Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who's Going to Cover Antonio Brown?
Adam missing two years is a great argument for why he has less wear and tear than other CB's his age, i agree.

Also never had the bad injuries like a Corner like Hall did...
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 10:42 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You don't give a guy three years and $20 million to immediately relegate him to a special teams role.  Once he starts to decline, then maybe you have that discussion.  Until then he plays corner.

Bingo. Pacman's deal tells us that he's not going to be an exclusive KR/PR this year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 10:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: Nope....not really, you have Darrell Green, Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, and that's just off the top of my head, I am sure there are others.  That said, you notice a common theme here?  Returners/DBs.  Who says PacMan can't keep it going?  Hell, he missed two years, these guys never had that luxury.

Darryl Green played until he was 42 and late into his 30's, he was still the fastest man in the league.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
You use the best you have, currently that is Jones, until otherwise proven.
It'd be awesome if the young guys could play now at the same level that Adam is playing at, but it's not likely to happen before we meet up with the Steelers the first time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 04:19 PM)McC Wrote: Darryl Green played until he was 42 and late into his 30's, he was still the fastest man in the league.

Yes indeed.....didn't he take his first ever punt return to the house?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 01:06 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Mike Haynes, Champ Bailey, Lester Hayes..........

(06-28-2016, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Terrence Newman, Terrell Buckley, Revis is 30.....

(06-28-2016, 04:19 PM)McC Wrote: Darryl Green played until he was 42 and late into his 30's, he was still the fastest man in the league.

All names that popped into my head, when I read Brad's post about Jones "getting up there in age".  Heck, even Deion Sanders played until he was what 38 or 39?  Genetically gifted athletes bodies don't age at the same rate as regular human beings.  I would say that Adam Jones falls into that "genetically gifted" category.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 05:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: All names that popped into my head, when I read Brad's post about Jones "getting up there in age".  Heck, even Deion Sanders played until he was what 38 or 39?  Genetically gifted athletes bodies don't age at the same rate as regular human beings.  I would say that Adam Jones falls into that "genetically gifted" category.

I agree, but Deion never liked to tackle either. Adam is a willing tackler, not saying he will or will not last until
he is 38. Deion did play baseball as well though which says even more about what he did. That should take a
major toll on a body playing 2 professional sports.

Lot of proof in this thread that Secondary players can play to an older age for sure.
Reply/Quote
Adam Jones will play for a while because of the work he puts in taking care of his body. He consistently puts out his workout vids all year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 10:47 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Nope....not really, you have Darrell Green, Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, and that's just off the top of my head, I am sure there are others.  That said, you notice a common theme here?  Returners/DBs.  Who says PacMan can't keep it going?  Hell, he missed two years, these guys never had that luxury.

Oh, now I have back-up...lol
Tongue

I was trying to bring Brad to the realization, without arguing.
Wink
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 09:46 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Oh, now I have back-up...lol
Tongue

I was trying to bring Brad to the realization, without arguing.
Wink

Sometimes you have to walk on egg shells around here.  But I think this thread shows, as Nate stated, that DB's can perform at pretty high levels past the "33 year old senior citizen" stereotype.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 10:23 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Sometimes you have to walk on egg shells around here.  But I think this thread shows, as Nate stated, that DB's can perform at pretty high levels past the "33 year old senior citizen" stereotype.

You realize you just made someone make this face, right ?

[Image: st-wrath-khan-dir-cut-650.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 11:25 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: You realize you just made someone make this face, right ?

[Image: st-wrath-khan-dir-cut-650.jpg]

Hilarious   Yeah, I know!
Reply/Quote
If we can get 1-2 more years with minimal drop-off from Adam, I'd be ecstatic!

Reply/Quote
The more I think about this, the more I do want Jones covering Brown and any other big-time receivers we face.

I do, however, hope that we can hold them to three-and-outs or only one or two first downs so Marvin would still be ok with Adam returning punts.

Maybe we'll cut Tate (finally) and get some production from our young guys, but I still think Adam's dangerous any time he returns a punt and that he should get some opportunities this season.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 03:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The more I think about this, the more I do want Jones covering Brown and any other big-time receivers we face.  

I do, however, hope that we can hold them to three-and-outs or only one or two first downs so Marvin would still be ok with Adam returning punts.

Maybe we'll cut Tate (finally) and get some production from our young guys, but I still think Adam's dangerous any time he returns a punt and that he should get some opportunities this season.

Now yer coming around..... Smirk

You'll see no qualms from anyone here that Pac is lethal returning kicks, it's just he is so disruptive in the secondary, you can't afford to have this playmaker on the sidelines while the defense is on the field.  Taint should absolutely be cut, imo.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Why don't they give Gio a look at returning kicks and punts?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 03:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The more I think about this, the more I do want Jones covering Brown and any other big-time receivers we face.  

Now this I can agree with.  And for god's sake I'm being serious Brad. Just as long as Jones isn't the only KR/PR option.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 05:17 PM)jason Wrote: Why don't they give Gio a look at returning kicks and punts?

Not a bad idea.  Wonder why they haven't?  Or maybe they have and we just don't know it.  But one would think he'd be pretty good.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 05:25 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Not a bad idea.  Wonder why they haven't?  Or maybe they have and we just don't know it.  But one would think he'd be pretty good.

I think that it has to do with a lack of desire to be the return man.  To my way of thinking, in order to be a good return man, one has to really, really want to be a good return man.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 07:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that it has to do with a lack of desire to be the return man.  To my way of thinking, in order to be a good return man, one has to really, really want to be a good return man.

Makes sense.
Reply/Quote