Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's our Quarterback in 2018?
According to this speculative ESPN article, that could be a question we're asking at the end of the season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21286767/aj-mccarron-files-grievance-vs-cincinnati-bengals-wants-unrestricted-free-agent-2018
Reply/Quote
The biggest gamble, yet biggest possible pay off would be to sign McCarron to a reasonable deal and move Dalton for a bunch of picks. Would depend if Brown considers the team in rebuild mode after this ywar
Reply/Quote
Wasn't Gruden the one who really pushed for Dalton? If Cousins leaves Washington it would be interesting to see if he tries to bring 14 down there.

With this supposedly being one of the best QB drafts since the 80's it could be a good chance to grab one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Its going to come down to league doctors vs Bengals doctors, and who's opinion is more valid. They said he was healthy, we say he wasn't. I think you can guess which way this is going to go based on the quacks that Mike Brown is employing.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm a Dalton fan but this offseason would be the one to deal him. The draft seems stocked full of some decent QB talent (huge reason I thought it funny that SF and Cleveland wanted Jimmy and AJ at all). Darnold, Rosen, Faulk, Rudolph, Mayfield, Allen.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I dont think there is any doubt it will be Dalton. If the coaches thought McCarron was the answer, there would be no way they would have been willing to trade him to a division rival.
Reply/Quote
I struggle dealing either Dalton or AJ to any AFCN team. Knowing our history and our luck, it would definitely come back to bite us twice a year. Bengals have a dark cloud that follows them everywhere. When you triple up the fact that the coaches suck and the owner sucks? Wouldn't bode well for the future of the franchise.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 02:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wasn't Gruden the one who really pushed for Dalton? If Cousins leaves Washington it would be interesting to see if he tries to bring 14 down there.

With this supposedly being one of the best QB drafts since the 80's it could be a good chance to grab one.

Choose wisely, the 2015 draft was allegedly well stocked with Offensive Tackles..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 09:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Choose wisely, the 2015 draft was allegedly well stocked with Offensive Tackles..

Very good point. Add that to our capability to coach these players up to the next level? Well, any player that comes here leans on the side of bust!

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:54 AM)kacymcbryant18 Wrote: According to this speculative ESPN article, that could be a question we're asking at the end of the season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21286767/aj-mccarron-files-grievance-vs-cincinnati-bengals-wants-unrestricted-free-agent-2018

Be careful, the grass isn't always greener.

As Bill Polian recently said, the biggest mistake he made in his career was selecting Andrew Luck in RD1 and not Andy Dalton.  He said had he taken Dalton he'd still be employed.
Reply/Quote
I'd love for them to draft Josh Allen, since he could be there when it comes time for our pick. It kinda sucks that the league is pretty mediocre this year though, because there are 2 good tackles who will probably be gone before we even get a chance.
Reply/Quote
As you all know we've been on this grievance since February. Old news some national types are "just discovering."
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Dalton !

No doubt in my mind.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 02:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wasn't Gruden the one who really pushed for Dalton? If Cousins leaves Washington it would be interesting to see if he tries to bring 14 down there.

In 2011 Gruden stated they asked AJ Green which guy he wanted them to draft to throw him the ball.  Green said Dalton.  AJ was asked about it and gave the same story.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 09:56 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Very good point. Add that to our capability to coach these players up to the next level? Well, any player that comes here leans on the side of bust!

At one point in time, both Marvin and Alexander were good coaches.  However, the NFL is ever evolving, changing at a faster pace than in previous generations.  I'll give an example to illustrate what I'm talking about.  Remember when the Wildcat was killing defenses?  How, when Miami looked to be unstoppable running it?  How long did it take for innovative defensive coordinators to study it, and devise schemes to stonewall it?  About what, 6-8 weeks?

The point I'm trying to make is that guys like Marvin and Alexander don't innovate as the NFL does.  They have become stagnant, and so has the team.  They continue to build and plan a team for a style that was effective in one snapshot in time.  If you look at our offenses in recent years, they have been most productive being run by innovative OCs like Gruden and Jackson, who were both open to running something different, when what was working grew stale.  The same applies with our OL.  Alexander keeps trying to run a zone blocking scheme, that was make prolific by just a couple of coaches, about 20 years ago.  That is a long time to be attempting to push square pegs through round holes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd say the only way Dalton isn't our starting QB is if he gets injured.

It won't be McCarron. They would have made the move by now if that was the case.

IF for some reason we ended up with a Top 5 pick...that could change things...but I don't see that happening.
Reply/Quote
If McCarron were our QB, he would be playing now. Barring injury Andy Dalton is our QB next year

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I really think McCarron won't win his case, and the Bengals trade him in the offseason and Roll with Dalton and Driskoll
Reply/Quote
Depends if Andy gets out of this season in one piece - seriously, with this line he's liable to be crippled at any time.

Joke Fisher and NoWayHe = worst bookend OT's in the league - complete pusses.
Reply/Quote
Dalton is going to be our QB next year and for a long time. As someone mentioned, if the Bengals were sold on Mac and thought he was better, they wouldn't be trying to trade him at all...let alone to a division rival.

I could almost get on board with trading Dalton and drafting a guy if I knew that QB would become elite, but (a) no guarantee that the new guy will be better than Dalton or even as good and (b) if we spend our 1st on a QB, we're not spending it on o-line. We desperately need o-line help. Fire Marv, fire Paul Alexander, fix the o-line and try again with Dalton. That's probably the smart move.

We've got to stop this thought process that everything is the QB's fault. PFF ranks Dalton 11th for his performance this year. QB is not the problem here. Don't fix what ain't broken.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote