Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who we keeping at LBer ?
(01-15-2019, 08:39 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The bad thing is that there are a lot of names on that list and there isn’t one must keep or one guy that I would be aggravated about losing. That’s pretty bad.

This is where I am.

Major reconstruction is in order for this unit. Not much upside to be found with any of these guys. Jefferson has the physical tools but that isn’t enough in this league. Burfict is finished. Vigil is just decent. Brown is a liability against all of the great receiving backs that are popping up these days. Time to hit the reset button on this group.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This. Plus, how much can we hold some of these guys accountable for the scheme?  Sure, a missed tackle is a missed tackle, but I want my LBs flying all over the place.  If you miss, fine, but if you think you see something, try to make a play.  I know he was a safety, but I have never seen a player that played so free and would make more impact plays than Troy Palumolu.  That kid was amazing.  Sure, he led with his head on tackles and probably won't know who he is in 5 years, but his play was amazing. 

A good example of a Bengal that would make mistakes but played fast and hard is Odell Thurman.  He wasn't the classic Thumper, but at 6'0", 230 lbs, that guy was a menace.  He had 5 INTs and 5 FF in his rookie season.  Sure, he had tons of issues off the field, sadly, that ended his career, but I remember Marv would always be on him to play more disciplined and I was thinking "Shut up, Marv! Take a page our of Jimmy Johnson's playbook!" He wanted guys to be playmakers and play fast, not timid.

Brilliantly put!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This. Plus, how much can we hold some of these guys accountable for the scheme?  Sure, a missed tackle is a missed tackle, but I want my LBs flying all over the place.  If you miss, fine, but if you think you see something, try to make a play.  I know he was a safety, but I have never seen a player that played so free and would make more impact plays than Troy Palumolu.  That kid was amazing.  Sure, he led with his head on tackles and probably won't know who he is in 5 years, but his play was amazing. 

A good example of a Bengal that would make mistakes but played fast and hard is Odell Thurman.  He wasn't the classic Thumper, but at 6'0", 230 lbs, that guy was a menace.  He had 5 INTs and 5 FF in his rookie season.  Sure, he had tons of issues off the field, sadly, that ended his career, but I remember Marv would always be on him to play more disciplined and I was thinking "Shut up, Marv! Take a page our of Jimmy Johnson's playbook!" He wanted guys to be playmakers and play fast, not timid.

Yep,

I'm a firm believer in an aggressive defense, you can't play on your heels and be successful just ask Austin. You're going to get burned from time to time that's just part of it.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:21 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not really sure I get why everyone is wanting Burfict gone? I would at least bring him into camp and see how it goes.

Are you paying attention ?  He is either hurt or suspended. Eight million to spend on FAs would help the team more than a player who can't stay on the field.
Reply/Quote
It pains me to have to move on from Burfict.  Let's face it, no one stood up to the douchebags in Shitsburgh until he got here.  I'll always have a spot for him because of that fact alone.  However, it's time.  Not just for the team, but for him as well.  He needs to retire.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: James Francis was one of my favs back in the day.

(01-15-2019, 09:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mine too.

Had a great rookie season when we won our last playoff game.  (78 tlks, 8 sacks, an int td, and a safety)

Thought he was going to be a big star, but that ended up being about the best year of his career.  He never had more than 6 sacks in a season again.

And mine as well!

For the sack issue, it didn't help that we were a 4-3 team for a bit of his time here and played SLB; had he been full 3-4 the whole time, the sack numbers would've been up a bit, at least.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 11:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: It pains me to have to move on from Burfict.  Let's face it, no one stood up to the douchebags in Shitsburgh until he got here.  I'll always have a spot for him because of that fact alone.  However, it's time.  Not just for the team, but for him as well.  He needs to retire.

for his health and concussions yes.

But ill miss him... he was the main reason we had a chance at the win in 2015
Reply/Quote
Burfict would punk Pittsburgh n their players were actually afraid to play against him. He was in their head that’s for sure. I’ll miss him. Not sure what the hell last year was about. But we need an complete overhaul out linebackers suck ass. We need to draft nothing but lineman n linebackers this draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 11:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: It pains me to have to move on from Burfict.  Let's face it, no one stood up to the douchebags in Shitsburgh until he got here.  I'll always have a spot for him because of that fact alone.  However, it's time.  Not just for the team, but for him as well.  He needs to retire.

I can see Burfict intercepting what's his names pass and running up the tunnel like it just happened.

I'll miss the swag he brought but yes it's time for him to call it a career.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:21 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not really sure I get why everyone is wanting Burfict gone? I would at least bring him into camp and see how it goes.

His contract is based mainly off being on the roster and on the field. I think he gets something like 2 million roster bonus, 1 million workout bonus, etc, etc. Lots of "availability" bonuses
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:51 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He's tons better than people give him credit for; feast or famine guy that looks awesome when he's on and less than stellar when he's not.

He gets kept.

Vigil
Evans
Brown
Jefferson

Those are the sure keeps.

Maybe Worley if he can actually contribute on defensive snaps, instead of just STs.

Draft one to put us at 6 LBs (or get another if Worley is not retained) and call it a day; it needs work, but it shouldn't be the most heavily-invested part of the team.

They need to be only competent.

And he's young. Not a terribly high ceiling, but he can become a decent starter or role guy. 

I am going with this LB group as well.  :andy: I do think they need to spend the most on this for one player tho (draft or FA). I would prefer the draft, but I wouldn't be upset with a top tier LB. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 12:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can see Burfict intercepting what's his names pass and running up the tunnel like it just happened.

I'll miss the swag he brought but yes it's time for him to call it a career.

Pretty sure it was Jason Campbell... lemme check...

EDIT: Yup, Campbell indeed. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201311170cin.htm

Further EDIT*: Wasn't an INT, it was a fumble recovery!
Andy had one of the weirdest games ever, I remember lol and Sanu threw the best pass of the day to Gio-van.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Pretty sure it was Jason Campbell... lemme check...

EDIT: Yup, Campbell indeed. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201311170cin.htm

Andy had one of the weirdest games ever, I remember lol and Sanu threw the best pass of the day to Gio-van.

I think he was referring to the 2015 playoff game.....and didn't want to mention Pig Pen....lol.....but maybe not.  I remember that one too.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 04:24 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I think he was referring to the 2015 playoff game.....and didn't want to mention Pig Pen....lol.....but maybe not.  I remember that one too.

Burfict didn't run into the tunnel though Wink
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 04:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Burfict didn't run into the tunnel though Wink

You sure about that?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/watch-vontaze-burfict-nearly-ran-to-the-bengals-locker-room-after-int/

....and it was Landry Jones, not Pig Pen.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Pretty sure it was Jason Campbell... lemme check...

(01-16-2019, 04:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think he was referring to the 2015 playoff game.....and didn't want to mention Pig Pen....lol.....but maybe not.  I remember that one too.

Yup, Squeelers, lol

It was whoever replaced Pig Ben for a series or two when he was "injured" ? Burfict intercepted him and went running off the field. Then it all went downhill from there.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 05:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup, Squeelers, lol

It was whoever replaced Pig Ben for a series or two when he was "injured" ? Burfict intercepted him and went running off the field. Then it all went downhill from there.

Yep, Landry Jones.  I had forgotten he was the one that threw that INT.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep,

I'm a firm believer in an aggressive defense, you can't play on your heels and be successful just ask Austin. You're going to get burned from time to time that's just part of it.

Watching the Pats play SD, they had 10 guys at the LOS almost every play.  I don't think I have even seen that on our team at the goal line.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 05:11 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: You sure about that?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/watch-vontaze-burfict-nearly-ran-to-the-bengals-locker-room-after-int/

....and it was Landry Jones, not Pig Pen.

Correct!

But he didn't run into the tunnel; almost, but not quite! Wink

(01-16-2019, 05:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup, Squeelers, lol

Gotcha!
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 05:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Watching the Pats play SD, they had 10 guys at the LOS almost every play.  I don't think I have even seen that on our team at the goal line.  

We usually have 8/9 guys.

Its not a good idea to have that many on the LOS, as poor man coverage LBs and Ss need to be back, in order to crash down and run with TEs and backs; we exploit that to death, with a TE escaping out in the flat, wide, WIDE open and able to catch an uncontested TD.

But yeah, I get that on a running play, it would be best to have everyone on the LOS.
Reply/Quote