Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who plays music?
My latest PRS purchase.  It's custom color S2.  Still haven't sprung for a Core model...  yet.

[Image: nogrdgaxfibysmwgzlmf.jpg]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 06:21 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: My latest PRS purchase.  It's custom color S2.  Still haven't sprung for a Core model...  yet.

Gorgeous guitar rocker! 
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 06:25 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Gorgeous guitar rocker! 

Thanks!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I play guitar.

My gear:

-Suhr Classic Antique HSS
-Suhr Classic T
-Les Paul Studio Deluxe

-Line 6 Helix LT
-Fender Blues Jr.

I use my Helix for pretty much everything now, but I still have quite a few pedals.  If I'm playing through my amp I usually just use a super simple pedalboard. (Crybaby, Fulltone OCD, MXR Carbon Copy)

I'd love to check out some Suhr stuff.

Always sounds fantastic to me and I've heard by many they play like butter.

Like you, I used to play LP heavy ass guitars for years and decided to switch predominantly to Strats.

Strats are the swiss army knife of guitars and if you're playing different genres they can pretty much do it all.

I used the HSS configuration 5 way switched with coil splitting which enabled me to get all kinds of clean and funky tones too.

Les Pauls definitely get the job done for heavy stuff/blues and have great singing tones.  Love me some Gary Moore and Dave Meniketti growing up.

It just didn't seem to do it enough for clean tone versatility for me.

Of course you can tweak and change anything to get what you need, but Strats just make it so much easier in my opinion right out of the box.

I have a Headrush pedal board system that I had planned on trying at some live shows, but I ended up retiring from playing out for a while recently.

Now I'll just try using it for home recording.  Like the Helix you can plug it right into your PC without an interface.  
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 06:21 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: My latest PRS purchase.  It's custom color S2.  Still haven't sprung for a Core model...  yet.

Love that color!

How do you like the trem on that?  I've always heard the PRS trems are amazing.  
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 06:52 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'd love to check out some Suhr stuff.

Like you, I used to play LP heavy ass guitars for years and decided to switch predominantly to Strats.

Strats are the swiss army knife of guitars and if you're playing different genres they can pretty much do it all.

I used the HSS configuration 5 way switched with coil splitting which enabled me to get all kinds of clean and funky tones too.

Les Pauls definitely get the job done for heavy stuff/blues and have great singing tones.  Love me some Gary Moore and Dave Meniketti growing up.

Of course you can tweak and change anything to get what you need, but Strats just make it so much easier in my opinion right out of the box.

I have a Headrush pedal board system that I had planned on trying at some live shows, but I ended up retiring from playing out for a while recently.

Now I'll just try using it for home recording.  Like the Helix you can plug it right into your PC without an interface.  

So, some sad news (at least for me. lol)  My Suhrs are now gone.  I took a bit hit in pay this year with the Covid stuff and needed to some extra money so I bit the bullet and sold them both.

They really are amazing guitars.  I will say that some people who love traditional Fenders may need some time to get used to them.  And some people who just love a vintage feel may not dig them up as much.  

The stainless steel frets definitely give them a brighter tone which may throw some people off at first.  But for anyone that isn't shy about using their tone knob wouldn't have any problems.  They're meticulous set up with low action and almost no relief.  I actually added relief and raised the action a hair.  It's was too low, and played almost too well for my liking if that makes any sense.

I'm pretty much just like you.  I'm on a HSS strat almost all of the time.  It's almost a neccessity for me because I love playing in Eb and well, there's no better guitar for that than a strat.

I'm down just an HHS USA Fender and my trusty old Les Paul which I really should play more.  
Reply/Quote
[Image: 51210469090_97701a39d2_m.jpg][Image: 51209431426_3bcf7b5507_m.jpg]

Double strat set up.  Gotta have a backup if you break a string!
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 06:52 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Les Pauls definitely get the job done for heavy stuff/blues and have great singing tones.  Love me some Gary Moore and Dave Meniketti growing up.

Same.  The neck pickup is way too muddy, the bridge pickup is way too ice picky, so you're basically stuck in the middle position and that's pretty limiting.

What is nuts or me is that I played Gibson's so long that I only liked that scale length.  Switching to Strats and Teles felt so weird to me.  Now the scale length bothers me on Les Pauls as much as the Fenders and others used to.  I actually have 10.5's on my Les Paul just to kind of compensate for the tension difference.

I will say, there is still nothing better than a Les Paul when you're using a decent amount of gain.  No matter what pickups I've tried in an HSS I can never get anywhere close to a real LP sound.  And I still think a Gibson is a superior guitar.

PS Kinda jelous about your PRS.  I guess that's kind of the best of both worlds.  You get a scale length right in between, coin splitting and a trem.  Seems like you can cover a lot of ground with that.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 08:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So, some sad news (at least for me. lol)  My Suhrs are now gone.  I took a bit hit in pay this year with the Covid stuff and needed to some extra money so I bit the bullet and sold them both.

They really are amazing guitars.  I will say that some people who love traditional Fenders may need some time to get used to them.  And some people who just love a vintage feel may not dig them up as much.  

The stainless steel frets definitely give them a brighter tone which may throw some people off at first.  But for anyone that isn't shy about using their tone knob wouldn't have any problems.  They're meticulous set up with low action and almost no relief.  I actually added relief and raised the action a hair.  It's was too low, and played almost too well for my liking if that makes any sense.

I'm pretty just like you.  I'm on a HSS strat almost all of the time.  It's almost a neccessity for me because I love playing in Eb and well, there's no better guitar for that than a strat.

I'm down just an HHS USA Fender and my trusty old Les Paul which I really should play more.  

I'm not sure if you check out "What You're Listening To Now" music thread.

I just posted some vids of Big Wreck playing at a Surh showcase from 2015.

That guy Ian Thornley is pretty damn talented.

They're definitely a better live band than on album.  More life to their music.

Anyway, back to the strats.  I have a Deluxe plus a special run Select model and they're different.

The black deluxe one has noiseless pickups in it which is nice when playing in places with varied electrical noise.

The red transparent one is a mahogany body and has Texas singles with a Diamondback humbucker.

I actually like that one better than the black strat which I mainly play.  The noiseless helps tons, but also rob you of some of the good high frequencies.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 08:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Same.  The neck pickup is way too muddy, the bridge pickup is way too ice picky, so you're basically stuck in the middle position and that's pretty limiting.

What is nuts or me is that I played Gibson's so long that I only liked that scale length.  Switching to Strats and Teles felt so weird to me.  Now the scale length bothers me on Les Pauls as much as the Fenders and others used to.  I actually have 10.5's on my Les Paul just to kind of compensate for the tension difference.

I will say, there is still nothing better than a Les Paul when you're using a decent amount of gain.  No matter what pickups I've tried in an HSS I can never get anywhere close to a real LP sound.  And I still think a Gibson is a superior guitar.

PS Kinda jelous about your PRS.  I guess that's kind of the best of both worlds.  You get a scale length right in between, coin splitting and a trem.  Seems like you can cover a lot of ground with that.

Yeah the scale on the PRS is super comfortable to play.

I also like that you can roll back the volume and cut gain without losing your high/mid/low frequencies too much.

To answer your question about the trems on those.  I wouldn't know.  I haven't used it.

I used to use trems all of the time back in the day but now I just don't gravitate to it.

I can do tricks and stuff with it and roll runs with it(like Vai does)but rather not mess with tuning stability.

Some trem on clean chords is nice but not enough to mess with it for me.
Reply/Quote

Cool  How do I do my lady whistle again on a message board? Just a beaut.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 06:52 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'd love to check out some Suhr stuff.

Gary Moore "Still Got the Blues". EPIC
Reply/Quote
I started out with some flea market special that would pretty much ruin most fingertips, but mine turned into nails for a while. Then I got my hands on some mid level acoustic box and started learning cords and made a few songs I liked. Eventually I bought a decent Fender..  Then my table saw decided to put an end to me playing guitar. I can still play it some, but no feeling in my index finger so I can't really change cords like I used to..
I might try my hand at making a guitar someday. Quite a few guys I talk with on woodworking forums make musical instruments. Been giving serious thought to a steam box for steam bending wood..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 08:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gary Moore "Still Got the Blues". EPIC

Love Gary's playing whether it be Thin Lizzy, hard rock era, or blues.

He kicks Blues in the ass just like Dave Meniketti does.  It's got bite and I love it!

Plus like Gary he has a good voice too.

Watch one of the last Gary Moore interviews.  He started dabbling in Jazz.  The guy was just amazing.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 09:14 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Love Gary's playing whether it be Thin Lizzy, hard rock era, or blues.

He kicks Blues in the ass just like Dave Meniketti does.  It's got bite and I love it!

Watch one of the last Gary Moore interviews.  He started dabbling in Jazz.  The guy was just amazing.

Love me some Gary Moore.  I got the Montreux concert DVD several years ago (I think it picked it up for a couple bucks when the Circuit City in Cincy near me closed).  Great guitarist.  

I don't have a huge guitar collection (5 of them, and 3 of those are acoustics), but of the two electrics, the strat is just always my go-to.  It's just a tacocaster (HSS) from 2002 I think, but it's always played like a dream for a guitar that probably cost $350 at the time.  Versatile for sure, but just so comfortable to play.  My one and only real beef has always been the pickup selector switch location.  Getting funky in position 4 and it's damn near impossible not to knock it out of position. 

Guy I work with just got a PRS.  He was ready to drop some serious coin and played all of the high-end models but didn't like the neck feel or whatever on any of them.  He'd grabbed an SE at some point just to try it and ended up falling in love with that one.  I need to spend some more time with PRS (I played on many years ago and didn't like it, and never tried another), and I've never gotten my hands on a Suhr but would love to! 
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 09:33 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Love me some Gary Moore.  I got the Montreux concert DVD several years ago (I think it picked it up for a couple bucks when the Circuit City in Cincy near me closed).  Great guitarist.  

I don't have a huge guitar collection (5 of them, and 3 of those are acoustics), but of the two electrics, the strat is just always my go-to.  It's just a tacocaster (HSS) from 2002 I think, but it's always played like a dream for a guitar that probably cost $350 at the time.  Versatile for sure, but just so comfortable to play.  My one and only real beef has always been the pickup selector switch location.  Getting funky in position 4 and it's damn near impossible not to knock it out of position. 

Guy I work with just got a PRS.  He was ready to drop some serious coin and played all of the high-end models but didn't like the neck feel or whatever on any of them.  He'd grabbed an SE at some point just to try it and ended up falling in love with that one.  I need to spend some more time with PRS (I played on many years ago and didn't like it, and never tried another), and I've never gotten my hands on a Suhr but would love to! 

I've got some mexi-strats too and they play great as well.

Just like any guitar... either you get it set up, or if you're lucky the action & intonation is already done well.

I have several different PRS guitars from SE to now the S2.

That red S2 I have pictured in the previous post is 24 fret with very rounded edges of the neck.

It took me a bit to get used to.  Most of my guitars have more straight edged necks. Even my other PRS guitars do.

Once I got the feel for it I don't even notice it as much.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 09:33 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Love me some Gary Moore.  I got the Montreux concert DVD several years ago

Is that the one from 1990?  That is my absolute favorite one.

Love this version of Freddie King's "The Stumble".

Reply/Quote
I just bought an acoustic guitar, gonna try and start playing again. It's been like 35-40 years, no kidding.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 09:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just bought an acoustic guitar, gonna try and start playing again. It's been like 35-40 years, no kidding.

Never too late.

There definitely are more educational tools out now than when I started.

YouTube is a blessing to learn from and with the amount of players plus accessibility to local teachers should get you moving along.

I never had a teacher worth a damn in my vicinity when I started. It took meeting other players and learning bits and pieces from them to get me going.

I guess that's why I'm more of a humble player.  My philosophy has always been that you can learn from players at all levels.  Their approach might open your eyes to something you never thought of.  That, and no matter how good you are that you're always a student.  
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 09:14 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Love Gary's playing whether it be Thin Lizzy, hard rock era, or blues.

Excellent bro, never heard of Dave Meniketti before, very clean blues man and like you said a good singer.

Joe Bonamasa is real good as well.

Gary Moore RIP    Rock On

So happy I went back 3 pages to bring back this buried beautiful thread. Wink
Reply/Quote