Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your player that has low expectations that you feel may surprise?
(08-02-2019, 12:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Bobby Hart....  
Malik Jefferson

I think I should stop reading because if this happens, we will be extremely happy. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 12:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was thinking of Ross earlier before TC started, then well, he was quick to disappoint. But here's my suprise pick that may gain some flack, but I will say Dre K. He's been a total douchebag, undisciplined player for the last few years who does more flamboyant pleading and arm waving than he does focusing on coverage. Hopefully with the new accountability, he starts earning that enormous check we wrote him. Next in line would be Hart. I can't explain why really, just that the coaching may get his play up to speed and get the best out of him.

The (very) early reports was that dre was blanketing guys and making plays on the ball.  I just hope he stays healthy.  He always seems to get nicked up at the worst times and it sets back his development.  
Reply/Quote
I like this threads that bring out the positive thoughts in everyone.

Pretty much everyone I would have listed has already been mentioned.

Malone......Probably #1 on my list based on the fact that we need him more than any of the others right now. But although I ws high on him in college he really hasn't done anything to give me a lot of hope.

Vigil...…#1 on my list of guys that I think will actually step up. He needs to stay healthy all year.

Sample.....About to become the new Reggie Kelly. Won't have a lot of catches but will play a lot of snaps and help with the run game.

Billings.....Actually played pretty well last year. Footballoutsiders lumps all 3-4 DTs and DEs plus all 4-3 DTs together in a group labeled "defensive linemen". They use two stats to measure their efficiency against the run, and although I won't swear they are the most accurate metrics they ranked Billings 20th in the league in "success rate" and 8th in "average rush yards allowed".

Willis.....Might get a lot more snaps with MJ gone. Has not shown me anything special, but has not stood out looking bad either.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 12:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like this threads that bring out the positive thoughts in everyone.

Malone......Probably #1 on my list based on the fact that we need him more than any of the others right now.  But although I ws high on him in college he really hasn't done anything to give me a lot of hope.  

Vigil...…#1 on my list of guys that I think will actually step up.  He needs to stay healthy all year.  

Sample.....About to become the new Reggie Kelly.  Won't have a lot of catches but will play a lot of snaps and help with the run game.

Billings.....Actually played pretty well last year.  Footballoutsiders lumps all 3-4 DTs and DEs plus all 4-3 DTs together in a group labeled "defensive linemen".  They use two stats to measure their efficiency against the run, and although I won't swear they are the most accurate metrics they ranked Billings 20th in the league in "success rate" and 8th in "average rush yards allowed".

Willis.....Might get a lot more snaps with MJ gone.  Has not shown me anything special, but has not stood out looking bad either.

Malone is on my list also. It is year #3 for him and a #1 a lot of receivers take 3 to 4 years to develop (TJ for example). #2 He was injured a lot and stumped his development. #3 - He is a solid man, ask Shazier who bounced off of him (no, I am not glad he was hurt). 

He has the athletic ability and NFL body to be a solid NFL WR so even though has shown a lot yet, he could step up if can have a healthy training camp which is #4 opportunity with AJ hurt.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I really want our offensive line to gel. Honestly. I don't care who it is at this point, but that's my largest concern going in and out of every year. I wasn't too happy when we retained Hart, but if he could prove his worth, then great.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I'm going to cheat here and pick the O-Line.
I just think that the guys are going to click and surprise a lot of people. I watched the Billy Price interview last night and found it interesting that he mentioned they are being coached in a way which is making it easier, with the way he was talking it seemed the previous coaches were making it to over complicated.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 09:30 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hart may surprise us, but I thought he only gave up 2 sacks last year. It was his false starts and penalties that killed drives. But, if a pass protection issue, you put Sample on his side, then Sample can help him by chipping on his way out on routes.

It's been mentioned a few times that Cordy Glenn gave up only two sacks last season.  You may have just gotten the two mixed up, easy enough to do..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 12:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like this threads that bring out the positive thoughts in everyone.

Malone......Probably #1 on my list based on the fact that we need him more than any of the others right now.  But although I ws high on him in college he really hasn't done anything to give me a lot of hope.  

Vigil...…#1 on my list of guys that I think will actually step up.  He needs to stay healthy all year.  

Sample.....About to become the new Reggie Kelly.  Won't have a lot of catches but will play a lot of snaps and help with the run game.

Billings.....Actually played pretty well last year.  Footballoutsiders lumps all 3-4 DTs and DEs plus all 4-3 DTs together in a group labeled "defensive linemen".  They use two stats to measure their efficiency against the run, and although I won't swear they are the most accurate metrics they ranked Billings 20th in the league in "success rate" and 8th in "average rush yards allowed".

Willis.....Might get a lot more snaps with MJ gone.  Has not shown me anything special, but has not stood out looking bad either.

Sample just wasn't used much in the passing game which doesn't mean he can't. I'd absolutely love if he became the best blocker in the league and even just pretty good catching passes. Even a few well timed passes at the right time can equate to wins. They don't even have to be TDs if he can get the ball downfield often enough for others to score.  I guess I'll pick Sample, Willis and maybe even Pratt. Hey! Boris Karloff's real last name was Pratt. He actually shared the same name with the warden of the port of San Francisco.. William Henry Pratt..  Obviously that means Pratt will be the greatest LB ever because...well...just because. Do you need some better reason? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
So I'm rooting for Deshaun Davis, even though it might only be special teams impact. I guess with Worley gone it improves his chances. Takeo likes him and he is an interesting story and a quick learner
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 08:16 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So I'm rooting for Deshaun Davis, even though it might only be special teams impact.  I guess with Worley gone it improves his chances.  Takeo likes him and he is an interesting story and a quick learner

Davis is a thumper.  I don't know where they would play him on defense with a base of 4-2-5.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Jordan Evans
Reply/Quote
Jon Miller
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 08:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Davis is a thumper.  I don't know where they would play him on defense with a base of 4-2-5.  

I don't see us playing a base nickel defense, but I have been wrong before.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 11:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't see us playing a base nickel defense, but I have been wrong before.

Our base Defense is a Nickle package heck most teams.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Both linebackers Jordan Evans and Preston Brown. I like Pratt but think Jordan will still have a role to play in this D.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 12:34 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Our base Defense is a Nickle package heck most teams.

I don't see us using only 2 LB's on first down (our base). Again, maybe I am wrong.

Reply/Quote
Ross think he and the last coaches did not get along. Hope new offense uses his speed and trains him up do be what he was drafted to be. If not this year show big improvement cut line and run.
Reply/Quote
Malik Jefferson - had a really good game (I think against Indy) last pre-season, and I've heard he's much improved in this camp. If they can get his mind right he's got the skills. If he (and Pratt) panned out and Vigil stayed healthy our nickel package would could be a major upgrade.

Jon Miller - Lap was saying the D linemen were all telling him that Miller (and the interior in general) has been a handful. Would be so nice to have a strong interior in both the running game and the passing game. Giving Mixon & Gio holes in the interior and Dalton an extra second could have some dramatic results.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 12:30 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: My guy is Jordan Willis.  I was big on him when he was selected, but he has done little to nothing to warrant his selection and could actually be a (somewhat) surprise cut.  

I am doubling down on the guy for this reason:  I think he has finally found his home at LDE.  He will rotate with Dunlap.  He won't be rotating inside and he won't be playing the right side with a bunch of other guys and never really finding his rhythm.  

There are a ton of reasons to say why Willis won't do squat again this year, but I just have a feeling that he may surprise.  He is my choice.  

Honorable mentions go to Clayton Fedejelem (who I still think could be our SS) and Christian Westerman (who always apparently sucks in practice but was our highest game-rated offensive linemen when he did get to play).

Who are yours?

Willis was my first thought as well. Think Preston Brown has low expectations and could surprise.

Especially with Pratt playing next to him.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 02:16 PM)3wt Wrote: Malik Jefferson - had a really good game (I think against Indy) last pre-season, and I've heard he's much improved in this camp.   If they can get his mind right he's got the skills.   If he (and Pratt) panned out and Vigil stayed healthy our nickel package would could be a major upgrade.

Jon Miller - Lap was saying the D linemen were all telling him that Miller (and the interior in general) has been a handful.  Would be so nice to have a strong interior in both the running game and the passing game.  Giving Mixon & Gio holes in the interior and Dalton an extra second could have some dramatic results.

An article in the Athletic noted that Jefferson has had zero impact at camp. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote