Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why Are The Bengals So Reluctant To Replace Coaches?
(10-01-2023, 10:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure, but even with a two legged Burrow last year there were plenty calls for Pollack to be replaced last season/offseason. 

He has drafted nobody good, he has developed nobody. He has contributed Billy Price, Jackson Carman, and Cordell Volson to this team. It seems like they change or talk about changing blocking scheme 3 times each year for the last 3 years.

Guy stinks.

whatabout Duke Tobin? he must have some blame here for the piss poor drafting of OL talent
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 10:17 PM)GodFather Wrote: This team is a mess. It's the biggest disappointment I can think of as a Bengal fan heading into the season with huge expectations. We haven't scored a TD yet in the first half through 4 games and the odds of going to the playoffs at 1-3 WITH an injured Burrow? Next to nil..

We could make a book out of the things wrong. Play calling, preparation for a game knowing your putting a QB with zero mobility on the field and defenses ready to blitz him every chance they get and on and on..

But one of the many glaring issues is the coaching for the offensive line. Frank Pollack has been here years and this OL never looked good in any iteration he has coached. Why is he still here? We pickup Brown this offseason, move Williams to the right side and on paper have a solid OL. Not the best but certainly not what we've experienced this first quarter of the season. And yet...he is still here.. the man who wants glass eaters and instead has produced a bunch of ass eaters.

Why isn't something being done about this? Taylors play calling is atrocious and blaming Burrows injury on that is a cop out. Adjust this isn't a new injury. These dinks are a joke and a Pee Wee football team could adjust to the plays called by Zac and company. I won't even get into Zac because he's not going anywhere. Hell Marvin didn't win a playoff game and was here years past his welcome.

So, I'll focus on Pollack, why wont the Bengals see the big issue here and make the change now? It can't get worse.

Lets face it, what you are really saying is fire Coach Taylor.  That was a bandwagon many were on before the back to back AFC Championship Game seasons.  

I'll tell you why the Bengals don't change coaches as much as say the Cleveland Browns.  The Cleveland Browns change coaches and quarterbacks a lot over the last 20 some years, and the result is they don't win.  

It would be foolish to even consider changing Coach Taylor or acting GM Duke Tobin after back to back AFC Championship Game seasons.  They have the say in who their coaches are, not the fickle fans.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 10:07 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s so naive even for you the most naive person on here.

Before Burrow and Katie stepping into a bigger role Zac had 2 and 4 game winning seasons. That's worse than the last couple years of marvin ROFL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Poverty smh
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 10:35 AM)kevin Wrote: Lets face it, what you are really saying is fire Coach Taylor.  That was a bandwagon many were on before the back to back AFC Championship Game seasons.  

I'll tell you why the Bengals don't change coaches as much as say the Cleveland Browns.  The Cleveland Browns change coaches and quarterbacks a lot over the last 20 some years, and the result is they don't win.  

It would be foolish to even consider changing Coach Taylor or acting GM Duke Tobin after back to back AFC Championship Game seasons.  They have the say in who their coaches are, not the fickle fans.  

Tell me one year that the offense didn't underperform under Taylor, who is an offensive minded coach. Every year we're carried by Lou and the defense. We've never been top 10 in yards and we've averaged 23 points in the post season 
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 10:40 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Before Burrow and Katie stepping into a bigger role Zac had 2 and 4 game winning seasons. That's worse than the last couple years of marvin ROFL

And the aging vets and roster sucked.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:33 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And the aging vets and roster sucked.

That sucky roster did twice as good under marvin the previous two years compared to the next two under Zac. We had more than a few good vets still on the team too.
Reply/Quote
Because they are good people. Also, the browns will not let someone go under a contract. Paying for nothing
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:57 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: That sucky roster did twice as good under marvin the previous two years compared to the next two under Zac. We had more than a few good vets still on the team too.

The good news is Taylor will have 5 more years at 8 million to prove you wrong
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 10:07 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s so naive even for you the most naive person on here.

I'm a Bengals' fan, not a Sooner's fan here for the former Sooners. I've been here more than a day. We have previously reviewed the changes that have occurred over the past several years that are way above Zac Taylor's pay grade such as free agency spending. Spending on stadium improvements. Ring of Honor. Indoor practice facility. More amenable to draft trades.  Etcetera. Taylor isn't responsible for any of that.  Ownership is. Specifically, Katie Blackburn.  Taylor is the beneficiary.  Taylor doesn't dictate to ownership how they spend their money.  Period.  Believing otherwise is naive.

And without a healthy Top 3 NFL QB, Taylor is a sub .500 play caller who makes questionable decisions like leaving said injured Top 3 NFL QB in the game during the 4th quarter when the game is out of hand exposing him to potential further injury.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 01:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm a Bengals' fan, not a Sooner's fan here for the former Sooners. I've been here more than a day. We have previously reviewed the changes that have occurred over the past several years that are way above Zac Taylor's pay grade such as free agency spending. Spending on stadium improvements. Ring of Honor. Indoor practice facility. More amenable to draft trades.  Etcetera. Taylor isn't responsible for any of that.  Ownership is. Specifically, Katie Blackburn.  Taylor is the beneficiary.  Taylor doesn't dictate to ownership how they spend their money.  Period.  Believing otherwise is naive.

And without a healthy Top 3 NFL QB, Taylor is a sub .500 play caller who makes questionable decisions like leaving said injured Top 3 NFL QB in the game during the 4th quarter when the game is out of hand exposing him to potential further injury.

Zac Taylor had plenty to do with revamping the roster and winning 3-4 from Reid/Mahomes and beating the Bills in the playoffs. Suggesting otherwise is stupid. And Taylor isn’t a Sooner

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:43 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The good news is Taylor will have 5 more years at 8 million to prove you wrong
Oh God, that would be a nightmare for all bengaldom if Taylor is here that long. 

(10-03-2023, 01:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Zac Taylor had plenty to do with revamping the roster and winning 3-4 from Reid/Mahomes and beating the Bills in the playoffs. Suggesting otherwise is stupid. And Taylor isn’t a Sooner

Actually it's Duke Tobin thats done that to the roster and it's always been known that Tobin has been in charge of that. Idk why you act like beating KC is like winning the SB when that's actually what they do. With a hurt Mahomes no less. We couldn't even win that layup of a SB vs the Rams due to being out coached.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 01:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Zac Taylor had plenty to do with revamping the roster and winning 3-4 from Reid/Mahomes and beating the Bills in the playoffs. Suggesting otherwise is stupid. And Taylor isn’t a Sooner

I never claimed Taylor wasn't involved.  I just don't give all the credit to Taylor as you do.  Again, without the change in their free agency approach since the dawn of free agency, the Bengals aren't as competitive as they have been.  That's due to Katie, not Zac Taylor.  Without Burrow, Zac Taylor isn't 4-1 in the games you referenced. 

Taylor is from Norman, OK, right? One of the reasons you're here, right?

(01-25-2023, 01:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m a neophyte Bengals fan. Just became one with the Zac Taylor regime and of course my Sooners Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine. 
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 01:35 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Oh God, that would be a nightmare for all bengaldom if Taylor is here that long. 

Actually it's Duke Tobin thats done that to the roster and it's always been known that Tobin has been in charge of that. Idk why you act like beating KC is like winning the SB when that's actually what they do. With a hurt Mahomes no less. We couldn't even win that layup of a SB vs the Rams due to being out coached.

Well you are woefully ill informed. Zac and Duke equally involved in the draft.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 02:13 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I never claimed Taylor wasn't involved.  I just don't give all the credit to Taylor as you do.  Again, without the change in their free agency approach since the dawn of free agency, the Bengals aren't as competitive as they have been.  That's due to Katie, not Zac Taylor.  Without Burrow, Zac Taylor isn't 4-1 in the games you referenced. 

Taylor is from Norman, OK, right? One of the reasons you're here, right?

Amazing how success works better with a good QB. Belichick under .500 w/o Brady. Saban a failure at the Dolphins w/o a QB. Payton w/o Brees. Jimmy Johnson before Troy Aikman was horrible. Got the #1 pick … sound familiar? Good grief I can go on and on. Such a tired take.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 02:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well you are woefully ill informed. Zac and Duke equally involved in the draft.

You realize that Tobin is literally the person in charge of stuff like that? Zac definitely has a voice in it, but the final say is Tobin/Katie
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 10:35 AM)kevin Wrote: I'll tell you why the Bengals don't change coaches as much as say the Cleveland Browns.  The Cleveland Browns change coaches and quarterbacks a lot over the last 20 some years, and the result is they don't win.  

The problem with the Browns isn't that they change QBs and coaches so much as it is that they have a cavalcade of crap at QB and HC.  They've had like 35 QBs and 12 HCs since 1999.  Have any of them gone on to succeed elsewhere?  Getting rid of someone isn't a bad move unless they go elsewhere and succeed.

We've had 3 starting QBs for the most part these past 20 years.  How many of the 30+ Browns starting QBs would you place above Palmer, Dalton, or Burrow?  How many of their HCs were even better than Marvin Lewis?  The Browns aren't bad because they fire people, they're bad because of the people they hire.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 02:58 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You realize that Tobin is literally the person in charge of stuff like that? Zac definitely has a voice in it, but the final say is Tobin/Katie

You honestly think that if Zac says, "Don't get that guy" that Tobin and Katie would still get that guy? GTFOH
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 03:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You honestly think that if Zac says, "Don't get that guy" that Tobin and Katie would still get that guy? GTFOH

He has a say, but he's not in charge of it. If Tobin and Katie feel strongly about that player and other people in their scouting department disagrees with Taylor then I would bet they would still draft him. Just like we all knew Marvin didn't want John Ross. Well, it didn't work out but we can see that they do go over the coach.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 10:35 AM)kevin Wrote: Lets face it, what you are really saying is fire Coach Taylor.  That was a bandwagon many were on before the back to back AFC Championship Game seasons.  

Actually Im saying fire Frank Pollack. He hasn't produced since hes been here, 3 out of our 5 offensive lineman our from Super Bowl winning teams and we cant protect Burrow for longer than 1.5 seconds? And it was like this before his calf injury. The line cant produce a consistent run game either. I blame that 100% on coaching and scheming. 

I think Zac Taylor should coach and give up his play calling. Joe Burrow has made him look better than he is and now that Burrow is injured he isnt exactly doing anything different.  Look at the stats we are toe to toe with the Giants as the worst offense in the league now. Get someone else in here calling plays.

Zac is doing a piss poor job this year plain and simple. I never saw an entire team so outplayed, and unprepared as I did against the Titans. I thought I went back to the 90's in a Time Machine. 
Reply/Quote