Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Who is the guy we are building the defense around for the next cycle?
(04-02-2024, 05:23 PM)depthchart Wrote: When I first responded to your Post you were mentioning Dax Hill & DT's like Murphy, Newton or Fiske.

I then replied "and/or maybe a Shut Down Corner"

In the Draft area earlier today, I Mocked Braden Fiske in round 2 to the Bengals with Quinyon Mitchell in round 1.

Murphy in round one would be fine with me over Newton but Newton could work for me also.

If Quinyon Mitchell was selected by the Bengals, I would anticipate that he would become better than Turner or Hill.

More than 2 Corners can be on the Field in various packages and the Group as a whole would be better (IMO) 

Plus an injury or two to the Corner Group won't hurt the Team as bad.

A Corner in round 1 is an option to me. (maybe not to you & that is fine -or- you may like another 1st round Corner better)

A CB early really isn't an option for me at this point because the Bengals need an OT within the 1st two rounds, as it's extremely unlikely they will get a good starting-caliber guy outside of the Top 50. And honestly, I don't feel like they'll have good options to pick from at 49 if they go defense in Rd 1.

Had they signed someone like Onwenu to a multi-year deal, I wouldn't be thinking RT is such a need. But it's hard to look at the 1-year rental for Trent Brown (who is about to turn 31 years old) and not worry about the position after this season.

CB at least they have who I think still hopefuls in Turner and Hill unlike RT or DT.

Regardless, this topic is what player are you building a defense around, and I'm of the opinion teams don't build around a CB (anymore).
Or at least I wouldn't.

Personally, I would look to give Turner and Hill one more year to prove if they can be something, maybe just bring in a 1-year cheap vet stopgap as insurance.
Address the trenches, TE, and maybe WR this draft.
If that CB spot still doesn't look solved after this season, use a Rd 1 or Rd 2 pick on CB next season.
But I also tend to give 1st and 2nd round guys too much of a leash compared to others, so I can see some not agreeing with me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 05:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A CB early really isn't an option for me at this point because the Bengals need an OT within the 1st two rounds, as it's extremely unlikely they will get a good starting-caliber guy outside of the Top 50. And honestly, I don't feel like they'll have good options to pick from at 49 if they go defense in Rd 1.

If I think in terms of a "Build Around" Defensive player in round one that may be available at pick #18, I would go with DT Byron Murphy II.

FWIW - When I watch DE Laiatu Latu play, he looks like a Stud "Build around" player at Defensive End but the Bengals may not 

want to go that direction since somewhat deep at DE.

*If you had to take an OT with pick #49 who would you take ?

**Also Trading Up from pick #49 into the earlier part of the 2nd round could solve the OT after round 1 problem.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 06:38 PM)depthchart Wrote: If I think in terms of a "Build Around" Defensive player in round one that may be available at pick #18, I would go with DT Byron Murphy II.

FWIW - When I watch DE Laiatu Latu play, he looks like a Stud "Build around" player at Defensive End but the Bengals may not 

want to go that direction since somewhat deep at DE.

*If you had to take an OT with pick #49 who would you take ?

**Also Trading Up from pick #49 into the earlier part of the 2nd round could solve the OT after round 1 problem.

If I had to take an OT at 49, I would hope Kingsley is there, but I think all the good OTs could be off the board by 49.
I'm on board with trading back from 18 and up from 49 so the Bengals could have 2 picks in the 25-40 range.
Arizona has picks 27th and 35th overall.
If Bengals are not liking who is available at 18, I'd be calling Arizona about a pick swap to see if they'd be interested to give 27 and 35 for 18 and 49.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 07:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If I had to take an OT at 49, I would hope Kingsley is there, but I think all the good OTs could be off the board by 49.
I'm on board with trading back from 18 and up from 49 so the Bengals could have 2 picks in the 25-40 range.
Arizona has picks 27th and 35th overall.
If Bengals are not liking who is available at 18, I'd be calling Arizona about a pick swap to see if they'd be interested to give 27 and 35 for 18 and 49.

I think that would best case scenario. We could kill 2 birds with one stone, future RT and DL..
Reply/Quote