Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didnt Zac drain the clock at end of OT
(09-11-2022, 08:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: To me, one guy lost this game.....but everyone is due an egg to lay now and then. 

Apparently "everyone" never includes Zac.

He gets credit for all the wins because of his magic fairy dust and "winning mentality".  But every loss is blamed on a player or a different coach.

Why can't we all blame Zac for not using his "winning mentality" in today's game?

Marvin Lewis would have been CRUCIFIED if this had happened on his watch.  In fact, Marvin Lewis was here 16 years and when I ask fans for an example of him losing a game due to poor clock management no one can give a specific example.  But yesterday Zac made a horrible decision that led directly to us losing a game, and a lot of people here are refusing to give him any blame.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Apparently "everyone" never includes Zac.

He gets credit for all the wins because of his magic fairy dust and "winning mentality".  But every loss is blamed on a player or a different coach.

Why can't we all blame Zac for not using his "winning mentality" in today's game?

Marvin Lewis would have been CRUCIFIED if this had happened on his watch.  In fact, Marvin Lewis was here 16 years and when I ask fans for an example of him losing a game due to poor clock management no one can give a specific example.  But yesterday Zac made a horrible decision that led directly to us losing a game, and a lot of people here are refusing to give him any blame.

Agreed 100%

Taylor absolutely deserves blame and criticism. Anytime we are in a position to win and his mistakes cost us a game, he deserves blame.
That is the gig. You do what you can to win, despite the circumstances up to that point.

Burrow sucked, but he led us back. Taylor then contributed to this loss by not doing his part. Not putting it all on Taylor, but he is the head coach and there were a lot of boneheaded decisions to close out this game.

I don't understand the weird blame shielding Taylor is receiving. I like Taylor, but I still expect competent coaching. It is fair to call him out.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:12 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That he built

He didn't build sh^%, he got Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase by being so bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Apparently "everyone" never includes Zac.

Who? I see like seven threads blaming him, lol. When players shit the bed, we usually credit them for losing. When Marvin or Zac do/did it, they get that credit. For example, I think Zac cost us the SF game last year by not trusting Joe late in that game. I think Lou blew the Jets game, and I think Joe blew the Bears game. There are instances where it's a little bit of everyone and everything that factors in to losses. Yesterday wasn't one of those days. 

By the same token Dalton and Palmer would have been crucified for yesterday, and rightfully so....but for some reason Joe's getting a pass from a few posters. You can't have it both ways, try as you might.

If you want some insight into the decision regarding the early punt snap, you can head over to Bengals.com and read the presser highlights. Or don't......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:30 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: There were loads of things which sunk us. Only good things for me were Chase's numbers and the defence. It was about as awful a performance as anyone could've envisioned. Could also say the mental fortitude shown by tying the game in spite of all the errors, was good too.

Why I'm so frustrated with the kicking screw ups, is that we'd been so bad and still put ourselves in a spot to win... then screwed up AGAIN on what is the most straightforward thing in the entire game. It's the most Bengals of things to do, and we're meant to be proving we're past that baggage now. 'This team is different' etc.... well yesterday they were as Bungles as any. You should be able to make an extra point or a 29-yard FG with some guy from this forum snapping the ball. But you have to be somewhat prepared for one guy getting injured, and I just don't think we looked like we were. 

Burrow was historical levels of bad, but just due to the chronology of the game, we did overcome that. He in part did, the defence massively did... then just simple things cost us again. Make no mistake, we go nowhere if Burrow doesn't improve massively, but people might be highlighting that less as he's generally proven he is the guy in the past, so people have faith he'll be fine. Basic stuff like bleeding the clock in OT, falling on bad snaps... attempting blocking on a game winning XP attempt... failing on those things is just so basic. But it's one game, we'll see over the course of the season.

I think that's fair enough. Good post.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:50 AM)Pezmerga Wrote: I like Taylor, but he contributed to our loss as well. This team was not prepared. He botched a few things that kept us from winning, despite Burrow having a really bad 1st half. Burrow did have a better 2nd half, and with better coaching and in game decisions, we win that game.

Yes, Burrow deserves blame, but I am not going to ignore that Taylor also had a bad showing. I will call it like it is.
How do you not challenge that TD throw to Chase? I get not wanting to kick a FG with Harris out, but we came away with 0 points on that drive. You have to challenge in that situation. I think this is much worst than the leaving time on the clock with our last Punt in OT. 

Also, Taylor should have made it clear, that any bad snap be downed on that FG attempt on 3rd down in OT. And if he did make it clear, then Huber also deserves some flack.

With that said, I am not calling for anyone's head. No need to panic after week 1, but there are things to learn from.

I agree, after seeing the angle that Nico posted earlier today, not challenging that play was crazy. That was probably the worst thing he did yesterday. 

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 06:44 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: If your not going to play for the tie go for it on 4th and 16.

He did a bad job coaching yesterday, but that mistake makes him incompetent. That was football 101.
Reply/Quote
I really dont get it. The analysts on ESPN and CBS understand it. Here is from CBS, Yes Burrow needs to play better but head coach Zac Taylor did him no favors with his inept coaching. The 2 glaring bad decisions by Taylor contributed greatly to this loss.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, after seeing the angle that Nico posted earlier today, not challenging that play was crazy. That was probably the worst thing he did yesterday. 

The 4 play calls from the half yard line were the worst IMO
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:40 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The 4 play calls from the half yard line were the worst IMO

I agree, they weren't good either. That said, if we win that challenge, and we should have, those plays aren't ran. There was so much wrong on offense yesterday....and then special teams. Defense kept us in it.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:37 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I really dont get it. The analysts on ESPN and CBS understand it. Here is from CBS, Yes Burrow needs to play better but head coach Zac Taylor did him no favors with his inept coaching. The 2 glaring bad decisions by Taylor contributed greatly to this loss.

According to Fox, Burrow had one of the worst halves in league history....

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bengals-joe-burrow-one-worst-first-half-performances-nfl-history

Here's CBS' take....

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/what-happened-to-joe-burrow-against-the-steelers-examining-bengals-qbs-play-in-week-1/

.....but Matt Ryan had a similar game too.....

https://deadspin.com/matt-ryan-and-joe-burrow-overslept-and-missed-the-first-1849524801

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 06:49 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: He’s not smart.

You add nothing to this board
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:55 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: According to Fox, Burrow had one of the worst halves in league history....

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bengals-joe-burrow-one-worst-first-half-performances-nfl-history

Here's CBS' take....

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/what-happened-to-joe-burrow-against-the-steelers-examining-bengals-qbs-play-in-week-1/

.....but Matt Ryan had a similar game too.....

https://deadspin.com/matt-ryan-and-joe-burrow-overslept-and-missed-the-first-1849524801

It was definitely a tale of 2 half’s…

Which is somewhat reassuring that it was just a matter of shaking off the rust.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was definitely a tale of 2 half’s…

Which is somewhat reassuring that it was just a matter of shaking off the rust.

Yes. He bounced back in the second half. He's gotta learn a little patience with the way teams are going play them this year. He'll be fine.

Reply/Quote
My question is why we weren't playing for a touchdown?
Reply/Quote
Blame to go around. Not all on one person.

Burrow with the turnovers and sacked 7 times.
Defense not getting any turnovers and just 1 sack.
Wilcox with the bad LS snaps.
Thomas with the dropsies.
Taylor's playcalling, not challenging the Chase non-TD call, and overall clock management.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I thought that was intentional grounding on the trubisky end zone pressure
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 06:11 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: My question is why we weren't playing for a touchdown?

Kicking the FG on 3rd and 8 in OT was so bad.

You knew what was going to happen

Try and get a first down. Score 6. Walk off and try not to kick
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 06:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Blame to go around. Not all on one person.

Burrow with the turnovers and sacked 7 times.
Defense not getting any turnovers and just 1 sack.
Wilcox with the bad LS snaps.
Thomas with the dropsies.
Taylor's playcalling, not challenging the Chase non-TD call, and overall clock management.

Burrow missed some throws as well an accurate throw to Thomas on the double move could have been 6 had he caught it.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:50 AM)Pezmerga Wrote: I like Taylor, but he contributed to our loss as well. This team was not prepared. He botched a few things that kept us from winning, despite Burrow having a really bad 1st half. Burrow did have a better 2nd half, and with better coaching and in game decisions, we win that game.

Yes, Burrow deserves blame, but I am not going to ignore that Taylor also had a bad showing. I will call it like it is.
How do you not challenge that TD throw to Chase? I get not wanting to kick a FG with Harris out, but we came away with 0 points on that drive. You have to challenge in that situation. I think this is much worst than the leaving time on the clock with our last Punt in OT. 

Also, Taylor should have made it clear, that any bad snap be downed on that FG attempt on 3rd down in OT. And if he did make it clear, then Huber also deserves some flack.

With that said, I am not calling for anyone's head. No need to panic after week 1, but there are things to learn from.

Simmons runs the special teams. It was his job to ask Zac what to do on the punt. There was a communication error as Zac said in the presser and covered for Simmons. Disappointed Darrin hasn’t owned up. It was a mistake not challenging the Chase catch but they thought they’d better hurry up an snap in case they’d challenge the actual catch. I think Taylor deserves some scrutiny on not playing the OL some in preseason. I realize it’s risky but actually it was Williams and Volson they picked on.

I get trying to protect the team and 20+ games comes into play but you have to be ready for the opener. Joe I can see
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote