley.  This perfectly illustrates the fragile nature of the question at hand.  The Bengals could have won that game, but sometimes teams that have a better chance to win are at home due to the occasional bs of the division system, or playing better teams due to it.

Under identical circumstances I'd go Cardinals, then Bengals, then Vikings, and I won't even consider DC's crap squad to be part of this question, Gruden or not.  But the Bengals have the best shot to win their division out of all of these teams, so i they get a home playoff game I'd give them the "most likely to win" moniker.  Then again, if a team is a 10-6 wildcard and gets to play a 7-9 division winner that could be better than hosting a 10-6 wild card.

Oh, the mind boggles.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:31 PM)djs7685 Wrote: How about this. We make a series of bets (7?) and whoever wins more of them at the end of the season gets to choose a sig for the other for a pre-determined amount of time. A series seems better to me than just a single bet.

For example...

1. SEA/ARI/STL combined have more regular season wins than BAL/PIT/CIN combined
2. SEA plays in the NFC Championship Game
3. PIT scores less than 30 PPG
4. AFCN doesn't send 3 teams to the playoffs
5. AFCN wins 1 or 0 playoff games
6. ARI makes the playoffs
7. STL is > .500

I'll do a whole year sig bet with you
CIN/PIT/BAL will have a better record than SEA/ARI/STL.
Arizona will not go to the playoffs
St. Louis will not be better than .500
AFCN will win more than 1 playoff game
I bet an AFCN team will win the AFC championship game
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There, the NFC South sucked last year, but the Panthers won the division by default and then hosted a playoff game against a Cardinals team led by Ryan Lindley.  This perfectly illustrates the fragile nature of the question at hand.  The Bengals could have won that game, but sometimes teams that have a better chance to win are at home due to the occasional bs of the division system, or playing better teams due to it.

Under identical circumstances I'd go Cardinals, then Bengals, then Vikings, and I won't even consider DC's crap squad to be part of this question, Gruden or not.  But the Bengals have the best shot to win their division out of all of these teams, so i they get a home playoff game I'd give them the "most likely to win" moniker.  Then again, if a team is a 10-6 wildcard and gets to play a 7-9 division winner that could be better than hosting a 10-6 wild card.

Oh, the mind boggles.

Vikings will be better than the Cardinals next year.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:51 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'll do a whole year sig bet with you saying that CIN/PIT/BAL will have a better record than SEA/ARI/STL. It will be an easy win for me.
I doubt Arizona will go to the playoffs either.

I'll take those 5.

What about PIT scores less than 30 PPG and one more to make it 7?

So it would be on my side of things...

1. SEA/ARI/STL has a better combined record than CIN/PIT/BAL
2. Arizona makes the playoffs
3. St. Louis is over .500
4. AFCN wins 0 or 1 playoff game
5. AFCN team doesn't win the AFC Championship Game
6. PIT scores less than 30 PPG
7. ?????????
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:09 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I'll take those 5.

7. ?????????

I don't want to say PIT scores 30 or more, because one injury could really **** that up

I'll be up for "the Bengals will get to the divisional round of the playoffs"

You suggest another one, unless you want me to suggest the last one.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yep, Aaron Rogers missed significant time for the first time in his career...so that's all it takes for this Bengals team to top the Packers, eh?  No Aaron Rogers?  Seems legit.

My point was that the NFCN was a very weak division just 2 years ago.

BTW we beat the Packers even though they had Rodgers when we played them.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My point was that the NFCN was a very weak division just 2 years ago.

BTW we beat the Packers even though they had Rodgers when we played them.

Ok, this isn't about divisions.  I keep saying the Packers and Seahawks are bigger hurdles to the Cardinals and Vikings in my mind than the Steelers/Ravens are to the Bengals.  It's not a division thing, per se.

But back to your point, we also beat the Packers in 2009 and they've managed to win 6 playoff games including a Super Bowl since then.  
I'd say they we won the battle but they won the war, so to speak.

Last year the Packers and Seahawks were the best teams in the NFC and nothing indicates a change of the guard, thus far. That's the only point I'm making. All I'm saying is the Seahawks and Packers are better than the Steelers and Ravens...is that so absurd?  It's great we beat Aaron Rogers twice, though.
Reply/Quote
Apparently 38 people weren't using their heads!!!!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:09 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I'll take those 5.

7. ?????????

(08-18-2015, 02:24 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't want to say PIT scores 30 or more, because one injury could really **** that up

I'll be up for "the Bengals will get to the divisional round of the playoffs"

You suggest another one, unless you want me to suggest the last one.
I'm curious to see how this would have gone. DJS looks like he would have won. 

SEA/ARI/STL had the better record.
ARI made the playoffs.
The Bengals did not go to the divisional round.
Pitt didn't score 30 ppg (though you may have not used that one).

I highly doubt Pitt goes to the super bowl this year. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:34 PM)GodFather Wrote: Apparently 38 people weren't using their heads!!!!

Well, technically you aren't right yet. Minn is losing. The Skins could lose and Zona could lose next week. Who knows. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Zim's team is out. Kicker just missed an easy one for the win. AP's fumble earlier in the quarter led to Hawks taking lead.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Jay's team falling apart. So, this question may go unanswered into next January.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
None of them.

Ever.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Maybe Cardinals... But this thread may have doomed them.
Also, it really depends on the NFL Script for this year Ninja
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
*Ding* *Ding* We have a winner.

Carson just sent a text message to Mike Brown, asking how Marvin's doing...
Reply/Quote
Hey, I guessed right.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:51 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'll do a whole year sig bet with you

-nope

- nope

- they never are

- ugh, I sure hope not!

- ugh, I sure hope not!

(01-17-2016, 02:33 AM)GodFather Wrote: *Ding*  *Ding* We have a winner.

Carson just sent a text message to Mike Brown, asking how Marvin's doing...

Marvin is fine.  Marvin isn't going to be the one to suffer around here, ever.  What does he care if Carson won?  He's still the HC here.  Will be.  Got his extension after 2011, got more personnel control.  Marvin won the 2011 stand-off, but opinions will vary on who lost it.
Reply/Quote