Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who's Going to Cover Antonio Brown?
(06-24-2016, 12:29 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Hey all - remember that Paulie G. plays halves of field, so odds are both guys will get their shot at Brown because of that. Jones won't "travel." But in reality, even with Bryant out, they'd probably prefer to match him up inside with Dennard and/or a linebacker out of the slot -- regardless of who they throw out there on the outside.

This is what I was going to say. If AB lines up on the right side of our D it'll be PacMan, if he lines up on the left it will be Dre, If he's in the slot it'll be Dennard.

I just think we'll roll coverage to the left when he's lined up there.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jones, Dre, Dennard, Iloka, and Williams.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 03:57 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Jones, Dre, Dennard, Iloka, and Williams.

I just hope that quintuple team doesn't leave any of their other options open!
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2016, 08:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think Jones has been our best lock-down man corner, but he's getting up there in age and I'd like him strictly on return duties because I think he's a difference-maker there.

So... just to make sure I'm following... you'd prefer to take our best corner last season and relegate him to a special teams role?
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 04:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I just hope that quintuple team doesn't leave any of their other options open!

[Image: wp2fVNT.gif]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 04:13 PM)Benton Wrote: So... just to make sure I'm following... you'd prefer to take our best corner last season and relegate him to a special teams role?

That's what he said.  Thank god he's not a coach.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 04:13 PM)Benton Wrote: So... just to make sure I'm following... you'd prefer to take our best corner last season and relegate him to a special teams role?
He'll be 33 a few weeks into the season.  You think he'll be as good this season?

We were 10th in sacks this year, and that number should only improve with Peko seeing less snaps and guys like Billings playing more, which a pass rush will make the lives of the DBs a lot easier, especially since the Steelers' line is so horrible.  

We have young corners that need to earn their stripes and get on the field, which they look promising.

With him aging and having young corners that can step-in, the difference he makes in the return game would outweigh the difference he would make covering Brown (assuming the young guys can do an adequate job).

If it's not working, switch it back at halftime or even any point during the game.
(06-24-2016, 07:22 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: That's what he said.  Thank god he's not a coach.

You're a complete troll.

Blows me away that people still read your posts like they have any value.

Please, argue against the points I made above.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 04:13 PM)Benton Wrote: you'd prefer to take our best corner last season and relegate him to a special teams role?

(06-24-2016, 10:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Please, argue against the points I made above.

Basically this,what Benton has pointed out:  We've gotta use what has worked until we know that something else is better.
Reply/Quote
Dennard.
I think he shines this year.
Also, it's very possible that Shawn Williams lays Brown out (with a legal hit, of course).
Reply/Quote
Wow..so quick to look at Adam Jones date of birth and write him off.. I'm not writing him off one tiny bit and think he's got plenty left in the tank. If anything I think Jones has yet to peak..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Sometimes statements on here make me just shake my head I bewilderment. Take our #1 Corner, who is playing the best football of his career, relegate him to special teams, and put a rookie on the opposing teams #1 receiver. Brilliant!!!! (I wonder why Paulie didn't think of that)
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 10:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You're a complete troll.

Blows me away that people still read your posts like they have any value.

Please, argue against the points I made above.

Well, then there's a lot of "trolls" in this thread, because everyone else thinks it's a bad idea to use Jones only on special teams.  Plus I've learned that if I don't (or almost anyone), doesn't agree with you, then you start hurling insults.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 07:22 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: That's what he said.  Thank god he's not a coach.

(06-25-2016, 11:45 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Well, then there's a lot of "trolls" in this thread, because everyone else thinks it's a bad idea to use Jones only on special teams.  Plus I've learned that if I don't (or almost anyone), doesn't agree with you, then you start hurling insults.

[Image: Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg]

You hurl an insult towards me and then accuse me of doing it in the very next post.

Rolleyes

Not everyone in this thread disagreed with me, but good exaggeration in order to hurl another insult at me.

If our young guys are coming along, then Jones being a threat to take one to the house on returns might make it worth it to see.  You could also switch Jones back on him if the other guys are struggling, which you also ignored, along with all of my other points.

Or it might be a better idea to keep Jones on him.  Thats' why I started the thread- to discuss it.
Reply/Quote
Whoever covered him in the playoff game. He didn't do squat in that game except get knocked out!
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2016, 12:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: [Image: Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg]

You hurl an insult towards me and then accuse me of doing it in the very next post.

Rolleyes

Not everyone in this thread disagreed with me, but good exaggeration in order to hurl another insult at me.

If our young guys are coming along, then Jones being a threat to take one to the house on returns might make it worth it to see.  You could also switch Jones back on him if the other guys are struggling, which you also ignored, along with all of my other points.

Or it might be a better idea to keep Jones on him.  Thats' why I started the thread- to discuss it.
Okay.  Thanks for setting me straight, buddy.   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2016, 06:12 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Okay.  Thanks for setting me straight, buddy.   ThumbsUp

Once again, you have no response but just offer more insults like you're too good to answer.

It also speaks volumes how you had no answer to my points on the topic of this thread in that post, either.

Good for you  ThumbsUp  
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2016, 06:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Once again, you have no response but just offer more insults like you're too good to answer.

It also speaks volumes how you had no answer to my points on the topic of this thread in that post, either.

Good for you  ThumbsUp  

Why don't you try arguing with one of the others in this thread who disagreed with your OP?  You want answers to your points?  Here's my answer; your idea is absurd.  IMO Jones is our best cover corner, and to relegate him to returning kicks and nothing else is downright silly.  And I'm NOT the only one who points this out here.  Read back through this thread.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2016, 10:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Sometimes statements on here make me just shake my head I bewilderment. Take our #1 Corner, who is playing the best football of his career, relegate him to special teams, and put a rookie on the opposing teams #1 receiver. Brilliant!!!! (I wonder why Paulie didn't think of that)

rep
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2016, 07:29 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote:  

Why don't you try arguing with one of the others in this thread who disagreed with your OP?  You want answers to your points?  Here's my answer; your idea is absurd.  IMO Jones is our best cover corner, and to relegate him to returning kicks and nothing else is downright silly.  And I'm NOT the only one who points this out here.  Read back through this thread.

Exactly, why miss the opportunity to watch him pick6?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2016, 07:29 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote:  

Why don't you address any of my other points?

Other people disagreed but they don't have a track record of posting stupid comments just to hate.

Also, as I pointed out, you could put him back on Brown if someone else struggled, even after one series.  You're not the only one who ignored that point.

How do we know that WJIII or Dennard or anyone else isn't having a great preseason and wouldn't do better locking AB down?

His ability to set-up our offense offense with field position or even put points on the board could be a difference in the game that's not matched by the difference between him and someone else on AB.
Reply/Quote