Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why Do You Like This Draft!
(05-01-2022, 10:37 AM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: I had a discussion after the Super Bowl with a friend and fellow fan. We both agreed the OL needed help, then laughed about how many years we've said that and nothing happens. The Bengals essentially told us to shut the hell up by signing 3 OL studs.

The Bengals did go out and pick up some OL in free agency and that did make the team better. But that was after 2 years of being about as bad as you could be. Letting your #1 pick get his knee shredded and then follow that up with the most sacks allowed and the reason you lost a superbowl. It's good but we need more depth and in my opinion someone to legitimately challenge Carman. We've been waiting on players to step up on the line for years now. So this year it's just one so that is better. But when is the last time we made it thru the year with all the starters on the oline staying healthy? We need more depth.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 01:28 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: To the naysayers, who would you have picked at #31 based on who was available? Who would you have taken in round 2, again, based on players available?

I'm not a naysayer, but here's how I would have probably picked:
1) Dax Hill (All the OL I would have wanted were gone)
2) CTB
3) Perrion Winfrey (was surprised he was still there)
4) Khalil Shakir, WR/RS Boise St
5) James Mitchell, TE Va Tech
7) JoJo Domann, LB Nebraska

I realize that there would have been no OL taken in the above draft, but I wasn't happy with the remaining OL when the Bengals picked in Rd 4, and Winfrey would have been too enticing to pass up.

As soon as the draft was over, I'd have immediately started calling up a couple vet OL for depth spots.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:35 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I don't like this draft and I know I'm not alone. So please tell us how this will win the division when everyone in it got better except the Bengals. This was supposed to be a backfill draft of quality depth players but we got ....Nothing of the sort. Yes, we addressed the safety position but at what cost. No tightend No wideout 1 offensive lineman but who are your backups! The other teams in the division got better but we didn't! Stop talking yourself into it. Quinton Spain will be signed at some point but he costs a SB.

(05-01-2022, 12:08 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think this is a good post. I'm not a fan of the draft for the most part myself. I also think it's not about being hysterical just more about discussing the positives and negatives of the draft. People want to act like the front office can't make mistakes. This is probably the most disappointed I've been in a draft that I can remember.

Who would you guys have drafted?

I am sure someone has probably already asked you thins, but i am not digging through 6 pages of what looks like a troll thread to find the answer.  So if you have already answered just post a link to the post number.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 01:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not a naysayer, but here's how I would have probably picked:
1) Dax Hill (All the OL I would have wanted were gone)
2) CTB
3) Perrion Winfrey (was surprised he was still there)
4) Khalil Shakir, WR/RS Boise St
5) James Mitchell, TE Va Tech
7) JoJo Domann, LB Nebraska

I realize that there would have been no OL taken in the above draft, but I wasn't happy with the remaining OL when the Bengals picked in Rd 4, and Winfrey would have been too enticing to pass up.

As soon as the draft was over, I'd have immediately started calling up a couple vet OL for depth spots.

Whoa now, don't negate your Nostraocho ways.
Reply/Quote
I liked how the secondary was addressed with guys that are athletic
Enough to be lined up in various spots .
Adding Zachery Carter to the interior to give juice to the pass rush
Is always good.
What I didn't like was the neglecting the TE postion. If Hayden Hurst
Misses any amount of time, we are screwed at that position.
Sample is a joke/draft bust. Moss has shown nothing at this level
Wilcox is a,large frame target with the speed of a refrigerator.
Also not thrilled that the lack of field changer at kick returner
Was not addressed. Taylor is just blah as a returner . Much like Alex Erickson
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who would you guys have drafted?

It's not that I dislike the players. I would've preferred OL in Rd 1 but it wasn't there. I would've liked to trade out of 1 but the QB's weren't going and the option may not have been there. Dax Hill is a playmaker and brings versatility. I like CTB and even though I would've preferred to keep the 6th Rd I'll trust the staff that there may have been a legitimate threat he would go before our pick. Carter I believe gives us versatility and even though he may or may not be able to be a starter if injuries happen I like him and think he'll make us better. I'm fine with OL in Rd 4 we need more competition and depth and you have to trust the coaches with the players they like. We're it loses me is trading up to get Tycen. Maybe it's silly to worry about late picks but you could get Jojo Domman he had special teams experience and could contribute to the defense in a rotation and as depth. A Wr like Bo Melton or someone else with return experience a TE. Also drafting another safety leaves me with the feeling of either letting Bates walk or seriously test the market so you can either match or move on. Then we could use that money on either completing the OL rebuild or a free agent at another position. Also I'll say on Gunter I would've preferred a different position. I've just seen so many late DE's that just never contribute.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who would you guys have drafted?

I am sure someone has probably already asked you thins, but i am not digging through 6 pages of what looks like a troll thread to find the answer.  So if you have already answered just post a link to the post number.

I asked who they would have drafted as well, especially at #31 and in round 2 based on who was available.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 02:24 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: It's not that I dislike the players. I would've preferred OL in Rd 1 but it wasn't there. I would've liked to trade out of 1 but the QB's weren't going and the option may not have been there. Dax Hill is a playmaker and brings versatility. I like CTB and even though I would've preferred to keep the 6th Rd I'll trust the staff that there may have been a legitimate threat he would go before our pick. Carter I believe gives us versatility and even though he may or may not be able to be a starter if injuries happen I like him and think he'll make us better. I'm fine with OL in Rd 4 we need more competition and depth and you have to trust the coaches with the players they like. We're it loses me is trading up to get Tycen. Maybe it's silly to worry about late picks but you could get Jojo Domman he had special teams experience and could contribute to the defense in a rotation and as depth. A Wr like Bo Melton or someone else with return experience a TE. Also drafting another safety leaves me with the feeling of either letting Bates walk or seriously test the market so you can either match or move on. Then we could use that money on either completing the OL rebuild or a free agent at another position. Also I'll say on Gunter I would've preferred a different position. I've just seen so many late DE's that just never contribute.

So this is "the most disappointed in any draft you can remember", and yet you biggest complaint is that we traded up in the fifth round and then did not select a player that no other team in the league felt was good enough to draft (Donmann)?

I have a nomination for "Drama Queen of the Year".
Reply/Quote
It wasn't a sexy draft, but we got a coupla intriguing prospects... I'd rather be a contender band have drafts like this one than keep getting shots at top 5 picks. It's also ridiculous to claim the Bengals didn't improve their roster.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

I don't like this draft and I know I'm not alone. So please tell us how this will win the division when everyone in it got better except the Bengals. This was supposed to be a backfill draft of quality depth players but we got ....Nothing of the sort. Yes, we addressed the safety position but at what cost. No tightend No wideout 1 offensive lineman but who are your backups! The other teams in the division got better but we didn't! Stop talking yourself into it. Quinton Spain will be signed at some point but he costs a SB.

First off, you don't win games in the offseason. 

Teams that go to the playoffs and win playoff games in one year are usually going back the next. There are teams who go year after year and that means they are drafting low, but they still keep on winning. 

We have 3 TEs right now. And by the way, I think we aren't even going to throw that much to our TE. We are already have enough high level skilled ball catchers that we aren't going to be hurting there. 

We needed defensive backs and we got some. It was never gonna be a draft where we got some new superstar but we improved the defense, which helps everything. We've already improved the offensive line in free agency. If that last part weren't true then maybe you'd have an argument but we went out and spent big. We were very close to winning it all and we've already improved our one weakness before the draft. So beefing up our defensive secondary is just gravy. Even so, it does in fact improve the team. 

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 09:50 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: We already know we have one of the best and balanced offenses in the NFL. Plus, we have “off the charts” playmakers. We addressed the elephant in the room with the OL in FA. Now, we bolstered a good defense, and made it significantly better. I don’t know what there is in this draft that’s not to like? You can make arguments that one player was a little better or worse than where we drafted them. But, there’s not a miss or an egregious reach anywhere in our draft.

We’re a better team today than we were a week ago.

You want to compare us to the rest of the North? How much of a powder keg are the Browns? In a draft of week QBs, the Steelers acted like what they have in the locker room was not good enough. They’re right. Talk about a reach………

Ravens…..I know people are high on them. But, they let a lot of their elite talent walk.

I’m just fine with what the Bengals did. Again, they’re a better team, via the draft and FA.

The Browns have a new Elite Quarterback now.That instantly ranks them as a SB contender,with all the other talent they have.Not sure yet how long of a suspension he will be facing yet,so we’ll have to wait and see.
The AFC as a whole,is as strong as I’ve ever seen it.It’s going to be very tough getting to the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP this coming season.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Facepalm

In what world does CTB competing with Apple for CB2 or even being 1st off the bench = “not improved at all?”

Why do people have to go into full on hysterics just because they didn’t get the players they wanted?

Yes. This Draft was the least exciting Draft we have had for a reason. We are legit now and don't need splash picks. We went and
got the guys we wanted to put our team over the top. Our Secondary is stacked now along with our DL and we added a depth OL
in Volson who looks like a stud. Also really liking our UDFA's.

Good luck beating this team with this Defense and a protected Burrow with Mixon and Evans running through giant holes in the 
run game.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 03:00 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: First off, you don't win games in the offseason. 

Teams that go to the playoffs and win playoff games in one year are usually going back the next. There are teams who go year after year and that means they are drafting low, but they still keep on winning. 

We have 3 TEs right now. And by the way, I think we aren't even going to throw that much to our TE. We are already have enough high level skilled ball catchers that we aren't going to be hurting there. 

We needed defensive backs and we got some. It was never gonna be a draft where we got some new superstar but we improved the defense, which helps everything. We've already improved the offensive line in free agency. If that last part weren't true then maybe you'd have an argument but we went out and spent big. We were very close to winning it all and we've already improved our one weakness before the draft. So beefing up our defensive secondary is just gravy. Even so, it does in fact improve the team. 

This draft was unique, the first time I can remember when the Bengals had the luxury of drafting BPA since they had no immediate needs for starters.
Yet they went defense in 5 of 6 picks at spots they can anticipate to have big needs in 2023.
Settles it for me, Bengals favor drafting on near needs over best player on the board.
I like the results though, that got them to the super bowl.
Reply/Quote
Why? Because their first two picks, especially Hill who I think couldnt have been a better one, will help this defense big time due to below.

Bengals will be facing division rivals Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson four times a season. Then on top of that they will be facing the other AFC QBs at some point such as Mahomes, Russel Wilson, Allan, Herbert and so-on.

So yeah, drafting Hill and Britt imo are sorely needed in countering the QBs they will be facing.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Wilson, Watson, Carr, and Ryan all QB AFC teams in our way to get back to the Super Bowl. We were stupid thin at DB 4 days ago. You don't beat those guys without good DBs. We are built to compete for a championship.

I'd love to lock Bates up long term and maybe get Apple and Bell back at reasonable rates and lock in a deep talented group for a while.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 03:21 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Wilson, Watson, Carr, and Ryan all QB AFC teams in our way to get back to the Super Bowl. We were stupid thin at DB 4 days ago. You don't beat those guys without good DBs. We are built to compete for a championship.

Exactly. And this season, the Bengals will have the bullseye on the back.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

All these grades for the Bengals draft aren't worth the keyboard I'm typing this on. Here are the grades for the 2015 Bengals Draft:

ESPN: B+
NFL.com: A+
CBS Sports: B
SI: B+

If you don't remember, that's the draft where we picked Ogbuehi, Fisher, Kroft, Dawson, Shaw, Hardison, Derron Smith and Alford. Hey, at least we hit on Uzomah in the 5th round.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 03:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes. This Draft was the least exciting Draft we have had for a reason. We are legit now and don't need splash picks. We went and
got the guys we wanted to put our team over the top. Our Secondary is stacked now along with our DL and we added a depth OL
in Volson who looks like a stud. Also really liking our UDFA's.

Good luck beating this team with this Defense and a protected Burrow with Mixon and Evans running through giant holes in the 
run game.

The job for the organization is to get better after a concluding season. First is resigning key players. B J Hill combined with D J Reader to form possibly the best run defense in the league in the late season and playoffs. Signed. Free Agency …C J Uzomah leaves and they replace him with Hayden Hurst not as good in some areas but arrives with a huge chip on his shoulder and a better passing target and threat. Good luck defending him on the deep seam routes. You replace 3 starters in the OL with solid proven experienced veterans. PFF rankings make them a possible top 10 unit now. Big upgrade.

Now to the draft… the weakest spot on the team is cornerback and Eli Apple. You draft Dax Hill a potential replacement but Cam Taylor-Britt the more expected competition. Britt is the most well rounded corner in the draft. He’s physical, he’s fast, and including his vertical and arm length plays much longer than 5.11. Some question passing on Travis Jones there. Good point but Jones is unlikely to start. Hill and CTB give you 2 shots at fixing your most worrisome position.

Next you address the depth at DT with Zach Carter from UF. This pick is my biggest scrutiny. But I’m sure Marion Hobby and Lou hashed out their board at DT and he was their highest available. I’m sure not foolish enough to fight it out with them.

Now you are faced with areas of depth that all teams struggle with. It’s just hard to fix them all. Tight End? You’ve got Sample more of a blocker and a vet in your system. You have the starter Hurst who is the opposite of Sample as a strong receiver and Redzone factor. I’ll pass. You’ve already addressed the secondary depth in your first 2 picks and DT with the third. What’s next? Running back? Nope Perine is good in blitz and Evans looks to take a huge leap in year 2. So what about the OL? Well might be good to get a versatile guard/tackle? Volson is interesting. If like Pollack said he wants a glass eater or a lineman with shit in his neck Volson fits that. The guy is as blue collar as you get. But I’ve said this elsewhere he’s mean. Burrow hates a collapsed pocket. He likes two step up. Teams were defending us knowing Joe hates that and pushed our interior line back a lot. Well with the free agents and damn sure Volson that ain’t happening.

So I don’t see that we’ve not improved this team a lot. Baltimore had a great draft. But they don’t have a receiver threat and our secondary is much better equipped now for Lamar IMO. Lou seems to have figured out the Lamar’s, Watson’s, and Mahome types out. Hilton and Taylor-Britt are great tacklers. Hill is as well. Bell too.

We can’t be the Green Bay Packers of the 60’s with today’s NFL. No team escapes depth issues at every spot.
Reply/Quote
This was a fine draft. Hill is (and others said so) a major steal who should have gone earlier. High character, high skills and tackling and speed to boot. CTB likewise is high character with good tackling and coverage and speed. Note the common aspect of speed - our defensive backend got a huge injection of speed.

Carter is the one you need to look more closely then it becomes apparent. A lot of the "analysts" overlooked him because the had him as EDGE. The Bengals don't and have him as 3T. And when you isolate his performance and scouting on 3T he grades far higher. Cater is not here to line up opposite Trey and rush the passer from there - he is in essence slotted into the role Ogunjobi was playing in rotation with BJ Hill.

In a similar vein, Colson is not projected by the team as OT but rather as OG. And as OG he has the traits needed and they have the needed time to coach him up. Anderson is another DB with good cover skills and speed and Gunter is a DE/LB tweener who improves both the DL and LB Rooms in depth terms.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 01:46 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The Bengals did go out and pick up some OL in free agency and that did make the team better. But that was after 2 years of being about as bad as you could be. Letting your #1 pick get his knee shredded and then follow that up with the most sacks allowed and the reason you lost a superbowl. It's good but we need more depth and in my opinion someone to legitimately challenge Carman. We've been waiting on players to step up on the line for years now. So this year it's just one so that is better. But when is the last time we made it thru the year with all the starters on the oline staying healthy? We need more depth.

Yeah and the coaches who have forgotten more about football than you and those who think like you will ever know, disagree.  

You, layman armchair GM are not convincing at all and repeating the same arguments, backed by no more evidence than your opinion, is laughable.
Reply/Quote