Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who wants to eat crow over Auden Tate? And also what i expect Sunday
I think Tate has a realastic chance of being active
Sunday.
when Lawson went down that created a roster spot. the Bengals didnt sign Ealy or Irvin or a Dez Bryant. they promoted from within. it makes no sense to have a open roster spot and not use it on gameday.I can see them sitting Malone. Lattimore is a physical CB. Erickson and Core have been no shows on offense.
Tate is not a burner but he can be mismatch on a smaller 3rd CB in the red zone.
plus with Uzomah still hurt the Bengals need a larger radius target.
Reply/Quote
The only thing Tate is sure to do is make me drink a hellova lot during the game. But at least he's consistent because he does that even when hes not on the 53.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 04:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think it goes without saying that 99.9% of Bengals fans hope Auden Tate is the next Jerry Rice.

That said...

Cody Core
Mario Alford
James Wright
Cobi Hamilton
Ryan Whalen
Armon Binns
Dez Briscoe
Freddie Brown
Mario Urrutia
Bennie Brazell
Tab Perry 

These are every hyped Bengals WR that was drafted in the 6th or 7th round during the Marv era. They've combined to post career numbers (as Bengals) that are nearly identical to the numbers Jordan Shipley posted in his rookie season (500 yards, 4 TDs). Yet it's become an annual tradition to hype the latest guy - to the point we'd rather play the latest puff piece superstar than sign a proven vet. 

ThumbsUp
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 01:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The entire NFL passed on drafting Tate, trading for Tate and claiming Tate off the waivers. At what point do we admit that Marvin Lewis isn't the only coach that isn't dying to put this guy on the field?

The entire NFL has passed on a lot of good players.Remember Tom Brady ??? This guy makes contested catches consistantly.Great hands.Start him,leave him in.If he makes a boo-boo or two don’t put him on the bench.Nobody’s perfect.AJ dropped some balls this year.I’d like to see what he can do with the first string offense,instead of just limited,garbage time,which is about all he has gotten in PRE-season this year.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 06:00 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: The entire NFL has passed on a lot of good players.Remember Tom Brady ??? This guy makes contested catches consistantly.Great hands.Start him,leave him in.If he makes a boo-boo or two don’t put him on the bench.Nobody’s perfect.AJ dropped some balls this year.I’d like to see what he can do with the first string offense,instead of just limited,garbage time,which is about all he has gotten in PRE-season this year.

Tom Brady being drafted in the 6th round is a special story for a reason.

Can you guess what that reason is?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 03:51 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Well hope you are ready to eat your crow. And i never said immediate star. Just a piece on the offense that will help . 

Why would I eat crow on this?  What have I said that makes you think I don't think Tate can contribute?

All I was pointing out is that Tate cleared waivers, which means our idiot coaching staff isn't the only coaching staff to doubt Tate's potential. 

At any rate, every year we lose our minds over one of our bench Wrs, so one could break out eventually.  
Reply/Quote
I'm a fan of Tate, but damn, the dude didn't even make the roster. I'm not expecting anything, but I do hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 06:00 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: The entire NFL has passed on a lot of good players.Remember Tom Brady ???

Ugh, don't remind me.  Tom Brady is the reason I've been terrified every time the Browns have started a late-round QB in the past 17 years.  Oh god...why are we still playing Dalton?  The Browns are eventually going to find Tom Brady if they keep starting all these QBs!  
Reply/Quote
Somebody thought highly of him at one point...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/7/10/17551748/bengals-rookie-wr-auden-tate-training-randy-moss-florida-state
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 11:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Tate lovers will never eat crow because they willinsist that it is MARVIN'S fault when Tate does nothing.

Remember how Jake Kumerow became an NFL star as soon as he was out from under Marvin?

agree and should we also bring up some old posts about how Boyd was going backwards and looking like a 1 year wonder... I hope Tate does well but to act like just sit players in spite of talent i just don;t see
Reply/Quote
I just want to know what's up with the "tude"?

We all want the team to win no matter who contributes.

So what, if a few posters or fans are snarky about a PS player?

Big deal. Yawn
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 09:02 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I just want to know what's up with the "tude"?

We all want the team to win no matter who contributes.

So what, if a few posters or fans are snarky about a PS player?

Big deal.  Yawn

Hain't no big deal...but for the sake of completeness, the "super intangibles off the chart" WR we had that was gonna make us all eat crow currently has 4 receptions for the season in the CFL.  

Like I said, the whole notion that Tate is a gem that Marvin is too stupid/stubborn to play took a hit when 31 other NFL coaches that aren't Marvin passed on the guy when we released him.  Time will tell...it always does.  
Reply/Quote
I think Joe Mixon will be nullified quickly in this game and we have to wonder how many points Drew puts up on us (are we the worst in the league in yards given up? If not last, gotta be close).

HOFer eats that kind of crap alive, and when we abandon run it just gives him more chances to score. I like what the Browns did against the Chiefs in the 1st half, almost doubled their TOP. We need high TOP to have any chance at all against the Saints.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 09:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hain't no big deal...but for the sake of completeness, the "super intangibles off the chart" WR we had that was gonna make us all eat crow currently has 4 receptions for the season in the CFL.  

Like I said, the whole notion that Tate is a gem that Marvin is too stupid/stubborn to play took a hit when 31 other NFL coaches that aren't Marvin passed on the guy when we released him.  Time will tell...it always does.  

I really hate this narrative lol because like i said teams usually stick with who they drafted and got in their system. I cant come up with other positions but lets take a qb like aj mccarron drafted 5th round,he might never get a shot at a full season, and if he did and went something like 9-7 or 10-6 , that mught be better then a 1st round bust. But mccarron might never get that shot because of draft status. There might be receivers or rb's that was able to really play but no team gave him a shot because of draft status. 

The bengals are also not known to play their best guys all the time,he should of made the 53 but he doesnt play special teams and they wanted the extra corner on the team. Theres good players that are found in the late rounds quite often,remember tj houshmanzadeh? Antonio brown? Nobody would of known who they were until they started producing. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 04:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think it goes without saying that 99.9% of Bengals fans hope Auden Tate is the next Jerry Rice.

That said...

Cody Core
Mario Alford
James Wright
Cobi Hamilton
Ryan Whalen
Armon Binns
Dez Briscoe
Freddie Brown
Mario Urrutia
Bennie Brazell
Tab Perry 

These are every hyped Bengals WR that was drafted in the 6th or 7th round during the Marv era. They've combined to post career numbers (as Bengals) that are nearly identical to the numbers Jordan Shipley posted in his rookie season (500 yards, 4 TDs). Yet it's become an annual tradition to hype the latest guy - to the point we'd rather play the latest puff piece superstar than sign a proven vet. 

Tab perry wasnt he a return man? He did pretty good returning.

I really didnt like none of them guys but when we needed help i did want to see what core could bring to the table when we were losing,they didnt give him a shot till we were out of it i think 2016. Now i know what he is,not good. 

Cobi hamilton i was rooting for the guy ,and tyler boyd i wanted to draft him 2nd round. And we did. I really wanted a 1st rounder wr but they couldnt do it, but was very happy with boyd,and even when he wasnt being used i had his pic as my avatar and got made fun of like i was a dumb ass on here lol and what a coincadence brandon labum left and boyd started shining. I remember a bunch of fans sticking up for labum. Look at him now. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 01:49 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Tab perry wasnt he a return man? He did pretty good returning.

I really didnt like none of them guys but when we needed help i did want to see what core could bring to the table when we were losing,they didnt give him a shot till we were out of it i think 2016. Now i know what he is,not good. 

Cobi hamilton i was rooting for the guy ,and tyler boyd i wanted to draft him 2nd round. And we did. I really wanted a 1st rounder wr but they couldnt do it, but was very happy with boyd,and even when he wasnt being used i had his pic as my avatar and got made fun of like i was a dumb ass on here lol and what a coincadence brandon labum left and boyd started shining. I remember a bunch of fans sticking up for labum. Look at him now. 

Not really knocking you personally, just going over the list because pretty much all of those guys got hyped like Tate. It's an annual thing. Draft a 6th-7th round WR, Hobs says he looked good in camp, fans fall in love, guy does nothing. I guess eventually we might hit again. Last time we really did was Housh back in 2001.

I just never get caught up in that stuff, based on the history and extremely low odds of hitting. I save my excitement for players that actually show something.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If, a very big if, Tate is active on Sunday, I'm guessing he'll play just a few snaps. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 01:57 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If, a very big if, Tate is active on Sunday, I'm guessing he'll play just a few snaps. 

Wouldnt doubt it,they gave jordan franks 1 snap amd 1 catch before benching him. I just really believe tate can contribute more then the other guys. Im hoping ross and tate see time and both look good,so when green gets back we have 4 guys that can make catches and plays then wed be rolling. But ross has not been involved at all,and i can't see the other guys giving us anything to help us win a playoff game if ross dont come around. Basically i think winning playoff games or beating pitt comes down to if we can get tate and ross to give us production. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 01:43 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I really hate this narrative lol because like i said teams usually stick with who they drafted and got in their system. I cant come up with other positions but lets take a qb like aj mccarron drafted 5th round,he might never get a shot at a full season, and if he did and went something like 9-7 or 10-6 , that mught be better then a 1st round bust. But mccarron might never get that shot because of draft status. There might be receivers or rb's that was able to really play but no team gave him a shot because of draft status. 

There are too many late round picks and undrafted free agents starting in the NFL to give this claim any creedance.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 01:56 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not really knocking you personally, just going over the list because pretty much all of those guys got hyped like Tate. It's an annual thing. Draft a 6th-7th round WR, Hobs says he looked good in camp, fans fall in love, guy does nothing. I guess eventually we might hit again. Last time we really did was Housh back in 2001.

I just never get caught up in that stuff, based on the history and extremely low odds of hitting. I save my excitement for players that actually show something.

The issue I have with your list is that it only includes Wide Receivers...Sure late round picks have low odds but the Bengals do develop their fair share of late round guys.

Evans Fej Rex Scott McDonald Ndukwe(?) Fanene. That doesn't include guys like Burfict Hewitt Lewis-Harris...

Will Auden Tate light up the NFL? Not likely and if he is playing that's probably a bad sign considering he has guys ahead of him. But that doesn't change the fact I like what I saw from him as a 'Nole and what he did in TC and the Pre-season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote