Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your #1 FA?
To clarify: Who is the one FA that you wish the Bengals would sign, for how long, and why? And let's keep this to those outside the team. Overall, I would most want Lawson, but from outside the team....

Mine is going to be a surprise, after beating the Joe Thuney drum for so long.

Kevin Zeitler.

I would try to sign him to a 3 year deal where he would make roughly $8 million per year. This would allow him to play at RG, and have XSF and Spain battle it out at LG (which was XSF's normal position) and have the Bengals looking to fill RT in the 2nd round of the draft. This would allow for another player to be signed as a FA like a CB to replace WJIII while still being able to lock up Lawson long term.

Of course, if Sewell is there, I would take him and look for the WR later in the draft, but I don't see him being there.

Ideally, there would have been a younger RT that could have been signed as a FA, but there simply doesn't seem to be a very solid option there.

Who is your #1 FA that you would like to see the Bengals sign from outside the organization and why?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Spain isn't under contract

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Thuney is still my #1 FA, but I would be happy with Zeitler. However, if they just grab Zeitler and a 2nd round T, I’m not going to be happy. It could work out, and all would be fine but I am still banging the drum of a T in round 1. I believe Sewell is going to be there, and I want to see him in stripes. My dream scenario would be two FA guards and a first round T.
Reply/Quote
Larry Warford is a name that gets overlooked he has been one of the top Right Guards (need) through his entire career.

He was released in May 2020 and couldnt get looks in Free Agency because of Covid19. He then opted out before training camp. 2019 was his worst year as a pass blocker giving up 32 pressures but he still earned a pass block grade of 71.4 prior to 2019 he was always one of the best pass blocking Guards in the NFL. Warford is a dominant run blocker earning a 78.8 in 2019 for an overall grade of 75.8.

Warford's biggest issue in 2019 was he came in out of shape and gave up a bunch of pressures early so with a year off he will need to be checked out but he is one of the best guard options in free agency.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Unpopular pick here, but I’d like to see us sign Corley Linsley. He’s a great center and has played with arguably the best in the game. There is a wealth of knowledge he could pass to the rest of the line and to Joe Burrow.

Get Linsley, draft a tackle in the first two rounds and shift up the line a bit. Has Hopkins played guard before?

Williams — Hopkins — Linsley — rookie/Hart — rookie/Hart
Reply/Quote
As far as adding immediate improvement to the Bengals? Curtis Samuel.

He's a dynamic WR that can be used as a home run threat, from lining up anywhere on the field. Speed, hands, toughness, smarts, and only 25 y/o.

I'd really like to see the Bengals make that 3-5 year investment in Samuel, and then use the draft to restock our fundamental positions on OL/DL with young, athletic blockers and tacklers.

This is a hard vector from where my opinion was a month ago. What we're seeing as far as OL goes, heading into free agency, is that the quality Tackles are being retained by their current teams. Aside from a very expensive Joe Thuney and an aging Kevin Zeitler, the free agent guard market isn't going to be quite as loaded with talented players that would be "far superior" to what we had on the roster last season.

From much of what I've read and watched this year, the first 3 rounds of this year's draft class seems to be loaded with RT and Guard candidates, capable of winning starting jobs in their rookie or second seasons.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Shaq Barrett is mine. Followed by Thuney. We have a better shot at Thuney obviously.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:22 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Thuney is still my #1 FA, but I would be happy with Zeitler. However, if they just grab Zeitler and a 2nd round T, I’m not going to be happy. It could work out, and all would be fine but I am still banging the drum of a T in round 1. I believe Sewell is going to be there, and I want to see him in stripes. My dream scenario would be two FA guards and a first round T.

That would be pretty amazing.  My dream scenario is already dead..that they get a RT like Moton in FA, sign a guy like Thuney or Zeitler to play G and they STILL get Sewell at #5.   They could put Jonah at LG next to Sewell and have Zeitler at RG next to Moton.

Well, like so many other dreams when it comes to the Bengals, that one is dead already.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:34 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Unpopular pick here, but I’d like to see us sign Corley Linsley. He’s a great center and has played with arguably the best in the game. There is a wealth of knowledge he could pass to the rest of the line and to Joe Burrow.

Get Linsley, draft a tackle in the first two rounds and shift up the line a bit. Has Hopkins played guard before?

Centers are rarely singled up and not asked to do as much as any position on the line. We really need to shore up the guard positions given how they have invested in Mixon.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:41 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Shaq Barrett is mine. Followed by Thuney. We have a better shot at Thuney obviously.

It is a fair point, given the struggles on defense.  Dalton went to five straight playoff appearances on the strength of stout defenses.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As far as adding immediate improvement to the Bengals?  Curtis Samuel.

He's a dynamic WR that can be used as a home run threat, from lining up anywhere on the field.  Speed, hands, toughness, smarts, and only 25 y/o.  

I'd really like to see the Bengals make that 3-5 year investment in Samuel, and then use the draft to restock our fundamental positions on OL/DL with young, athletic blockers and tacklers.

This is a hard vector from where my opinion was a month ago.  What we're seeing as far as OL goes, heading into free agency, is that the quality Tackles are being retained by their current teams.  Aside from a very expensive Joe Thuney and an aging Kevin Zeitler, the free agent guard market isn't going to be quite as loaded with talented players that would be "far superior" to what we had on the roster last season.

From much of what I've read and watched this year, the first 3 rounds of this year's draft class seems to be loaded with RT and Guard candidates, capable of winning starting jobs in their rookie or second seasons.

Love Samuel and his versatility.  He can do a little of everything. Would be a great asset to Burrow.  

And I agree about the FA talent.  That is why I lowered my standards to Zeitler.  I would rather see him and a FA pass rusher and CB than just Thuney and some scrubs.

The draft could play in to this scenario as well if Sewell was gone as a team might want to trade up for that #5 pick and allow the Bengals to get three picks in the first two rounds filling needs at OT, G, and CB.  
Reply/Quote
I'd say Golladay, although I think signing him is fairly unrealistic.

I look at it like this: Last year the team shelled out 18 mil to a guy that they expected to be a number 1 wr who built much of his reputation on being an outstanding 50-50 ball guy. The qb puts a ball up for grabs deep, and prime AJ Green is coming down with it more than almost anyone in the league. Obviously they did not get that out of AJ, but Golladay has a very similar game. He's a 6-4 x-reciever type, ie the exact type of guy we need. It would be just like last year, but possibly a bit less money-wise compared to the Green deal, except we'd actually be getting someone still capable/willing to give number 1 caliber production.

Obviously there would be a longer commitment involved, but if he produced as he has for the last couple of years it's still a great investment.

If you signed Golladay, you're obviously hoping Sewell is there at 9, which is another reason I like shelling out for a wr over a OL. I like Chase a lot, but I feel like teams are going to be all over him. I think there's a much smaller chance that Chase is there at 5 than Penei. One of those teams ahead of us, likely Miami if they don't trade out will view him as a guy that's going to be their number 1 wr for the next five years.

If building around Burrow is the goal and the team is as geared-up to spend as we hope, then I think an offseason of adding Golladay, Sewell, and a upper-mid-tier guard would be a huge win. I'm thinking Zeitler, Warford, or Jackson here.
Reply/Quote
I'd be fine signing Zeitler, but I'm going to go with Matt Feiler. I'm giving him the nod because of the two year age difference and position flexibility. I like the idea of penciling him in at RT and moving inside depending on how the draft goes. Can I say I want both signed?

This could probably be said about any of the OL guys in their 30s, but I see Zeitler as a one year placeholder while a draft pick or current backup develops. Like you said, it may take a 3 year contract but I think you can count on one year and feel lucky if they can give 2 or 3 without a large drop off.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:34 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Unpopular pick here, but I’d like to see us sign Corley Linsley. He’s a great center and has played with arguably the best in the game. There is a wealth of knowledge he could pass to the rest of the line and to Joe Burrow.

That's actually a great strategy... And yes; Hopkins played G in 2017.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Trent Williams

3 yrs/ $60 Mil

$30 Mil guaranteed
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Zeitler- the Bengals know him, be relatively cheap for a player of his calibur, and he fills our biggest need.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As far as adding immediate improvement to the Bengals?  Curtis Samuel.

He's a dynamic WR that can be used as a home run threat, from lining up anywhere on the field.  Speed, hands, toughness, smarts, and only 25 y/o.  

This is a hard vector from where my opinion was a month ago.  What we're seeing as far as OL goes, heading into free agency, is that the quality Tackles are being retained by their current teams.  Aside from a very expensive Joe Thuney and an aging Kevin Zeitler, the free agent guard market isn't going to be quite as loaded with talented players that would be "far superior" to what we had on the roster last season.

Right now, i'd probably lean this way too...if, it was Zeitler and Samuel as the top 2. That would leave them some money to use on other areas and it would probably be better than Thuney and a lesser WR. Zeitler should be an immediate upgrade and Samuel would put the WR corps through the roof, imo. 

Then you get Sewell or a lower T (assuming at least one will be available) in rd2 of the draft.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I hope they go for Kwon Alexander this time around. Hopefully Duffner’s past ties will help. I love the Curtis Samuel idea. Anything Oline. If they could address the Oline in FA is Sewell necessary? I’m torn. I really want Pitts. Pitts, Sewell, or Chase would be alright. I think it was Fred pointing out the number 3 WR production across the league, puts me in the “no WR chosen” at 5 camp. But Chase would be hard to pass up if the other 2 are gone.
Reply/Quote
Trent Williams (4 years 80 million)
Kevin Zeitler (7 million APV)
Josh Reynolds (4 million APV)
Kyle Pitts
Liam Eichenberg
Demetric Felton

O-line:
T. Williams-J. Williams-T. Hopkins-K. Zeitler-L. Eichenberg

Zero% happening!
Reply/Quote
There are so many moving parts to this question. And my answer would depend on the Lawson situation. Assuming they don’t bring him back I would go with trey Hendrickson. The money would be probably be more than signing Lawson but it fills a massive hole.

Since they seem intent on drafting an impact, skill position player at 1, see chase, jamar they can get ot in 2.

Probably need a cb in 3.

Guard in 4.

They have too many holes to fill if they sign only 1 free agent but I think Hendrickson gives them the best shot at filling their biggest needs in the draft if he’s the only signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote