Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who should be Bengals next Head Coach?!
(11-24-2017, 09:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hue Jackson, Duh...  Ninja

I think what Phil was trying to draw attention to is that the Rooney Rule may be something that's time has come to pass.  When the rule was first brought about, many coaches of color were being overlooked because of their ethnicity.  Now, in this day and age, the barriers have been eliminated, thus eliminating the need for such a rule.

Think about it, granting a man an interview based upon the color of his skin, rather than based upon the merits of his resume, is a bit patronizing in this day and age.

With that said, let's please put this topic to rest in this thread.  If someone wants to start a thread about it in Around the NFL, or even in P&R, that is perfectly fine.

I don't really want to turn this thread into this discussion, i just want to point out that Phil asked "for those of you advocating white coaches", which means, he's not talking about the Rooney rule, he's asking about the lack of advocating a minority coach--other than Shaw who was mentioned. 

The ninja means he's not being completely serious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 11:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Honestly I'm at the point where I really don't care as long as there's change.

The main thing I want is sweeping changes, I'd love to see Both Marvin and Paul Alexander and the lion's share of the rest of the gang gone !

And I don't want for sure no how, no way, any current or even past Bengal coaches promoted or hired except for Zimmer which ain't happening.

We really need a complete culture change ! Letting Marvin walk, keeping the majority of the staff (especially PA) in place and hiring a new HC basically does nothing !

But like you say set your sights low. We'll probably end up with Hue Jackson

Absolutely spot on! Cry
Reply/Quote
Dennis Allen.
Reply/Quote
Bobby Knight
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 01:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I'd NEVER hire Alexander...but just because a coach is a good position coach doesn't mean it translates well to a HC. It's a totally different skillset.

There could be a position coach out there somewhere that doesn't have talented players at his position that coaches his guys up and has a lot of the traits needed to be a great HC.

Heck Cowher was a special teams coach.

I think Cooter for the Lions is interesting. The Lions are about as poorly managed as the Bengals and he generally gets god results there.

WHAT? Are you suggesting that PA is a GOOD position coach?
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 03:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah Shurmer was a victim of the train wreck that is the Browns. He was actually 5-11 his final year there. He has been successful as an offensive coach wherever he's been and has an extensive background in O-Lines. He was a vital cog in Philly's resurgence.  

Yeah, Shurmer should be on this list as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 01:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Romo would be crazy to leave the booth to take a OC job. He’s got a great gig.

And to my surprise is damn good at it...
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 01:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You guys are all picking coaches who come from teams with good HC's and actual systems, other coaches that are good, and that have great personnel departments. They won't have those luxuries here.

Look for a coach that inherited a trainwreck and turned it around...

Like how hard is it to be the OC of the Patriots? Belicheck is a great HC. They have a great personnel department. A HOF quarterback. They sign free agents that come in and overperform. McDaniels went to Denver and sucked when he had none of those things.

There have been a lot of coaches who had a lot more success the second time around.  But it's pretty clear that, so far anyway, trying to bring in the Patriot Way hasn't gone too well in several instances.  Maybe it's a magic that can't be duplicated or the whole mojo is BB himself.

Bill O'Brien has been the best but he hasn't made a deep run yet.  If his QB stays healthy, he'll have a shot.  But that's one out of how many.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 05:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Shurmer should be on this list as well.

Very true.

Just read this on PFT moments ago:

Quote:Another factor will be the future of offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur. He’s getting more and more buzz for a second shot at being a head coach (in hindsight, a 10-23 record during two years with the Browns doesn’t look all that awful)

It was all in reference to their QB situation moving forward, but the portion in parenthesis stood out in particular.
Reply/Quote
It could be Hairbaugh after that humiliating defeat yesterday. Thats why the Wolverines hired him to beat OSU, right now he's 0-4 ! If they do fire him he will only be 0-4, but ML is 0-7 !
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 01:07 PM)firstand10 Wrote: It could be Hairbaugh after that humiliating defeat yesterday. Thats why  the Wolverines hired him to beat OSU, right now he's 0-4 ! If they do fire him he will only be 0-4, but ML is 0-7 !

It was reported a few days ago that he and the school were working out the details on a lifetime contract.  Apparently they want a lifetime of misery against us and Meatchicken State (1-5 combined).
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 01:07 PM)firstand10 Wrote: It could be Hairbaugh after that humiliating defeat yesterday. Thats why the Wolverines hired him to beat OSU, right now he's 0-4 ! If they do fire him he will only be 0-4, but ML is 0-7 !

He could come here and never beat the Steelers! He’d fit right in.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 05:47 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Please provide your top selection and reasoning.

The one thing I will say is that I'd go offense, our D will be just fine with Guenther.

What ARE the options?   This point in the season... it's not lik there's GOOD options we'd be sure to get.

So?  You have  " Assistants" who are good but have not had success as head coach.
College Coach.. That SOMETIMES works, but not always.
Retreads? Guys who have "experience" but.. not success.

Bring Back Marvin?
Promote an assistant " in House" ?? 

I'm rather certain Alexander is GONE. Marvin?  About a 50-50 call.  Untill POST SEASON... we can't say who's available.
I ASSUME the coaching staff has changes. I think the odds are Mike Brown won't bring in a full time GM.  However.. THAT would be something that changes the "Who's Coaching" question.
Reply/Quote
If marvin stays we could potentially see Dirk Koetter as OC if Hue isn’t fried by the Browns .

Could also be Koetter as OC if Pauly is the guy.

Something to watch.
Reply/Quote
Heard on CBS radio tonight before the Steelers/Packers game that Mike Tomlin is 32-15 in prime time (now 33-15). What is Merv's record again?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 01:53 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If marvin stays we could potentially see Dirk Koetter as OC if Hue isn’t fried by the Browns .  

Could also be Koetter as OC if Pauly is the guy.

Something to watch.

Is there something that leads you to believe this, or is this just a name you like? I'd be happy with Koetter as OC. He's been fairly successful in 3 different places as OC (Jax, Atl and Tampa). He's coached some dominant run games.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hue with Marvin as a consultant to Mike is what I hope happens.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 10:23 PM)pally Wrote: Disagree
1) Mike Brown honors coaching contracts which means anyone new will have at least 3 years to make an impact
2) Andy is a proven productive QB...maybe not in the long run but will do until we can find the next dude (replacing him is not an emergency)
3) AJ Green proven star; Joe Mixon up and coming; Gio is stable producer; Tyler Kroft improving with each game
4) Proven core on defense
5) from what I read in outside press..Duke Tobin is well respected..maximizing his limited staff
6) Mike Brown may not be the best owner in the league but he's not disfunctional (see Irsay) and is transitioning over to Katie and Co.
7) Hopeful but low expectations from fans and without the glare of national media over every move

So whoever comes in will have time, a core group of solid players to build around in.  This isn't a total rebuild

I'll give you credit for putting a positive spin on things.

1) This isn't much of a selling point, if you don't think you're being setup for success.

2) We have an average QB. Is that going to tip he scales?

3) We have some good skill players, so do a lot of sick franchises. Gio and Kroft are not key selling points.

4) We have some good players on defense, but the unit looks pretty average right now. 

5) Tobin had a couple fantastic drafts, which generated some attention. The last few have been stinkers. That understaffed group is most certainly not a selling point.

6) Mike Brown and his Katie let Whit and Zeitler leave town, when our line was already sketchy. Dysfunctional? No. Incompetent? Maybe. Everybody saw this offensive line train wreck coming, including them, and they chose to go that route - because that's how they do things. You want an owner that wants to win above all else, and CLEARLY the Brown family is not. They have demonstrated this over and over again. A couple modest moves could have easily made this a 9-10 win team.

7) Top tier coaching talent doesn't seek out opportunities where expectations are low. They are Type A personalities, that are driven by success. It's absurd to think a guy like Josh McDaniels would favor a job, because things are so bad there - the media and fans have given up on them. Moreover, a top tier coach in that situation is going to generate huge expectations, whether they like it or not. 
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 03:00 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is there something that leads you to believe this, or is this just a name you like? I'd be happy with Koetter as OC. He's been fairly successful in 3 different places as OC (Jax, Atl and Tampa). He's coached some dominant run games.

I like DK. But that has zero to do with why I posted. My opinion doesn’t matter in the bengals hire. In the end people hire who they are comfortable with and have relationships.

Marvin hired Zim because Hue gave him a recommendation.
Marvin hired Jay because Jon recommended him after marvin went to Jon.
Reply/Quote
Josh McDaniels is my top choice.

He has HC experience. His Denver job was marred by outside influences. Crybaby Jay Cutler after hearing that McDaniels wanted Cassel to be his QB and diva Brandon Marshall. Not only that, but he had to deal with the Tim Tebow circus show too.

But McDaniels also checks all the other boxes for me as well. He has experience under Belichik, the greatest coach of all time. McDaniels knows how to adjust a gameplan and playcalling to exploit the weaknesses of the other team. His offense is always prepared for primetime, divisional, and playoff games. Not only that, but his offense performed well under Matt Cassel, Jacoby Brissett, and Jimmy Garropolo.

I am also hoping that Hue stays in Cleveland another year. I have watched him blunder a lot of things in Cleveland as the HC. Things that are Marvin level bad. Also, with Hue in Cleveland, we can probably get them to trade for AJM.
Reply/Quote