Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who wants Quinton Spain back?
I’m all for bringing Spain back. At this point I’d expect him to cost less than $1.5-2 mil. No reason not to bring him back at that rate for depth with our cap space.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 05:00 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I agree.  But as far as cap space have the Bengals singed any of their draft picks yet? I have not heard of any yet but I may have missed it.  According to Over the Cap the rookie pool will cost 6.9 million. 

https://overthecap.com/draft/

So after that it still gives them 8 million left over though.  I hope they spend almost every penny of it.

Edit Over the Cap shows the Bengals have 17 million.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

So after rookie signings that gives them 10 million to bring in other players.

Hi @Isaac Curtis: The Real #85  I don't really care but I'm kind of interested why you gave me a thumbs down for suggesting the Bengals spend as much money as possible after signing rookies to bring in free agents.  Just found that sort of odd. 

I'm interested in why you disagree. Thanks.  :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 04:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Let's be honest, hardly any fan would likely be comfortable with a single injury to the OL right now.

Options to fill in at each spot:
LT - D'Ante Smith
LG - Cordell Volson, Hakeem Adeniji
C - Trey Hill, Ben Brown, Lamont Gaillard
RG - Cordell Volson, Hakeem Adeniji
RT - Isaiah Prince

Maybe 1-2 of these guys could fill in ok, but we've either only seen poor results or haven't seen them at all yet to feel confident.

So I'm 100% in favor of adding a versatile vet.

Right

Am I on fire to get Spain back ? No

Would I love to see an experienced vet picked up ? Yes

If it's Spain so be it.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 05:00 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I agree.  But as far as cap space have the Bengals singed any of their draft picks yet? I have not heard of any yet but I may have missed it.  According to Over the Cap the rookie pool will cost 6.9 million. 

https://overthecap.com/draft/

So after that it still gives them 8 million left over though.  I hope they spend almost every penny of it.

Edit Over the Cap shows the Bengals have 17 million.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

So after rookie signings that gives them 10 million to bring in other players.

Not to pick on you, but I get so frustrated in every thread where cap space comes up, someone (or multiple someones) always does this. 

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PEOPLE. YOU CANNOT JUST SUBTRACT THE SALARY OF THE NEW PLAYER FROM THE AVAILABLE CAP SPACE TO GET THE NEW NUMBER. IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. The only time it would is if we have less than 51 guys under contract. It is over 70. 

There is (almost) always someone coming OFF the top 51 at this point.

The #51 guy right now is Chris Evans. He makes $868,222. Volson is set to make $869,221. If he signed today, he'd be #51. Evans' $868,222 would come off, and Volson's $869,221 would come on, for a net loss of cap space of $999 dollars. Not $869,221. 

The 5th & 6th round guys (Anderson & Gunter) will make less than the guys they displace, if they make the team, we'll actually gain cap space on these sites. 

These sites calculate based on the top 51 salaries on the books. Some lower salaried guys may make the team (Mitchell Wilcox?). And some of the draft picks may displace higher paid guys (Hill, CTB, & Anderson could mean the end for Brandon Wilson, who makes $2.5 mil with $500k in dead money). 

We'll lose less than $2 mil off that $17 mil number for the rookies.  Around $1.2 mil for Hill. Around $150k for CTB. Less than $100k for Carter. Less than $1k for Volson. And we will gain money if Anderson/Gunter make the 53. And like I said, if B. Wilson goes, we could actually gain money on the swaps. 

Yes, the 6 rookies are set to make around $6,499,865 mil or whatever. But the 6 lowest paid guys on our cap sheet (Evans, Hill  Henderson, Gaillard, Spence, + Davis/Bachie) combine to make $5,321,310. The difference? 

$1,178,555. 

The rooks do not, and will not, cost us $6.5 mil in cap space. 
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 04:39 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I was looking at some publication and didn't realize Trey Hill was so young... I think 21 as the season starts. I agree with grooming young talent but we need some more seasoned backups along the offensive line. If we stay healthy in the first half of the season two or more games above 500 then game on! I've also seen that D'Ante Smith could challenge the LG spot but I'll believe it when I see it.

Trey Hill turned 22 back in January.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Sign Spain if they can get him at an affordable price.Makes sense,since he is a very capable Guard.Let him
Compete for the starting job at LG.Although,I think Volson wins it.
Reply/Quote
Spain > Carman

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Yes and I would even sign him for 2-3 years if it’s going to be just 1-2 million a year again. Good depth if nothing else.
Reply/Quote
Meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Spain sucked when he had to play against better defenses in the playoffs and it wasnt because he was injured. Watch the the last play of the Super Bowl when Spain let Donald blow right past him and end the Bengals chances. It didnt happen because Spain was injured. It happened because Spain isnt as good as some of our fans make him out to be. If we make it back to the playoffs and the Super Bowl, we need better performance from the LG position than Spain gave. We cant have another repeat of last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 06:34 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Spain sucked when he had to play against better defenses in the playoffs and it wasnt because he was injured.  Watch the the last play of the Super Bowl when Spain let Donald blow right past him and end the Bengals chances.  It didnt happen because Spain was injured.  It happened because Spain isnt as good as some of our fans make him out to be.  If we make it back to the playoffs and the Super Bowl, we need better performance from the LG position than Spain gave.  We cant have another repeat of last year.

Tiger

I'm going to kinda stop you where I've been on Spain as nothing more than a serviceable that gave up a 60 yard td. Ok we get that but in the grand scheme of things he knows our locker-room and its a boulder on his shoulder. I can only imagine how much he hurts but business is business your about 60% suck/40 %suck in the fanbase but ok. As of right now I like a redemption story but I'm just not sure the Bengals see it that way. I'd love for them to bring DT Obanjobi back... Butchered his name likely but its his pride holding him back having spent two days with the Jets without a deal.  That 3rd round pick could haunt us for a decade when Perrion Winfrey winds up in Cleveland of all places. Hate it !
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 05:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

Am I on fire to get Spain back ? No

Would I love to see an experienced vet picked up ? Yes

If it's Spain so be it.

This ^^^^^^^

Although its well documented that I'm not a big Spain fan at all and would rather it be an upgrade than the retread. 

Also would add that there are probably "NO" NFL teams that are happy with their O-line depth or that would be comfortable if a couple starters were injured.   

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 06:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Spain > Carman

Not sure history will look back and view it this way. 

We will know soon enough though. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 06:34 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Spain sucked when he had to play against better defenses in the playoffs and it wasnt because he was injured. Watch the the last play of the Super Bowl when Spain let Donald blow right past him and end the Bengals chances. It didnt happen because Spain was injured. It happened because Spain isnt as good as some of our fans make him out to be. If we make it back to the playoffs and the Super Bowl, we need better performance from the LG position than Spain gave. We cant have another repeat of last year.

Yeah whoever we put in front of Aaron Donald is gonna have that happen to him. It's what he does.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 07:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not sure history will look back and view it this way. 

We will know soon enough though. 

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 05:40 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Not to pick on you, but I get so frustrated in every thread where cap space comes up, someone (or multiple someones) always does this. 

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PEOPLE. YOU CANNOT JUST SUBTRACT THE SALARY OF THE NEW PLAYER FROM THE AVAILABLE CAP SPACE TO GET THE NEW NUMBER. IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. The only time it would is if we have less than 51 guys under contract. It is over 70. 

There is (almost) always someone coming OFF the top 51 at this point.

The #51 guy right now is Chris Evans. He makes $868,222. Volson is set to make $869,221. If he signed today, he'd be #51. Evans' $868,222 would come off, and Volson's $869,221 would come on, for a net loss of cap space of $999 dollars. Not $869,221. 

The 5th & 6th round guys (Anderson & Gunter) will make less than the guys they displace, if they make the team, we'll actually gain cap space on these sites. 

These sites calculate based on the top 51 salaries on the books. Some lower salaried guys may make the team (Mitchell Wilcox?). And some of the draft picks may displace higher paid guys (Hill, CTB, & Anderson could mean the end for Brandon Wilson, who makes $2.5 mil with $500k in dead money). 

We'll lose less than $2 mil off that $17 mil number for the rookies.  Around $1.2 mil for Hill. Around $150k for CTB. Less than $100k for Carter. Less than $1k for Volson. And we will gain money if Anderson/Gunter make the 53. And like I said, if B. Wilson goes, we could actually gain money on the swaps. 

Yes, the 6 rookies are set to make around $6,499,865 mil or whatever. But the 6 lowest paid guys on our cap sheet (Evans, Hill  Henderson, Gaillard, Spence, + Davis/Bachie) combine to make $5,321,310. The difference? 

$1,178,555. 

The rooks do not, and will not, cost us $6.5 mil in cap space. 
Holy shit. Now I understand the phrase "it's all Greek to me". LOL.
Reply/Quote
If you want to sign a veteran: Is the price right? Does he have positional versatility? Is he a "glass-eater"? Is he a locker room presence with good character?
I'm guessing that the Bengals are betting that they don't need more leadership on the line with the new additions, and they don't want to sign "average" players to what could be a great line.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 06:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Spain > Carman

None of us know how good Carman is going to be this year.  I am not saying he will be a great player, but if you know anything about the NFL you know some great players looked bad as rookies.

Also none of us know why Spain is unsigned.  He may have some serious injury issues.

That being said I still want us to sign 1 or 2 veteran O-linemen.  I like the potential of Carman and D'Ante Smith, but there is no guarantee they will be good players.  I like the Volmer pick, but he is a year away.  Definitely keep all those guys.  And don't spend a big pile of money on any one player but get somebody with some starting experience.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 06:34 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Spain sucked when he had to play against better defenses in the playoffs and it wasnt because he was injured.  Watch the the last play of the Super Bowl when Spain let Donald blow right past him and end the Bengals chances.  It didnt happen because Spain was injured.  It happened because Spain isnt as good as some of our fans make him out to be.  If we make it back to the playoffs and the Super Bowl, we need better performance from the LG position than Spain gave.  We cant have another repeat of last year.

Facepalm

For the love of.... tell me you don't watch football without telling me you don't watch football. Aaron Donald is going to blow past ANY offensive lineman they put in front of him, it's why he is the best DT in the league. If people want to judge Spain on that one play, there is no credibility to anything they say.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 08:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of us know how good Carman is going to be this year.  I am not saying he will be a great player, but if you know anything about the NFL you know some great players looked bad as rookies.

Also none of us know why Spain is unsigned.  He may have some serious injury issues.

That being said I still want us to sign 1 or 2 veteran O-linemen.  I like the potential of Carman and D'Ante Smith, but there is no guarantee they will be good players.  I like the Volmer pick, but he is a year away.  Definitely keep all those guys.  And don't spend a big pile of money on any one player but get somebody with some starting experience.

Tiger

This situation is made for Jackson Carman.
No its not because Volson will beat him out!
Thats great news
Reply/Quote