Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why Do You Like This Draft!
(05-01-2022, 12:24 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Thats all its about is a dialogue of if this team got better over the weekend as opposed to our rivals.
I just happen to think that we fell short of our rivals this weekend. We went to the SB but we want to stay elite and this weekend helped them catch us. All the analytics guys out there can see what I'm saying. Again we went to the SB last year but did we do enough this offseason and draft to make it back.
We made Jessie Bates mad so mission accomplished but we didn't solve our LG problem or depth issue along the offensive line. We needed a TE but all we have is Sample and maybe Moss as a backup. If any of the big three wideouts get hurt knock on wood..Now why would you believe that the linebacker group is so deep and great. We just met Pratt in the playoffs and never really knew ADG

Do they though?

Because a B+ is pretty good considering where we were picking.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People are killing the Bengals for stockpiling DB’s when it’s literally the one position you can get extra guys on the field all at once, but apparently it’s super smart for the Ravens to have 37 TE’s on their roster…

LOL we have them covered....
Reply/Quote
I like this draft because we didn't need any starters.

We continued to draft players that are of high character
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:21 AM)Whatever Wrote: Basically, A bunch of the guys the Ravens took.

Though I'm confused because he's talking about our WR depth when the Ravens don't have any real starters at WR after trading Brown.  But they improved so much.

Don't forget that the Ravens weren't healthy and to add to the roster what they just did over the weekend make them very formidable. Now you can believe otherwise if you want to but have they really used wideouts in thier offense. They'll have Rashad Bateman coming back from injury as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:36 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I like this draft because we didn't need any starters.

We continued to draft players that are of high character

Tiger

I get it but B we just needed a few more pieces.
I'm not at all saying that the draft is terrible but just not very...... sufficient
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:35 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I don't like this draft and I know I'm not alone. So please tell us how this will win the division when everyone in it got better except the Bengals. This was supposed to be a backfill draft of quality depth players but we got ....Nothing of the sort. Yes, we addressed the safety position but at what cost. No tightend No wideout 1 offensive lineman but who are your backups! The other teams in the division got better but we didn't! Stop talking yourself into it. Quinton Spain will be signed at some point but he costs a SB.

What I like to do after each draft is go in and, with every ounce of hindsight possible, consider who I would have taken at each pick instead.

In my mind, my ideal hindsight draft would have been:
Logan Hall in the first
CTB in the second (still trade up)
Nick Cross in the third
Zach Tom in the fourth
Kingsley Enagbare in the fifth (no trade up)
Bo Melton and...Gunter in the 7th (or maybe a punter, I'm not really fretting over 7th rounders)

Would this have been a better draft? I think so. Would it have been a significantly better draft? I'm not sure...We trade Carter for Hall, which is likely an upgrade, and Hill for Cross which is a definite downgrade. Volson for Tom and Enagbare for Anderson and we get a WR4 by not trading up in the 5th...But in neither of these drafts do I feel any pick was wasted or otherwise terrible. It's just swapping prospects in, relatively, the same positions.

If you did this exercise, what players are you taking at each selection, rather than the players we took?

If you can answer that, I can get a better idea of what you did not like about this draft.
Reply/Quote
When you factor in our O-Line is 100x better by being pro-active in free-agency this draft allowed us to focus on our secondary. We are not only playing 17 games now... but we expect to win a couple in the playoffs and make a deep run. You need depth! This years draft gave us depth and allowed us to plan for the future of Vonn and Bates potentially leaving.

Your draft is never going to be sexy at 31 HOWEVER you can get key pieces... you also will get ring chasers that want to play with Burrow after the draft. Lets see if they make anymore moves Wink
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:38 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Don't forget that the Ravens weren't healthy and to add to the roster what they just did over the weekend make them very formidable. Now you can believe otherwise if you want to but have they really used wideouts in thier offense. They'll have Rashad Bateman coming back from injury as well.

Lamar says "WTF"
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:41 AM)QueenCity Wrote: When you factor in our O-Line is 100x better by being pro-active in free-agency this draft allowed us to focus on our secondary.  We are not only playing 17 games now... but we expect to win a couple in the playoffs and make a deep run.  You need depth!   This years draft gave us depth and allowed us to plan for the future of Vonn and Bates potentially leaving.

Your draft is never going to be sexy at 31 HOWEVER you can get key pieces... you also will get ring chasers that want to play with Burrow after the draft.  Lets see if they make anymore moves Wink
 Yes, the offensive line is much better than what we ran out there SB Sunday. When some suggestions are giving Quinton Spain a call because we failed to answer the competition problem at LG is utterly nonsense! We drafted a guy who I like but he'll be better served on the right side imo. I'm a fanatic and I'm telling you that we may be second or third in this division after this weekend. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:48 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Lamar says "WTF"

They just suck to the formula and drafted two TE that we as Bengals fans would've taken in spades. I hated that they got Isaiah Likely most when we had two shots at him along with Jeremy Rucket. We could've had a great tightend. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:41 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: What I like to do after each draft is go in and, with every ounce of hindsight possible, consider who I would have taken at each pick instead.

In my mind, my ideal hindsight draft would have been:
Logan Hall in the first
CTB in the second (still trade up)
Nick Cross in the third
Zach Tom in the fourth
Kingsley Enagbare in the fifth (no trade up)
Bo Melton and...Gunter in the 7th (or maybe a punter, I'm not really fretting over 7th rounders)

Would this have been a better draft? I think so. Would it have been a significantly better draft? I'm not sure...We trade Carter for Hall, which is likely an upgrade, and Hill for Cross which is a definite downgrade. Volson for Tom and Enagbare for Anderson and we get a WR4 by not trading up in the 5th...But in neither of these drafts do I feel any pick was wasted or otherwise terrible. It's just swapping prospects in, relatively, the same positions.

If you did this exercise, what players are you taking at each selection, rather than the players we took?

If you can answer that, I can get a better idea of what you did not like about this draft.

Tiger

Daxton Hill will be a difference maker immediately and Carter could get 10 snaps a game but thats it barring injury. As much as we want CTB to start its the Apple that falls on the field.
Reply/Quote

Thats all its about is a dialogue of if this team got better over the weekend as opposed to our rivals.
I just happen to think that we fell short of our rivals this weekend. We went to the SB but we want to stay elite and this weekend helped them catch us. All the analytics guys out there can see what I'm saying. Again we went to the SB last year but did we do enough this offseason and draft to make it back.
We made Jessie Bates mad so mission accomplished but we didn't solve our LG problem or depth issue along the offensive line. We needed a TE but all we have is Sample and maybe Moss as a backup. If any of the big three wideouts get hurt knock on wood..Now why would you believe that the linebacker group is so deep and great. We just met Pratt in the playoffs and never really knew ADG

Well we can’t really control what our rivals do. They had to out do us to catch up to us. After the super bowl, and prior to that actually, our biggest weakness was clearly ol. Safe to say that wax massively overhauled.

In case you missed the other parts of free agency around the nfl there was a pretty big shift of qbs, wrs etc moving from the nfc to the afc.

This draft was about gearing up for the arms race that became the afc. The first 2 picks bring speed and versatility to the def backfield. The 3rd pick should help the pass rush.

The 4th pick should help finish the ol overhaul when he’s ready or start least provide capable depth.

Do I wish we’d have grabbed a te and a wr? Surely I do. But few, if any teams in the nfl love every position group they have and to think Ed didn’t get better at all is laughable to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:57 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Daxton Hill will be a difference maker immediately and Carter could get 10 snaps a game but thats it barring injury. As much as we want CTB to start its the Apple that falls on the field.

So which players would you have picked instead?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Do they though?

Because a B+ is pretty good considering where we were picking.

Tiger
If we were going defense then we could've obliterated this draft if you think about who we drafted and what was left on the board!
Reply/Quote

1.We made Bates mad? Seriously?
2. We fell short of our Rivals? The Ravens? They had 2 first rounders before us. They had 5 in the 4th. They drafted well but they are weak at receiver and talk about depth there. Wow!
3.The Steelers? Not a chance. The Browns? They didn’t have any picks.
4. The Chiefs? Tyreek Hill 2.0 did not walk through their door. They will be talented but woefully inexperienced in the secondary. That’s an issue in their division.
5.The Bills? They’ve got no running back.
6. Didn’t do enough in the off season? I’m speechless

I asked you in another post who would have you drafted instead?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:50 AM)Emeritus Wrote:  Yes, the offensive line is much better than what we ran out there SB Sunday. When some suggestions are giving Quinton Spain a call because we failed to answer the competition problem at LG is utterly nonsense! We drafted a guy who I like but he'll be better served on the right side imo. I'm a fanatic and I'm telling you that we may be second or third in this division after this weekend. 

I understand the rest of the division got better, but I suggest taking a step back, take a breath, and remind yourself that this team was 90 seconds away from winning the Super Bowl with a much worse roster last year than we currently have now. Our biggest losses were Uzomah (and Ogunjobi who didn’t even play in the playoffs). Our additions on the OL in FA alone make this roster much better than that team was. And now they have guys they used premium picks on ready to help out in the secondary. Whether that’s filling in because of injuries, or just getting them on the field in certain packages. Guys like Dax and CTB are going to help right away. Maybe not as full on starters, but for one thing - Apple better show up to camp playing the best football of his career, because CTB could end up stealing that CB2 job. Some real competition behind him can only be a good thing.

I also understand being worried about LG, but they seem determined to give Carman every opportunity to take that spot. And I also don’t see bringing Spain back as a bad thing if they do decide to go that route. Again - healthy competition. Killing him over one play against Aaron Donald is pretty unfair. It’s Aaron Donald.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:54 AM)Emeritus Wrote: They just suck to the formula and drafted two TE that we as Bengals fans would've taken in spades. I hated that they got Isaiah Likely most when we had two shots at him along with Jeremy Rucket. We could've had a great tightend. 

TE would have been nice, but not enough picks to cover everything.

Like it or not, Sample will be kept as he's decent at his job, and not gonna break the bank. 
TE1 will be address next year, by either keeping Hurst or finding a new one. Our Offense doesn't rely on having a top tier TE yet. We have 3 top WR's and RB that can catch out of the backfield.

Now, back to the Ravens. So what, they got a FEW TE's in the draft, unless their plan is to convert them to WR's, then it's kinda pointless. Bateman will be good, but we got him covered, same with Andrews, we got them covered. So who's Lamar gonna toss it to? No one, he's gonna run, guess what? we got a very good run defense.... so we go that covered.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:38 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Don't forget that the Ravens weren't healthy and to add to the roster what they just did over the weekend make them very formidable. Now you can believe otherwise if you want to but have they really used wideouts in thier offense. They'll have Rashad Bateman coming back from injury as well.

Bateman had 515 yards and 1 TD in 12 games last year.  He will have to make a massive leap to replace Brown's 1008 yards and 6 TD's.  

They gained Marcus Williams and Morgan Moses in FA, but lost Averett, Bozeman, Watkins, Young, Williams, Smith, Houston, McPhee, etc., etc.  

They got Hamilton in the draft, which gives them a good S duo.  They traded Brown and wound up getting Linderbaum, who is basically just a replacement for Bozeman. If you're into analytics, a starting C for a #1 WR is a very poor trade off when it comes to wins above replacement. They got Ojabo, who will be lucky to play at all this year after tearing his Achilles at his Pro Day, and he's apparently he's Houston's replacement.  They got Jones, but he's just a replacement for Brandon Williams.  Day 3, they get a couple of CB's who are apparently supposed to replace two starters in Averrett and Smith, a backup T, and a couple of TE's.  However, they lost their WR1 and WR3 and did nothing to replace them.  

How are they realistically better this off-season needing that many rookies to come in and replace proven veterans?  
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 01:13 AM)Whatever Wrote: Bateman had 515 yards and 1 TD in 12 games last year.  He will have to make a massive leap to replace Brown's 1008 yards and 6 TD's.  

They gained Marcus Williams and Morgan Moses in FA, but lost Averett, Bozeman, Watkins, Young, Williams, Smith, Houston, McPhee, etc., etc.  

They got Hamilton in the draft, which gives them a good S duo.  They traded Brown and wound up getting Linderbaum, who is basically just a replacement for Bozeman. If you're into analytics, a starting C for a #1 WR is a very poor trade off when it comes to wins above replacement. They got Ojabo, who will be lucky to play at all this year after tearing his Achilles at his Pro Day, and he's apparently he's Houston's replacement.  They got Jones, but he's just a replacement for Brandon Williams.  Day 3, they get a couple of CB's who are apparently supposed to replace two starters in Averrett and Smith, a backup T, and a couple of TE's.  However, they lost their WR1 and WR3 and did nothing to replace them.  

How are they realistically better this off-season needing that many rookies to come in and replace proven veterans?  

Tiger
Most of thier starters were hurt down the stretch. I don't know the exact number of players that were out but I do know that it was double digits. If you add the additions this weekend then they are a threat to win the division. As I said earlier the receiving core that the Steelers have now is very formidable wth Pickens and Austin added to what they already had. I didn't see all of the Browns draft but I did see that they got even better on the defensive line. 
Reply/Quote
I have to agree with your analysis for the most part.Although I think we did get a few quality potential starters for this team in the future.This team needs to be in WIN NOW mode.I’m not seeing it.They should have brought in JC Tretter while they had the chance,to put the finishing touches on the OL instead of drafting a fourth rounder.Bringing Tretter in would have changed everything,and made it a complete line with no uncertainty.
Reply/Quote