Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why are we ALWAYS blaming Marvin Lewis?
Can some people cut the dude some SLACK... He is our GM, runs our drafts, coaches our players.... has kept continuity.... Pushed Mike Brown out of the decision making... and been a staple for our team that just made the playoffs 5 years in a row.

Now lets be realistic... Yes we made the playoffs 5 years in a row... But we had MASSIVE changes this year that were huge hurdles to overcome...

AND on top of all of this below, we won the AFC North, so we were playing with a 1st place schedule!

Are people forgetting all of the below......?

1. Losing our Offensive Coordinator Hue Jackson to the Cleveland Browns
  2. Losing Leon Hall to the New York Giants
  3. Losing Reggie Nelson to the Oakland Raiders
  4. Losing Andre Smith to the Minnesota Vikings
  5. Losing Marvin Jones Jr. to the Detroit Lions (currently has 46 receptions for 797 yards and 4 TDs)
  6. Losing Mohammed Sanu to the Atlanta Falcons (currently has 49 receptions for 521 yards and 3 TDs)
  7. Losing Brandon Tate to the Buffalo Bills
  8. Not having Vontaze Burfict for the first 3 games of the season
  9. Not having Tyler Eifert for the first 6 games of the season, injured in the Pro-Bowl
  10. Andy Dalton coming off of sitting the last 8 games of 2015 due to a thumb injury
  11. 1st round draft pick William Jackson III injured before season begins
  12. 4th round draft pick Andrew Billings injured before season begins
  13. Our spark plug on offense and consistent producer Giovani Bernard injured week 11
  14. Our best player and offensive PLAYMAKER AJ Green injured week 11
In the end, Marvin Lewis fought for change and is the MAIN reason we have good drafts, he is the main reason we have consistency, and he is the main reason we have a culture shift where ELITE TALENT players like AJ Green are saying I WANT TO STAY HERE.. Stay here as in, be a Cincinnati Bengal for the rest of his career.

Does anyone else remember when Marvin Lewis first showed up and he said leave if you don't want to be here and Takeo Spikes literally sprinted out of the door? Does anyone else remember Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer demanding their ways out of town? Or Corey Dillon flicking off our fans in Paul Brown Stadium?

Yes this year sucked, but I guarantee about 15-20 other teams in the NFL would kill to have our roster, our programs consistency, and our winning percentage over the past 6 years.

Sure it would be awesome to have Jon Gruden or some high profile coach, but Mike Brown is never going to do that, we have Marvin, he wants to win here, and the players aren't demanding their way out with him as our leader.

This year sucked but with everything that happened, its not all MARVIN LEWIS'S fault... The same guy who has groomed Mike Zimmer who the Minnesota Vikings fanbase think is the second coming of Jesus... and Jay Gruden who has been doing wonders with Kirk Cousins and the Redskins... And last but not least, Hue Jackson.

I believe in Marvin.. but our PRO FOOTBALL team is also run like a small family business... Yes, the Patriots have an owner who also owns Kraft Cheese... So he gives people the ability to run their football team... We don't... I'm pretty sure Mike Browns whole family have important jobs... Just as if they were running a local hardware company thats been passed down for generations.. Do they deserve those jobs? Lets call for some of them to be fired before Marvin. At least Marvin has done things I love and is held accountable publicly.
[Image: ladies_stop_hatin_tshirt-rb6ec66b21fc648...ml_324.jpg][Image: Marvin%20Lewis_640px_1450393024152_28578...40_480.jpg]

-- WHO DEY THINK GONNA BEAT DEM BENGALS!! --
Reply/Quote
Marvin IS NOT the GM. Mike Brown and Tobin share those duties.

But...you have a point. A lot of the things on your list are organizational failures. Losing free agents, etc. Philosophy issues. Not using free agency as fully as they should, etc.

You don't just fail to win a playoff game for 26+ years due to bad luck.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You don't just fail to win a playoff game for 26+ years due to bad luck.

BINGO!!!  We have a winner!!!

MB is the problem.  Marvin Lewis is just trying to do the job the best he can.  MB hires and extends!
Reply/Quote
What a waste of op's time. Top 7 points start with "losing". The whole operation is that bright orange dog shit.
Reply/Quote
You could make a really long list of reasons why Marvin Lewis has not won a playoff game as a head coach.

I once made excuses for Marvin.
Reply/Quote
Also, because he's a dirty diaper.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 10:32 PM)MC Howley Wrote: Can some people cut the dude some SLACK... He is our GM, runs our drafts, coaches our players.... has kept continuity.... Pushed Mike Brown out of the decision making... and been a staple for our team that just made the playoffs 5 years in a row.

Now lets be realistic... Yes we made the playoffs 5 years in a row... But we had MASSIVE changes this year that were huge hurdles to overcome...

AND on top of all of this below, we won the AFC North, so we were playing with a 1st place schedule!

Are people forgetting all of the below......?

1. Losing our Offensive Coordinator Hue Jackson to the Cleveland Browns
  2. Losing Leon Hall to the New York Giants
  3. Losing Reggie Nelson to the Oakland Raiders
  4. Losing Andre Smith to the Minnesota Vikings
  5. Losing Marvin Jones Jr. to the Detroit Lions (currently has 46 receptions for 797 yards and 4 TDs)
  6. Losing Mohammed Sanu to the Atlanta Falcons (currently has 49 receptions for 521 yards and 3 TDs)
  7. Losing Brandon Tate to the Buffalo Bills
  8. Not having Vontaze Burfict for the first 3 games of the season
  9. Not having Tyler Eifert for the first 6 games of the season, injured in the Pro-Bowl
  10. Andy Dalton coming off of sitting the last 8 games of 2015 due to a thumb injury
  11. 1st round draft pick William Jackson III injured before season begins
  12. 4th round draft pick Andrew Billings injured before season begins
  13. Our spark plug on offense and consistent producer Giovani Bernard injured week 11
  14. Our best player and offensive PLAYMAKER AJ Green injured week 11
In the end, Marvin Lewis fought for change and is the MAIN reason we have good drafts, he is the main reason we have consistency, and he is the main reason we have a culture shift where ELITE TALENT players like AJ Green are saying I WANT TO STAY HERE.. Stay here as in, be a Cincinnati Bengal for the rest of his career.

Does anyone else remember when Marvin Lewis first showed up and he said leave if you don't want to be here and Takeo Spikes literally sprinted out of the door? Does anyone else remember Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer demanding their ways out of town? Or Corey Dillon flicking off our fans in Paul Brown Stadium?

Yes this year sucked, but I guarantee about 15-20 other teams in the NFL would kill to have our roster, our programs consistency, and our winning percentage over the past 6 years.

Sure it would be awesome to have Jon Gruden or some high profile coach, but Mike Brown is never going to do that, we have Marvin, he wants to win here, and the players aren't demanding their way out with him as our leader.

This year sucked but with everything that happened, its not all MARVIN LEWIS'S fault... The same guy who has groomed Mike Zimmer who the Minnesota Vikings fanbase think is the second coming of Jesus... and Jay Gruden who has been doing wonders with Kirk Cousins and the Redskins... And last but not least, Hue Jackson.

[Image: ladies_stop_hatin_tshirt-rb6ec66b21fc648...ml_324.jpg][Image: Marvin%20Lewis_640px_1450393024152_28578...40_480.jpg]
  YEAH WE REMEMBER IT WELL, AND TWO  OF THEM NOW HAVE WON PLAYOFF GAMES AS WELL AS SUPERBOWLS

No more MEDIOCRITY!!!

Reply/Quote
Mike Brown isn't firing himself, or any family members, so you're simply not going to get any accountability there. The only other option is to hold the head coach accountable (and he has plenty of his own to be accountable for)...but since he has been a part of the inner circle for so long, he is basically immune to being held accountable as well. 
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis has been cut more slack than a zip line over the Grand Canyon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Anyone who rags on Marvin, I challenge you to name ONE other NFL HC who managed to win a playoff game in 13 years. Go ahead.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 10:39 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: BINGO!!!  We have a winner!!!

MB is the problem.  Marvin Lewis is just trying to do the job the best he can.  MB hires and extends!

Yep. Fans will explain it away. Last year - "The refs were out to get us." "We had key injuries." "We lost too many coaches." "We lost critical players."

It's all excuses. The fact is that EVERY NFL team has  won a playoff game since we lost won one. EVERY. January 6, 1991 was the last one.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 11:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mike Brown isn't firing himself, or any family members, so you're simply not going to get any accountability there. The only other option is to hold the head coach accountable (and he has plenty of his own to be accountable for)...but since he has been a part of the inner circle for so long, he is basically immune to being held accountable as well. 

It's the same thing with Paul Alexander, etc.

You see what's happening around the NFL...Coaches get 2 maybe 3 years to turn things around and are fired if they don't.
Reply/Quote
Even peers, ex-players, pro analysts think Marvin has had MORE than enough slack here.

Then there's you...
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's not the least bit confusing. You even answered your own question. Players come and go, assistant coaches come and go. Marvin is the constant. If A-B always equals A then at some point you know A is the one screwing the equation up.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 11:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Anyone who rags on Marvin, I challenge you to name ONE other NFL HC who managed to win a playoff game in 13 years.  Go ahead.

Lol
Reply/Quote
You are one clueless fan. What I really think it is, marvin has maxed out. We know his product that he serves, it's consistent. He was a great Dc. But so was Dick labeau, even more so in my opinion. Dick was given two years and out the door. He didn't have a qb or offense, kind of like hue jackson in Cleveland.

I thought marvin had more control since 2010. Don't you think he has some control on players contracts? I have heard from Stephen a Smith ,marvin tries to talk down players on money and points to his cheap contract. What I notice in free agency, is them over paying for the wrong guys. Lewis only sticks to who he knows too, he's to scared of the unknown. He's also like that during the season.

Marvin lewis in in control of who starts also. He has no accountability system. If they would of replaced cedric and nugent even. We'd probably be a wild card team by now.

Bottom line I guess you ate just like lewis and brown, scared of change. Whats the worst that can happen at this point? We still don't win big games?? We still don't beat the Steelers? Still no ring?
Reply/Quote
You lost me at "pushed Mike Brown out of the decision making"
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 12:04 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You lost me at "pushed Mike Brown out of the decision making"

He did in terms of drafts and a lot of huge player personnel decisions....

Do people forget when Mike Brown use to demand all decision making even on who was on Marvin Lewis's staff?

Everyone here is acting like babies... Like the grass is always greener on the other side. Im not a clueless fan, Im just realistic and also appreciate of at least having a winning chance now, unlike being a franchise like Cleveland, who has 0. Which I feel like if 75% of the jabronis here were in charge, we would be in that exact same position as the Browns, 0-16.

-- WHO DEY THINK GONNA BEAT DEM BENGALS!! --
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 12:21 AM)MC Howley Wrote: He did in terms of drafts and a lot of huge player personnel decisions....

Do people forget when Mike Brown use to demand all decision making even on who was on Marvin Lewis's staff?

Everyone here is acting like babies... Like the grass is always greener on the other side. Im not a clueless fan, Im just realistic and also appreciate of at least having a winning chance now, unlike being a franchise like Cleveland, who has 0. Which I feel like if 75% of the jabronis here were in charge, we would be in that exact same position as the Browns, 0-16.

There it is...the typical Bengals fans trump card where they compare the Bengals to the absolute worst current situation in the NFL...the 0-16 Browns to prove things are good here. It's also used to justify why not spending money in free agency is the right move...Look at the Redskins and Dolphins after all!

Well...the Browns have won a playoff game since we last have. Chew on that one. In fact, EVERY NFL team has.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis is not good at the job in which he is employed. He needs to go, and it's that black and white.
Reply/Quote