Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Hobson Says We Need Another 1st Round CB
Hobson on CBs

"Same with Ohio State cornerback Marshon Lattimore. Adam Jones is 33, Darqueze Dennard has been hampered by injury, and William Jackson has yet to take a snap. In a league where nickel defenses are on the field almost 70 percent of the time, it’s true. You can never have enough corners."

Reasons why Hobson says we need a CB.

A. Football players get injured.

B. Like a fat kid and cake. You just can't have enough! Imagine if we had 3 first round CBs riding the pine!

C. Dennard has been injured. (Totally different from Kirk. Somehow?)

D. WJ3 doesn't take snaps. Wasn't injured or anything he just doesn't.

E. Shaw isn't a 1st round CB

I get it's draft time and this could all be B.S. but that was some seriously weak coffee. LOL

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-when-and-where/78f733f9-8732-41a9-a791-fc1a9abd73da
Reply/Quote
He laid out a bunch of options this was just one. I think there really are questions where we go because we have needs but nowhere does it seem like they will start immediately so everything is kind of on the table.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:44 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Hobson on CBs

"Same with Ohio State cornerback Marshon Lattimore. Adam Jones is 33, Darqueze Dennard has been hampered by injury, and William Jackson has yet to take a snap. In a league where nickel defenses are on the field almost 70 percent of the time, it’s true. You can never have enough corners."

Reasons why Hobson says we need a CB.

A. Football players get injured.

B. Like a fat kid and cake. You just can't have enough! Imagine if we had 3 first round CBs riding the pine!

C. Dennard has been injured. (Totally different from Kirk. Somehow?)

D. WJ3 doesn't take snaps. Wasn't injured or anything he just doesn't.

E. Shaw isn't a 1st round CB

I get it's draft time and this could all be B.S. but that was some seriously weak coffee. LOL

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-when-and-where/78f733f9-8732-41a9-a791-fc1a9abd73da

I can see that happening. They may not be sold on Barnett or the other pass rushers left being worth the #9 pick.  If a guy like Marshon Lattimore or even Mayocks #2 CB, Gareon Conley, are there they may be the pick.  Hopefully they could then look at getting a guy like Zach Cunningham in the 2nd.  Those 2 moves would really solidify the pass coverage. Cunningham could bring a pass coverage LB like we have never had here. If they aren't confident in the ability of drafting a guy who can get to the QB on his own then bolstering the pass D to such an extent you can force coverage sacks becomes just as valuable.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I would be Ok with it if we Traded Down to say pick #13 with Arizona and got their 3rd round pick.
Then take Gareon Conley or whoever they consider to be the best Corner available.

Getting rid of Pac Man after this 2017 season would also have to be part of the reason to do it for me to buy in.
Reply/Quote
I just don't really see us going 1st round CB. We have a stack of players waiting in the wings there.

But it's just impossible to say how the first 8 picks will shake out ? I'd bet a QB will come off the board before 9, possibly 2 of em, which will change everything.

I wouldn't totally rule it out just would say it's unlikely.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't rule it out but it would be a really stupid move.
Reply/Quote
In all fairness, the Bengals generally like to have plenty of young corners.

That being said, I really doubt that we go CB at #9 or even at #41. After that, all bets are off.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are just trying to prop up Dalton. Think about it: you draft all the good CBs, bury them on a depth chart and after a few years, other teams are all "Hey, why don't we have any corners? Oh, because the Bengals drafted them all. Dang you, Mike!"

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just don't really see us going 1st round CB. We have a stack of players waiting in the wings there.

But it's just impossible to say how the first 8 picks will shake out ? I'd bet a QB will come off the board before 9, possibly 2 of em, which will change everything.

I wouldn't totally rule it out just would say it's unlikely.

Think it is possible that Trubiky and Watson are drafted before #9 plus a surprise pick letting somebody good slide to #9. 

CB would not hurt if we did not have so many holes to fill. Have wanted Pacman gone for a while now anyway. 

Have 3 first round players already there. Plus we rarely play rookie CB's much. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Im fine as long as its lattimore.
Reply/Quote
Hobson always hypes a 1st round CB every offseason. If we do it this year, then we're freaking idiots.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
We had 3 first round corners. Twice in recent past. In 2013 and 2014. Same ol story.

If we draft another cb in the 1st round im going to lose my sh*t.

Waaaaay too many ACTUAL needs.
Reply/Quote
Enough about what Hobson said. Who's Lapham big on?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dude... I swear to God!!! If they draft a damn corner in the first....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 08:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Enough about what Hobson said.  Who's Lapham big on?

Mrs. Lapham?   Wink
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 09:06 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Mrs. Lapham?   Wink

Cute, but I think you know what I really mean.  Every year it seems that whomever Lapham is talking about, as draft time approaches, seems to be either the player we pick, or was going to be.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 09:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Cute, but I think you know what I really mean.  Every year it seems that whomever Lapham is talking about, as draft time approaches, seems to be either the player we pick, or was going to be.

I knew what you meant my friend. That was too good to pass up. I'll be keeping my ears open for laps appearances on the sport talk shows and I'll post what I hear unless someone beats me to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 09:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Cute, but I think you know what I really mean.  Every year it seems that whomever Lapham is talking about, as draft time approaches, seems to be either the player we pick, or was going to be.

Lapham says pass rusher IF the player's rating is consistent with the #9 pick. If not, maybe WR using the same criteria.
http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Lapham-on-NFL-Network/14f2dbc0-3dc7-41a8-a958-100360322fd2
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Not that I want it to happen, but it's not a dumb move by any means. I think Jackson will impress. If Russell shows out and the other's come to play, we should be good at CB. That said, I would rather they do that than reach for 6'3" 250 pound DE that hasn't played against an NFL caliber OT in his entire college career.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 09:29 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Not that I want it to happen, but it's not a dumb move by any means. I think Jackson will impress. If Russell shows out and the other's come to play, we should be good at CB. That said, I would rather they do that than reach for  6'3" 250 pound DE that hasn't played against an NFL caliber OT in his entire college career.

^^This^^

I would rather them pick a better player in a position that has depth, than reach for a position of need that questionably lacks the abilities.

I'd rather draft Hooker at safety if he's there though.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote