Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why Are The Bengals So Reluctant To Replace Coaches?
(10-02-2023, 07:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Because they value continuity at the coaching spot. To a fault.

I agree with this sentiment as well. Clearly Taylor and Callahan aren't these great offensive masterminds. So when you give teams 4-5 years to learn what you're doing and struggle to come up with new schemes or be able to get guys open that's going to lead to your offense being predictable. Which we've seen for the past 2 years. 

Continuity can be good but I think in this case it may be more of a hindrance than a boon. They're just too similar in how they want to call things and neither seem to be willing to try to get super creative.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:49 AM)Bengalion Wrote: Doug Pederson finished his tenure in Philadelphia with a 42–37–1 (.531) regular season record, 4–2 (.667) playoff record and a 46–39–1 (.541) career record. He spent five seasons in Philly and won a ring there. After the Super Bowl win, he went 9-7 in 2018 (lost to the Sains in the divisional round) and 2019 (one and gone on the playoffs), and was fired after a pathetic 4-11-1 in 2020. All it took was a losing season and he was gone. That being said, I don't see Zac being fired this season, even if Burrow gets destroyed next week and ruled out of the season plus a 1-16 record in January. He will get another shot next year not matter what.

The Eagles are a very proactive organization.  Comparing the Bengals management to that of the major market teams is like apples to oranges.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Quote:
Why Are The Bengals So Reluctant To Replace Coaches?

Because the Bengals don't make stupid kneejerk reactions. This group of coaches took us to 2 straight AFCCGs and a Super Bowl, and you really want to replace them because of 3 losses when the starting QB is injured?  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 10:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:
He has drafted nobody

Fixed it for you...
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:49 AM)Bengalion Wrote: Doug Pederson finished his tenure in Philadelphia with a 42–37–1 (.531) regular season record, 4–2 (.667) playoff record and a 46–39–1 (.541) career record. He spent five seasons in Philly and won a ring there. After the Super Bowl win, he went 9-7 in 2018 (lost to the Sains in the divisional round) and 2019 (one and gone on the playoffs), and was fired after a pathetic 4-11-1 in 2020. All it took was a losing season and he was gone. That being said, I don't see Zac being fired this season, even if Burrow gets destroyed next week and ruled out of the season plus a 1-16 record in January. He will get another shot next year not matter what.

I would have to guess Bengals FO would ask Taylor to find a way to adjust the offense to be less dependent on Burrow, if anything.
But I do think Taylor would not get let go after this year regardless of how poorly the record ends up being.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 10:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Because the Bengals don't make stupid kneejerk reactions. This group of coaches took us to 2 straight AFCCGs and a Super Bowl, and you really want to replace them because of 3 losses when the starting QB is injured?  Hilarious

The misgivings regarding Pollack are widespread and predate the season, so the calls for HIS head are not knee jerk reactions. Now, whether this is doable mid season is a fair point, but so is questioning the decision to keep him this year. We have a franchise QB, competent OL play at a minimum seems to a no-brainer, right?

Its like we have a pot of gold sitting in the lobby guarded by a rent a cop as opposed to being stored in the vault…
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 10:15 AM)SladeX Wrote: The misgivings regarding Pollack are widespread and predate the season, so the calls for HIS head are not knee jerk reactions. Now, whether this is doable mid season is a fair point, but so is questioning the decision to keep him this year. We have a franchise QB, competent OL play at a minimum seems to a no-brainer, right?

Its like we have a pot of gold sitting in the lobby guarded by a rent a cop as opposed to being stored in the vault…

They're widespread on this board where something gets said, then parroted over and over. Pollack is a well-respected line coach among NFL personnel, and his career shows why
Quote:Frank Pollack is in his 17th season as an NFL coach, and his fourth overall in Cincinnati. He returned to the Bengals staff as offensive line coach in 2021 — with the added distinction of run game coordinator — after previously serving in the same role in 2018.

In 2022, Pollack oversaw an offensive line that featured four offseason acquisitions — free agents Alex Cappa (RG), La'el Collins (ROT) and Ted Karras ©, and fourth-round draft pick Cordell Volson (LG). Along with veteran LOT Jonah Williams, the line boasted the same starting unit for 15 consecutive games and showed improvement as the season progressed. Cincinnati allowed 17 fewer sacks in the second half of the season (14) compared to the first eight games (31), and held each of its final eight opponents to two or fewer sacks. Injuries forced Pollack to insert three reserve linemen into starting roles in the postseason, but the unit stepped up in a Divisional Playoff win at Buffalo, blocking for an offense that totaled 412 net yards (172 rushing).

In 2021, the Bengals' offensive line used eight different starting lineups during the regular season, but still managed to pave the way for HB Joe Mixon's career-high 1205 rushing yards (third in NFL) and 13 rushing TDs (fourth). It also protected QB Joe Burrow, who set single-season team records for passing yards (4611) and passer rating (108.3).

Pollack spent the previous two seasons (2019-20) as offensive line coach with the N.Y. Jets. In 2020, he helped guide the team's first-round pick, Mekhi Becton, to numerous all-rookie honors. In 2019, injuries caused the Jets to use 11 different starting O-linemen (second-most in NFL), but Pollack steered the unit to marked improvement, as it allowed 22 fewer sacks in the second half of the season compared to the first.

During his previous stop with the Bengals in 2018, Pollack helped four new players transition into starting roles. The O-line opened holes for Mixon's 1168 rushing yards.

Pollack spent 2013-17 coaching the offensive line in Dallas, where he developed one of the most dominant units in the NFL. During his tenure, OT Tyron Smith, C Travis Frederick and G Zack Martin each earned Pro Bowl selections from '15-17. In 2016, Dallas' O-line was named the NFL's Offensive Line of the Year, after helping RB Ezekiel Elliott rush for a league-leading 1631 yards and protecting the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, QB Dak Prescott.

In 2015, Pollack guided Smith, Frederick and Martin to All-Pro honors, as the Cowboys ranked fifth in the NFL with 4.63 yards per carry.
Reply/Quote
Well they did say they have the utmost confidence in Jake earlier in the season. Maybe he's giving them insider trading tips in the stock market..That's it!  Who Dey
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 10:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They're widespread on this board where something gets said, then parroted over and over. Pollack is a well-respected line coach among NFL personnel, and his career shows why

So we’re all just a bunch of mindless parrots, is that what you’re saying? Wow dude. It couldn’t possibly be that a fair point was raised regarding Pollacks tenure here, and many have THOUGHTFULLY agreed, could it?
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 10:41 AM)SladeX Wrote: So we’re all just a bunch of mindless parrots, is that what you’re saying? Wow dude. It couldn’t possibly be that a fair point was raised regarding Pollacks tenure here, and many have THOUGHTFULLY agreed, could it?

Some posters insist on consistently defending the organization when struggles persist. I don't agree with those takes but wouldn't think to call them mindless parrots.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 08:25 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's a problem when the entire offense is designed and dependent upon Joe Burrow playing at a super star level.  Truly good coaching should have a contingency plan for when situations like injuries occur.  If they don't find some sort of offensive footing soon, defenders are going to start dropping like flies from playing so fatigued.  We're already seeing the level of play by the defense greatly diminished, after just 4 games.
Shouldn't the offense run through the teams best player though? Also what play calling can be done with Joe's Calf. Can't play him from under center,  can't get him on roll outs, and you can't run the read option with him at QB.  The best they can do is what they are doing.

(10-02-2023, 09:29 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Thats when a coach schemes things to make it work. You guys act like teams can't win with bad QB play or a backup QB. It has a LOT to do with coaching. Yeah, Burrow is limited but a good coach will either scheme something that will work or put a backup in and scheme something with his skill set. If we didn't have such a good weapons I would say there's not much you can do, but good God we have arguably the best offensive weapons in the league with a solid OL. You have to be able scheme something with almost any backup QB in the league 
If you are going to win with a backup QB then you have to have. A.) A great Defensive game and B.) A strong running game. Like we did against the Rams.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 11:30 AM)J24 Wrote: Shouldn't the offense run through the teams best player though? Also what play calling can be done with Joe's Calf. Can't play him from under center,  can't get him on roll outs, and you can't run the read option with him at QB.  The best they can do is what they are doing.

If you are going to win with a backup QB then you have to have. A.) A great Defensive game and B.) A strong running game. Like we did against the Rams.

We have both of those and the best trio of receivers in the NFL. We could easily win with a backup. We would help our defense too by not always having them on the field.
Reply/Quote
The discussions here aren't really any different than they have been the past few years (it's just that people are willing to overlook late in the season making AFCCG and SB). People don't like Zac as OC (I've always been in that camp), and people are frustrated with Pollack and the lack of OL improvement each year. Zac has consistently schemed the team each year based on what he wants not what he has. I love him as a HC, but have never liked him as an OC. He's really stubborn when it comes to play calling and all I can think is that he sees himself as more of a genius than he is. His greatest asset has been building a strong locker room, but he's going to start losing them if the team is getting beat down week after week.

The Pollack thing I don't get, either. They haven't had world blazers on the team in recent years, I get it. But it seems they don't really take steps forward, either. Switching blocking scheme last year during the season was fantastic from a growth/realization standpoint, but concerning that they couldn't see that or realize it before the season even started. That's an adjustment you shouldn't have to make mid-season. Adjustments should be based on a player (like Burrow) not being able to play at all, or at least up to par. Pollack might be highly respected around the league, but he's leaving a lot to be desired when he's in charge of the guys protecting our most expensive player.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 02:25 AM)J24 Wrote: We can't run the offense the way Zac wants to because Burrow is hurt. The offense is limited do to Joe's lack of mobility.

Coaches are suppose to have the ability to adjust
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 12:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Coaches are suppose to have the ability to adjust

Exactly, why is this so hard to comprehend? Last year there are multiple examples of coaches who had to adjust their game due to injuries and did well as a result (49ers, Dolphins, Ravens, etc)  
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 11:39 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: We have both of those and the best trio of receivers in the NFL. We could easily win with a backup. We would help our defense too by not always having them on the field.

Our backup isn't in right now though.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 12:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Coaches are suppose to have the ability to adjust

(10-02-2023, 12:08 PM)GodFather Wrote: Exactly, why is this so hard to comprehend? Last year there are multiple examples of coaches who had to adjust their game due to injuries and did well as a result (49ers, Dolphins, Ravens, etc)  

How are you supposed to adjust when the QB can play on one leg?
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 12:11 PM)J24 Wrote: Our backup isn't in right now though.

He has the ability to be in though. The only thing stopping our backup from playing is the coaches.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 12:13 PM)J24 Wrote: How are you supposed to adjust when the QB can play on one leg?

Well decisions should be made, is Burrow hurting the team with his injury and limited abilities? Put in a backup and let him heal. If you're going to keep him in there, design a gameplay around the limitations. Run the ball more design a game plan around that. 

The Bengals havent scored a TD in the first half yet this year. Whatever Zac is planning its failing miserably. You have to adjust to your current situation. And maybe they should make the tough decision not to play him and let him heal. Players are their own worse enemies, he is going to want to play. Sometimes a head coach needs to protect a player from himself.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 10:41 AM)SladeX Wrote: So we’re all just a bunch of mindless parrots, is that what you’re saying? Wow dude. It couldn’t possibly be that a fair point was raised regarding Pollacks tenure here, and many have THOUGHTFULLY agreed, could it?

First off, anyone that's been here any length of time knows that once something is said once or twice, it often becomes a running agenda without and any merit has no effect. 
Secondly, I didn't call anyone a mindless parrot, I said things get parroted. I guess that struck a nerve? 
Reply/Quote