Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who plays music?
(05-30-2021, 10:05 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Screw the pick and your right hand.  Just play like this...

With dentures? Yeah..real cool seeing them drop inside my acoustic guitar.. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 06:46 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The song was originally called Nubbin' Man.

When Ozzy sang "I Am Nubbin' Man" the producer stopped the tape and called for a re-write.

He came back with "I Am Iron Nub" and they decided to meld the two phrases together in post production.

True story.

Now that you mention it, I think I read that on the internet before.  Since we all know that you can't lie on the internet, it must be true.

Bon Jour!
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 07:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't remember that. I just remember how outrageously expensive they were and it was much worse for a left handed guitar. Back in '84 i bought a Westone Electra, a Gorilla amp and a distortion and chorus pedal from them and thought they owed me dinner after that raping. 

LOL.  Yeah, I believe you.  If it's any consolation I'm pretty sure all stores were like that back in the day.  I know Buddy Rodgers was just as bad if not worse.

Those were the glory days of music retail (for the stores).  They just worked off of retail price.  I remember when we finally got a Guitar Center and being amazed at the prices and the selection.  I'd never seen anything like it.  I liked the place so much I ended working there for 4 years.

There's a LOT I miss about the old days.  Cincy's local music stores aren't one of them.  I do however very much miss the classified section in the Enquirer and garage sales.  Back in the day you really did have a chance of finding something unbelieveable but the internet and specifically Ebay ruined that.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 06:46 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The song was originally called Nubbin' Man.

When Ozzy sang "I Am Nubbin' Man" the producer stopped the tape and called for a re-write.

He came back with "I Am Iron Nub" and they decided to meld the two phrases together in post production.

True story.

I've legit been sitting here for the last 20 minutes after reading this comment with the Iron Man melody stuck in my head and half ass thinking about lyrics with "Nubbin Man".

I am Nubbin Man
Playing my guitar with my little nub hand

Now the time is here
To use my nubs without fear
Reply/Quote
I have a true story.

A short time after moving to Seattle I was in this musical instrument store called American Music.

This twit was playing a Marshall at deafening levels and sound like he was a pure beginner on the guitar.

I asked someone working there why they allowed this guy to crank it up like that and keep playing.

They said "hey that's the guitar player from Mudhoney" as an answer.

There were some very talented players in the Northwest and even in the grunge movement... this guy ain't one of em.

Mudhoney is on the Grunge wall exhibit of the R&R Hall of Fame.

For whatever that's worth.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 10:59 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: LOL.  Yeah, I believe you.  If it's any consolation I'm pretty sure all stores were like that back in the day.  I know Buddy Rodgers was just as bad if not worse.

Those were the glory days of music retail (for the stores).  They just worked off of retail price.  I remember when we finally got a Guitar Center and being amazed at the prices and the selection.  I'd never seen anything like it.  I liked the place so much I ended working there for 4 years.

There's a LOT I miss about the old days.  Cincy's local music stores aren't one of them.  I do however very much miss the classified section in the Enquirer and garage sales.  Back in the day you really did have a chance of finding something unbelieveable but the internet and specifically Ebay ruined that.

Yep. Scouring pawn shops was my joint. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 07:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. Scouring pawn shops was my joint. 

Any time I went out of town, be it for a day, weekend, or longer, I would hit a local pawnshop and scour the instruments they had in stock.  We found some good guitars and amps that way...
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 10:59 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: LOL.  Yeah, I believe you.  If it's any consolation I'm pretty sure all stores were like that back in the day.  I know Buddy Rodgers was just as bad if not worse.

Buddy Rogers in NCH was where I bought my first strat.  I had a few minor repairs/setups done there as well.  Expensive, but good service.  I was feeling nostalgic a few months ago and went searching for them online.  Doesn't look like they sell anything other than band instruments any more.  But lots of memories there.  

I remember when GC came to Forest Fair Mall.  But I remember more when Sam Ash opened in the early 2000s.  Got my Martin acoustic there for several hundred under MSRP, which felt like the steal of the century to me.  Plus the selection.  And back then, you could go in any large music store like that and just as easily grab a $5,000 guitar as a $200 one off the wall and play to your heart's content without someone bugging you.  The GC near me now I grab picks and strings at and every guitar over about a grand is locked up and you have to ask to touch it, and then they sit there to make sure you're careful with it.  So I've just stopped going to play and dream about new guitars for the most part unless I'm really serious about buying something.  

Craigslist and eBay had some awesome deals for a while until people wised up.  People unloaded some real quality instruments 15 years ago online for cheap because they didn't know any better.  Now everything is overpriced and people are selling fakes.  I feel like the only way to really get lucky now is estate sales, garage sales or just knowing someone that's willing to part with equipment they don't use so don't see the true value.  
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 05:51 PM)bengaloo Wrote: What do you play? What's your gear?

I play guitar. Lots of it. Country, blues, jazz and classic rock.

My main guitar is a G&L Custom Shop ASAT Classic. Also have a G&L Legacy, 2 Fender mex Strats, a Fender Modern Player Tele, 1974 Gretsch Super Chet, 1971 Martin D-28, a goofed up modded mid 90's Gibson Les Paul and a new Epiphone Les Paul plus top pro which I love. And a handful of cheap pawn shop scores in need of repair.

My amps are a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue, Fender Blues Jr III, Peavy Classic 30, Vox AC-15, brand new Fender Deluxe Tone Master, Mesa Boogie Nomad, and a weird but totally amazing mid 70's SG Systems tube amp.

Id love to hear what you all play and what gear....

My main squeeze
[Image: 73381333_10157408602431047_8740073884025...e=5F86F722]

I play guitar. I have a Gibson SG, a Gibson Les Paul, a PRS semi-hollow body, and a Fender Blacktop Strat... all go through a Mesa Boogie Mk 5. I have a small Marshall amp around here somewhere but don't use it any more. On the acoustic side I am all Taylor... Taylor 814ce, Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Taylor 516ce, Taylor 514ce FLTD and a Taylor Baby. (which I bought for my daughter)
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 09:58 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not sure how much of it he cut off, but Tony Iommi cut off the tips of multiple fingers (2 maybe?) and somehow rigged up something to put on his fingers to continue playing.

Pretty sure that's kinda how Black Sabbath got their sound too.  I think he started tuning his guitar down a step or two to compensate for this.
Phil Keaggy cut off a finger on his right hand, which when using a pick isn't that big a deal, but he is mostly a fingerstyle player. Gets it done, and makes killer use of his loopers.

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 10:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: On the acoustic side I am all Taylor... Taylor 814ce, Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Taylor 516ce, Taylor 514ce FLTD and a Taylor Baby. (which I bought for my daughter)

Hot damn, that's a helluva acoustic collection.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Phil Keaggy cut off a finger on his right hand, which when using a pick isn't that big a deal, but he is mostly a fingerstyle player. Gets it done, and makes killer use of his loopers.

One of my favorite guitarists.  Super humble, plays every style of music and plays fingerstyle better than I ever could with less fingers than me.  
Reply/Quote
Here's a question that I think everyone can relate to that been playing for a long time... Any guitars you're still kicking yourself for selling?

I may not even want to hear the answer to this from some of the guys a little older than me (Ex: I sold a pre cbs strat for 900 bucks in the 80's.)

I don't have anything that was worth crazy money that I got rid of but I've had quite a few I really wish I would kept.

-1976 Gibson Firebird with the bicentenial logo, with OHSC. I sold this for around 700 bucks to Mike's Music in the late 90's so I could buy books for school. I'm guessing it'd be worth around 5-7k today. This was my first "nice guitar". But being a 15 year old kid I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have (I didn't like the body shape then). I owned for a few years and was actually playing an Ibanez more than it. I'd love to play it now that I'm older.

-1959 Fender Musicmaster. I got this in high school from a friend for like 300 bucks and a DOD Flanger. This guitar obviously wasn't that great but it's still a 50's Fender. I have no idea what this would be worth today but I'm guessing quite a bit (5k maybe???)

-1964 Mustang. Similar to the Musicmaster, it was just a Mustang, nothing that special. But it was Pre-CBS and it was all original. Being a teen in the 90's obviously these were popular with the kids who liked Nirvana. I think I've owned 3 Mustangs at one point or another but this is the only one that I really should have kept. (The others were 70's models). I can't remember what I did with this, if I sold it or traded it, but I can almost guarantee I got less than 1k for it in the mid 90's.

-1982 Gibson Les Paul Studio Standard. This is the guitar I actually miss the most, and it's probably worth the least. This was one of the last years from Kalamazoo which was cool. And being a "Studio Standard" is was basically a standard with dot inlays and slightly thinner body. It was all orginal with Tim Shaw's which were really nice. It's the best Les Paul I've ever owned and I've own a bunch. I think I sold this for like 1,200 bucks in the early 2000's

-Suhr Classic Antique Limited Edition. I miss both my Suhrs, but I miss the "strat" a lot more than the Tele. The tele I can live without. This one however is my favorite strat style guitar I've ever owned. It was also a limited edition finish (black over sunburst) and they only made 500 total across multiple colors. I really wish I could have kept this. But I needed some money and being a bedroom player these days it doesn't make sense for me to have that expensive of a guitar.

-Fender Mustang Bass mid 70's. Thought I'd throw a bass on here. I LOVED this thing. It was short scale so it was perfect for me a guitar player. I bought it because a buddy asked me to play bass for some recordings he was doing with his band after their bass player quit. I'm far from an expert on bass but I really thought it sounded pretty good. I should've kept it. It was a blast to play.

Any of you got any guitars that got away that you wish you still had?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 10:55 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Hot damn, that's a helluva acoustic collection.

Yeah, it went kind of like this. I decided to start playing again, after not picking up a guitar since High School (I'll be 62 in a few months), so I went to Guitar Center and bought a Taylor 210ce.  I signed up for lessons at Steilberg Strings in Louisville and took them for 4 years. They are a Taylor dealer, along with Eastman, Breedlove, G&L, Maton, Furch etc. So I would go in weekly and hang out in the acoustic room while waiting for my instructor. Fell in love with the 814ce, so I bought that and consigned the 210ce. Then they got the mahogany 516ce in, and I loved the way that sounded too, so I picked it up. Then I found the 514ce FLTD at LA Guitar Sales, where they were selling it used since it was new old stock and had never been out of the case, so I got a heck of a deal on it. Then when Taylor redesigned the 600 series and put the dark stain on the maple, I picked up the 618e 1st Edition from Sweetwater. Somewhere along that line I grabbed the Baby Taylor in mahogany for my daughter to learn on. Guitar Acquisition Syndrome is a  disease...
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 11:35 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Here's a question that I think everyone can relate to that been playing for a long time...  Any guitars you're still kicking yourself for selling?

I may not even want to hear the answer to this from some of the guys a little older than me (Ex: I sold a pre cbs strat for 900 bucks in the 80's.)

I don't have anything that was worth crazy money that I got rid of but I've had quite a few I really wish I would kept.

-1976 Gibson Firebird with the bicentenial logo, with OHSC.  I sold this for around 700 bucks to Mike's Music in the late 90's so I could buy books for school.  I'm guessing it'd be worth around 5-7k today.  This was my first "nice guitar".  But being a 15 year old kid I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have (I didn't like the body shape then).  I owned for a few years and was actually playing an Ibanez more than it.  I'd love to play it now that I'm older.

-1959 Fender Musicmaster.  I got this in high school from a friend for like 300 bucks and a DOD Flanger.  This guitar obviously wasn't that great but it's still a 50's Fender.  I have no idea what this would be worth today but I'm guessing quite a bit (5k maybe???)

-1964 Mustang.  Similar to the Musicmaster, it was just a Mustang, nothing that special.  But it was Pre-CBS and it was all original.  Being a teen in the 90's obviously these were popular with the kids who liked Nirvana.  I think I've owned 3 Mustangs at one point or another but this is the only one that I really should have kept.  (The others were 70's models).  I can't remember what I did with this, if I sold it or traded it, but I can almost guarantee I got less than 1k for it in the mid 90's.

-1982 Gibson Les Paul Studio Standard.  This is the guitar I actually miss the most, and it's probably worth the least.  This was one of the last years from Kalamazoo which was cool.  And being a "Studio Standard" is was basically a standard with dot inlays and slightly thinner body.  It was all orginal with Tim Shaw's which were really nice.  It's the best Les Paul I've ever owned and I've own a bunch.  I think I sold this for like 1,200 bucks in the early 2000's

-Suhr Classic Antique Limited Edition.  I miss both my Suhrs, but I miss the "strat" a lot more than the Tele.  The tele I can live without.  This one however is my favorite strat style guitar I've ever owned.  It was also a limited edition finish (black over sunburst) and they only made 500 total across multiple colors.  I really wish I could have kept this.  But I needed some money and being a bedroom player these days it doesn't make sense for me to have that expensive of a guitar.

-Fender Mustang Bass mid 70's.  Thought I'd throw a bass on here.  I LOVED this thing.  It was short scale so it was perfect for me a guitar player.  I bought it because a buddy asked me to play bass for some recordings he was doing with his band after their bass player quit.  I'm far from an expert on bass but I really thought it sounded pretty good.  I should've kept it.  It was a blast to play.

My collection has never been that big that I've sold off extras.  BUT, my neighbors growing up tossed a guitar out in the trash by the street my brother brought home.  I looked at it and thought "meh" because it didn't have a name brand I recognized (no name at all, actually, so I assumed it was just a kit guitar) and told him he could do whatever he wanted with it.  He shoved in a closet and several years later he told me he'd figured out it was an old Teisco electric.  Neck and body were in great shape, it just needed some updated electronics after years of non-use (just the pots, the Spectrum pickups still worked great).  Those sell for anywhere between $600-1,500 online when I've seen them.  Would've been a cool vintage piece more than something extremely valuable, but I just had zero idea.  

I'm also still mad about a late-70s Ibanez Iceman I found for sale while I was in college.  The guy was moving and broke and willing to unload the guitar and case for $75 because he'd inherited it, didn't care about it and wanted cash over lugging around a guitar he wouldn't use.  But I was interning at a music studio and we had a session so I couldn't drive the hour to pick it up and he sold it to someone else.  
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 10:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I play guitar. I have a Gibson SG, a Gibson Les Paul, a PRS semi-hollow body, and a Fender Blacktop Strat... all go through a Mesa Boogie Mk 5. I have a small Marshall amp around here somewhere but don't use it any more. On the acoustic side I am all Taylor... Taylor 814ce, Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Taylor 516ce, Taylor 514ce FLTD and a Taylor Baby. (which I bought for my daughter)

Like Wes said... man that's a helluva acoustic collection.

I really lack in that department.  My acoustics are Takamine.  I have a Santa Fe TSF40C model and another mid-tier one.

I have an old 80s model Washburn that has pretty good tone.  I don't know the model off hand at the moment.

They play pretty easily, but I definitely could use an upgrade.

I was looking at Taylors but nothing in the price range some of the ones you got!  Probably $1,500 - $2,200 range max.

So how do you like the Mark V?

I bought a combo Mark V from Sweetwater a couple years back, and thought it had some great sounds but wasn't what I was looking for.

I sent it back, because for the price tag...  I wasn't in love with it.

Maybe I should have gotten the head and a 2x12 cab?

Actually the amp I'd like to give a try is a Bogner Shiva.  Ever try one of those?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 11:35 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Here's a question that I think everyone can relate to that been playing for a long time...  Any guitars you're still kicking yourself for selling?

-1976 Gibson Firebird with the bicentenial logo, with OHSC.  I sold this for around 700 bucks to Mike's Music in the late 90's so I could buy books for school.  I'm guessing it'd be worth around 5-7k today.  This was my first "nice guitar".  But being a 15 year old kid I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have (I didn't like the body shape then).  I owned for a few years and was actually playing an Ibanez more than it.  I'd love to play it now that I'm older.

-1959 Fender Musicmaster.  I got this in high school from a friend for like 300 bucks and a DOD Flanger.  This guitar obviously wasn't that great but it's still a 50's Fender.  I have no idea what this would be worth today but I'm guessing quite a bit (5k maybe???)

-1964 Mustang.  Similar to the Musicmaster, it was just a Mustang, nothing that special.  But it was Pre-CBS and it was all original.  Being a teen in the 90's obviously these were popular with the kids who liked Nirvana.  I think I've owned 3 Mustangs at one point or another but this is the only one that I really should have kept.  (The others were 70's models).  I can't remember what I did with this, if I sold it or traded it, but I can almost guarantee I got less than 1k for it in the mid 90's.

-1982 Gibson Les Paul Studio Standard.  This is the guitar I actually miss the most, and it's probably worth the least.  This was one of the last years from Kalamazoo which was cool.  And being a "Studio Standard" is was basically a standard with dot inlays and slightly thinner body.  It was all orginal with Tim Shaw's which were really nice.  It's the best Les Paul I've ever owned and I've own a bunch.  I think I sold this for like 1,200 bucks in the early 2000's

-Suhr Classic Antique Limited Edition.  I miss both my Suhrs, but I miss the "strat" a lot more than the Tele.  The tele I can live without.  This one however is my favorite strat style guitar I've ever owned.  It was also a limited edition finish (black over sunburst) and they only made 500 total across multiple colors.  I really wish I could have kept this.  But I needed some money and being a bedroom player these days it doesn't make sense for me to have that expensive of a guitar.

-Fender Mustang Bass mid 70's.  Thought I'd throw a bass on here.  I LOVED this thing.  It was short scale so it was perfect for me a guitar player.  I bought it because a buddy asked me to play bass for some recordings he was doing with his band after their bass player quit.  I'm far from an expert on bass but I really thought it sounded pretty good.  I should've kept it.  It was a blast to play.

I currently own a bunch of guitars but nothing of extraordinarily high value or classic vintage desirable type.

Pretty much hung onto most of my gear.

The only "rare" instrument I own is an Ibanez Voyager, which might get you laughed at, depending on who you tell.

It was one of Reb Beach's model guitars.  They're pretty hard to find in decent condition. 

You'd either find it domestically in terrible/modified shape or have to order it from an overseas seller.

The thing plays real easy (wizard neck) and the pickups are pretty decent.

I used to own a Carvin double-neck guitar that I sold back in the late 90s.  Don't miss it though.  Smirk

Lugging that thing around in giant flight case was a pain in the ass.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 08:53 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Like Wes said... man that's a helluva acoustic collection.

I really lack in that department.  My acoustics are Takamine.  I have a Santa Fe TSF40C model and another mid-tier one.

I have an old 80s model Washburn that has pretty good tone.  I don't know the model off hand at the moment.

They play pretty easily, but I definitely could use an upgrade.

I was looking at Taylors but nothing in the price range some of the ones you got!  Probably $1,500 - $2,200 range max.

So how do you like the Mark V?

I bought a combo Mark V from Sweetwater a couple years back, and thought it had some great sounds but wasn't what I was looking for.

I sent it back, because for the price tag...  I wasn't in love with it.

Maybe I should have gotten the head and a 2x12 cab?

Actually the amp I'd like to give a try is a Bogner Shiva.  Ever try one of those?

Takamine acoustics are probably some of the best sounding when plugged in acoustics around.  My Mk5 is the 10/45/90 combo amp, and I love it. I really only use the clean channel because I play through a pretty extensive pedal board. (I'm a gear junkie and in reality have way more gear than talent) I also got mine from Sweetwater. It was a return, so it was deeply discounted. I asked my rep what was wrong with it and he looked it over and said the only thing he could see was a small scratch on the faceplate. When I got it, I could not see any scratch, but the reverb did not work. I unplugged and reversed the 2 wires in the back and it works perfectly. (Evidently they got pulled out and someone put them back in backwards. Never had a bit of problem with it and still don't see any scratch) I've never tried the Bogner Shiva. I think if I ever get another amp I would like to try a VOX
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 10:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I play guitar. I have a Gibson SG, a Gibson Les Paul, a PRS semi-hollow body, and a Fender Blacktop Strat... all go through a Mesa Boogie Mk 5. I have a small Marshall amp around here somewhere but don't use it any more. On the acoustic side I am all Taylor... Taylor 814ce, Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Taylor 516ce, Taylor 514ce FLTD and a Taylor Baby. (which I bought for my daughter)

That is a great lineup for guitars! And the Mesa Mark 5s are super sweet sounding amps. The only time I heard one in person, the tone sucked me in and I had to get close enough to look and see what amp the guy was using. It was a mark 5. Excellent tones. 
Reply/Quote

That is sweet Sled. A lot of Taylor's lol

What year is your Les Paul? PRS are fun to play, just too expensive for me at the moment, same with authentic Les Paul's.
Reply/Quote