Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why Not?
Trade Boyd? Don't get me wrong I like him(and would only trade them for good value) as a player but at the same he seems very replaceable. If we trade Boyd we would save nearly 8 Million in cap space.

Case for trading Boyd

1.) Since the 2018 season this was his first season without 100 targets and his least amount of yards in a season.

2.) He had a poor post season for us averaging only 28 yards per a game, only 7 first downs, and 1 TD. Per a 17 game season 476 yards, 30 first downs, and 4 TDs. Is that 10 million dollars worth production?

3.) We have two elite Wrs on the roster in Chase and Higgins. Also neither have hit their prime so their stock is only going to go up. Its going to be tough for Boyd to get his normal production.

3b.) We have 3 seasons left of Higgins 2 under his rookie contract + a franchise tag. If he is to expensive to re-sign in 4 years Boyd still wouldn't be a great option to replace him . He would be in his thirties + Tee is an outside WR vs Tyler who is a slot.

4.) I think Stanley Morgan can replace him and I think the Bengals think that as well. 1.) He was a good College player; in his final two seasons he had over 1, 900 yards and 17 Tds, 2.) He had a similar RAS to Boyd as a prospect, well respected in the Lockerroom, tough as nails, and he was playing meaningful Wr snaps later in the season. Him + Taylor+ a top 100 draft pick should fill the role.

5) He would have a lot of interest on the trade Market. I could see at the very least getting back a 3rd rd pick for him. I could see the Raiders, Packers, Cowboys, Patriots, Colts, and Bucs(if they trade Goodwin) as potential suitors.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 08:14 PM)J24 Wrote: Trade Boyd? Don't get me wrong I like him(and would only trade them for good value) as a player but at the same he seems very replaceable. If we trade Boyd we would save nearly 8 Million in cap space.

Case for trading Boyd

1.) Since the 2018 season  this was his first season without 100 targets and his least amount of yards in a season.

2.) He had a poor post season for us  averaging only 28 yards per a game,  only 7 first downs, and 1 TD. Per a 17 game season 476 yards, 30 first downs,  and 4 TDs. Is that 10 million dollars worth production?

3.) We have two elite  Wrs on the roster in Chase and Higgins. Also neither  have hit their prime so their stock is only going to go up. Its going to be tough for Boyd to get his normal production.

3b.) We have 3 seasons left of Higgins 2 under his rookie contract + a franchise tag. If he is to expensive to re-sign in 4 years Boyd still wouldn't be a great option to replace  him . He would be in his thirties + Tee is an outside WR vs Tyler who is a slot.

4.) I think Stanley  Morgan can replace him and I think the Bengals think that as well.  1.) He was a good College player; in his final two seasons he had over 1, 900 yards and 17 Tds, 2.) He had a similar RAS to Boyd as a prospect,  well respected  in the Lockerroom, tough as nails, and he was playing meaningful  Wr snaps later in the season.   Him + Taylor+ a top 100 draft pick should fill the role.

5) He would have a lot of interest on the trade Market. I could see at the very least getting back a 3rd rd pick for him. I could see the Raiders, Packers, Cowboys,  Patriots, Colts, and Bucs(if they trade Goodwin) as potential suitors.

I want some of what you're smoking.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
When Higgins is a free agent in 2 years...I don't see the Bengals paying him the $20 mill a year #1s get. We need Boyd.
Reply/Quote
As has been stated before. When/if we get the oline protecting better and giving Burrow more time I think Boyd's production will go up. He has also been forced to be our #1 in the past and gives us security as he could do it again if forced.
Reply/Quote
Several reasons:
-Boyd is a great player and on a very reasonable contract. We are not in cap trouble so why weaken a strength? We can improve our weaknesses without hurting our team in other areas this offseason which is a rare opportunity for playoff teams. If we need to make tough decisions like that do it next year. We can take another swing at it this year with virtually the same team that made the SB last year PLUS a much better o line. Why not do that? No need to let Boyd (or Bates for that matter) go this offseason.

-We run lots of 3 WR sets and need the guys to be able to produce when called upon.

-We were lucky with injuries last year, we will likely lose one of our top 3 WR’s to injury at some point and we can’t afford to have just Tee or just Chase and then all of the scrubs we have on the roster as the remaining starters. We have 3 good WR’s and then NOTHING afterwards. Go watch the 2nd browns game and you’ll see just how pathetic our backup WR’s are. Believe we had 3 consecutive drops at one point in that game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 08:50 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Several reasons:
-Boyd is a great player and on a very reasonable contract. We are not in cap trouble so why weaken a strength? We can improve our weaknesses without hurting our team in other areas this offseason which is a rare opportunity for playoff teams. If we need to make tough decisions like that do it next year. We can take another swing at it this year with virtually the same team that made the SB last year PLUS a much better o line. Why not do that? No need to let Boyd (or Bates for that matter) go this offseason.

-We run lots of 3 WR sets and need the guys to be able to produce when called upon.

-We were lucky with injuries last year, we will likely lose one of our top 3 WR’s to injury at some point and we can’t afford to have just Tee or just Chase and then all of the scrubs we have on the roster as the remaining starters. We have 3 good WR’s and then NOTHING afterwards. Go watch the 2nd browns game and you’ll see just how pathetic our backup WR’s are. Believe we had 3 consecutive drops at one point in that game.

Yep. I like Boyd, he's pretty dependable, tough and he has speed. He appears very disciplined. He may be our Gio at WR. Do what you ask him to do and be confident in what he will bring when asked.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 08:14 PM)J24 Wrote: Trade Boyd? Don't get me wrong I like him(and would only trade them for good value) as a player but at the same he seems very replaceable. If we trade Boyd we would save nearly 8 Million in cap space.

Case for trading Boyd

1.) Since the 2018 season  this was his first season without 100 targets and his least amount of yards in a season.

2.) He had a poor post season for us  averaging only 28 yards per a game,  only 7 first downs, and 1 TD. Per a 17 game season 476 yards, 30 first downs,  and 4 TDs. Is that 10 million dollars worth production?

3.) We have two elite  Wrs on the roster in Chase and Higgins. Also neither  have hit their prime so their stock is only going to go up. Its going to be tough for Boyd to get his normal production.

3b.) We have 3 seasons left of Higgins 2 under his rookie contract + a franchise tag. If he is to expensive to re-sign in 4 years Boyd still wouldn't be a great option to replace  him . He would be in his thirties + Tee is an outside WR vs Tyler who is a slot.

4.) I think Stanley  Morgan can replace him and I think the Bengals think that as well.  1.) He was a good College player; in his final two seasons he had over 1, 900 yards and 17 Tds, 2.) He had a similar RAS to Boyd as a prospect,  well respected  in the Lockerroom, tough as nails, and he was playing meaningful  Wr snaps later in the season.   Him + Taylor+ a top 100 draft pick should fill the role.

5) He would have a lot of interest on the trade Market. I could see at the very least getting back a 3rd rd pick for him. I could see the Raiders, Packers, Cowboys,  Patriots, Colts, and Bucs(if they trade Goodwin) as potential suitors.
What Morgan did in college has nothing to do with any of this. If he was as good or even close to Boyd he would have been playing LONG AGO. I have no problem trading Boyd and even mentioned a few times to trade him to NE for Shaq Mason. With that being said if we got a 3rd for him I would take it and draft his replacement this year if we could not trade him for OL. But to think Morgan is even close to Boyd or a capable starter you're def smoking something.
Reply/Quote
Every time I see a trade Boyd thread I just roll. IF the coaches thought that Morgan could replace him, they would be giving him reps.

Morgan is not even in the same universe as Boyd. Boyd is a big reason why this offense works so well. You don't trade a guy like that when your Super Bowl window is open.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals play 3 WR sets something like 77% of the time. If Boyd plays 74% of offensive snaps is he “just” a third WR? For comparison, Reader played 53% of defensive snaps and Hendrickson play 64%.

Tag and trade Bates and the Bengals save $12M.

In 2021, a top 5 S started at $14M average per year. Top 5 C $10.5M. Top 5 LG $10.8M. Top 5 RG $9M. Top 5 RT $17M.

If it is me and I can get an equivalent quality player at a position of need for less that allows me to apply the savings elsewhere.

In other words, sign a Top 5 RG for less than a Top 5 S and draft a new S for less. Use the savings elsewhere or at least roll it over.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals aren't in a position to need to create cap space and his contract isn't beyond his production capabilities. No need to trade him at this point. I'd rather have him in place if Chase or Tee were to miss time.

Plus he's durable and reliable. They can just let him hit free agency when his contract expires.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Case for trading Boyd

Good luck brother, they all shot me down a month ago with this.  

I cant get the same ones to answer this - Do we win that SB with a $10M RG and Trent Taylor in the slot instead of Boyd and his wrong freaking route causing a sack after the INT and late 4th QTR dropped pass on 3rd down?

We have the only fans who are ok with a WR3 making $10M per while 4 starters on an awful oline in the Super Bowl barely made $9M combined.

These guys would lose their shit if they were Patriots fans as Belichick cut and traded fan favorites in order to pay PRIORITY positions.

We may have the only fan base in the NFL that believes a championship formula is for the Free Safety to be the highest paid guy on Defense and the WR3 and RB to be highest paid on offense... 

To be fair the majority of those that drive me nuts are on twitter, I just followed you btw (bpoe).

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 08:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When Higgins is a free agent in 2 years...I don't see the Bengals paying him the $20 mill a year #1s get. We need Boyd.

I disagree, a franchise QB needs 2 quality receivers to win the SB, see the Rams and the Chiefs - no one pays RBs anymore they pay the QB, 2 receivers and the Oline.

We dont need a 30 yr old Boyd, who hurt more than he helped this SB, taking Higgins role in the future. 

We could draft a slot that runs 4.3 like Robinson 5 years younger and $9M cheaper in a couple of months.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 08:31 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: As has been stated before. When/if we get the oline protecting better and giving Burrow more time I think Boyd's production will go up. He has also been forced to be our #1 in the past and gives us security as he could do it again if forced.

Any slot could do well with a great oline and Chase & Higgins spreading the defense and Mixon at RB, the way you guys value Boyd is kinda crazy, there are so many quick slots available.  $10M buys a hell of a Guard.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 08:50 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Several reasons:

In the Super Bowl, Boyd ran the wrong route and cost us a sack in the redzone when we could have wrapped up the game after the INT. He also dropped a crucial 3rd pass late in the 4th. That is NOT producing when called upon in the most crucial situation.

WR3 is NOT a priority position especially when that spot makes more than 4 starters on the oline combined.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 09:08 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Every time I see a trade Boyd thread I just roll.  IF the coaches thought that Morgan could replace him, they would be giving him reps.  

Morgan is not even in the same universe as Boyd.  Boyd is a big reason why this offense works so well.  You don't trade a guy like that when your Super Bowl window is open.

Keep rolling, but dont say a word when we dont knock it out of the park with oline signings this off season or when Boyd walks and we get zero value.

There. I think I have pissed off everyone in the thread that disagreed, LOL

Nothing personal.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 10:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Keep rolling, but dont say a word when we dont knock it out of the park with oline signings this off season or when Boyd walks and we get zero value.

There. I think I have pissed off everyone in the thread that disagreed, LOL

Nothing personal.

Cap is not cash, the Bengals underwhelming OL FA haul will have nothing to do with cap and everything to do with cash. I am not sure why people don’t get that cap is not and hasn’t been the problem. Cap wasn’t the problem with Lawson last year, it frankly hasn’t been the issue with most people we don’t get it’s the guaranteed cash.

Tyler Boyd will have absolutely zero impact on what the Bengals can or will potentially do in FA as the inhibitor for the 100th time will be the signing bonuses and guaranteed required to get the players they want.
Reply/Quote
I don't want to trade TB just to clear cap this year, but I would entertain trading him to a WR needy team for a quality player of need.

For instance if ATL wants to part ways with Chris Lindstrom (they have Drew Dalman ready to take over); I'd jump. Hell, I might even agree to take on a little of Boyd's contract
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 10:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Good luck brother, they all shot me down a month ago with this.  

I cant get the same ones to answer this - Do we win that SB with a $10M RG and Trent Taylor in the slot instead of Boyd and his wrong freaking route causing a sack after the INT and late 4th QTR dropped pass on 3rd down?

We have the only fans who are ok with a WR3 making $10M per while 4 starters on an awful oline in the Super Bowl barely made $9M combined.

These guys would lose their shit if they were Patriots fans as Belichick cut and traded fan favorites in order to pay PRIORITY positions.

We may have the only fan base in the NFL that believes a championship formula is for the Free Safety to be the highest paid guy on Defense and the WR3 and RB to be highest paid on offense... 

To be fair the majority of those that drive me nuts are on twitter, I just followed you btw (bpoe).

Or you could release Waynes who has done virtually nothing for the Bengals, save $10M, and retain a starting WR who only dropped one pass last season.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 10:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The Bengals aren't in a position to need to create cap space and his contract isn't beyond his production capabilities. No need to trade him at this point. I'd rather have him in place if Chase or Tee were to miss time.

Plus he's durable and reliable. They can just let him hit free agency when his contract expires.

Damn, missed your post, sorry. Reliable is running the right route as the most veteran receiver on the team making $10M in the redzone to seal the victory, not hte opposite causing a sack.  Reliable is not dropping a crucial 3rd down pass late in the 4th of the Super Bowl (I dont care if he hadnt dropped a pass in the last 5 years, this is the game it counted - how many drops did Kupp have late in the 4th?)

I hope this gets everyone now... again, just my humble opinion.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 08:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When Higgins is a free agent in 2 years...I don't see the Bengals paying him the $20 mill a year #1s get. We need Boyd.

Boyd is also a FA in 2 years and will be 29 years old at that point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote