Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who should be Bengals next Head Coach?!
(11-24-2017, 03:56 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Just out of curiousity, for those advocating white coaches, who do you think will be the token black guy Mike Brown interviews to fulfill the NFL's racist Rooney rule?

Ninja

Hue Jackson, Duh...  Ninja

(11-24-2017, 05:01 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Not sure the reasoning behind this question. 

(11-24-2017, 05:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I thought it fairly obvious: systemic racism needs to be eradicated in America. I mean, how much more obvious can I be? Mellow

(11-24-2017, 05:41 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: So are you saying that the NFL rule of interviewing a minority contributes to this?  You claim token interview yet we've had an african american head coach for the last 15 seasons.

(11-24-2017, 06:17 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Agreed. The guy brought it up out of nowhere and makes no sense even when he speaks about it.

(11-24-2017, 08:27 PM)Beaker Wrote: Then your question is racist since the skin color of the candidates should play no part in their qualification.

I think what Phil was trying to draw attention to is that the Rooney Rule may be something that's time has come to pass.  When the rule was first brought about, many coaches of color were being overlooked because of their ethnicity.  Now, in this day and age, the barriers have been eliminated, thus eliminating the need for such a rule.

Think about it, granting a man an interview based upon the color of his skin, rather than based upon the merits of his resume, is a bit patronizing in this day and age.

With that said, let's please put this topic to rest in this thread.  If someone wants to start a thread about it in Around the NFL, or even in P&R, that is perfectly fine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 05:39 PM)jason Wrote: Bite your tongue !!!!!!

But I agree. Boomer saying publicly that there were no potential HCs on board only made Mike Brown more determined to prove him wrong... And fail.

Boomer was on the pick six podcast and she’d some light on his comments. Plus Prisco, LaCanfora, and Bronson chime in as well at the beginning about where the team is heading.

Worth a listen .
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 12:18 AM)Utts Wrote: No A-List coach is going to take this job, unless the Bengals make significant changes, and give he new guy broad control over things.

Disagree
1) Mike Brown honors coaching contracts which means anyone new will have at least 3 years to make an impact
2) Andy is a proven productive QB...maybe not in the long run but will do until we can find the next dude (replacing him is not an emergency)
3) AJ Green proven star; Joe Mixon up and coming; Gio is stable producer; Tyler Kroft improving with each game
4) Proven core on defense
5) from what I read in outside press..Duke Tobin is well respected..maximizing his limited staff
6) Mike Brown may not be the best owner in the league but he's not disfunctional (see Irsay) and is transitioning over to Katie and Co.
7) Hopeful but low expectations from fans and without the glare of national media over every move

So whoever comes in will have time, a core group of solid players to build around in.  This isn't a total rebuild

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Key thing is about respect. And also keeping players out of trouble. As Bengals when they are great on the field at times. It has been on and off during the Lewis era. But now it is about keeping the players off the field out of trouble and headlines.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
Who should it be? I have no idea. There will be plenty of good options. Who will it be? Someone from inside the organization. I’m guessing it will be Paul Alexander, at which time, I will drop my season tickets after 30+ years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Josh McDaniels as head coach with Tony Romo as OC. Vance as DC if he is fired in Denver.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 11:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Josh McDaniels as head coach with Tony Romo as OC.  Vance as DC if he is fired in Denver.

^^^ Oh this!!!!!
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 11:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Josh McDaniels as head coach with Tony Romo as OC.  Vance as DC if he is fired in Denver.

Why would we want anotherer guy who chokes in big moments?(Tomo) and can't win more than 2 playoff wins in 10 years? 
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 12:26 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Why would we want anotherer guy who chokes in big moments?(Tomo) and can't win more than 2 playoff wins in 10 years? 

Still 2 more than we've had....  Whatever

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Romo would be crazy to leave the booth to take a OC job. He’s got a great gig.

Reply/Quote
You guys are all picking coaches who come from teams with good HC's and actual systems, other coaches that are good, and that have great personnel departments. They won't have those luxuries here.

Look for a coach that inherited a trainwreck and turned it around...

Like how hard is it to be the OC of the Patriots? Belicheck is a great HC. They have a great personnel department. A HOF quarterback. They sign free agents that come in and overperform. McDaniels went to Denver and sucked when he had none of those things.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 01:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You guys are all picking coaches who come from teams with good HC's and actual systems, other coaches that are good, and that have great personnel departments. They won't have those luxuries here.

Look for a coach that inherited a trainwreck and turned it around...

Like how hard is it to be the OC of the Patriots? Belicheck is a great HC. They have a great personnel department. A HOF quarterback. They sign free agents that come in and overperform. McDaniels went to Denver and sucked when he had none of those things.

that is why hue makes the most mike brown sense to me. my money is on hue. there is no one else that mikey will hire outside this organization besides hue and that's the real answer to the HC.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 10:42 PM)bjf123 Wrote: Who should it be?  I have no idea.  There will be plenty of good options.  Who will it be? Someone from inside the organization. I’m guessing it will be Paul Alexander, at which time, I will drop my season tickets after 30+ years.

Holy hell. Could you imagine the reaction throughout Bengals nation if Paul Alexander was announced as the next head coach? That would be the equivalent of Mike giving two great big middle fingers to the fan base.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 10:23 PM)pally Wrote: Disagree
1) Mike Brown honors coaching contracts which means anyone new will have at least 3 years to make an impact
2) Andy is a proven productive QB...maybe not in the long run but will do until we can find the next dude (replacing him is not an emergency)
3) AJ Green proven star; Joe Mixon up and coming; Gio is stable producer; Tyler Kroft improving with each game
4) Proven core on defense
5) from what I read in outside press..Duke Tobin is well respected..maximizing his limited staff
6) Mike Brown may not be the best owner in the league but he's not disfunctional (see Irsay) and is transitioning over to Katie and Co.
7) Hopeful but low expectations from fans and without the glare of national media over every move

So whoever comes in will have time, a core group of solid players to build around in.  This isn't a total rebuild

And here are my counter points on why I disagree with your disagreement...

1.) Mike Brown

3.) Mixon has a 2.9 YPC, Kroft is on pace to be under 500 yards on the year.

4.) That proven core is gone in another year. Atkins and Dunlap are both FA after the '18 season. You remove them from this already meh defense and it'll be a disaster.

5.) Tobin hasn't had a good draft in years.

6.) Mike Brown isn't dysfunctional? The guy has been owner for 26 years and hasn't won a single playoff game. He's had TWO franchise QBs quit on him and he's working hard on his third with this garbage OL.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - -

(11-24-2017, 10:42 PM)b jf123 Wrote: Who should it be?  I have no idea.  There will be plenty of good options.  Who will it be? Someone from inside the organization. I’m guessing it will be Paul Alexander, at which time, I will drop my season tickets after 30+ years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll call your bluff, sir.

If you kept your tickets through all of Mike Brown's "reign"... kept it through the 90s, kept it after '10, after '13, and after '15.... you'll make noise about not doing it when Alexander is announced HC but end up folding because after 30+ years of season tickets, you must love/crave the punishment. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 03:56 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Just out of curiousity, for those advocating white coaches, who do you think will be the token black guy Mike Brown interviews to fulfill the NFL's racist Rooney rule?

Ninja

Larvin Mewis? Die his hair, grow a beard, change the pitch of his voice and PRESTO! Our mew Cead Hoach ..   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Not that I'm predicting it, but it would be interesting if Alexander was named HC and we won the SB under him..You just never know.. 
Check that.. We do know.. He'd probably name Bodine as starting QB.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 11:01 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Holy hell. Could you imagine the reaction throughout Bengals nation if Paul Alexander was announced as the next head coach? That would be the equivalent of Mike giving two great big middle fingers to the fan base.  Mellow

But it would mean a new line coach, which is what the masses seem to want most of all!
Reply/Quote
"Walk by faith, not by Sight"
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 01:44 AM)WildCat Wrote: that is why hue makes the most mike brown sense to me. my money is on hue. there is no one else that mikey will hire outside this organization besides hue and that's the real answer to the HC.

Hue and Guenther are the easy hires. MB knows they will work well with him. Hue won't want a ton of control.

I just don't think they're good hires.

Jackson's best season with a HC was 8-8 with the Raiders. They started out great that year then Campbell went down and they traded for Palmer and tanked.

He was then 1-14
This year he's 0-10.

IF the Browns go 0-16 there is no way you can hire him as our coach next year. That said, Brown might.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 01:19 PM)grampahol Wrote: Not that I'm predicting it, but it would be interesting if Alexander was named HC and we won the SB under him..You just never know.. 
Check that.. We do know.. He'd probably name Bodine as starting QB.. 

So I'd NEVER hire Alexander...but just because a coach is a good position coach doesn't mean it translates well to a HC. It's a totally different skillset.

There could be a position coach out there somewhere that doesn't have talented players at his position that coaches his guys up and has a lot of the traits needed to be a great HC.

Heck Cowher was a special teams coach.

I think Cooter for the Lions is interesting. The Lions are about as poorly managed as the Bengals and he generally gets god results there.
Reply/Quote