Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who do you sign? (With salary projections)
How about trade the 31st for Laremy Tunsil. Get a high caliber guard and a good right tackle, sign Reiff again also.

Better O line for Joe, definitely better pass protection with the best pass blocker in the league.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 07:03 PM)J24 Wrote: We have plenty of room to sign a OG or 2 and CJ. CJ was a pretty good player for us and a huge locker room guy. I don't think it is wise to give up on a player like that for virtually nothing.

Well yeah, but we also have to re-sign (or tag) Bates, one of either Ogunjobi or Hill (preferably both), and upgrade as many spots on the OL as possible (4 in a perfect world - but 2-3 minimum). And OT’s don’t come cheap. I don’t want to bank on Reiff making it healthy through a full season again. We rolled the dice on that this year and lost.

Look, I get it, I absolutely love Uzomah. As much as anyone. Would hate to see him go. But $8 mil a year is just way too much for what he brings. Especially with our trio of WR’s and Mixon. CJ’s intangibles would be missed, but I’m kind of past being sentimental about players at this point. Our Super Bowl window officially opened earlier than expected, and I want to go all in while Burrow is on his rookie contract.

And I think 7-8 million dollars can be put to better use than a 5th option in an offense. If he wants to take a team friendly deal to keep playing with Burrow, and stay in Cincinnati - great.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:07 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Count me as a big "No" on getting Laremy Tunsil. I also don't think I low ball Uzomah with a take it or leave it offer.
I am good with Bates and BJ Hill/Ogunjobi extension. I don't want to move Jonah Williams. I am ok with Bozeman.
Not that excited over James Daniels as I am for a cheaper Connor Williams. I am also not sure I want to deal with Trent Brown.
I would need to know what failed with the Raiders?

Why no on Tunsil… and keeping Jonah Williams at LT?

Tunsil has given up 7 sacks in 4 years, Jonah just gave up 8.

Jonah could be better suited for a different spot on the OL.
Reply/Quote
Tunsil is a top 5 LT when it comes to pass protection. If you can get a deal done for him - you do it.

Reply/Quote
Why do folks always want to move Jonah? Dude is a good LT. His only issue has been durability but he shook that off this year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 12:31 PM)J24 Wrote: Joseph Notebloom - 3 year 27 Million

Connor Williams LG- 1 year 6.5 Million

Brian Allen C 3 year 21 Million

3T- Maurice Hurst 1 year 1.5 million- provides instant pass rush at the 3T

Kevin King 1 year 4 Million- Ok starting CB

Our guys
Bates 4 year 64 million
CJ 2 year 14 Million
Larry Ogunjobi- 1 year 8 Million
Mike Thomas WR 1 year veteran min
Brandon Allen -1 year vet min
Trey Flowers - 1 year Vet Min
All restricted free agents (including a second RD fender on Stanley Morgan)

Cuts for
Hopkins
Wayne's
Brandon Wilson
Samaji Perine

Trades
Tyler Boyd to GB for second RD pick

No chance we get a 2 for Boyd 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why do folks always want to move Jonah? Dude is a good LT. His only issue has been durability but he shook that off this year.

I’m fairly high on Jonah myself, but he did have an up and down season. 10 total sacks including playoffs is a lot. If they can upgrade with a better LT, and move him to another spot I don’t think that’s necessary a bad thing.

Reply/Quote
Thoughts:
Cutting Hopkins. If we don't replace Hopkins in free agency this year. he's locked in as the 2022 starter. He's a free agent next year. If he does well he'll want more than the 6+M he's making. If he doesn't do well then what. We don't really have anyone behind him. IMO next years FA class at center will be worse.
Keeping Hopkins: the only veteran on the OL who's not in their rookie contract. Bengals have 7 OL with less than 2 years of playing time. OL needs veteran leadership and experience, otherwise we have college linemen who only see pros on the other side of the ball.

Right Now:
The only 3 offensive starters with 3+ yrs. experience are Hopkins, Boyd, and Mixon. Williams will be in 4th year after sitting out year 1.
In contrast. the only defensive starters on their rookie contracts are Wilson and Pratt. Everyone else except Hubbard is a free agent And I don't even know who's gonna play DT next to Reader (Shelvin is the only one under contract).

My conclusion is that most of FA will be dedicated to the OL and most of the draft will be dedicated to the defense.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why do folks always want to move Jonah? Dude is a good LT. His only issue has been durability but he shook that off this year.

If the opportunity becomes available where you can get even better at LT and move Jonah to RT, where he played a 3rd of his games at Alabama...I think you have to consider it.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m fairly high on Jonah myself, but he did have an up and down season. 10 total sacks including playoffs is a lot. If they can upgrade with a better LT, and move him to another spot I don’t think that’s necessary a bad thing.

Well I don't think upgrading any position is a bad thing..The question is: What are you willing to pay?

Folks in this thread are bringing up Tunsil. Dude costs $22 Mil a year and would cost us a 1st rounder at the absolute minimum. Let's not create a problem that's not there. 

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If the opportunity becomes available where you can get even better at LT and move Jonah to RT, where he played a 3rd of his games at Alabama...I think you have to consider it.

We could upgrade all 3 interior Oline positions for about the same price a LT "better" than Jonah would cost..

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well I don't think upgrading any position is a bad thing..The question is: What are you willing to pay?

Folks in this thread are bringing up Tunsil. Dude costs $22 Mil a year and would cost us a 1st rounder at the absolute minimum. Let's not create a problem that's not there. 

But if you slide Jonah to RT that solves a problem that is there. And now you have a franchise LT. Merely bringing back Reiff would feel like settling to me. We should be aiming higher than that at his point.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well I don't think upgrading any position is a bad thing..The question is: What are you willing to pay?

If a team traded for him, it'd actually be a little over $18m/yr (and at least a 1st as you said). The Texans would still have to pay the signing bonus and restructure bonus. Still your point stands. Tunsil is not worth that, and certainly not just 2 years of Tunsil.

For $18m/yr is almost the same cost as signing two quality IOL (you might need to spend like $2-3m/yr more). Plus then you'd still keep your 1st round pick to spend on a RT. That seems to be a much better use of resources considering the Bengals aren't in need of just 1 OL, but 4.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 09:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If a team traded for him, it'd actually be a little over $18m/yr (and at least a 1st as you said). The Texans would still have to pay the signing bonus and restructure bonus. Still your point stands. Tunsil is not worth that, and certainly not just 2 years of Tunsil.

For $18m/yr is almost the same cost as signing two quality IOL (you might need to spend like $2-3m/yr more). Plus then you'd still keep your 1st round pick to spend on a RT. That seems to be a much better use of resources considering the Bengals aren't in need of just 1 OL, but 4.

But then we’re back to counting on a rookie to be ready immediately. Always a gamble.

Reply/Quote
Not sure he’d definitely cost a 1st either. Texans didn’t pay a 1st. And neither did SF for Trent Williams.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 09:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But if you slide Jonah to RT that solves a problem that is there. And now you have a franchise LT. Merely bringing back Reiff would feel like settling to me. We should be aiming higher than that at his point.

We have a franchise LT. If we go by PFF jonah rated at 77.8. Some of the franchise LTs folks are talking about replacing him with:

Mekhi Becton: 67.2

Laremy Tunsil: 60.8

Terron Armstead; 75.9

Orlando Brown: 75.2

Duane Brown 71.8

Reply/Quote
If the Texans could eat part of Tunsil contract that would be ideal.. we need the money to get other pieces.

Perhaps you give up the 1st if they absorb 50-60% of the contract?
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 09:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure he’d definitely cost a 1st either. Texans didn’t pay a 1st. And neither did SF for Trent Williams.

They gave up more

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 09:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We could upgrade all 3 interior Oline positions for about the same price a LT "better" than Jonah would cost..

I'm fine with going that route, but an upgrade at LT, a decent priced FA G and moving Jonah to RT, also fixes 3 spots for the same money. That still leaves C/G options in the draft as well.

I'm just saying there's more than one way to upgrade this line. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 06:43 PM)J24 Wrote:  CJ was the 16th highest paid TE last season at 6.5 M. Adding an additional 500k to his yearly salary isn't a big deal. When you factor in what he means to the Lockerroom and how close he is to Burrow 7 Million isn't that steep of a price.

It is when you can get Gronk for the same money.
Reply/Quote