Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why Do You Like This Draft!
(05-01-2022, 01:34 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I have to agree with your analysis for the most part.Although I think we did get a few quality potential starters for this team in the future.This team needs to be in WIN NOW mode.I’m not seeing it.They should have brought in JC Tretter while they had the chance,to put the finishing touches on the OL instead of drafting a fourth rounder.Bringing Tretter in would have changed everything,and made it a complete line with no uncertainty.

Tiger

I hate every team in this division not named Bengals but I'm a realist. I know when this team left something on the table on draft weekend and when the enemies got stronger. We'll need to bring in a few more vets this summer to plug holes and the schedule will come out on 5/12 so we could learn more then. The AFC as a whole is the same in my opinion still tough and the healthy teams will likely be there in the end. The AFCN&West will be a blood bath!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:08 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: People want to act like the front office can't make mistakes.

LOL.

Are you new here?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 01:43 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I hate every team in this division not named Bengals but I'm a realist. I know when this team left something on the table on draft weekend and when the enemies got stronger. We'll need to bring in a few more vets this summer to plug holes and the schedule will come out on 5/12 so we could learn more then. The AFC as a whole is the same in my opinion still tough and the healthy teams will likely be there in the end. The AFCN&West will be a blood bath!

LOL the enemies are trying to catch up to us. They have more space to get better than we do, we have more space to get worse, but we didn't go backwards, we plowed ahead with a Better OL than we've had in a while.

Useless to argue with you until you list WHO you would have drafted that would have made this an "A" draft in your books
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 01:28 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
Most of thier starters were hurt down the stretch. I don't know the exact number of players that were out but I do know that it was double digits. If you add the additions this weekend then they are a threat to win the division. As I said earlier the receiving core that the Steelers have now is very formidable wth Pickens and Austin added to what they already had. I didn't see all of the Browns draft but I did see that they got even better on the defensive line. 

The Ravens are not a better team on paper this year than they were last year.  The Bengals are a better team on paper than they were last off-season.  The Ravens had injuries, but they also got completely annihilated in both meetings.  Did they improve 28+ ppg more than the Bengals even including injured players returning?  Doubtful.  Can they come back from multiple possessions down to win games as currently constructed?  No.

The Steelers added Pickens and Austin in the draft, but lost JuJu and Washington in FA.  It really seems like you are only paying attention to the players our division rivals are adding and not the ones they're losing.  Not to mention those WR's will have Rudolph, Trubisky, or a rookie QB from an abysmal class throwing to them.

Again, the Browns drafted Wright and Winfrey, but lost Clowney and McKinley in FA.  How are they better than before on DL?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People are killing the Bengals for stockpiling DB’s when it’s literally the one position you can get extra guys on the field all at once, but apparently it’s super smart for the Ravens to have 37 TE’s on their roster…

The Ravens FO is seriously acting like they are taking all of Lamar's weapons away from him so he has a down year and has to settle for a lesser contract.
Reply/Quote
I'm generally positive about this group.  When you can marry great athleticism with being a "football player" with high "football character" that tends to be a winning combination.  These DBs should be able to zip all around the field and cover for potential injuries.  I also like that they stayed committed to building through the trenches.  You can't be a finesse team that relies too much on skill position players because this is still football.  They went out and got some trench guys who play with some strong hands and have some good upper body strength.  Solid, positive vibe sort of draft all in all.  Can hardly believe they got Hill - he seems to possess both a high floor and a high ceiling - I think that the Bengals got away with one because of the depth at safety in this class.   
Reply/Quote
I like our draft because it improved the depth of the secondary, D-Line, and Offensive line. The first four picks are starting capable and fit what the Bengals want in a player. All experienced, all mature, and all Athletically gjfted.

As far as what I don’t like I wanted a full time 3T(Carter is a tweener), a 4th WR, and all around defensive end. In truth though it was hard draft to get those positions. 3T was light, WR class was top heavy, and the Defensive Ends were a bit small. Would have preferred to trade down but QB needy teams were not high on the QBs this season.

All in all I think the Front office did an excellent job in finding value.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Ossai is also coming back so thats like a bonus pick. We did fine in the draft. We got a CB and S to help take over. Bates is not signed yet. He could sit out. At TE we lost CJ and signed Hurst. We need a WR4. Big deal there are tons of good WR4 sitting in FA right now. We have plenty of cap space to sign a few FAs and our 6 draft picks. We got 3 huge upgrade to our OL in FA. LG is the only spot that I am not sold on at all. We have depth. We have drafted a lot fo young OL guys in the last 2 years. We are expecting them to progress. I do not mind that. There are also a ton of UDFA I am sure we will bring in. Calm down and look at what we lost and what we gained
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:38 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Don't forget that the Ravens weren't healthy and to add to the roster what they just did over the weekend make them very formidable. Now you can believe otherwise if you want to but have they really used wideouts in thier offense. They'll have Rashad Bateman coming back from injury as well.

Yes, the Ravens had a great draft. But they had 11 picks in the 7 rounds, most of them early in the rounds.   But remember how Lamar was so ticked off that he tweeted a WTF to the Linderbaum pick, because the Ravens got that pick (actually, ended up a first and 2 4ths) because they traded his only speed receiver. I wouldn't be jealous of the Ravens: they had a boat load of well-positioned picks. Bengals could have done the same if they hadn't the terrible misfortune (/sarc) of BEING IN THE SUPER BOWL.  For where the Bengals drafted they did great. Hope we end up in even worse position in next years draft and the Ravens have great draft position again.
Reply/Quote
Let me add, that after this draft, the Bengals look like they have a defense that may be the best in my lifetime. Of course, that requires they stay healthy. But they have terrific playmakers at every position, and playmakers who are versatile and can fill in other positions when needed. I don't remember ever being so confident in a defense as I am with the players the Bengals now have.

In addition, with only 6 picks, and late round ones at that, the Bengals should have plenty of money left if they need to sign a free agent to address any weaknesses.

I'm just thrilled that the Bengals so adroitly addressed their positions of need in terms of defense and look to have a very formidable defense.
Reply/Quote
Had no problem with the draft. People are mad we didn’t draft starters? I’m not sure what positions a rookie could come in and start at outside of LG or CB and we addressed the secondary. Hill was best available and should play a lot as a rookie. It’s a passing league and the AFC is stacked and we got more versatile in the secondary where you start multiple defensive backs. We have two guys from the secondary under contract next year. Lou’s defense carried us in the playoffs and I’m confident in him. Are offense had the best skill guys in the league last year and we added 3 good starters to the line to go along with Williams.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 05:29 AM)CloeHokie Wrote: Ossai is also coming back so thats like a bonus pick. We did fine in the draft. We got a CB and S to help take over. Bates is not signed yet. He could sit out. At TE we lost CJ and signed Hurst. We need a WR4. Big deal there are tons of good WR4 sitting in FA right now. We have plenty of cap space to sign a few FAs and our 6 draft picks. We got 3 huge upgrade to our OL in FA. LG is the only spot that I am not sold on at all. We have depth. We have drafted a lot fo young OL guys in the last 2 years. We are expecting them to progress. I do not mind that. There are also a ton of UDFA I am sure we will bring in. Calm down and look at what we lost and what we gained

Yup and the sky fell completely to the ground a couple decades ago - no need for folks to worry about that now.
The Bengals are the AFC Champions and absolutely did get better in the off season!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 01:46 AM)kdgjr Wrote: LOL.

Are you new here?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Okay that's fair. But when it comes to the draft / off season. At least during the off season before we can look back after seeing what didn't work.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:08 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think this is a good post. I'm not a fan of the draft for the most part myself. I also think it's not about being hysterical just more about discussing the positives and negatives of the draft. People want to act like the front office can't make mistakes. This is probably the most disappointed I've been in a draft that I can remember.

Everyone wants a flashy name or they somehow think the draft is bad.  When you go to the Super Bowl the previous year you are not drafting difference makers.  We addressed Oline in last years draft.  Some of these lineman will make a jump in year 2.

The only place where I can somewhat understand the angst is TE.  Still, we replaced CJ with Hurst and to be honest don't use the TE as a primary target in the passing game.  
Reply/Quote
The more I’ve looked at the draft the more I’m convinced Lou has some sub packages up his sleeve. I can see 3 safeties (Hill,Bates,&Bell) 3 DB’s ( Hilton, Awouzie,and Taylor-Britt) Logan Wilson, Sam Hubbard ( QB spy) Hendrickson, Hill, and Carter or Ossai.
Reply/Quote
We already know we have one of the best and balanced offenses in the NFL. Plus, we have “off the charts” playmakers. We addressed the elephant in the room with the OL in FA. Now, we bolstered a good defense, and made it significantly better. I don’t know what there is in this draft that’s not to like? You can make arguments that one player was a little better or worse than where we drafted them. But, there’s not a miss or an egregious reach anywhere in our draft.

We’re a better team today than we were a week ago.

You want to compare us to the rest of the North? How much of a powder keg are the Browns? In a draft of week QBs, the Steelers acted like what they have in the locker room was not good enough. They’re right. Talk about a reach………

Ravens…..I know people are high on them. But, they let a lot of their elite talent walk.

I’m just fine with what the Bengals did. Again, they’re a better team, via the draft and FA.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:24 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Thats all its about is a dialogue of if this team got better over the weekend as opposed to our rivals.
I just happen to think that we fell short of our rivals this weekend. We went to the SB but we want to stay elite and this weekend helped them catch us. All the analytics guys out there can see what I'm saying. Again we went to the SB last year but did we do enough this offseason and draft to make it back.
We made Jessie Bates mad so mission accomplished but we didn't solve our LG problem or depth issue along the offensive line. We needed a TE but all we have is Sample and maybe Moss as a backup. If any of the big three wideouts get hurt knock on wood..Now why would you believe that the linebacker group is so deep and great. We just met Pratt in the playoffs and never really knew ADG

Oh now we're worried about making players mad.  Last I heard employee #30 gets paid top 5 for his position group.  

To be honest, if a player is going to pout about competition and be disruptive they can take their services somewhere else down the road.  But he better not pout long because he'll want solid tape if he truly wants to keep that level of pay.
Reply/Quote
Start digging your tunnels because it's as plain as the nose on your faces that the sky has definitely fallen..
Since I don't make a living by trying to predict the futures and fortunes of young men I'll just wait and see how this draft works out in a year or so. The league is littered with players nobody thought could cut it in the NFL and some have gone on to becoming HOFers.
Once upon a time the Bengals picked a 3rd round QB from a no-name small college, Augustana. If he were picked today some of you would absolutely flip your sh*t over the pick.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 02:25 AM)Whatever Wrote: The Ravens are not a better team on paper this year than they were last year.  The Bengals are a better team on paper than they were last off-season.  The Ravens had injuries, but they also got completely annihilated in both meetings.  Did they improve 28+ ppg more than the Bengals even including injured players returning?  Doubtful.  Can they come back from multiple possessions down to win games as currently constructed?  No.

The Steelers added Pickens and Austin in the draft, but lost JuJu and Washington in FA.  It really seems like you are only paying attention to the players our division rivals are adding and not the ones they're losing.  Not to mention those WR's will have Rudolph, Trubisky, or a rookie QB from an abysmal class throwing to them.

Again, the Browns drafted Wright and Winfrey, but lost Clowney and McKinley in FA.  How are they better than before on DL?

All the teams in the AFC North got better on paper in my opinion. The Ravens on paper knocked they're draft out of the park. They got Hamilton, Linderbaum and Ojabo as they're first 3. We would be having parades in the streets of Cincinnati if we got those 3 to start the draft. The Bengals have gotten better. I just think they could've added more in the draft. I mean we gave up 2 picks to move up 11 spots. If we keep those picks get the same players and draft a LB and another position I'm happy.
Reply/Quote
I agree with Whatever, we got significantly better this year (and big picture the ravens didn’t improve much at all when factoring in their losses). Browns are the only divisional team to get significantly better, and that’s if Watson plays. The chargers and raiders got better for sure, as did the bills and broncos. Chiefs got worse.

Our oline is way better than last year, with more depth and high end starters. This is vital when considering how good our competition is in the afc. Our secondary has a lot more depth, versatility, intelligence, speed, and tackling ability. This was vital with the raiders getting Adams, and the strong rush attacks our division has.

My only complaint would be our pass rush didn’t improve at all. Hopefully Ossai can stay healthy and contribute this year. But we just didn’t have the draft position to draft a good pass rusher—unless you wanted us to use our first round pick on a guy with a torn Achilles.

I think next year will be a more balanced draft with picks along the dline, wideout, secondary, tight end, and so forth. But we needed to go oline heavy in free agency and secondary heavy in this draft. We weren’t in good draft position to draft oline so what we did in FA was vital.
Reply/Quote