Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who would you rather have for all 16 games?
Nate was responding to something in another thread with (paraphrasing) a statement that he feels having Green on the field is more important to the rest of the team than Ross.

It seemed pretty logical to me. Green is more reliable, and has an unbelievable catch radius. However, upon closer examination, I would rather have Ross.

Here's why:

Ross gets separation faster than any receiver on the team. DBs will give him a bigger cushion. Safeties will drop, helping the rushing attack as well as opening up the middle of the field. He has that home run ability and I think we finally have the QB to not underthrow him and can hit him deep on extended plays.

AJ is a great player, and if he is healthy for all 16 games, he is a Mr. Reliable and a sure-handed target. But remember, they have already started moving Green to the slot at times, to help him shake some of the coverage. We have Boyd for that.

If I could only have one of the two for 16 games, I would take Ross.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Im betting Ross has his best year in 2020 but the answer is easily AJ Green and its no contest.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
AJ without hesitation. No team game plans against Ross, every team game plans against Green.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:13 PM)Synric Wrote: Im betting Ross has his best year in 2020 but the answer is easily AJ Green and its no contest.

Why?  Projecting Ross's last season (with Dalton and not much else on offense), he would have had 1000 yards.  He also has a ridiculous 18.1 YPR average and is a big play threat.  I think he changes the way teams defend the Bengals a great deal.  In 2017, Green played 16 games and had 1070 yards, with a 3 YPR lower average.  

I am not trying to say it is Ross.  But why is it automatically Green?   I can see someone saying Green is more reliable (thinking he is more likely to play all 16 games), but in terms of who impacts the team more if only one is there all 16 games, I actually think it is Ross.

If both are healthy all 16 games, the Bengals will be in the playoffs.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I could only have one of the two for 16 games, I would take Ross.

Thoughts?

My thought is that you have lost your mind.

Safeties will not drop to double Ross because he has never shown he can consistently beat single coverage.  Green will draw double coverage before Ross.
Reply/Quote
Finley or Burrow?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I will take the 7 time Pro Bowler, 3 time 2nd team All Pro compared to the 0 Pro Bowls and 0 All Pro.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My thought is that you have lost your mind.

Safeties will not drop to double Ross because he has never shown he can consistently beat single coverage.  Green will draw double coverage before Ross.

He has never shown it yet last season, with no Green on the other side and Dalton throwing the ball, Ross put up 500 yards in 8 games and 18.1 YPR.  Tell me where that isn't showing it.  And YES, he was doubled.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I will take the 7 time Pro Bowler, 3 time 2nd team All Pro compared to the 0 Pro Bowls and 0 All Pro.

Career history?  Absolutely.  2020 season?  Are you that certain?  

Green in 16 games in 2017 (THREE seasons ago):  1070 yards.
Ross in 8 games last year:  500 yards.  

Ross has roughly 3 YPR greater average (bigger plays) and scores more often than Green based on TDs per reception.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Why?  Projecting Ross's last season (with Dalton and not much else on offense), he would have had 1000 yards.  He also has a ridiculous 18.1 YPR average and is a big play threat.  I think he changes the way teams defend the Bengals a great deal.  In 2017, Green played 16 games and had 1070 yards, with a 3 YPR lower average.  

If you project the team stats from the 8 games Ross played last year then the Bengals would have thrown the ball 640 times.

In 2017 when Green put up MORE yards (1078) that Ross's projected full season production (1012) the Bengals only the the ball 510 times.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you project the team stats for the 8 games played then the Bengals would have thrown the ball 640 times.

In 2017 when Green put up MORE yards (1078) that Ross's full season production (1012) the Bengals only the the ball 510 times.

Yet, individually, Ross got nearly 3 yards per reception more than Green.  He did as much with fewer catches in terms of yardage.  Big plays.  It matters.  

And that was THREE years ago for Green.  Let that sink in...
Reply/Quote
This is like asking if you'd rather have a brand new Corvette or a Ford Focus.

I wish this was made into a poll question just so we could see the overwhelming disparity in the answers.
Reply/Quote
Green, and it's not even in the same zip code.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is like asking if you'd rather have a brand new Corvette or a Ford Focus.

I wish this was made into a poll question just so we could see the overwhelming disparity in the answers.

I get it and I figured everyone would take a crap on this, but I honestly don't think it is as easy as you all are saying.

If both were healthy for 16 games, I think Ross outperformes Green.  At this point in their careers, I think Ross with Burrow is going to produce some big plays.  The question is:  Can he stay healthy.  But that isn't the question on this thread.  It was if you can only have one for 16 games.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I could only have one of the two for 16 games, I would take Ross.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Racer is one of the more thoughtful posters on this board. Who are you, and what did you do with Racer? Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Ross will be better with Green. But Green is the choice for 16 games as a stand alone receiver

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
John Ross, in 24 games played, has a total of 716 yards.

AJ Green, in only 9 games played in 2018, had 694 yards.

Let that sink in...
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ross has roughly 3 YPR greater average (bigger plays) and scores more often than Green based on TDs per reception.  

Too bad Ross could not catch as many passes as Green because Green scored more tds.

Green also had more yards per target in 2017 (9.6) than Ross did last year (9.0).

Ross accounted for less than 15% of the catches in the games he played last year.  In 2017 Green had almost one of every four catches for the Bengals (24.7%)
Reply/Quote
Career totals for percentage of targets caught:

AJ Green - 59%

John Ross - 42%

Drop %:

AJ Green - 6.5%

John Ross - 14.3%
Reply/Quote
Its not just stats either defenses Roll Coverage to AJ Green he is double and sometimes tripled teamed and he still puts up great numbers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote