Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why Do You Like This Draft!
For those that weren't satisfied with the draft and thinking other teams did a better job drafting. They are still missing what we have. . . Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:35 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I don't like this draft and I know I'm not alone. So please tell us how this will win the division when everyone in it got better except the Bengals. This was supposed to be a backfill draft of quality depth players but we got ....Nothing of the sort. Yes, we addressed the safety position but at what cost. No tightend No wideout 1 offensive lineman but who are your backups! The other teams in the division got better but we didn't! Stop talking yourself into it. Quinton Spain will be signed at some point but he costs a SB.

Dude, you are like a bacterial infection.  Nothing positive and makes you feel like crap...well, I am here to be your antibiotic.  And before you chastise me as a homer, hear me out:

The way Lou Anarumo uses our defensive backs is not a traditional:  "You play safety and you play CB".  He uses them like chess pieces and now that he has a group of guys that have bought in to his scheme (yes, that is directed at you Carlos), he held Mahommes to 3 points in TWO different second halves of games.

The depth behind Bell and Bates was not even paper thin, it was air.  They added two speed merchants that can help on special teams right away (people always seem to forget the importance of that) and can gain valuable experience in three safety looks.  It also helps to prepare them in the event of an injury, and Hill has even played some outside CB.   They also have great flexibility in the future contracts of Bates and Bell to help avoid a big drop off in play if they move on.

The CB they drafted is a guy they know a lot about given ZTs connections with Nebraska.  If they wanted that guy so badly that they gave up a 6th round pick to make sure they got him (as we feared, the run on CBs had already happened), then I support it.  They probably know him more than any other NFL team and they wanted to make sure they got him.  Ran a 4.38 at the combine and shined in positional drills.  As soiid as his coverage rates (Rated GOOD at 57 (!) coverage snaps against those three studs from Ohio State...all NFL talent), his strength is his physical nature of tackling and versatility.  Again, another chess piece for Lou.

I am not as high on the third round player, but here is what I see about him:  Production.  He may not have the most eye-popping traits, but he was very productive, with 7.5 sacks and 11.5 TFLs in the SEC last year.  Fits their mold of a high-energy guy that is nasty on the field.  As a fringe top 100 pick, I will take that.  

Volson, the fourth round pick, is a tough-as-nails OT that projects to guard here because Pollack said he has the toughness and strength to hold up inside, and comes with a ton of experience (played in 65 games and had 41 consecutive starts) in a pro-style offense.  That last line is not trivial.  So many of these tackles from spread teams have no experience holding a block more than one second.  He could be a real find in the end of round 4.  Pollack likes him, so I do as well.  

The fifth rounder, Tycen Anderson, is another athletic freak that will provide quality depth and rotational snaps as well as contribute right away on special teams.  

As far as not getting a TE, they clearly didn't think this  year's class had more to offer than Wilcox or even Moss at the end of the position group.  I am sure they will still likely sign a burner at WR to return kicks and compete for depth at the position, but in a group that starts with Chase, Higgins, and Boyd, how high a pick do you want to use on a guy that would essentially only be a depth player?  

If you think any one team in the division got better than the Bengals, please list them and describe their ENTIRE offseason maneuvers.   You have to discuss their losses with their gains.  I can have that discussion.  Other than that, the whining is sad and a little pathetic.  The defending AFC Champs signed THREE excellent upgrades on the offensive line.  THREE!  They lost Ogunjobi and CJ.  That's it.  They are leaps and bounds better than last year.  Show me another team that is better in our division and we can discuss.  Other than that, Who Dey!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you think any one team in the division got better than the Bengals, please list them and describe their ENTIRE offseason maneuvers.   You have to discuss their losses with their gains.  I can have that discussion.  Other than that, the whining is sad and a little pathetic.  The defending AFC Champs signed THREE excellent upgrades on the offensive line.  THREE!  They lost Ogunjobi and CJ.  That's it.  They are leaps and bounds better than last year.  Show me another team that is better in our division and we can discuss.  Other than that, Who Dey!

/endthread 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:07 PM)QueenCity Wrote: /endthread 

This reads as end end thread.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The two people who posted BS threads like this are both massive Buckeye homers.

That's all you need to know.

/endthread

EDIT* lol, I see someone else wrote, "/endthread," above as well LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
We are a better team after this draft. Drafted multiple team captains and guys used to winning awards and winning games in their respective conferences. I think 3/4 first 4 picks are ready to contribute NOW which is amazing. I could easily see that offensive lineman taking that last open starting position. Guys like that tend to slide by and be 10 year starters out of nowhere. The guys that weren’t likely gonna see much PT this year are at the very least athletic freaks so they’ll be good projects for the coaches to mold.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:21 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The two people who posted BS threads like this are both massive Buckeye homers.

That's all you need to know.

/endthread

EDIT* lol, I see someone else wrote, "/endthread," above as well LOL

It seems to me that management is planning to let our current safeties go to build enough cash to sign burrow chase and others to long term deals.

I think they earned our trust with last season and recent free agency inckuding their evaluation of the Florida d lineman.

They can’t keep everyone and sign burrow etc.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:53 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: At 31, what higher profile guy was there? Same with our 2nd Round pick?

This was just a weird draft.

Myself personally I don’t think they could have done any better, but I would say I wished they would have drafted TE in the 3rd and maybe a receiver to develop. But honestly I know if Carter develops he’s a rotational disruptor with his long arms and Tylenol is a special teams ace if nothing else and that’s important too. I’m really warming up to this draft if 5 players are playing in the near future.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:29 PM)bengals67 Wrote: It seems to me that management is planning to let our current safeties go to build enough cash to sign burrow chase and others to long term deals.

I think they earned our trust with last season and recent free agency inckuding their evaluation of the Florida d lineman.

I think it’s genius that now Bell or Bates who wants the one spot in 2023? They have some leverage now.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:29 PM)bengals67 Wrote: It seems to me that management is planning to let our current safeties go to build enough cash to sign burrow chase and others to long term deals.

It's contingency planning AND getting better here and now with players than can play multiple positions, which increases overall flexibility.  

On a side note:  Teams are going to be spending A LOT of time on the field trying to catch the Bengals offense as I expect Burrow t just naturally get better, AND having an actual decent OLine.  The more flexibility you have on the field, the more difficult it will be for the opposing offense to exploit a weakness.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:35 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I don't like this draft and I know I'm not alone. So please tell us how this will win the division when everyone in it got better except the Bengals. This was supposed to be a backfill draft of quality depth players but we got ....Nothing of the sort. Yes, we addressed the safety position but at what cost. No tightend No wideout 1 offensive lineman but who are your backups! The other teams in the division got better but we didn't! Stop talking yourself into it. Quinton Spain will be signed at some point but he costs a SB.

Hill provides valuable backup/rotational snaps to safety and slot CB. If either of the safeties or Hilton has to be out, Bengals now have quality insurance.

CTB offers legit competition to Apple for starting outside CB reps.

Carter gives the Bengals a nickel DT to play next to Hill. None of Reader, Tupou, or Shelvin give that ability. They are NT guys.

Volson adds another versatile depth OL. Unlike Adeniji, Volson is a mauler. He’s more of the style pollack seems to want. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Adeniji cut by end of preseason.

Anderson offers ST ability, similar to how Fejedelem used to be.

The DE will challenge one of the final roster spots with Kareem, Hubert, and Ray. Might end up on the PS.

Bengals really just missed out on TE, WR4, and maybe a RB. They also could have used a better PR than Taylor. Unfortunately they didn’t really have good options at TE or WR with their 5th pick, so I’m glad they didn’t reach for need.

With that said, they improved from their SB run via FA. Much upgraded OL and at worst a push at TE. They could always re-sign Spain and Ogunjobi to add more trenches depth. Ravens, Browns, and Steelers didn’t upgrade their teams in FA as the Bengals did, so they had more needs to fill in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:57 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
Its not about going hysterical about the players that we didnt want but more about the selections that aren't making the team better. This draft didn't make this team better going into next season. The first two picks aren't starters on this team. The third guy isnt as well nor the forth or the fifth. I get that this team doesn't have many holes but who are the backups barring injury along the offensive line, WR, TE, linebacker. Hell you could even argue RB

There were really no starting positions available. The only ones to potentially have a competition are CB2 and LG. CTB is a more than qualified challenger for CB2. There wasn’t really any OL in the draft starting at 31 that would have been a clear cut upgrade at LG. Carter can come in and play nickel DT whether you care to admit it or not.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There were really no starting positions available. The only ones to potentially have a competition are CB2 and LG. CTB is a more than qualified challenger for CB2. There wasn’t really any OL in the draft starting at 31 that would have been a clear cut upgrade at LG. Carter can come in and play nickel DT whether you care to admit it or not.

Emeritus lost me when he said we made Bates mad and didn’t do anything to improve the team in the off season.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:57 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
Its not about going hysterical about the players that we didnt want but more about the selections that aren't making the team better. This draft didn't make this team better going into next season. The first two picks aren't starters on this team. The third guy isnt as well nor the forth or the fifth. I get that this team doesn't have many holes but who are the backups barring injury along the offensive line, WR, TE, linebacker. Hell you could even argue RB
Every team has holes. No team feels complete.  You don't reach in the draft for need that could get you in trouble.  

Cincinnati clearly had a planned for this year's draft and I think that plan is geared
Is geared towards playing future opponents on the path to another playoff run.  They're thinking of Kansas City and the Buffalo bills in particular.  I think there's going to be some tinkering with the defense and the Bengals are going to be very hard to throw against.  Their special team is going to be a nightmare for people.   

Smith will be the swing tackle and he has tremendous length and potential.  Volson is a monster at right guard, but I guess they'll try them at left guard.  I think Ben Brown and that long snapper from pit will make the team.  The draft was thin in terms of talent. I mean the quarterbacks were falling like rocks.

Also, this team made it to the super bowl and have carved out roles for particular player. They are very particular on whom they bring into the building. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:16 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Ravens had a great draft, no doubt. But they had great draft position. They lost a lot of players in free agency and have a lot of key players on the mend. Their areas of weakness in wide receiver and corner weren’t addressed (wideout is weaker now then before the draft and they picked a couple mid-late round corners). They picked a really promising pass rusher that likely doesn’t play at all this year.

Your talking about not trading up to save a 6th and 7th round pick? What are the odds of the hypothetical players we select with those picks making the team? I’d say significantly less than a coin flip.we can fill out our depth/training camp roster in free agency.

Jojo domman, lecitus smith, Bo Melton and Isaiah Thomas to name a few are players we could've taken that I think could've legitimately contributed with some of them having special teams promise. 

I like the players we took. But I think we should've been looking to add picks not get rid of picks.
Reply/Quote
To the naysayers, who would you have picked at #31 based on who was available? Who would you have taken in round 2, again, based on players available?
Reply/Quote
The Ravens ended the year with 17 players on IR… They drafted 11 players. They will not be able to hide a project like Faalele on their PS.

So to be perfectly honest, unless they plan on putting 11 rookies on their final squad, we will get another shot at some of the picks that people think are amazing. We’ll just get a shot at them after they’ve learned a little bit about the Raven’s intended scheme for the upcoming year.

It’s okay that we didn’t draft and sign 53 players.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:26 PM)Housh Wrote: We are a better team after this draft. Drafted multiple team captains and guys used to winning awards and winning games in their respective conferences. I think 3/4 first 4 picks are ready to contribute NOW which is amazing. I could easily see that offensive lineman taking that last open starting position. Guys like that tend to slide by and be 10 year starters out of nowhere. The guys that weren’t likely gonna see much PT this year are at the very least athletic freaks so they’ll be good projects for the coaches to mold.

I think Hill, CTB, and Carter could all contribute quality reps as rookies.
Volson might have a chance to win the starting LG job, although I'd currently still put Carman as the favorite for that.
Anderson should be an immediate ST contributor.
Gunter may not make the roster as a rookie and have to settle for the PS, but that's ok for Pick 252.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 01:32 PM)maclanta Wrote: The Ravens ended the year with 17 players on IR… They drafted 11 players. They will not be able to hide a project like Faalele on their PS.

So to be perfectly honest, unless they plan on putting 11 rookies on their final squad, we will get another shot at some of the picks that people think are amazing. We’ll just get a shot at them after they’ve learned a little bit about the Raven’s intended scheme for the upcoming year.

It’s okay that we didn’t draft and sign 53 players.

I found their selections of Linderbaum and Faalele to be head scratching.
Faalele is going to succeed more when he doesn't have to move as much.
On the flip side, I think Linderbaum's strength is being on the move compared to having to be stationary.
Curious to see those two on the field together.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I liked most of the players drafted I mentioned a bunch of them in the draft section as players I liked but I wasn't thrilled about the draft class as a whole... Which is understandable picking at the end of every round. It seemed like the players I expected the Bengals were targeting went a few picks ahead of their pick like at TE specifically. That said in a year when most of the NFL was aggressively trading around the only thing the Bengals did was move up a few spots a couple of times.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote