Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who wants Quinton Spain back?
(05-14-2022, 09:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Even though he is (was) considered a top 5 Center, no one has signed him for a reason. No one wants a 31 year old with bad knees that can't practice that is going to demand that kind of money. We shouldn't either.

Most of these guys on borderline of retirement and not signed this late in the year are not going to break the bank.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 02:38 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: LOL He's 31, That's not all that old.
He also has only missed 1 game in the last five years. 

I think he's Vet enough that he can skip practices, since he's still playing at a high level.

Anyways, I don't think anyone on here has said sign him for $10M. I'd be ok with $6M or less.
 In his prime, he would have been worth that 10, but he's not going to find a long line of suitors, besides, he has a shortlist of teams he would play for. 

Well yeah, I think most people would sign him for 6  or less. There's a problem there though because he wants 10. I do not want to give up 10 per year for him while we have the Burrow and Higgins signings coming up. We have a center who is an improvement already on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 02:38 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I think he's Vet enough that he can skip practices, since he's still playing at a high level.

He might be able to skip practices with a group of O-linemen he has played with, I don't see how that would be possible with the Bengals.  It is not like he would be the one "new guy".  We would have an entire O-line made up of guys who had never played a single snap together.  It seems it would be very difficult to get that unit working together when one of them can't practice.

Plus if his knees are so bad that he can't practice can we trust him to be healthy for 21 games? 
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 10:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He might be able to skip practices with a group of O-linemen he has played with, I don't see how that would be possible with the Bengals.  It is not like he would be the one "new guy".  We would have an entire O-line made up of guys who had never played a single snap together.  It seems it would be very difficult to get that unit working together when one of them can't practice.

Plus if his knees are so bad that he can't practice can we trust him to be healthy for 21 games? 

No, which is why he is still unsigned.
Reply/Quote
I never expected them to re-sign Spain and i'm ok with it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 11:38 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I never expected them to re-sign Spain and i'm ok with it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back to a similar contract to the last two years if he doesn't sign somewhere else. He is a solid backup.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 11:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised to see him back to a similar contract to the last two years if he doesn't sign somewhere else. He is a solid backup.

The Bengals should sign Tretter unless Karras wants to play center. They need better backups at center and I guess tackle. Can Prince handle it? Would like to see us strengthen the depth in the OL.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 08:33 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Most of these guys on borderline of retirement and not signed this late in the year are not going to break the bank.

And the longer he sits, the less chances he gets paid like he wants. Minnesota is chatting about him, but they don't even have 10m in cap space, so he's going to have to bend on his number IF he wants to play this year.

(05-15-2022, 10:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He might be able to skip practices with a group of O-linemen he has played with, I don't see how that would be possible with the Bengals.  It is not like he would be the one "new guy".  We would have an entire O-line made up of guys who had never played a single snap together.  It seems it would be very difficult to get that unit working together when one of them can't practice.

Again, only missed one game in 5 years. Dude knows his body and only 5 centers graded higher than him last year.
Do you think he's the ONLY player in the League that doesn't practice but plays the game??

(05-15-2022, 11:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No, which is why he is still unsigned.

And he likely will be til he comes down on his price. I have been seeing teams jumping and signing some vets on the cheap lately, so teams with need and cap space is diminishing.

And for all we know, the Bengals might not even consider his position a need. They seem content to roll with who they have now. It's some of us fans that want them to finish the OL overhaul and put the best we can out there with out relying on unknown's.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 01:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Bengals should sign Tretter unless Karras wants to play center. 

Tretter is over 30 and his knees were so shot that he could not even practice last year.

I don't see how we could have an O-line where none of the starters have ever played together and one of them can not even practice.

Plus, if his knees are that bad I doubt he makes it through 21 games.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 01:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Do you think he's the ONLY player in the League that doesn't practice but plays the game??

No, but if there are any others I don't want to sign them either.

Tretter could get away without practicing in Cleveland because they did not have an O-line with 5 different starters who had never taken a snap with each other.  I don't see how we could get all these new guys working together if one of them can't even practice.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tretter is over 30 and his knees were so shot that he could not even practice last year.

I don't see how we could have an O-line where none of the starters have ever played together and one of them can not even practice.

Didn’t know that so I’d agree
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tretter is over 30 and his knees were so shot that he could not even practice last year.

LOL there are healthy guys that can't make it thru 21 games. You sign if the price is right, it's all a gamble, Eyes on the prize?? Even if he misses a few games, you've brought Carman/Volson time to develop so they aren't immediate liabilities. You know, healthy back and don't want a Rookie starting immediately. 

(05-15-2022, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No, but if there are any others I don't want to sign them either.

Tretter could get away without practicing in Cleveland because they did not have an O-line with 5 different starters who had never taken a snap with each other.  I don't see how we could get all these new guys working together if one of them can't even practice.

If He was signed, then all starters on the OL would become mult-year Vets, wouldn't take them long at all to gel. 

But i guess you're the expert on this right??  Sarcasm

It's not up to us though, it's up to what the Bengals think gives them the best chances to win.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 02:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: LOL there are healthy guys that can't make it thru 21 games. You sign if the price is right, it's all a gamble,

That si not the way a lot of NFL teams work.  I have read different stories about how teams will not even sho interest in certain free agents due to injury history or they will completely remove a draft prospect from their board.

The problem with siging/drafting a player with serious injury issues is that you have to cut someone from the roster that you might need later in the season.  Or you might pass on signing/drafting a different player who had a better chance of staying healthy.

(05-15-2022, 02:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If He was signed, then all starters on the OL would become mult-year Vets, wouldn't take them long at all to gel. 

But i guess you're the expert on this right??  Sarcasm

I won't call myself an "expert", but if you have never heard coaches or offensive linemen saying they need to work together to get their timing and coordination down then I know a lot more than you.
Reply/Quote
Not with this revamped O-line.

As good as Spain was, we're better with our recent additions in the interior unless Spain can replace Carman, who i've said for months we need to send packing.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 03:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That si not the way a lot of NFL teams work.  I have read different stories about how teams will not even sho interest in certain free agents due to injury history or they will completely remove a draft prospect from their board.

The problem with siging/drafting a player with serious injury issues is that you have to cut someone from the roster that you might need later in the season.  Or you might pass on signing/drafting a different player who had a better chance of staying healthy.

I won't call myself an "expert", but if you have never heard coaches or offensive linemen saying they need to work together to get their timing and coordination down then I know a lot more than you.

Yes it is. Some will remove them, but there is still plenty of teams sign/draft players that have injury histories all the time as long as the team feels the value is there.

How about:
Stingley?
Drake London?
Jameson Williams?
Booth?
Ojabo?
Pickens?
Justyn Ross?
Metchie?
Damone Clark?

All those guys coming off injuries/surgeries.

It's the same with Vets, if the value is there you do it.

As far as the OL, sure lots of coaches SAY that, but they will do whatever they need to get the win(s).
And again, with Tretter, none of these guys are rookies, but all are 4yr vets. It's not hard for them to "gel" as you think.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 04:03 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote:  It's not hard for them to "gel" as you think.

What exactly are you basing this claim on?

Before I start digging up a long list of quotes from players and coaches about how an offensive line has to work together to get good I need to see if there is any reason to waste my time.

I am betting you don't have anything to back up your opinion.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 04:03 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes it is. Some will remove them, but there is still plenty of teams sign/draft players that have injury histories all the time as long as the team feels the value is there.

I think you are agreeing with me.

Tretter is a big risk because of his age and knee problems.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 11:38 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I never expected them to re-sign Spain and i'm ok with it.

Yes, trust whatever Duke and Zac decide.
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking they told Quintin to hold tight and they'll probably sign him before the season starts, but they have to see how the youngins will do before cutting bait from any from last year.. He still has the option of signing elsewhere and he did help get this team in the superbowl so it ain't like he doesn't have people calling.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 06:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm thinking they told Quintin to hold tight and they'll probably sign him before the season starts, but they have to see how the youngins will do before cutting bait from any from last year.. He still has the option of signing elsewhere and he did help get this team in the superbowl so it ain't like he doesn't have people calling.. 

Tiger

I'm sure that he has teams calling but that tells me that maybe his asking price is too high or the situation isn't right. I'm not sure 
Reply/Quote