Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are the riots different this time?
(09-01-2020, 04:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I don't think this incident would usually deserve a protest.  

But one of the reasons there are protests is because too many people still claim everything the police say is true even after incidents like the  Laquan McDonald murder.  I am sure it did not help that that also happened in Chicago. 

A reasonable post.  I would respond that the vast majority of what the police say is true.  I would also add, that they usually interact with people who lie for a living (no, I don't mean lawyers  Ninja ).  I've flat out told some of the people I've interacted with, they're so used to lying they still lie when the truth would actually help them.

That being said, a shooting in Chicago though means it's a day ending in Y.  I suppose it's only upsetting when the police are the ones doing the shooting.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The media divide and social networking was the same in 2014 when Michael Brown was shot.  But those protests did not go on all across the nation every night for months.
I don't know if I agree that the divide was the same in 2014 but certainly the media was not even close to defending the riots the way they do now. Were they calling the protests in 2014 "largely peaceful"? I don't remember that they were.

(09-01-2020, 04:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There has been a lot of fresh fuel poured on the fire the last few years.  

Yes there has. BY THE MEDIA.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes there has. BY THE MEDIA.

Can't blame the media for what comes out of Trumps mouth.

(08-31-2020, 02:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: -He welcomes the Confederate Battle Flag at his rallies.

-He originally lied about his relationship with KKK Grand Wizard David Duke.  Duke is a huge Trump supporter.

-When talking about Mexican immigrants Trump claimed that they were all the bad people that Mexico wanted to get rid of. “When Mexico sends its people, They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

-He said that U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel would not rule fairly because his parents were from Mexico.

-He called Colin Kaepernick a "son of a *****" and said he should lose his job for exercising his Constitutional rights to protest against racial injustice.

-He claimed there were "good people" in the Unite the Right crowd that marched through Charlottesville chanting "Blood and soil"

-White nationalists went wild when he told 3 women of color who were born and raised in the United States to go back to "the countries they came from".  I am not aware of any sitting President who ever so clearly supported the main tenet of white nationalism. Their entire belief system is based on the belief that even people of color who are born and raised in the United States don't belong in "White America".

-He retweeted a video of a Trump supporter yelling "White power".

-He is doubling down on defending the legacy of the Confederate States who fought a war to defend the institution of slavery.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes there has. BY THE MEDIA.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just adding that social media has a lot to do with this, especially the flat out misinformation. Both sides use it to turn people into martyrs, or to misrepresent things.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 02:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For many years we have had racially charged incidents that have led to rioting. 1980 in Miami, 1992 in Los Angeles (Rodney King), 2001 in Cincinnati, 2014 in Ferguson (nationwide) after the Michal Brown killing. But they have all died down after a while and things went back to "normal". So why have the current riots been going non-stop for months?

Lots of people want to blame the media, but the media has always been infatuated with rioting and gave them heavy coverage.

In my opinion the biggest difference is that we currently have a President who is the darling of white nationalist and white supremacists. His supporters will argue that he is not racists, but unfortunately minorities have seen a lot of evidence to the contrary. I don't know if Trump personally dislikes minorities, but he is clearly courting the racist vote.

-He welcomes the Confederate Battle Flag at his rallies.

-He originally lied about his relationship with KKK Grand Wizard David Duke. Duke is a huge Trump supporter.

-When talking about Mexican immigrants Trump claimed that they were all the bad people that Mexico wanted to get rid of. “When Mexico sends its people, They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

-He said that U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel would not rule fairly because his parents were from Mexico.

-He called Colin Kaepernick a "son of a *****" and said he should lose his job for exercising his Constitutional rights to protest against racial injustice.

-He claimed there were "good people" in the Unite the Right crowd that marched through Charlottesville chanting "Blood and soil"

-White nationalists went wild when he told 3 women of color who were born and raised in the United States to go back to "the countries they came from". I am not aware of any sitting President who ever so clearly supported the main tenet of white nationalism. Their entire belief system is based on the belief that even people of color who are born and raised in the United States don't belong in "White America".

-He retweeted a video of a Trump supporter yelling "White power".

-He is doubling down on defending the legacy of the Confederate States who fought a war to defend the institution of slavery.

So i don't see any way these riots slack off any until Biden has been elected. Minorities are just too terrified of the prospect of having a President who is so beloved by white supremacists and white nationalist. And they have seen that he will use his power against peaceful protestors for even the smallest whim like a publicity photo in front of a church. Not to protect the country or carry on official business of the Presidency, but simply to do do something 100% self-serving to help him get re-elected.

These are all absolutely ridiculous...most of them are actions of groups Trump has repeatedly publicly condemned.

The rest are all huge leaps that you really have to read into. Had Trump of said the things that Biden has, none of the above things would have made your list.

But on the other hand...it’s amazing how you conveniently leave out all the truly racist things Biden has himself said and done as a legislator. Things that speak for themselves and need not explanation.

The riots are different this time as they are being illegally funded and supported.

It’s funny to me that the Trump only became racist when he ran for President as a Republican. I don’t remember him being labeled so when he was hanging around Al Sharpton. But, I guess the people of this board know more than Herschel Walker. A guy who has known Donald Trump over 37 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 02:38 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: It’s funny to me that the Trump only became racist when he ran for President as a Republican. I don’t remember him being labeled so when he was hanging around Al Sharpton. But, I guess the people of this board know more than Herschel Walker. A guy who has known Donald Trump over 37 years.

This is just false. He was found guilty of racial discrimination by the DoJ during the Nixon administration, I believe it was. His whole birther thing was racist and he was called out for that the whole time. It didn't just happen when he ran for office.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 08:30 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is just false. He was found guilty of racial discrimination by the DoJ during the Nixon administration, I believe it was. His whole birther thing was racist and he was called out for that the whole time. It didn't just happen when he ran for office.

And his defenders will say "well he doesn't like anyone" as an excuse.

He went after Native Americans, blacks, Mexicans, etc.

He is who he always was.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Riot related.

Quote:A Kenosha business owner is accusing President Donald Trump of using his destroyed store for political gain.

Tom Gram’s century-old camera shop burned to the ground a week ago during the unrest in Uptown Kenosha. Gram said he declined President Trump’s request to be a part of his tour of damage Tuesday in Kenosha.
Instead, a former owner of the shop was invited and he praised the president’s efforts.

Gram has owned Rode’s Camera Shop since he bought the business from the Rode family eight years ago. He worked at the store for more than four decades, but that all came to an end last Monday when the building went up in flames.

Gram said he got a call Monday from the White House asking if he’d join the president on a tour that would showcase his leveled business, but Gram immediately refused.

“I think everything he does turns into a circus and I just didn’t want to be involved in it,” Gram said.
To Gram’s surprise, he watched on TV as the president showed up with the store’s former owner and President Trump made it seem like the store was still his.

“John Rode III, owner of Rode’s Camera Shop,” President Trump said as he introduced Rode during a round table conversation on Tuesday.

Rode does not own Rode’s Camera Shop. However, he does own the property, located at 2204 Roosevelt Road in Kenosha, the site of Rode's Camera Shop.
[Image: ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fewscripps-brightspot.s...587626.jpg]Evan Vucci/AP
President Donald Trump talks with John Rode of Rode's Camera Shop as he speaks with business owners Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020, during a tour of an area damaged during demonstrations after a police officer shot Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wis. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Rode was in front of TV cameras during the tour and he commended President Trump’s response to the Kenosha unrest.

“I just appreciate President Trump coming today, everybody here does,” Rode said. “We’re so thankful we got the federal troops here. Once they got here things did calm down quite a bit.”

“A day earlier would have saved his store,” President Trump responded.

Gram said President Trump’s references to John Rode III as the owner of Rode’s Camera Shop and it being “his store” were deceptive. Gram says he is disappointed Rode III’s comments Tuesday were construed to reflect the views of current ownership.

“I think he needs to bring this country together rather than divide it,” Gram said.

“I think there’s a lot of good people in this community and to say that only law enforcement is correct is not the message we need to hear right now,” Gram said.

TMJ4 News reached out to the White House to ask why President Trump claimed the business still belonged to the former owner, but we haven’t heard back yet. TMJ4 was unable to reach Rode for comment.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 02:38 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: These are all absolutely ridiculous...most of them are actions of groups Trump has repeatedly publicly condemned.  

The rest are all huge leaps that you really have to read into. 

This just is not true.  

You have to be wearing some serious blinders to not see racism when he welcomes Confederat flags to his rallies and lies about his connection to David Duke.  Or tweets a video of his supporter yelling "White Power".

What if a black person claimed that a white judge could not be fair because of his racial heritage?  Would you call that a "racists statement"?

You can go through all the mental gymnastics you want, but the facts it that White Nationalists and the KKK LOVE Trump.  When Trump told a black woman who was born and raised in the Untied States to "go back to the country she came from" White Nationalists pretty much declared a national holiday.  They get it.  And so minorities.
Reply/Quote
I did not know that soup was a bigger problems than guns.

Also I did not know that Trump thinks a brick is too heavy to throw.

Listen for the off camera schlub that has to say "yes sir".  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 02:38 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: But on the other hand...it’s amazing how you conveniently leave out all the truly racist things Biden has himself said and done as a legislator.  Things that speak for themselves and need not explanation.  

If they speak for thenselves then why aren't the KKK and White nationalist supporting him instead of Trump?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 09:17 AM)GMDino Wrote: I did not know that soup was a bigger problems than guns.

Also I did not know that Trump thinks a brick is too heavy to throw.

Listen for the off camera schlub that has to say "yes sir".  Smirk

When I want reasonable level headed commentary on firearms I go to Shannon Watts.  And when I want information on how to end antisemitism I go to Louis Farrakhan. Hilarious

Let's run a little experiment, shall we?  First I'll stand in front of with a slung AR over my shoulder.  Did you get hurt?

Next I'm going to throw a full can of soup at your face as hard as I can.  Did you get hurt?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 10:43 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: When I want reasonable level headed commentary on firearms I go to Shannon Watts.  And when I want information on how to end antisemitism I go to Louis Farrakhan. Hilarious

Let's run a little experiment, shall we?  First I'll stand in front of with a slung AR over my shoulder.  Did you get hurt?

Next I'm going to throw a full can of soup at your face as hard as I can.  Did you get hurt?

Yeah see they are not just "standing in front of you with a slung AR" they are shooting people. 

Also is there is any kind of proof they are throwing cans of soup or is the POTUS just talking out of his ass?

You can try and spin away from his statements but that won't make it any less bizarre.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 11:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah see they are not just "standing in front of you with a slung AR" they are shooting people. 

Also is there is any kind of proof they are throwing cans of soup or is the POTUS just talking out of his ass?

You can try and spin away from his statements but that won't make it any less bizarre.

Who is they?  While there may be more, I can recall five people being shot at these protests, and of those five, three strongly appear to have been shot in self defense.  That's out of what, thousands of hours of protests?  More people are shot on any given day in Chicago than have been shot at all of these protests combined.

As for the cans of soup, this is the first I'm hearing about it, but more people, largely LEO's, are injured by thrown projectiles in one or two nights of Portland protests than people have been shot at all protests/riots combined.

Lastly, it's not spin, it's called perspective.   Smirk
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 11:07 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Who is they?  While there may be more, I can recall five people being shot at these protests, and of those five, three strongly appear to have been shot in self defense.  

Just curious but do you think the kid charged with murder was acting in self defense?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just curious but do you think the kid charged with murder was acting in self defense?

In Wisconsin?  Based on the available evidence, absolutely.  Bel and I have both publicly stated this opinion.

Do you believe otherwise?  If so, why?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 11:43 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In Wisconsin?  Based on the available evidence, absolutely.  Bel and I have both publicly stated this opinion.

Do you believe otherwise?  If so, why?

I just find it curious since you usually accept the police version without question.
Reply/Quote
Are they different because some people think they are starting a new Revolutionary war from....something?

[Image: Eg4g30oXsAAWa38?format=jpg&name=medium]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I just find it curious since you usually accept the police version without question.

Have you seen the police version?  I sure haven't.  The DA rushed charges through, there was no way the police were done investigating this incident prior to the DA filing charges.  Thought you had me there, huh?

You didn't answer my questions though, do you believe he acted in self defense and why or why not?

(09-02-2020, 12:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Are they different because some people think they are starting a new Revolutionary war from....something?

[Image: Eg4g30oXsAAWa38?format=jpg&name=medium]

Since we're into parsing hairs here, the man does not use the word "war" in his tweet.  You can have a revolution without armed conflict.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 12:15 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Have you seen the police version?  I sure haven't.  The DA rushed charges through, there was no way the police were done investigating this incident prior to the DA filing charges.  Thought you had me there, huh?

You didn't answer my questions though, do you believe he acted in self defense and why or why not?

Since we're into parsing hairs here, the man does not use the word "war" in his tweet.  You can have a revolution without armed conflict.

Oh!  That's why he referenced the "shot heard round the world" that started the Revolutionary WAR.  Because that wasn't an armed conflict?

"parsing"

Cool
Reply/Quote